Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by btw75
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I can't figure this one out. I've replaced caps and reflowed solder. The display seems to have all digits, but it flashes extra zeros on the left, sometimes 1, other times 2. When there is a score up it has 1s all the way across. The problem moves when I move the display, so I believe it is entirely related to this display.

The easy way out is to order a couple 6118 - is that what folks recommend?

#2 9 years ago

Any thoughts? If not I'll order some 6118 today.

#3 9 years ago

Did you run through this?

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/

#4 9 years ago

Yep. I went ahead and asked GPE to send me a couple more 6118, I'll be surprised if that doesn't take care of it. I'll post up either way.

Thanks

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

.....and reflowed solder

on connectors ?

Sometimes the problems are similar to these caused by bad connector.
    (try clean with very fine sandpaper )

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from cro_pinman:

on connectors ?
    Sometimes the problems are similar to these caused by bad connector.
    (try clean with very fine sandpaper )

Yeah - I cleaned the edge fairly well. I originally thought it was a connection issue but since the problem moves with the board it could only be the edge, so I cleaned it (again!) before this post.

#7 9 years ago

instead of shotgunning you can easily test with diode function of meter but likely one is bad. i always socket chips for future as well. yeah report the fix for sure.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

instead of shotgunning you can easily test with diode function of meter but likely one is bad. i always socket chips for future as well. yeah report the fix for sure.

I've tested them with the simple diode test and they were good, which has been confusing. What has gotten me on my other displays is that I've had chips that tested fine but when replaced the display worked. I even opened a thread during the last go round asking if there were other ways to test them.

I socket on CPU boards, but on these displays its pretty easy and fast to swap them out - however its good advice and I'll see if I have the right size socket in stock so I can do some reverse testing if need be.

#9 9 years ago

If you swap around the displays, does the problem follow the original display exhibiting the issue, or does the problem only surface with one specific connector?

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you swap around the displays, does the problem follow the original display exhibiting the issue?

Yes

#11 9 years ago

Replaced the right hand side 6118. Old one tested fine, but the new chip eliminated the problem. I had tried reflowing before I replaced given the successful test, but that alone didn't do it.

Not sure what to think, but I now have a working display and a new 6118 in reserve.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/display-ghosting-system-1-with-video and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.