Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201030_151310 (resized).jpg
20201030_130429 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I have an Earthshaker that I just bought in unknown condition.
Display is showing only 1 or 2 symbols in the middle, it is altering between two symbols (pic 1).

Removed display and cleaned the back pcb and re-soldered some suspected cold joints.
Also tightened the really loose screws that holds the CPU board in place (as if someone had loosened them with purpose).
Re-seated the ribbon cable on the CPU board.

Reconnected display, now the symbols seems to be slightly different than before, not really altering anymore and sometimes the symbol now appears to the left and not in the center (pic 2).
It seems that the symbol is shown in a random place at startup, then it stays there (not moving).

Checked the voltages at the power supply, 100, -100 and 5 VDC are all fine.

What could be wrong? How to troubleshoot from here? I don´t have another system 11b machine to switch displays.

Thanks!

20201030_130429 (resized).jpg20201030_130429 (resized).jpg20201030_151310 (resized).jpg20201030_151310 (resized).jpg
#3 3 years ago

ForceFlow I have the "Diagnostics" led flashing from start, it is not indicating any flash pattern, only continuesly flashing (which it should). The other two leds are solid light. So I think that it is showing no error codes.

Also, I noticed that I can't initiate a game anymore (was playing fine before although the display was faulty). Perhaps the free play option has been reset or something.

So, any ideas where to go from here?

#4 3 years ago

check that the ribbon cables are connected correctly.

#5 3 years ago

Flip one end of the display ribbon cable around.

#6 3 years ago

Ive checked the ribbons several times.
Just pressed the cpu test button while i filmed the leds, maybe there is a code, see video. U can hear me pressing the cpu test button after about a second (the game is on before i press the button).

Video:

1 week later
#7 3 years ago

Really getting desperate now, all voltages are correct and the ribbon cable that goes to the display is replaced, still i have the issue!

Do the smaller ribbon cable that goes to the Audio board matter for the display? Should I replace that cable as well?

ANY other ideas?
Really just need to verify that it is the display that is malfuntioning, before I order a new one.

Please, anyone...

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from ravve:

Do the smaller ribbon cable that goes to the Audio board matter for the display? Should I replace that cable as well?

No. No. You can even disconnect it and see that it will not affect the display.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/display-or-cpu-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.