disp6.jpg
disp5.jpg
disp4.jpg
disp3.jpg
disp2.jpg
disp1.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Hi!

This morning my pinball surprise me a bit.
The player#1's display looks like, try to tells me something in klingon language...
Not all the time, sometimes works ok, but mostly like this. I check its connector, but nothing happens... The other 4 display are working perfectly. Any idea? Thanks!

disp1.jpgdisp1.jpg disp2.jpgdisp2.jpg

#2 12 years ago

If its flickering from good to bad my guess would be a connector or cracked solder joint.

What pin is this?

#3 12 years ago

Reflow some solder on the back pins of that display

#4 12 years ago

An 1984 Bally.

Thanks guys, the resoldering was my idea too, I start to do it...

#5 12 years ago

Hm, interesting.
Both of the solderings looks good,as You can see it in the picture. The pins,and the display's too...
But, it was very dirty, this was the only part of my pinball, what isn't cleaned, touched. Now I clean them well, and than start the macnihe. Looks good, I play a few, and suddenly start to does again... I move the connectors, the wires, but nothing happens. Then I realise, one bulb is not working on my playfield, bonus board. I move the board's connector, and then, all error was fixed. Both the bulb, and the display. Then I play 20minutes, and everything working perfectly.
Can be a connection between the two errors, or that was just random? Before this, I realised, if one connector on my backbox lamp board was not installed properly, few laps not working, and the drop targets aren't work... But than, I think, it's just a random problem... Can this be?

disp3.jpgdisp3.jpg disp4.jpgdisp4.jpg disp5.jpgdisp5.jpg

#6 12 years ago

The large amount of dirt, graphite, and dust on that board is conductive. You could be having shorts due to all the crud. You should clean it alcohol.

#7 12 years ago

Now it looks like this. I clean with a brush, and air.

disp6.jpgdisp6.jpg

#8 12 years ago

Hi!
Hm,today the problem comes back... :/
The display's panel soldering looks ok,what else can be wrong?
I go and change it with an other one,then what happens...

#9 12 years ago

Did you look at the solder joints under magnification? If not you may not be able to see the very small fractures in a cold solder joint. Nearly all of these displays from this era suffer from this, so as a rule I suck all of the old solder off and then resolder the connector pins to eliminate that as an issue before doing any other diagnostic work.

Do the numbers on the display change or are the segments that are lit always the same?

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from Craigmack:

Did you look at the solder joints under magnification? If not you may not be able to see the very small fractures in a cold solder joint. Nearly all of these displays from this era suffer from this, so as a rule I suck all of the old solder off and then resolder the connector pins to eliminate that as an issue before doing any other diagnostic work.
Do the numbers on the display change or are the segments that are lit always the same?

Yes, Yes with these displays always reflow the solder first. Always. Your eyes are not good enough to see the cracks that could be causing this. Even if it dosent look like the problem it must me done. If not, no matter how much diagnosising you do the good chance you have bad solder joints still lingers. Besides, if there not cracked now by the time your done diagnosising you display problem they likely will be. You will be glad in the future you did.

#11 12 years ago

That was a dirty board.

#12 12 years ago

Hm, when it does this (in the last two hours oly 2mins),then flashing,dimming.
As i remember,always different segments. But if I move it,nothing happens... The pins,or the display solderig needs to reflow,what do you think?
I try to make a video from it...

#13 12 years ago

I would repin the connector. They lose there spring after a while and get brittle and break off or don't make good contact and will cause problems like this.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

That was a dirty board.

I clean them with brush,air and wet towel.
Now they looks like as on the last picture.

#15 12 years ago

Funny...
I turn it on,plan to make a video from it.
Aaaand:now the player 4 does this... Before the player1...
Now I'm confused a bit...

#17 12 years ago

So, any idea?

#18 12 years ago

To me, that looks like a connector issue.

#19 12 years ago

You may want to test the legs of the CPU chips that drive those displays (because of segment loss not whole display loss) but, I agree with Blackbeard, your problems seem very hit and miss which leads me to believe it could be a loose ground pin connection (because of the flickering and dimming of displays), or worn out pins period.

#20 12 years ago

Cold solder joints or weak molex connections.

#21 12 years ago

So, what I need to check and how, what do you think?

#22 12 years ago

Loose ground pin connection.

Hm,and how can i test the l ground pin?oose

#23 12 years ago

have you removed the display and swapped it with another?
this should let you know if it's a board/display issue, or a connector issue...

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from Craigmack:

Dumb question, you redo every single connection on the board?

#25 12 years ago

Not to be off topic, but did you guys ever get your order from Mad amusement yet? Most are saying reflow solder so do that first then if it persists then ask another question, one at a time as to not overwhelm yourself or confuse us.

#26 12 years ago

I've got a topic from it...

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from FatsoPilot:

Craigmack said:Did you look at the solder joints under magnification? If not you may not be able to see the very small fractures in a cold solder joint. Nearly all of these displays from this era suffer from this, so as a rule I suck all of the old solder off and then resolder the connector pins to eliminate that as an issue before doing any other diagnostic work.Do the numbers on the display change or are the segments that are lit always the same?Dumb question, you redo every single connection on the board?

Which board? Sometimes playes one's, next time player 4's doing it...
And sometimes working great. Must be a contact problem,but where?

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from FatsoPilot:

Dumb question, you redo every single connection on the board?

Hm, which connection you think?

#29 12 years ago

I don't know much about Bally's, most that I have had were Gottliebs. However, I do think it is a connection problem. Reseat ALL the connectors that run from your MPU board to the displays and from the MPU to your driver boards. Hell probably wouldn't be a bad idea to just reseat all your connectors and look at them for corrosion etc. while you do it.

5 months later
#30 11 years ago

Hi!
Today the problem comes back on my 4.th player panel. I change it to another place,but the panel is wrong... I resolder the pins(under display glass and under the connector,too),but the problem still make me headache. Any idea...?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 69.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/display-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.