Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Chet
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

My Player 3 display stopped working on my Skateball. It stays black or shows all 1's when game is powered on. Same in display test, stays blank or shows all 1's while all other displays cycle through all the numbers correctly. I disconnected the J1 connector from the player 3 display and changed it with one of the other working displays. The working display works fine in the player three position, but the non-working display does not work in the one I swapped it with which makes me believe the problem is either on the player 3 display board or the display glass. I have good voltages 5 volts and 170 volts on the player 3 display board test points. I have read thru Clays manual as well as Pinwiki's discussion on the Bally SS displays, but nothing there helps me pinpoint my issue or what to check next. Any suggestions on what to check next? This is my first Bally SS so I am on a bit of a learning curve. I was thinking decoder chip, but i hate to just shotgun replace stuff. I did order a new glass from PBR so I might try testing it with the board by touching the pins as Clay suggests..
Thanks

#2 7 years ago

Is there any reasoning to then you get ones or blank? (for instance, only when the numbers 0, 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9 should be on) if so that would point to the drivers for some digits being off. Otherwise, assuming the pins aren't cold soldered, I'd replace the decoder chip.

#3 7 years ago

Morning bump. Any other thoughts from the Bally SS folks?

#4 7 years ago

If the solder points on the J1 header look good, I'd try replacing the decoder. If you had a logic probe you could test inputs/outputs at the 4543 for activity.

#5 7 years ago

Yes, replace the decoder chip on the display's mounted PCB for sure. The glass is very likely ok. If you need a board or a decoder chip, I can probably hook you up with one.

#6 7 years ago

Ok. I socket and put in a new Decoder IC chip and report results. I do have a logic probe. Just not quite sure how to use the LP to test the chip in this instance.

#7 7 years ago

Put a machine pin socket in and installed a new decoder chip. Display works perfect now. Thanks for the help everyone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/display-not-working-on-skateball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.