View topic image gallery

PXL_20210617_225414624.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20210617_225353993 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210617_224643731 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210610-191650 (resized).png
PXL_20210610_223250308 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210610_223209808 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hi all, first pin - The Games. I picked it up from a friend several weeks ago. In the time since, I have replaced the battery on the MPU board, the capacitor on the transformer, installed a credit button connected to the coin chute, replaced maybe 8 worn out lamp sockets, some broken plastics, repaired some worn out post holes, and started installing the recommended new ground wires. I am honestly having a blast tinkering on it as well as playing it.

I will preface the next part by saying I personally have not re-pinned any connections, but I did eyeball the existing connections and they all look clean and positioned properly. Most of my experience in this realm is from working on PCs/Servers, old gaming consoles, and other electronics for 30 years. I have used a pink rubber eraser to clean the contacts on the MPU board and displays.

When I first got the table, the top most segments of the digits on player 1 and 2 were unlit.

Shuffling displaysShuffling displays

The previous owner supplied me with a wonderful supply of spare parts, so after troubleshooting by shuffling through the extra displays (with the table powered off) I replaced all but one of the green board displays that was installed with the older beige board displays. That got player 1 and 2 displays working ALMOST perfect and also got the ball in play number display working. When powered on, all the displays zero out correctly. As seen in the photos - once the game has booted up and I start a game, a single segment on each digit remains lit for player 1 / player 2... more of an annoyance than anything.

Player 1Player 1Player 2Player 2

For players 3 / 4 - not all of the segments light up correctly beyond initially showing all perfect 0's. I have run the display test and the behavior is consistent. While I am likely going to invest in a combo board and LED displays in the near future - I would like to see if I can get this working correctly as is. The previous owner also installed a Gulf Pinball MA-114 power supply to replace the original. I checked the voltage at the test points, The only outliers I found were TP5 10V higher than what is printed on the board, and TP1 is 1.5V higher than what is printed.

If my best move here is to pre-emptively re-pin everything I will do so, as I don't want to drop a few bucks on the LED's and combo board only to have issues crop up due to the connections. I have all the manuals and other troubleshooting documents ready to go, but I figured I would ask here too.

Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

I can't really help with more technical repairs on these games so much, but I just wanted to suggest you re-pin the edge connectors on the MPU and driver board, including that big double-sided connector between the boards. Edge connectors are well-known for flakiness as they get older, and they'll likely need to replaced whether or not they fix the current issue. Good luck with your game!

#3 2 years ago

Good news, it's 99% fixed. I dug through the pinwiki docs and what caught my eye was a photo of segment "c" locked on. In my case, for player 1 and 2, segment "b" was locked on. I followed their guide for testing the IC chips and discovered that they were outside spec. I replaced Z19 and Z21 (for player 3 and 4 which were next to useless), installed a socket for Z21 (Z19 was already taken care of). Afterwards, Player 1 and 2 are perfect. Player 3 and 4 show that segment "h" is off, while it is active on player 1 and 2. I ordered replacement IC's for the hex inverter chip in Z16 which should come in next Tuesday so I can get it sorted.

New socket installed for Z21New socket installed for Z21Player 1(and 2) properly lit.Player 1(and 2) properly lit.Player 3(and 4) with segment h unlitPlayer 3(and 4) with segment h unlit

#4 2 years ago

Just replaced Z16 with a socket and a NOS 7404. All the displays passed the self test and the numbers are lit as expected.

#5 2 years ago

Good work! Thanks for the follow-up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/display-oddity-the-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.