• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled.png
#1 8 years ago

Hey guys!
Got my first pin two weeks ago, and I'm excited. My buddy and I have been working on a few pins for the last year. We aren't total newbies, but far from professional electricians. I'm having an issue.

It's like this: I just replaced the MPU and got the led to flash 7 times, but the machine doesn't get through the entire self-test. It stops with the displays flashing first 44 and then 46 except for the ball-in-play display which reads " 54 4" when I scroll through the test modes, the displays only show digits 4-7. I do need a new wafer 8-pin connector for the rectifier board, but is there something else going on? Thanks!

Edit: the number 5 pin on that connector is the one that's burnt up a bit.

#2 8 years ago

Was the replacement MPU known working good? New header pins?

New pins in harness connectors?

Reflow solder under headers on the displays?

Connect one display at a time to see if any perform correctly by themselves?

Swap U10 and U11 to see if problem changes?

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Murphdog024:

Hey guys!
Got my first pin two weeks ago, and I'm excited. My buddy and I have been working on a few pins for the last year. We aren't total newbies, but far from professional electricians. I'm having an issue.
It's like this: I just replaced the MPU and got the led to flash 7 times, but the machine doesn't get through the entire self-test. It stops with the displays flashing first 44 and then 46 except for the ball-in-play display which reads " 54 4" when I scroll through the test modes, the displays only show digits 4-7. I do need a new wafer 8-pin connector for the rectifier board, but is there something else going on? Thanks!
Edit: the number 5 pin on that connector is the one that's burnt up a bit.

If you have improper number count on every display during display test than there is a problem with the BCD data. Since you replaced the MPU. I would check the BCD pins on MPU j1. They are pin 25-28. If i was a betting man, p28 would be the most likely to get damaged since it is an end pin.

Untitled.pngUntitled.png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/display-issues-1978-bally-playboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.