(Topic ID: 351380)

Disney Thread - Welcome to the World of Disney!

By marioparty34

68 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 447 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by bigguybbr
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How many of the 12 Disney Parks have you been to?”

• None 17 votes
      15%
    • 1-3 45 votes
      39%
    • 4-6 45 votes
      39%
    • 7-9 6 votes
      5%
    • 9-12 2 votes
      2%

(115 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2190 (resized).jpeg
    seaworl2 (resized).jpg
    super-nintendo-world (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240308_013714645 (resized).jpg
    giphy-3705112177.gif
    disney-world-marathon-course-maps-2024-1 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240227_204718_AllTrails (resized).jpg
    IMG_6622 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6877 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20240305_221042179.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240305_221051002.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240305_192235311 (resized).jpg
    There are 447 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
    #201 59 days ago

I was 5yrs old in 1955 when Disneyland in L.A.opened.I went there in August.Very different now, no tiki room, no paddleboat, no jungle ride, and for me California experience was a dud!Too many places to buy all their expensive toys!Cinderellas castle was very different as well!

#202 59 days ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

I was 5yrs old in 1955 when Disneyland in L.A.opened.I went there in August.Very different now, no tiki room, no paddleboat, no jungle ride, and for me California experience was a dud!Too many places to buy all their expensive toys!Cinderellas castle was very different as well!

Tiki Room and Jungle Cruise are both still at DL.

IMG_2160 (resized).jpegIMG_2160 (resized).jpeg
    #203 59 days ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Still finalizing, but we’re targeting a week somewhere in the 4/9-4/23 range.

Are you staying on Disney from April 9 to 23?

If so, you can start booking all of your meals right now.

I'm going April 16 - 22. Come February 16, I can book all 6 days. A very popular restaurant, book towards the end, it will be open.

#204 59 days ago

Also for trying to book restaurants or even resort rooms, persistence is key.

We had planned on this weekend like 2 weeks ago and there were no rooms at Pop. My wife just looks everyday at random times. We were able to score a room for the weekend, because someone dropped.
    This is the same for all the restaurants as well. If you are close to your date but forgot to or decided to eat at the park, just keep looking and you might find an opening.

Also there are 2 apps. I think one is paid and the other is free.
    Mousedining and Mousewatcher which will text you when there are opening on the selected restaurant. We have not had to use them, but have a friend that has used them many times with great success.

#205 59 days ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I'm going April 16 - 22. Come February 16, I can book all 6 days. A very popular restaurant, book towards the end, it will be open.

Yeah, this is the key. Since Disney allows you to book reservations for the entire date range of your trip, people with earlier check-in dates than you will have already booked up the early dates and you're more likely to find openings to popular places towards the end of your trip. Then the people with later check-in dates than you will have limited availability at the beginning of their trips, ad infinitum. It's a never-ending domino effect.

Anyone else remember those video screens they used to have in Epcot, where you talked to a person to make dining reservations? When my wife and I went for our first anniversary, we made same-day dinner reservations at Le Cellier.

#206 59 days ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Yeah, this is the key. Since Disney allows you to book reservations for the entire date range of your trip, people with earlier check-in dates than you will have already booked up the early dates and you're more likely to find openings to popular places towards the end of your trip. Then the people with later check-in dates than you will have limited availability at the beginning of their trips, ad infinitum. It's a never-ending domino effect.
    Anyone else remember those video screens they used to have in Epcot, where you talked to a person to make dining reservations? When my wife and I went for our first anniversary, we made same-day dinner reservations at Le Cellier.

YES!!!! I remember those!!!

I was a kid when they were in use.

#207 59 days ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

FYI, I was at Disneyland last month and both the tiki room, Mark Twain paddle boat and jungle ride were in operation.

#208 59 days ago
    Quoted from ManbearpigOG:

[quoted image]

I think he’s saying they weren’t day one attractions in 1955

#209 59 days ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Any frequent Epcot travelers have tips on how to get a reservation at the Space 220 restaurant?
    We’re thinking of making a trip down in mid-April and that restaurant is my wife’s first choice for dining this time around.
    The in app reservation system goes out as far as April 13th at the moment and nothing is currently available.
    Seems like this one is a hot ticket. Figured I’d check here to see if others have found success.

As previously mentioned, continually refresh and something might pop up. Also, when we were there, we couldn't get dinner reservations but booked Space 220 for a late lunch on our last (travel) day. A bit easier to get in at lunch time and since we had to leave for the airport, Space 220 was our last WDW activity. It's very cool!

#210 59 days ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

My kids referred to GOTG as Space Mountain on crack.... I should have asked them when they tried crack.
    The virtual queue is a winner. So easy and no standing around. If they were smart they would do that for all of their bigger attractions. They would sell way more food, drinks, etc. when people are walking around the park rather than standing in a 2 hour line.

That is the only ride that makes me a bit hazy afterwards. Sometimes I can make it off ok - other times it is a one and done.

The que is very well done.

#211 59 days ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

I think he’s saying they weren’t day one attractions in 1955

"The largest (and only) attraction on opening day in Adventureland was the Jungle Cruise."

"Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room opened to Disneyland Guests at the gates of Adventureland on June 23, 1963."

sighted here-

https://www.waltdisney.org/blog/disneyland-classics-jungle-cruise-and-tiki-room#:~:text=The%20largest%20(and%20only)%20attraction,on%20cue%20throughout%20the%20day.

#212 59 days ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Are you staying on Disney from April 9 to 23?
    If so, you can start booking all of your meals right now.

We’ll likely stay at a hotel in the Disney Springs area where we’ve stayed before. It has shuttles to the parks, but it isn’t one of the Disney resort hotels.

Mousedining and Mousewatcher which will text you when there are opening on the selected restaurant. We have not had to use them, but have a friend that has used them many times with great success.

Hadn’t heard of these before. Will check them out. Thanks!

Quoted from sbmania:

As previously mentioned, continually refresh and something might pop up. Also, when we were there, we couldn't get dinner reservations but booked Space 220 for a late lunch on our last (travel) day. A bit easier to get in at lunch time and since we had to leave for the airport, Space 220 was our last WDW activity. It's very cool!

Yeah, it sounds pretty cool. Lunch would be fine by us. Not too particular. Just want to check it out.

#213 59 days ago

We are going next week to Disney (and Universal). We are passholders, but first time going to Universal.

#214 59 days ago
    Quoted from Octomodz:

We are going next week to Disney (and Universal). We are passholders, but first time going to Universal.

Please report back with one food recommendation for Universal. Going to be taking a trip sometime in the next few months with the wife.

#215 59 days ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Please report back with one food recommendation for Universal. Going to be taking a trip sometime in the next few months with the wife.

We spent a week on spring break last spring break on site. Food is nowhere near Disney. The best was Confisco in Islands of Adventure, great portion sizes, great tasting a fun atmosphere. Cowfish in Citywalk and Finnigans on the Studios side were the other favorites. The quick service was terrible pretty much everywhere except the Harry Potter ones.

#216 59 days ago

We did multiple trips to Universal last year. Bigfire quickly became a required stop for us on each visit. We were lucky enough on our first visit to get seated by the window that looked in on the kitchen area. Was fun getting to see all the action. Great steak too. Highly recommend.

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/things-to-do/dining/bigfire

The other required visit for us is the Toothless Chocolate Emporium. Tasty food (pretty good flatbreads) and amazingly decadent milkshakes if that’s your jam.

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/things-to-do/dining/toothsome-chocolate-emporium-and-savory-feast-kitchen

#217 59 days ago
    Quoted from Methos:

That is the only ride that makes me a bit hazy afterwards. Sometimes I can make it off ok - other times it is a one and done.
    The que is very well done.

Yep. I think it's the best ride on property, and I've pretty much sworn off riding it again. Messes me the hell up, even with Dramamine.

Another vote for Toothsome, both for the food and the atmosphere. CityWalk is probably your best bet for decent food at Universal.

#218 59 days ago

Yep. I think it's the best ride on property, and I've pretty much sworn off riding it again. Messes me the hell up, even with Dramamine.

I was in the same boat with rides in general after our first trip down last year. Then before our second trip my doctor suggested trying scopolamine. I gave it a shot and the difference was like night and day. I was able to go on every ride I wanted to without issue.

It’s a little patch you wear behind your ear that you switch out every 3 days. Worth looking into if you don’t want to swear these rides off forever.

#219 59 days ago

My wife just looks everyday at random times.

Just had this happen. My wife was poking around in the app checking days for Space 220 and sure enough there was an opening for April 10th! So I guess we’re locked in now. Lol

#220 59 days ago

I've done WDW a few times, and just did Disneyland this past summer. It was a pretty different experience. The whole place had less stress, and you just didn't see the types of meltdowns from kids being pushed too hard. Disneyland seems like more of a day park, and obviously less of a resort all-in experience. Wait times also seemed more reasonable.

My last stay at WDW we stayed at Caribbean beach. The travel to the parks was pretty darn smooth, especially to HS and Epcot with the skyliner. My biggest complaint was that after a long day I wanted to watch some hockey while the kids got some rest. I got to the bar and the bartender told me they'd be closing soon (at 9pm). I asked why, and he said something along the lines of "we find that most people don't really want to be at the bar after a day in the parks." I counted at least 25 people in there at that exact moment. I took my beer to go and saw countless dads sitting on the benches with brews/cigars just having a bit of peace.

#221 59 days ago

Broken Indiana Jones being used as a table. So sad. Left flipper was not working.

20240205_123309 (resized).jpg20240205_123309 (resized).jpg
    #222 59 days ago

I did play it, but did not do well with only one working flipper.

20240130_165124 (resized).jpg20240130_165124 (resized).jpg
    #223 59 days ago

Been to Disney world in 1985 and 2015. We rode Pirates of Caribbean about 20 times in 1984. I really wanted to ride it again but it was shut down. I looked up why and some retarded woman got her hand ripped off. They should of just put hook on it and let everyone else enjoy the ride.

#224 59 days ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

Been to Disney world in 1985 and 2015. We rode Pirates of Caribbean about 20 times in 1984. I really wanted to ride it again but it was shut down. I looked up why and some retarded woman got her hand ripped off. They should of just put hook on it and let everyone else enjoy the ride.

Or perhaps a couple fingertips from a 50-something British dude?

https://www.thrillist.com/amphtml/travel/nation/tourist-loses-fingers-on-pirates-of-the-caribbean-ride

#225 59 days ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:I've done WDW a few times, and just did Disneyland this past summer. It was a pretty different experience. The whole place had less stress, and you just didn't see the types of meltdowns from kids being pushed too hard. Disneyland seems like more of a day park, and obviously less of a resort all-in experience. Wait times also seemed more reasonable. .

We are going to Disneyland this summer - will be our first time after going to WDW for the past 13 years. Looking forward to seeing the original park.

#226 59 days ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

How about the tip of the pinky and ring finger?

#227 59 days ago
    Quoted from Mank:

Indeed. Sounds like absolute bedlam!

Why anyone would think putting their hands in the water during that ride would be a good idea is beyond me.

#228 58 days ago
    Quoted from Mank:

My story sounded cooler. Trying to create pirates here! Fake news is allowed now days.

#229 58 days ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I was in the same boat with rides in general after our first trip down last year. Then before our second trip my doctor suggested trying scopolamine. I gave it a shot and the difference was like night and day. I was able to go on every ride I wanted to without issue.
    It’s a little patch you wear behind your ear that you switch out every 3 days. Worth looking into if you don’t want to swear these rides off forever.

Thanks, I might have to give that a shot. Dramamine generally works just fine for me... For everything except Guardians.

Quoted from Methos:

We are going to Disneyland this summer - will be our first time after going to WDW for the past 13 years. Looking forward to seeing the original park.

We'll be headed out in a couple weeks to Disneyland and Universal Hollywood. As others have said, it's a much more laid-back vibe. Everything is within walking distance! If the two were equidistant, we'd probably find ourselves there more than Florida.

If you're a Disney history nerd, there's a tour where you get to visit Walt's apartment.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/disneyland/walts-main-street-story-tour/

#230 58 days ago

Thanks, I might have to give that a shot. Dramamine generally works just fine for me... For everything except Guardians.

We'll be headed out in a couple weeks to Disneyland and Universal Hollywood. As others have said, it's a much more laid-back vibe. Everything is within walking distance! If the two were equidistant, we'd probably find ourselves there more than Florida.
    If you're a Disney history nerd, there's a tour where you get to visit Walt's apartment.
    https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/disneyland/walts-main-street-story-tour/

I just did Walt's apartment a month ago. It is AMAZING!

#231 58 days ago

I am thinking of doing the tour and surprise my family. My daughter loves Walt's history.

#232 58 days ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I just did Walt's apartment a month ago. It is AMAZING!

Was it worth it?

To think that is where he hung out thinking of what the future had in store is pretty amazing.

#233 58 days ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Was it worth it?
    To think that is where he hung out thinking of what the future had in store is pretty amazing.

It’s worth it.

When I’m there in January 2025, I will be doing it again. This past January, 3 of my friends had to cancel the their trip. So next year when all 4 of us are there, we are doing it.

The tour is only 90 minutes long. They show you some of Main Street and how Walt’s childhood influenced it. Then you go up to the apartment. You get your picture in front of the light that is always on. At the end, you go up on the balcony where you get drinks and a cookie only given out for the tour.

Side note: don’t miss Lincoln. Too many people skip this and I don’t know why.

#234 58 days ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I've done WDW a few times, and just did Disneyland this past summer. It was a pretty different experience. The whole place had less stress, and you just didn't see the types of meltdowns from kids being pushed too hard. Disneyland seems like more of a day park, and obviously less of a resort all-in experience. Wait times also seemed more reasonable.
    My last stay at WDW we stayed at Caribbean beach. The travel to the parks was pretty darn smooth, especially to HS and Epcot with the skyliner. My biggest complaint was that after a long day I wanted to watch some hockey while the kids got some rest. I got to the bar and the bartender told me they'd be closing soon (at 9pm). I asked why, and he said something along the lines of "we find that most people don't really want to be at the bar after a day in the parks." I counted at least 25 people in there at that exact moment. I took my beer to go and saw countless dads sitting on the benches with brews/cigars just having a bit of peace.

Take the skyliner to pop century next time. Petals (bar by the pool) usually stays open till 10pm

#235 58 days ago

This was my night two days ago.. As always, honored to be a guest at the Club.. but even more honored to spend the evening with such a good friend.

20240213_205842 (resized).jpg20240213_205842 (resized).jpg
    #236 58 days ago
    Quoted from pinghetto:

This was my night two days ago.. As always, honored to be a guest at the Club.. but even more honored to spend the evening with such a good friend.
    [quoted image]

The first 33 club sighting in this thread? From a Pinside with 33 listed pins in their collection no less??

Who is this “friend” of yours and how can he/she become my friend?

#237 58 days ago

But I hear it's not the same anymore. And should I have to pay to find out?

#238 57 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

But I hear it's not the same anymore. And should I have to pay to find out?[quoted image]

Very different from the day 1 ride. Day 1 jungle cruise was an educational ride based on their nature programs. Walt’s original vision was to have it be like a safari with live animals. It wasn’t until the 1960s that the jungle cruise as we know it with corny jokes came about. If I remember right, in Marty Sklar’s blood “Dream it. Do it”, the Jungle Cruise might have been one of Walt’s first forays into what he called “Plus-ing” or making changes to existing attractions to keep them interesting.

Added 56 days ago:

Marty Sklar’s BOOK, not blood. Stupid autocorrect…

#239 57 days ago

April trip for restaurants and tours are all booked.

#240 57 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

But I hear it's not the same anymore. And should I have to pay to find out?[quoted image]

Trader Sam got removed from Jungle Cruise. Instead of white men being chased up the pole, it’s now diverse.

I think the Tiki Room is still the same.

So glad they got rid of new management at world.

#241 57 days ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

Very different from the day 1 ride. Day 1 jungle cruise was an educational ride based on their nature programs. Walt’s original vision was to have it be like a safari with live animals. It wasn’t until the 1960s that the jungle cruise as we know it with corny jokes came about. If I remember right, in Marty Sklar’s blood “Dream it. Do it”, the Jungle Cruise might have been one of Walt’s first forays into what he called “Plus-ing” or making changes to existing attractions to keep them interesting.

Yes, I do remember how it went from serious to comedy.

But I have heard they got rid of the shrunken heads recently as well. Not just the ones they used to sell across the way, but also on the ride itself. Don't tell me the Piranha's have been cancelled too.

#242 57 days ago

Well to my surprise 3.5 of the pins work at Pop this time. Still dirty AF, but playable. But all new rubbers.

Tron works the best (no recognizer shield).
    SW actually worked this time, but the C and E on force are still broken.
    X-men worked ok, but the auto launch for MB and the right flippers are super weak.
    GOTG no right flipper.

IMG_2191 (resized).jpegIMG_2191 (resized).jpegIMG_2192 (resized).jpegIMG_2192 (resized).jpegIMG_2193 (resized).jpegIMG_2193 (resized).jpegIMG_2194 (resized).jpegIMG_2194 (resized).jpeg
    #243 57 days ago

I think there might have been a time when Jungle Cruise was drained and Tiki Room was closed at the same time.

So please don't give our elder statesman, the original mouseketeer hawkmoon such a hard time.

We should all be so lucky to remember our first trip to Disneyland 70 years later.

#244 57 days ago

Waking up early and driving from here to Tampa. Should be driving past the madness before it opens. Dropping off Surfer to have the swap performed.

#245 57 days ago

I'm not that old, but I was there for the opening of New Orleans Square and that Haunted Mansion that had just sat there for years. There's books worth written about that and kids in the neighborhood had stories to tell.

#246 57 days ago

Tomorrow is gonna be a great day provided it doesn’t end in a crash and burn. My dreams always end like that.

#247 57 days ago

It was kind of like riding the Monsanto ride but with ghosts.

#248 56 days ago

I’ll be at the parks today visiting some friends from up north who are down with their kids. The wife has an open house in Orlando and it going to drop me off at universal since they have more single rider lines, then we’ll head over to the Disney parks after. Gotta bring a poncho though. It’s going to be rainy.

#249 56 days ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

I’ll be at the parks today visiting some friends from up north who are down with their kids. The wife has an open house in Orlando and it going to drop me off at universal since they have more single rider lines, then we’ll head over to the Disney parks after. Gotta bring a poncho though. It’s going to be rainy.

For dessert, stop at Scat’s Cat and get the banana foster beignets with a side of vanilla ice cream.

#250 56 days ago

Work sends me to Anaheim or Orlando occasionally for conferences, which is great for hitting up the theme parks without much investment. This year, I intend on going to Disney Hollywood Studios after hours, and spending a couple days at Universal Studios.

There are 447 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disney-thread-welcome-to-the-world-of-disney/page/5?hl=bigguybbr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.