0001380042595_3_A1C1_0600 (resized).png
Screenshot_20210514-112620_Facebook (resized).jpg
EDB6D7CA-2396-48A6-89F8-891B2430F422 (resized).jpeg
Stern (resized).png
artworks-000043177088-tg1mig-t500x500 (resized).jpg
cca86329f0f0acbd692d54bbff3cfbf8 (resized).jpg
i'M_OUT.gif
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vmax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#193 2 years ago

LOL. I’ve been taking a bit of a tongue-lashing on my pricing thread because I dared say that Stern isn’t responsible for all price increases, even after introducing MAP.

Looks like I’m right after all. But I’m used to that.

#195 2 years ago

(edited)

#273 2 years ago

At the risk of further civil war over pricing...

Here’s a sarcastic / real question.

What, exactly, IS the “universal” purchase price “supposed” to be for Stern LEs, Premiums, and Pros?
MAP? (Minimum Advertised Price)
MSRP? (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price)
Some specific price between MAP and MSRP?
Over MSRP?
Spin the Wheel of Fortune for random amount?

And what is too much to pay in every region?
MSRP?
$12,000?
$13,000?
$16,000?

Is a $9500 LE okay, but a $9700 LE is absurd?

There are nearly as many opinions as there are buyers and observers.

#278 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I won’t even have a discussion with my wife if the game is over $10k. Not because she’ll say “no”, but because it compromises my position that we need to save money where we can. If I was single, I probably still wouldn’t go over $10k.

Doesn’t this support the (obvious) fact that pricing perception is individual based upon many personal factors?

This has been central to all my points about pricing and who is responsible for increases or specific numbers, etc.

Once the amount exceeds MSRP, it certainly can’t be Stern’s “fault”, can it?

#289 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

If I didnt have one at MSRP, because I have a relationship with a distro and we're 4 days after reveal, I would absolutely throw an $11.5k offer at the 4 machines and I think that would be enough to win too. I'd be a lot happier than buying secondary market. At least I'd have a fair shot at not paying stupid money for it.

There you go being reasonable and rational with an undertanding of both the market and how supply and demand work in general. LOL.

#305 2 years ago

I just want humans to be honest and say they love low prices regardless of how pricing negatively affects manufacturers and sellers; and they hate high prices even when it’s warranted by the market-determined prices and other facets, and they don’t want businesses making too much money off of them. It’s a weird competition, and most are sore winners AND losers.

#321 2 years ago

The pinball industry and market is no different than many/most industries and markets that sell luxury items at negotiable prices that aren’t absolute.

The MSRP didn’t previously matter at some point because supply and demand was being met at the low end of the market. Stern, for example, instituted a MAP (minimum advertised price) policy for resellers that many wrongly think was the manufacturer driving end-user pricing. MAP is a standard industry practice that protects Distributors and Dealers from each other, among other benefits of standardization.

Now that there’s been 5+ years of huge industry growth, supply and demand has shifted constantly to where it is now. Distributors and Dealers aren’t in business to lose money or make as little money as possible. Pinball has never been this strong, and those businesses should make whatever profit they can while they can. This means each one will have a philosophy of how much is too much or too little.

There have always been “gouging” dealers and secondary market resellers in many industries and hobbies. It’s not going away unless the market goes away.

Supply and demand always determines pricing, low or high. The market is never wrong. People don’t like to be wrong. The free market is a pricing competition with strategies. Humans are sore winners AND losers, so most are going to always be complaining.

I’d confidently pay more money for what I want from someone I know and want to support (like ZMeny or Cointaker or Hemispheres or others). Price is NOT the most important factor in buying something.

#326 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Is the MAP program still in play? I see Mando premium being advertised for as little as $7,599 here on Pinside, seems like MAP is a thing of the past.

As far as I know, it is. But MAP is a minimum that wasn’t close to MSRP, contrary to many perceptions.

#344 2 years ago
Quoted from Jeffswack:

This isn't price gouging. It's not hotel rooms during s hurricane, masks during a pandemic or food during a famine. There Is absolutely 100% nothing immoral about it.
You all sound like a bunch of babies because you didn't get the shiny toy. Just the slightly less shiny one.
Who cares who gets the mark up. Distro, stern, end user. The market will speak. I don't see anyone crying for distros or stern when they release a clunker and have hundreds of thousands of dead weight on their balance sheet. Grow up. It's capitalism and likely the reason many of us can afford these overpriced toys.

The market is simply never wrong. Never.

#355 2 years ago

I’ve gotta wonder how many here would sell at or below MSRP if they were dealers with a specific limited allocation of Mandalorian machines.

Would you leave the money on the table?

Would you sell all LEs at $9,199?

Why not sell at a discounted street price below MSRP?

#357 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Nice straw man you’ve set up, but $5k-6k per game is what we’re talking about here.

It’s not a strawman at all. It’s me wondering how many have double standards based on whether they’re buyers or sellers, the latter making their living from negotiable sales items in a supply-and-demand market that’s an inferno.

And not all the ads on Pinside are for $5-6k over MSRP. Several are in the $10-11k price range. The principle applies, regardless.

Is there a specific price or over-MSRP-% that determines “gouging”? And what is the term for a “moderate” surplus over MSRP?

#363 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I always believe that a baseball analogy serves the best rebuttal. Both Ted Williams and Stan Musial ASKED for a pay reduction following a year in which they thought their performance on the field was less than stellar. It takes a special person to be like that, to not optimize their financial standing in life as much as possible. People like that are few and far between. But they do exist.

I’ve done that on both sides. Modified my own compensation downward when I was unable to perform as promised, and paid more even when a seller didn’t provide what was agreed and expected.

I guess I don’t see the correlation to pinball manufacturers, dealers, and a red-hot market with demand at a peak that registers on a thermometer.

Are you saying dealers have under-performed and should sell at lower prices because they somehow haven’t fulfilled their obligations to buyers?

#365 2 years ago

In a recent pricing thread blaming Stern for literally everything related to price increases, the sentiment was that MSRP doesn’t matter at all and street price is all that matters.

Apparently, that’s only true when the market is down and it benefits buyers to have a discounted street price. When the market is red-hot, all of a sudden MSRP becomes not only relevant, but the threshold that can’t be crossed by sellers without being considered gouging pirates and thieves who are immoral and unfair.

This paradigm is as old as the free market and negotiable pricing. The market is red hot for pinball. The market is never wrong. Never. If it is, then bargain discount street prices from years ago mean buyers were the gouging pirates and thieves who were immoral and unfair.

The double standards are very telling.

#367 2 years ago

Attempting to insult me won’t change your double standards, Captain Entitlement.

#369 2 years ago

Let me guess... You’ll buy an everyday car at invoice, but balk at a specialty car being sold for MSRP or over. Buyers have always had double standards. It’s called greed and unfair principles.

Unlike “Jared”, I don’t work for Stern, and I think street price is fine when it’s below, at, or above MSRP. That’s because I understand supply and demand, and I’m not greedy for low prices when they don’t exist in a strong market; so I don’t take it out on manufacturers and dealers, etc. Rationality and reason are hard to come by amongst discount buyers.

#370 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Selling for a immediate 50% markup while adding no value is a dick move. All that’s changed is who the dicks are. If some dealers want to become flippers, that’s fine. But we don’t have to support them.

Exactly. The market is the market and will correct everyone, including those who over-price. So far, I see the market supporting the big increases.

I paid $10,900 for my Mandalorian LE (shipped), and was glad I didn’t have to pay even more.

Other threads indicate buyers demand discounted street prices during weaker markets, but also demand limited mark-ups during stronger markets. Buyers are more guilty of “dick moves” than sellers.

#372 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

No, the example was to show an example of the statement, "It takes a special person to be like that, to not optimize their financial standing in life as much as possible". No more relevance than that regarding pin distros or anyone else. Sorry I was not clear.

Gotcha. Sorry I didn’t connect on that originally.

#383 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I hope you guys that buy this game at incredibly inflated prices don’t find out they the game blows. Good luck.

Doubtful and unlikely. Have you seen the layout and brief gameplay video? It’s likely to be somewhere from great to epic.

#387 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

That was sincere BTW. I hope its a good game for those who buy it.

I getchu. But other than Munsters not ultimately getting the code it deserves, I can’t really say many modern Sterns have been total duds.

#390 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They also donated their venue/games for the IFPA champs a few years ago and it was a ton of fun.
It's not all black and white! I mean, yeah, I listed a HUO Monster Bash for 20,000 clams, but I also helped an old lady walk across 9th avenue yesterday.
There is good and evil in everybody!

Did the $20k Monster Bash sell?

#395 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not yet! I just haven't found a qualified buyer yet who I would be comfortable selling to!
Please feel free to pm me a link to your application video!

I’m admittedly very unqualified.

#435 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

What we are seeing are the beginning stages of hyper inflation. It’s only going to get worse.
Good news is when jobs finally adjust and pay proper cost of living you’ll be making $800k a month! Bad news is pinball machines will cost 4 million NIB. :/

This is way more true than most realize, even if they’re thinking about it on some scale. 25% of all US dollars in existence have been “created” by the Fed (out of thin air as more fiat) in the last 6 months. One fourth!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,999.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Maine Home Recreation

$ 19.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

9,900 (Firm)
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tatamy, PA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin Wiz Mods

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 290.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Beyond Shop

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vmax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/distributors-price-gouging-mandalorian-les?tu=vmax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.