Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1D6808FF-2D62-4B96-A447-C7480EDE23D3 (resized).jpeg
7DB7E35F-823A-4660-90BD-80AC60AFEAF5 (resized).png
0BA656D7-B6F0-4020-964D-9280ED895C64 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hi all,
I just purchased my first pinball machine - Big Guns- and the display hasn’t worked at all, I ordered a new pinside display board and still nothing. There is a green light near the display test button on the board when the game is on. Any thoughts on what I should try next? I appreciate your time, thanks!

0BA656D7-B6F0-4020-964D-9280ED895C64 (resized).jpeg0BA656D7-B6F0-4020-964D-9280ED895C64 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Bigguns1:

Any thoughts on what I should try next?

Do you have a voltmeter?

#3 4 years ago

Did you check for blown fuse?

#4 4 years ago

Check fuses ,ribbon cables and if you have a meter check for power too the display

#5 4 years ago

Thank you guys so much for your input! How do I know what fuse to check or which connector is the power supply to the scoreboard?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Bigguns1:

Thank you guys so much for your input! How do I know what fuse to check or which connector is the power supply to the scoreboard?

I would, but by no means that I'm a expert at this, Unplug the machine and check all fuses for continuity. Carefully and gently unplug and reinstall all connectors one at a time. Don't disconnect by using the wires.

#7 4 years ago

Yea just check all fuses with unplugged the machine ,and check for lose wires and connectors

#8 4 years ago

Does the machine itself work? Does it make a 'bong' tone when you turn it on?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Does the machine itself work? Does it make a 'bong' tone when you turn it on?

The machine does work however I do have to press the diagnostics button on the main board with the coin door open after I turn the switch on in order to have full functionality every time we play.

Any thoughts on what I can do to not have to do that each time? I really appreciate all the advice!

#10 4 years ago

I'll assume that your pin is booting because you say only 1 display is out. First off do this with the machine turned off open the head up and disconnect the display and swap it with one you saw light. Start the machine and see if the display you know was good is now lit, if so it's not the connector. Now look at the display you know didn't work to see if it is now lit, if so we know it's not the display. This may save you ordering displays you might not need, and answer our question, display or connector

Tell us what you find

Quoted from Williampinball:

Yea just check all fuses with unplugged the machine ,and check for lose wires and connectors

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Tell us what you find

So actually none of the 4 displays were working so I bought a whole new pinscore board with displays and it still doesn’t work, I guess that would narrow it down to connectors or fuses, I disconnected all connectors and reconnected them carefully one at a time on the main board and still same problem. I’m thinking I’ll test the fuses and if that’s not it I can replace connectors.

Also the new pinscore display board has a light on so I know there’s power to the board, maybe it’s a connector issue, does anyone know which connector would send the data to the display board, I’m thinking that may need to be replaced? Thanks!

#12 4 years ago

I don't have that pin but I'm pretty sure those displays are not fused individually. Did you move the display that was out?

#13 4 years ago

Attached is the pinside display board that I purchased and installed, on the board itself there is a small green light that glows when the machine is on, the 4 displays are all connected to the board.

7DB7E35F-823A-4660-90BD-80AC60AFEAF5 (resized).png7DB7E35F-823A-4660-90BD-80AC60AFEAF5 (resized).png
#14 4 years ago

Oh it's an all in one piece. Well as I said I don't have that pin but I'd bet the problem is on that display board, but what caused it is likely downstream and I can't help with that, you need someone familiar with the pinscore board and other boards in the system. Someone will help out you can count on it. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance to you.

#15 4 years ago

No worries RHW thank you for your time!

#16 4 years ago

the pinscore displays have a test button. When you push it what happens? If all power is good they will run through their self test sequence eliminating it as a source of trouble.

Can you use a DMM? If so what does your power supply read at the test points? If your ribbon cable is bad it will cause all sorts of funny things but until your display does the self test its looking like a power issue.

#17 4 years ago

Yep I’ve hit the test button a few times and nothing happens, there is a green light next to it but never anything on the displays. What is a DMM? How do I test the power supply at the test points? Thanks!

#18 4 years ago

Dmm digital multi meter

1D6808FF-2D62-4B96-A447-C7480EDE23D3 (resized).jpeg1D6808FF-2D62-4B96-A447-C7480EDE23D3 (resized).jpeg
#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Dmm digital multi meter[quoted image]

Ok yep I have one I’ll check it out

#20 4 years ago

You have power supply issues for sure or problem with wiring or connectors. Test power supply voltages first. As for getting readings, set to dc volts and ground the black lead to cabinet ground strap and test the power supply at the test points. pinwiki has pictures and procedures for you.
Report back your voltages.
should be an easy fix.

#21 4 years ago

you don't have the ribbon cable in backwards do you?

#22 4 years ago

Looks like the ribbon cable was backwards! It isn’t marked on the board which side is pin 1. Thanks so much for all your help guys!

#23 4 years ago

awesome! lol......been repairing pins since 1982........we all learn this way lol

#24 4 years ago

Did you solve the issue with the coin door having to be open and diag switch pressed for ‘full functionality’ as well?

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Bigguns1:

Looks like the ribbon cable was backwards! It isn’t marked on the board which side is pin 1. Thanks so much for all your help guys!

I thought that might be it ,I had that years ago ,great you found out now
Happy flipping

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Bigguns1:

Looks like the ribbon cable was backwards!

Mark the side in case you ever take it off for any reason.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 22.50
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Davenport, FL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/display-doesnt-work?hl=iamdrunker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.