Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161006_185031 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

This is a pic of the 3rd and 4th player displays.
The 1st and 2nd players are fine.
It was one segment then today it is like this.
What would cause this or where would I start to fix it?
Thanks.

20161006_185031 (resized).jpg20161006_185031 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Connectors are usually the first place to look.

I usually start by cleaning the edge connectors with a pink rubber eraser.

Since two displays are affected in the same group, that usually indicates a common issue at the MPU or MPU connectors.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Display_Data_Problems

#3 7 years ago

Move the displays around to see if the problem follows. If it follows then it's the displays, (not likely from your description) if not, then its in the mpu as force said. (don't have Hulk or I'd tell you what chips to check but, if you have the schematics you can find them easily.)

#4 7 years ago

Ok I'll clean connectors first.
I assume chips on the driver board you are talking about?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

Ok I'll clean connectors first.
I assume chips on the driver board you are talking about?

No. The driver board has nothing to do with the displays. They are operated by the MPU.

#6 7 years ago

Cleaned edges with eraser on Mpu and display and it's still the same.
The board had previous alkaline damage that has been repaired.Are the chips you are talking about near the bottom left where alkaline could have been?
I don't have a print to look at.

#7 7 years ago

Nope, display drivers are along the right edge.

#8 7 years ago

You are missing segment B. This comes from A1J2 pin 14 which is driven by IC Z17.

But one display can load down the other. So, with power off, unplug player 3 and power back up and see if player 4 is okay. If not, power down, unplug #4 and plug #3 back in and power up. If both bad, it's probably Z17 unless you have a bad pin at 14.

#10 7 years ago

May not be the solution, but....
I had issues with my Gottlieb Hulk displays. Thought it was the mpu (bought with solder on the contacts to help make the connector "fit"), so got a Ni-Wumph. Helped, but still had display issues, including the credit/ball display. Found a used 4 digit display on eBay and plugged it in. Everything now works great! Your mileage may vary, and this may not be your issue, but on the off chance!

#11 7 years ago

It was a bad U17 chip.
This problem is fixed.Thanks for the help.

1 week later
#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

It was a bad U17 chip.
This problem is fixed.Thanks for the help.

I'm glad you got this resolved being that I now own it!
Got it home safe and sound (long drive)......thank you again for the fair deal and thank for the grand tour of your amazing Pinball collection wow!! I could have spent hours playing if I didn't have to hit the road.

#13 7 years ago

I'm glad you are happy with it.
If you are ever in town again you are more than welcome to come on over again and play some pins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/display-help-on-gottlieb-hulk-pic-added?hl=zero-one and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.