(Topic ID: 198609)

Display Issue - 1989 Williams Police Force (Prototype)

By RetroToys

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RetroToys
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I have a 1989 Williams Police Force (Prototype) pinball machine that has what appears to be a outgassed lower 16 digit display. I'm not 100% sure on that but it does have the little white dots of death on it that I've seen in other forums. Also the upper left display does not come on either (doesn't have white dots) but I'm not sure if that's just cause the lower 16 digit display is not working or that it is cooked too. I would like to find a NOS lower 16 digit display to solder in there if possible since this is the only known prototype that I know of but I don't know where to look or if there is a better solution to this problem, then I am all ears! Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

I would just replace it with a modern LED equivalent, I don't think there is anything special about the prototype display is there?

http://www.pinscore.com/products/pinball-displays/16-ps-12232-r1

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I would just replace it with a modern LED equivalent, I don't think there is anything special about the prototype display is there?
http://www.pinscore.com/products/pinball-displays/16-ps-12232-r1

There's nothing physically special or different about it but it does have the matching serial number stickers on it along with all of the other boards, so I wanted to keep in it in there if possible.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from RetroToys:

There's nothing physically special or different about it but it does have the matching serial number stickers on it along with all of the other boards, so I wanted to keep in it in there if possible.

You could always replace the display and then keep the boards along with the game and maybe fix it later. Displays with bad glass pop up all the time. I've cannibalized a few of them before to make one complete good display since it's common for one glass display to go bad, but not the other.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You could always replace the display and then keep the boards along with the game and maybe fix it later. Displays with bad glass pop up all the time. I've cannibalized a few of them before to make one complete good display since it's common for one glass display to go bad, but not the other.

That's a great idea. Where is a good place to get a new Pinscore, I see Marco Specialties is sold out for Police Force/ Taxi.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from RetroToys:

That's a great idea. Where is a good place to get a new Pinscore, I see Marco Specialties is sold out for Police Force/ Taxi.

XPin is the other brand, which you may find in stock.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

XPin is the other brand, which you may find in stock.

Is one better than the other?

#8 2 years ago

Have you first measured the +100v and -100v at the power supply board?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Have you first measured the +100v and -100v at the power supply board?

No I haven't, the upper display works great so I didn't think twice about it being a power supply issue.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Francisco, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 21.00
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside