(Topic ID: 303125)

"display game" playfield?

By mbrave77

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211029_024714282_iOS (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jason_Jehosaphat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 2 years ago

Hi, MBrave.
    I'm curious if you've since learned more about what "Display Game" means, perhaps from Stern directly.
    I was told by one operator who spoke about such games with this Stern dealer that Stern will brand a playfield like that if it has some defect that can't easily be fixed - an insert that's the wrong color, for example. The distro can buy the game from Stern at a discount but can't sell it at full retail price. The distro instead must discount the game slightly and disclose that it has a defect. In some cases that defect is unknown to the distro as he can't inspect the game if he sells it NIB, but he must still sell at a discount. So, if your distro provided you with a "Display Game" but did not disclose it as such, and neither did he give you a discount, he may have dropped the ball. I would care if I were you because prospective buyers in the future are going to use that branding as leverage to get you to lower your sale price, etc. I read of another example of this branding that involved a game that had a few issues, including one resulting from a wiring harness that shouldn't have been there. It had no costmetic issues, but it had a few serious operational issues that made the game challenging to play. The issues could have been sorted out at the factory with some time and a few parts, but Stern chose instead to just cut their losses on the game and sold it as a "Display Game" at a discount to the distributor. Coincidentally, that game was also an IMDN. The game was still warrantied by Stern for the standard interval of time and Stern worked with the owner to provide the necessary parts to get the game sorted.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jason_Jehosaphat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/display-game-playfield?tu=Jason_Jehosaphat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.