(Topic ID: 202830)

Display Out On Taxi - A Little Help Please!

By Solder_Splash

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Taxi (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Having a little issue with the upper display on my taxi. A couple weekends ago I noticed that half of the upper display was out and the other half displayed some garbled characters.
I turned off the game and re-seated all the connectors to the display board. I also tested HV on power board and both the - and + voltages were within specs.
When I turned the game back on, that display was completely out.

No obvious signs of out-gassing. Display was nice, bright and crisp one minute and then messed up the next.

Is there a way to test the dead upper display by jumpering some pins to it from the lower working display?
I am trying to determine if the display is actually bad or if the issue lies elsewhere.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 6 years ago

I would start by testing for proper voltages at the display connector(s) + the board itself. -Even at the pins for the glass (be careful!!!)- (+100 DC and -100 DC)

It could be a cold solder joint on the connector pins that come out of the glass that are soldered to the backside of the board. This is common if the display has lost it's little plastic "feet" and sticky tape and is left flopping/dangling around.

One piece of the puzzle you did not post. Are the small display and lower displays BOTH working? This is important because there are IC's on the MPU that run the display data to all displays.

The answer your last question. You can test if a display has any gas/file left in it with a plasma ball toy (WITH THE GAME OFF): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7F355M/ref=asc_df_B01N7F355M5268302/

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

I turned off the game and re-seated all the connectors to the display board...
When I turned the game back on, that display was completely out."

That really sounds like a bad ribbon cable/connector. You reseated the cable, which doesn't really "fix" anything and now it is completely out. Either that, or you put the cable on wrong (upside-down, one pin off or something)

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I would start by testing for proper voltages at the display connector(s) + the board itself. -Even at the pins for the glass (be careful!!!)- (+100 DC and -100 DC)
It could be a cold solder joint on the connector pins that come out of the glass that are soldered to the backside of the board. This is common if the display has lost it's little plastic "feet" and sticky tape and is left flopping/dangling around.
One piece of the puzzle you did not post. Are the small display and lower displays BOTH working? This is important because there are IC's on the MPU that run the display data to all displays.
The answer your last question. You can test if a display has any gas/file left in it with a plasma ball toy (WITH THE GAME OFF): amazon.com link »

The bonus display and the lower display are both still working perfectly. I will have to look at the schematic to figure out where I to test for voltages at the glass.

Quoted from wayout440:

That really sounds like a bad ribbon cable/connector. You reseated the cable, which doesn't really "fix" anything and now it is completely out. Either that, or you put the cable on wrong (upside-down, one pin off or something)

Never had a ribbon cable go bad in all my years in pinball. I guess it's possible though. I don't have any other system 11 games to borrow one from. I might have to buy one I guess. Cable is installed correctly.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I am getting 100 V DC at the glass.

Quoted from wayout440:

Swapped out the ribbon cable with no change. If only it could be that easy

Looks like it's time to hunt down a replacement display.
Anyone have one on hand that they'd like to sell?

#6 6 years ago

I am getting 100 V DC at the glass.

Swapped out the ribbon cable with no change. If only it could be that easy
Looks like it's time to hunt down a replacement display.
Anyone have one on hand that they'd like to sell?

I replaced my displays with LED ones as part of my restore. Let me see if I can find my old ones and I can send you it if you are willing to cover shipping.

#7 6 years ago

I have a set I'm willing to sell. Check your pms.

Edit: I sell you are being offered a free set.. that is hard to beat.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I replaced my displays with LED ones as part of my restore. Let me see if I can find my old ones and I can send you it if you are willing to cover shipping.

That would be awesome! Let me know if you find it.

Quoted from uncivil_engineer:I have a set I'm willing to sell. Check your pms.
Edit: I sell you are being offered a free set.. that is hard to beat.

Yes, very nice of Richthofen to make that offer. I have helped a few members out in the past with different things so maybe karma has decided to pay me back

#9 6 years ago

That would be awesome! Let me know if you find it.

Yes, very nice of Richthofen to make that offer. I have helped a few members out in the past with different things so maybe karma has decided to pay me back

Yeah someone sent me some stuff, and I've given away stuff, good deeds all around. PM me tonight to remind me to look for the display.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Yeah someone sent me some stuff, and I've given away stuff, good deeds all around. PM me tonight to remind me to look for the display.

Message sent
Fingers crossed

3 weeks later
#11 6 years ago

So a big thanks to Richthofen for hooking me up with a new display. It's people like him that help make this a great community!
With his old display and mine, I was able to make one good one.
Taxi is back! Now if I can just beat my last high score.....

Taxi (resized).jpgTaxi (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/display-out-on-taxi-a-little-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.