(Topic ID: 304620)

Distributors selling All Pins over MSRP!

By playtwowin

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 306 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by tallkid84
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should Distributors be allowed to sell over MSRP on all titles? ”

• Yes 115 votes
      37%
    • No 160 votes
      51%
    • Not buying NIB titles. 36 votes
      12%

(311 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20220221-212809-916 (resized).png
    51i1QgfxSLL._AC_SY1000_ (resized).jpg
    giphy-4.gif
    av gif.gif
    japanese-car-mods (resized).jpg
    cat-bite.gif
    shame-gameofthrones.gif
    clowns-pies.gif
    Screenshot_20211206-213518 (resized).png
    Biglebowskiposter (resized).jpg
    F507AD51-637A-4457-8A08-47719B42B9BB (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot from 2021-12-02 08-55-58 (resized).png
    E27ACD96-C9AA-4E98-8E6E-8CEBE81F8390 (resized).png
    590DF8DB-0DEB-4234-B116-5CEEFF855190.gif
    N21nLI.gif
    712759E6-0E64-4D60-A00C-F266394DEFAF (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nashtyfunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 2 years ago

Well of course they're going to, because that's what the market can bear.
    People applaud CGC for selling CCr LEs under market value but what did that do? Now you've got $1250 machines that went in 30 seconds and people have already flipped them for $15k.
    If distros are selling too low, the machines get snatched up and resold at high retail. If distros are selling for MSRP +$1k - $2k then the market has a bit of a cushion and the flippers are the ones getting screwed.

It's just my opinion, but I hate the way flipping works in pinball, and this entire thread is evidence that we're backwards thinking.
    Why should a distro, who assumes all the risk, has to pay for staff, rent, deal with customers etc. make $1800 on a machine but then the end buyer can do nothing and flip their position (not even take delivery of the game) for a $5k profit? Who exactly wants that? Just the guy making $5k on the back end.

If you're buying pinball machines that you love, paying $1k over MSRP to get what you want directly from a distro NIB sounds a lot better than paying say $15k for a Godzilla LE on the resale market.

Just my thoughts, but the ultra rich guys in the hobby shouldnt be making more to resale something than a distro makes on the initial sale. They're also the ones who have to spend years getting rid of Beatles machines that no one wanted.

#55 2 years ago

Yeah, I don't disagree with anything there. I definitely leverage my buying power and relationships to continue to get "in demand" LEs at release. I also get them to play them and enjoy them because I like to play pinball. I hate scalping and I am a guy who wants my game to play it.

That said, I think there's a balance there. If Distros want to take care of their long time clients and give them an LE at a good price, that's great. If they have 3 left and and 30 strangers want them, I'm on board with them selling over MSRP. Granted, it doesnt really matter what I think, but it's what I would do if I were in that situation.

I do think the difference is you've always been able to get pros and premiums for MSRP and I'm conflicted on how I feel about those games being sold higher by distros. I think so long as folks can get them at MRSP and the worst thing that happens if they have to wait 3-6-9 months then that's reasonable.
    If distros are pushing their MSRP buyers to next year and selling NIB stock first runs over MSRP because there are people who will pay $10,500 for a premium Godzilla right now, I don't like that either, but I get it.
    Thankfully, I dont think that's happening.

The vast majority of the > MSRP sales have been on LE, CEs, SLE, etc. which "shouldn't" impact the pro and premium buyers.
    I also think as long as Stern has the North American distro network as large as it is, there will always be folks selling the pros and premiums at MSRP. You might just be on a 2nd or 3rd run.

If Stern can get their games out the door quicker, none of this is an issue any more. They're leaving a fortune on the table because they cant get their backlog down to a reasonable queue.

Quoted from Frax:

As someone with a VASTLY different economic situation as your own, on the other end of the scale... I could give a very direct specific example of this but I'm not all about divulging your personal info... let me offer a different perspective:
    I want that, because it means that IF I get a game, I'm getting it for less, as opposed to being *assured* that I'm paying more money up front. I'd rather deal with the launch day gambling and scramble for a game than to just shell out a few thousand extra. I won't buy from scalpers or flippers in the event I don't get a game.
    The "problem" is the people that ARE buying from scalpers and flippers, and the sellers they're buying from, as it always has been. The people with zero patience and so much money that they don't give a damn about an extra "few" thousand. The distros are making money. Let's not go pretending that these guys are hanging on by a thread. Craig isn't struggling to pay his bills the last time I checked. Neither is JJ (GEX) or Nitro. They're in business for a reason...to make money. They're not offering things like free shipping and selling a game at a loss just to get a sale unless they absolutely HAVE TO. They work under the rules and contract they agreed to with Stern.
    Would I rather see distros making more money than scalpers or flippers? Yes, full stop.
    Is my purchase decision based on if I think the distro is making enough money or not? No, never.
    Would I be understanding if distros try to capitalize on the flipper/scalper market that currently exists and raise prices while removing free shipping? Sure, but I'm not even going to consider buying at that point.
    These guys (distros) are going to do what they're going to do, and not a single fart is going to be given about what our opinions are. The money is there for the free taking, because there's a crapton of people in this hobby that have lost perception of the relative value of money and products. But man I'm sure happy that some people got their CCRs for "currently reasonable" prices, instead of being pre-scalped by a manufacturer or distro.

#56 2 years ago

My Ultraman should be here in a few weeks. If I'm not feeling it I'm happy to put you first in line on it if ya want.

Quoted from Frax:

I mean, I'm skating a razor's edge trying to buy Ultraman, and I'd like a Godzilla Premium at some point, so I hear you there... doubt Godzilla will ever happen. Between the price increase again, combined with Stern's inability to actually meet demand and them dumping games well before they could ever "sell out"....I expect that in a year GZ Premiums will probably be minimum 17k. I'm not doing that shit.

#62 2 years ago

Shoot, you're gonna be waiting a while. My son loves that game so much I cant see ever getting rid of it. That's the new problem though is most of my stuff feels like "cant ever get rid of it". I may have to move my Indiana Jones or POTC one day. I hate to say it, but I just like playing the Sterns a lot more.

Quoted from friscopinball:

Patiently waiting for your Stranger Things LE to be available .

#98 2 years ago

woo hoo! That's just barely not me anymore.

Quoted from soapblox:

I blame everything with an account that is one year old or less

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nashtyfunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/distributors-selling-all-pins-over-msrp?tu=nashtyfunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.