• Latest reply 7 years ago by StratDoc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
#1 8 years ago

My F-14 has been completely restored to 100% working condition and we've enjoyed it in that state for about a month now. Late last night after a long New Years Eve of neighbors enjoying it, my son noticed the display is missing some of the legs of certain characters. What's happening?

#2 8 years ago

Did you try re-seating all the connectors to the display and on the board?

#3 8 years ago

I would suspect the 7180 chip on the display board. These chips control which segments get lit. These chips are known to go bad. The chip probably needs to be replaced.

Have you verified the problem in display test mode? Which segment is bad? Can you send a pic?

#4 8 years ago

Good suggestions guys...will come back to you. Just a question to Kevmad...would this chip go bad by segment or fail all together with no display at all? Like I said, most segments work, just noticed a degredation in one or two last night. Also, as I've never done a chip replacement, would I be safer to look at a new display board?

1 year later
#5 7 years ago

I am resurrecting this old thread. My player 1 and 2 displays all of a sudden rise have missing segments. This occurred after I removed the MPU board to replace a transistor that was missing. Looking at the schematIcs my board does not appear to correspond to the layout. For example, I have no U13 chip. Attached is an example of the missing segments.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#6 7 years ago

My text did not go through.

Missing segments on player 1 and 2. This occurred after I removed the CPU to replace a transistor. The board does not appear to correspond to the schematics. For example, my board has no u13 chip.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/display-suddenly-dropping-parts-of-characters and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.