• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Galdaien
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20130426_003453.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Galdaien.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

So I got my Paragon almost up and running until the other day all the displays went out. I tested TP2 on the solenoid driver and it is not giving a consistant number for the DCV (number jumps around from .04 - 180) I tested R52 and the rest of the resistors and dioes inline with TP2 and they are all measuring fine individually. I'm using a physcially smaller .25A Fuse for F1 instead of the 3/16A (which is what the schematics call for). The displays were working with this fuse before, the only thing I did before the displays went out was replace some bulbs under the playfield and replace a toasty R52 with another 390 resistor.

TP4 on the solenoid driver is reading accuratly as well as TP2 on the Rectifier Board. I reflowed the solder of the the J3 Header pins just in case it might have been a cold/cracked solder.

Everything else works fine except sometimes the start button will not start a game on some powerups which is the lesser of my two worries.

Any ideas why TP2 on the solenoid driver is suddenly jumping around voltages when everything else seems to be ok?

Thanks!

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Yes ... Twizzle the HV adjust POT. The originals are long past their service life...

Thanks for the suggestion, although I did try to adjust the HV adjust knob from one end to the other and everywhere inbetween but nothing worked. Also, I did replace both of the caps on the board if anyone was thinking that might have been the problem.

#5 11 years ago

So I tested the HV POT and it's fluctuating smoothly from 0-25k on my DMM. Still trying to trouble shoot this problem if anyone has more suggestions.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Unplug all of the displays except for one and start from there. Like Baraka suggested it could be time for a total rebuild of the HV section? Did you rebuild J3's pins in the connector as well? Gotta make sure you're good on both sides of that connector.

Tried unplugging all displays except one, that one isn't lighting up, either. I rebuilt J3 headers and pins. It couldn't be the fuse, could it? I got a .25 instead of the .187 (3/16). Its a smaller fuse so I crimped the holder in to make it nice and snug. I know it worked with it in there before then after I replaced R52 is when I started to get no display.

Tp2 is jumping around with inconsistent numbers while tp4 (above tp2) and all other TPs are a solid number. I tested all of the resistors, etc in the high voltage section and they all read ok.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

TP2 is before the fuse. If the fuse is missing/poor connection/blown it will not effect what you see at tp2.
Check all the resistors in circuit. Zener diode is suspect.

Tested both diodes, replaced 4004 with 4007, checked all the resistors... still whacky TP2 #'s.

Could R35 affect TP2's reading at all? It seems like when I test the voltage on that resistor it fluctuates quite a bit and never lands on 100k ohms like it should read. I thought that resistor was inline with TP4, however, and TP4 is reading 250v like it should. Maybe I'm reading the schematics wrong, could anyone point me as to what all is inline with TP2?

Thanks again guys!

#11 11 years ago

Still not quite fixed. I Replaced R35 because it was reading funky. Found out that my replacement resistor did the same thing and that my original was actually ok when taken out of the board, just jumped all over the place on the DMM when it was in the circuit.

Can anyone help me out as to what resistor/cap directly affects R35? Maybe someone could list the resistors/caps down the line of R35? Just want to find the culprit that is making R35 flake out when it's in a circuit.

Here's a pic of the Schematic. R35 is listed in the lower left:

Thank you guys very much!

20130426_003453.jpg20130426_003453.jpg

#15 10 years ago

I tested TP 1 & 3 on my driver board, they are both reading 5v. I also tested TP 1 on my first display, it's also getting 5v.

Quoted from Half_Life:

What voltage are you getting out of VR1? Should be 140 VDC +/- 14 VDC. You can also pull the fuse which effectively isolates the HV circuit from everything downstream and check TP2 again. If stable, then your problem is downstream. If not stable, a little more troubleshooting on the circuit is in order.

VR1 diode is reading .613 with the DMM set to diode mode and one end out of the circuit. Is the 140 you are referring to in circuit when powered on? Also, are you saying to pull the fuse then power on the game and test TP2?

Thanks again

#17 10 years ago

So I took out the fuse and measured tp2 - its reading a consistant 3.14vdc. I tried to test the diode, not sure if I was doin it right but I couldnt get a constant number. I know it never got anywhere near 140 though...

What would you suggest at this point?

Thanks!

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Half_Life:

This test is helpful in determining what is next. You'll take a voltage reading (just like you did at TP2) on the cathode (banded side) of VR1. If it is not 140 VDC +/- 14 VDC then replace the Zener diode (1N5275A). If the voltage there is good, next measure the voltage on the collector (case) of Q23. This should be roughly 190VDC.
Have you replaced either of the large capacitors?

Yep, I have replaced both of the caps.

I tested the VDC of VR1, it's jumping around. it gets up to 150 at points but never stays. The other diode is reading a constant 250vdc.

Replace the VR1 or look at what might be causing it to be fluctuating? Weird that it tested fine out of circuit but not working in circuit. If it does need to be replaced, I don't have access to these diodes locally and just need the one. Would you happen to have an extra I could buy off you?

Thanks!

Thanks again!

#23 10 years ago

Alright I'll give it a go with a new diode. Sent you a PM Baraka.

Hopefully it does the trick! Thanks again to everyone, great support here.

1 week later
#24 10 years ago

Got your diodes in today Barak, thank you very much!

I am still having the same problem, even with the replaced diode the diode is reading about .185 vdc in circuit and staying pretty consistant around that range... What should I try out next?

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Check for voltage at the collector of Q23. If it is low replace C28. Still low replace all three transistors.
Test the three transistors with diode test on your DMM. All of them should test about the same. Has c26 filter cap been replaced?

Yeah, I replaced C26. If I replaced all of the components on the high voltage section that should be a fail-safe way to make sure this works, right? Or could it be something else not in that section that could be causing all this?

Thanks!

#28 10 years ago

Sounds good, what should they be reading when set testing in Diode mode?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Galdaien.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/displays-out-on-bally-paragon?tu=Galdaien and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.