0001380042595_3_A1C1_0600 (resized).png
Screenshot_20210514-112620_Facebook (resized).jpg
EDB6D7CA-2396-48A6-89F8-891B2430F422 (resized).jpeg
Stern (resized).png
artworks-000043177088-tg1mig-t500x500 (resized).jpg
cca86329f0f0acbd692d54bbff3cfbf8 (resized).jpg
i'M_OUT.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 442 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
#1 2 years ago

So Stern isn’t changing pricing for this release yet some distributors are charging 12500 for a 9200 LE, and in some cases telling customer to “give me your best offer”. This is before the game is even shown... are you we cool with this? Seems like an extremely shitty way to do business.

#2 2 years ago

Ouch!! That really hurts the pocket book. But, on the other hand , people seem to have a quarry of money to blow up in today's market....

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

So Stern isn’t changing pricing for this release yet some distributors are charging 12500 for a 9200 LE, and in some cases telling customer to “give me your best offer”. This is before the game is even shown... are you we cool with this? Seems like an extremely shitty way to do business.

Guess Kaneda called it...again

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4 2 years ago

Need to list all the distros price gouging here that way we can tell them all to F’ off bynot buying another pin from them.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

this here that way

“This is the way”

#6 2 years ago

But I bet it’s fine for you to get a great deal on a slow selling title...why shouldn’t it work both ways?

This is a true luxury item no one needs....don’t like the price don’t buy it.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

distributors I’ve heard That are doing this:
PinballSTAR
Gameroom goodies

DUDE, I to NOT even represent Stern so might want to change your thread you goof - spreading shit you don't even know what you are talking about... If you 'heard' this - who'd you hear it from ? Obviously you didn't call and be told that by me LOL - because I don't sell Stern. Maybe instead of posting stuff you have no idea what you are talking about maybe post the name of the person you 'heard' it from and get them involved and I can guarantee they didn't even talk to me.... You have your names wrong so maybe you might want to change your post instead of hurting a good distributor. Probably no Stern distributor is even doing this and you are just stirring a shit pot - I feel bad for them too.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

But I bet it’s fine for you to get a great deal on a slow selling title...why shouldn’t it work both ways?

I’ve never seen a discounted stern that wasn’t a floor model or damaged in some way

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

DUDE, I to NOT even represent Stern so might want to change your thread you goof - spreading shit you don't even know what you are talking about... If you 'heard' this - who'd you hear it from ? Obviously you didn't call and be told that by me LOL - because I don't sell Stern. Maybe instead of posting stuff you have no idea what you are talking about maybe post the name of the person you 'heard' it from and get them involved and I can guarantee they didn't even talk to me.... You have your names wrong so maybe you might want to eat change your post instead of hurting a good distributor. Probably no Stern distributor is even doing this and you are just stirring a shit pot - I feel bad for them too.

Apologies. I’ll remove you from the post, i am just relaying what I read in the mando thread.

#10 2 years ago

I don’t think he’s even a stern distributor...

Edit: yes, I see he opined and confirmed that and then you removed his name.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

distributors I’ve heard That are doing this:
PinballSTAR
Gameroom goodies

PinballSTAR isn't a distributor for Stern.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I don’t think he’s even a stern distributor...

Ok I edited my post for accuracy, just relaying what I saw in the mando thread

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Ok I edited my post for accuracy, just relaying what I saw in the mando thread

Joe should be able to distribute the most Mandelorian pins because he’s surrounded by “Pew Pew Pews” in the old church.

#14 2 years ago

Be a shame if distributors jacked up the price before LE buyers could when flipping it to the next guy.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Remind me, why do we need distributors?

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Be a shame if distributors jacked up the price before LE buyers could when flipping it to the next guy.

I’d way rather the distributors make the money than the scalpers/flippers/speculators. Most people feel this way when the bulk (if not all) of the LEs were sold before the game was even officially announced.

#17 2 years ago

If you've been buying pins for long enough you have a relationship with a distributor and this would never happen. These just get flipped by guys on here anyways so what's the difference?

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

It is sorta stupid, I agree. Jjp even agreed with GNR. I get it if these were hugely produced items like tempurpedic mattresses. They're pinball. Cut out the middle man already.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Guess Kaneda called it...again

Did he call it or create it?

#20 2 years ago

While I think that is a super shitty practice, and I would never buy one from a place that did that, you cant really blame them. Im pretty sure the price Stern lists is their MSRP and therefore distributors have the right to increase the price if they feel there is high demand and a limited supply. Still a real dick move though.

#21 2 years ago

FUN in TX is doing this. A friend reached out to him after he posted on FB that he can get people a game. He’s basically doing an auction...how much over are you willing to go?!

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

distributors are charging 12500 for a 9200 LE, and in some cases telling customer to “give me your best offer”.

Obviously, distributors can do whatever they want but before charging above MSRP they may want to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Pinball is hot now, but may not always be. What will happen then? Buyers will go to the distributors that treated them right, not those that alienated them. I’m not a distributor but I would think the biggest key to their long term, sustained success is building customer loyalty. Not sure charging above MSRP achieves that result.

#23 2 years ago

Nothing wrong with this at all. It is a luxury item not bottled water being sold during a drought.

Is it a good strategy for building a loyal customer base? No.

#24 2 years ago

I think good/smart distros know that anything over a 'small' premium will just piss off their customers.

Better optics would be to sit on a couple and wait until you have them NIB. Then 'gouge' away at market price while looking like a hero for hooking up some lucky folks post production.

Bit of a gamble here of course if the game ends up sucking...

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Been saying this for years

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

It is sorta stupid, I agree. Jjp even agreed with GNR. I get it if these were hugely produced items like tempurpedic mattresses. They're pinball. Cut out the middle man already.

Even Mattresses are going direct to consumer via internet at must cheaper prices. I am with you, direct is the way to go. I have to take care of all my warranty stuff anyway via email/call directly with Stern.

#27 2 years ago

So vote with your wallet and buy a premium same exact game play
buy, play and enjoy

#28 2 years ago

For the piles of capital and marketing they can provide when the market isn't hot...They have quotas to hit to maintain their Stern distributorship, including 'forced' LE purchases.

#29 2 years ago

Wonder how many ‘resellers’ got burned badly in the PS5 fiasco.

Can’t wait to see the day one Mando LE 20k sales going up. Let’s see what the secondary market will bear.

#30 2 years ago

Some Car Dealerships do the same thing. The Govt stepped in and made the car makers put on a Moroni sticker that showed the MSRP and fuel ratings. Several dealerships in the DC area took it a step further. They make an addendum sticker that looks similar to the official sticker and put in next to it. With upcharges for undercoating, pinstripping, fabric care, tire warranty. This adds $2500 to the official cost of the vehicle. I was at a Toyota dealer in Springfield VA yesterday. They had those extra price stickers on the more popular models with an additional price of between 7 to 9 thousand dollars. Sucker born every minute they say....

#31 2 years ago

It is happening for sure. I don't know what to think of it. As long as the Premiums continue to have the same game features as the LEs, then I guess it doesn't bother me too much.

Although, it's even happening to a lesser extent on some hard-to-get Premiums too.

#32 2 years ago

This entire hobby is turning into a totally bullshit greed-fest.
Used to be really fun:

#33 2 years ago

Distributors have been doing this for many years. Prices have always been a sliding scale. If a game is more valuable, they will charge you more for it. If you have an established relationship with them, your odds of getting a sought after game are higher.

Please just shop around when a game is at the end of it's NIB supply. The price goes up no matter if the game was highly prized or not. They figure if you want the NIB game, you will pay for it. Or someone else will. No big deal. If people are willing to pay more, charge more. Stern already priced most normal folk out of the LE games, so just keep going.

LE games have been selling well, and the Mandalorian is a good theme (in my opinion). But this is why I will never buy a new LE. I don't buy games without playing them. If they are good games, they will be sold out long before I've had a chance to play them.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

This entire hobby is turning into a totally bullshit greed-fest.
Used to be really fun:

The greediness going on does not change how much fun I have
I have not bought nib since IM in 2014, I just play my old games and enjoy it.

There is a new aspect to this hobby that was not there before...its called "my dick is bigger than yours" and a lot of old timers are not interested in those shenanigans

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

There is a new aspect to this hobby that was not there before...its called "my dick is bigger than yours" and a lot of old timers are not interested in those shenanigans

i'M_OUT.gifi'M_OUT.gif
#37 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Very accurate assessment.
I've got a terrific inner circle luckily, and I am most grateful to all of them: More now than ever.

All of us hardcore collectors wanted pinball to grow and it has, just not in the ways many expected.

#38 2 years ago

If a distro is charging more than msrp,not including any tax and shipping, I strongly suggest you find another distro. Plenty of great ones out there. Personally, I use Cointaker for stern games and I’ve used Joe at Pinball star for jjp games in the past. Both have great service and never have I felt I was not treated fairly.

I don’t think naming those charging over msrp is necessary, just find another distro.

#39 2 years ago

Who needs a distro? I like having distributors, it’s easy to forget the work they put into this hobby. It’s easy to forget the deals they may cut to a loyal customer, weather it’s a fair trade-in, a guarantee for a specific model, or even going to bat for you when you have an issue. Distributors are a liaison between consumer and manufacturers and are very much needed.

Do you think you as an individual buyer of a few pins a year has the same influence as a distributor who buys 100s of pins a year?

Don’t you think the distributors provide feedback to the manufacturer that is in the consumers favor?

Manufacturers have a hard enough time cranking out their products, do they need to take on the additional task of shipping and handling individual pin sales to everyone?

I have an excellent relationship with my distributors, they have always taken care of me, they have become genuine friends of mine.

#40 2 years ago

Does anyone think that Stern wants to deal directly with each individual non-commercial customer?

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Does anyone think that Stern wants to deal directly with each individual non-commercial customer?

It’s been a long time since I’ve cared about what Stern wants.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

FUN in TX is doing this. A friend reached out to him after he posted on FB that he can get people a game. He’s basically doing an auction...how much over are you willing to go?!

They have never enjoyed the best reputation.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Funny I knew it was going to be this FUN guy doing this shit! Hes always trying to make a shady buck it seems.

Quoted from nicoy3k:

I’ve never seen a discounted stern that wasn’t a floor model or damaged in some way

Ive bought reduced NIB games 2x now since Stern said that distributors couldnt cut deals anymore. Guess which 2 games....WWE LE for $5600 and a WWE Pro for $3500 lol!

Quoted from nicoy3k:

Apologies. I’ll remove you from the post, i am just relaying what I read in the mando thread.

Id bet you got PinballStar mixed in there because of somebody mentioning him in the GnR thread saying they bought day 1 from him and didnt get there game yet when other distributors have taken care of day 1 buyers. Easy memory mistake.

#44 2 years ago

I personally don’t give a crap if it’s an le and I want it .. gouge away . Pluck my eye balls out I don’t give a damn .

#45 2 years ago

New trend:
Read something in a thread and start a thread about it.

#46 2 years ago

Just asking as this thread seems so confident with facts. Do we (you) actually know what is being gouged as last I checked Stern (the company actually selling the product) hasn't Officially set a price? Don't see anything on their website can you share the MSRP as advertised please.

#47 2 years ago

Amini’s in St. Louis was trying to sell a Led Zeppelin LE for 15.5. I don’t think they’re a Stern distributor, but instead a retailer, which I don’t really know the difference as it seems they were willing to do what a distributor does. Their price included their “white glove service” which was home set up and free maintenance and repairs l for like 2 years. They wouldn’t sell it without the “white glove service” on the LE but would on the other models.

#48 2 years ago

Seems to me that stern should have a problem with this, but they won’t because it benefits them. After all they crack down on distributors offering lower(street) prices. Why can they sell higher, but not lower? Oh I know. Because if I the distributors can charge more, then that means stern can charge more. On the flip side, if low price competition between distributors occurs, then stern can’t justify higher prices as easily. If you ask me, stern should crack down on both higher charges, and lower charges and only allow msrp to be offered by a distributor on nib.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

The game room guys were blowing out Beatles golds for like 6k? Somewhere around there back in early 2020. I recall seeing good pricing on WWE le’s, transformers, and 1 or two others that I can’t pinpoint because my memory is shit. It’s not super common but it does happen.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

The game room guys were blowing out Beatles golds for like 6k? Somewhere around there back in early 2020. I recall seeing good pricing on WWE le’s and 1 or two other semi recent games. It’s not super common but it does happen.

Yep I got one. Love that game and they were amazing to work with!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin Wiz Mods

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tatamy, PA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 22.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

9,900 (Firm)
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 495.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 442 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/distributors-price-gouging-mandalorian-les/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.