C938622F-E4EC-468A-897A-D61D2AD6BBF7 (resized).jpeg
D2479C87-4F69-4993-8867-80E122D4EF1E.jpeg
Super_Nintendo_World_(Universal_Studios_Japan) (resized).png
Stan Mikita (resized).jpg
cry.jpg
pasted_imageWhat was I thinking  (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
0FB828AF-2DEC-4FB8-A425-A070389F1FE5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yaksplat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from marlboroman:

Also ...best kept Disney secret. The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue (Dinner show) amazing grub and show, book it ASAP Catagory 1 (to be called up on stage and better experience)

If you don't want the show, go next door to the trail's end restaurant. Same food, but more variety in a buffet and much cheaper. We consider this to be the best kept secret and usually go there twice on our trip.

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

For you DVC members, are you overall satisfied with the program? I've thought about it from time to time, but I never can make the #'s work.

If you like to say in the deluxe resorts it's worth it. We bought into the polynesian in resale for $140/point. I think the retail is now $235/point. After 8 trips, you'll break even and then it's just the dues. For our family of 5, it's completely worth it. I wish we'd have done it sooner since we go every year.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

Ever taken 2 small kids to Disney world in late July? It was like 3 degrees less than Hell!! OMG. No more of that time of year. How do you guys feel about, or how do you do their food packages? What’s best?

We go at the end of august every year with 3 kids. Temps are usually 90-96F, but we make it work.

Food packages aren't worth it. You have to eat a lot for them to be worthwhile. I personally don't like eating a half pound burger for every meal. My wife and I both eat kids meals. They're cheaper and we're fine having a turkey sandwich. A footlong hotdog is bigger than two hotdogs combined and only a couple bucks more.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

For the annual dues of $1000 - how many points do you get for that?

Depends on the resort. https://www.resalesdvc.com/2020-proposed-annual-dues-disney-vacation-club/

Mine are $1300 for 200 points at the polynesian.

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

We go twice a year, but I've heard that Disney changed the rules on reselling. So is it better to just look at one of the older contracts for sale and purchase that? We enjoy staying in the moderate resorts more than the Deluxes, but wouldn't say no to them either.

With resale, you don't get the full benefits of having the DVC blue card. However, 95% of restaurants and merch places that would have given you a discount with the blue card, will give it to you anyways if you show them in the app that you're a dvc member.

Buying direct would have cost me an extra 20k. I'll never spend enough on merch and meals for the discount to add up to 20k. I'm not at the point where an annual pass makes sense as we only go once per year. You can get the blue card if you buy 100 points direct and the rest resale.

#110 4 years ago

Personally I'm hating all of the paid events that they keep adding that cut hours out of park time. Halloween parties starting in the third week of august. It stinks when you book a trip and then you find that 3 nights of the trip have magic kingdom closing at 6.

I miss the days of extra morning hours every day for people staying at the resorts.

1 week later
#204 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I'm jealous.
We have our next visits planned in Sept at Port Orleans, but I am waiting for my first DVC membership to close, and if it does we will change to a DVC resort. In Sept we do the wine and food festival. In January next year we will have a 10 day vacation, probably at the Wilderness, our favorite resort.
You'll love Port Orleans, that is the one we have been to the most. It's the best of the moderates IMO, and you have to check out Yehaw Bob - well worth it.

Which DVC did you buy into? We bought 200 points at the polynesian last year and now it's our annual 9 night August trip. We stayed at Riverside a few years ago. I loved the theming and thought everything was beautiful, but it's just too big. We ended up in one of the furthest houses and it was a half mile round trip walk to get our mugs at the main building. It's an enjoyable walk, just not with 5 full mugs. The same when i'd just want to bring breakfast back to the room. Our last couple stays at the Polynesian have been great. I like how it's more compact with easy access to the TTC and boat/monorail to MK. It'll be really nice once they finish the path from MK to the floridian so you can walk all the way back from MK.

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

That side bar tucked into the corner is another must see

Trader Sam's. I absolutely love going there. Awesome bar behind a nondescript door in a hallway. It's easy to miss, but completely intentional.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I love how the bar interacts with the drinks that are ordered. I need to make a window like the one that they have there.

1 week later
#221 4 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

There's no such thing as a low attendance day at WDW anymore. With very very few exceptions.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again! It's all over 2 hours after rope drop. If you haven't hit all of the biggest attractions by then and are starting on the secondary attractions, you're gonna wait in a long line. By the time its after lunch, you should be down to Sesame Street 3D, Hall of Presidents, Mickey's Philharmagic, Carousel of Progress, etc.

Late august and early september. That's really it now. They keep trying to fill it with halloween parties though to bring in more people.

#231 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Understand the UK ticket market is very unique and Disney offers extended stay offers to the UK folks at prices MUCH cheaper than anyone else gets. They have different perks bundled in, extended lengths offered, etc.
For 400 pounds they get 14 day parkhopper+waterpark pass and memorymaker included. That's roughly $515 USD. That's cheaper than a 7 day basic parkhopper for US buyers.
Disney offers special pricing for the UK and has done so for decades..

wow, that's unreal. I just spent 2700 on 5, 9 day parkhopper + passes.

2 months later
#297 3 years ago

We've been booked for the last week in August since late last year. I'm interested in seeing how things are handled when they open. However, if there's a mask requirement, I'm cancelling the trip. A mask in 95º heat is a deal breaker.

#309 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

Might as well cancel because it will be required.
“Along with social distancing, one of the things we’re likely going to require is masks for both the cast and the guest,” Chapek said.

Right, but that's at opening. I'm watching to see what changes in the follow months. You never know.

#312 3 years ago

It's really no big deal if we can't go this coming summer. Although it sounds like the crowds would be nice. Southwest is allowing cancellations credits to work through the end of 2022, the park tickets that i have can have their date shifted to next year and my dvc points can just be rolled over to the next year.

If the trip happens, great. If not, we try next year.

1 month later
#351 3 years ago

I'm still holding out on cancelling my august trip. I was hoping the mess would be over by then, but that's not looking like it's going to happen.

#382 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Test Track? Original was better.
Journey into Imagination? Original was better.
Mission Space? push

These 3 were huge mistakes.

3 weeks later
#397 3 years ago

I just dumped all of my Disney stock. I don't see good things happening there in quite a while. Some of the threads that I've been following are painting some pretty terrible pictures for the future if things don't clear up.

#403 3 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

We cancelled our Annual Passes this weekend. What a mess. They can’t tell you how much you’ll get back or if you bought from Sams Club how you’ll even get it back. The CM I talked to on the phone guessed a check but doesn’t know.
Why they wouldn’t give an option to pause Annual Passes is beyond me. We would have done that as would a lot of people I know of on the DisBoards.
They owe us a little over $2k for the passes by my calculations and they lost out on hotel accommodations from us for 23 days at Caribbean Beach and Animal Kingdom lodge as well as tons of dinner reservations and merchandise that we would have bought for ourselves and our two young girls. We are just one family so I have to believe they are hurting real bad.

Our trip was planned for 8/21-8/31 at the Polynesian. I'll just be rolling the DVC points over to next year, or renting them out. We have tickets from undercover tourist. We've been told that the tickets can be shifted to a new date with no issue. If things are better next year, we'll go, other wise we try again the following year.

I personally don't believe that they should have ever entered China. That's been an issue in the works for a while.

#405 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

It's funny, when this all started, many of us Disney fans thought they would lead the way. We had just become DVC members, and were confident that they would stay classy and do the right thing.
Now here we are, and almost every single move they have made has been a disappointment. Obviously leadership is lacking, and the old ways of running the business are long gone. IDK what the future brings.

I'm actually hoping that this process gives the company a swift kick in the ass. I think they've been going down the wrong path for a while now. Cost cutting in areas that need money and spreading themselves too thin.

#422 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

What's next, rethemeing the Hall of Presidents?

There's actually a retheme in the rumor bin for the hall of presidents.

#430 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

I also liked giving away our unused printed fastpasses to strangers

I loved doing that as well. Give a kid a fast pass as he notices how long the current line is. That was always fun, but now gone.

#435 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Meanwhile... the asset library Iger accumulated looks to be the future juggernaut in streaming.

I see that as bait for an Apple hostile takeover. The have enough cash on hand. I was fearing that when DIS was in the 70's a few months ago.

2 weeks later
#461 3 years ago

I was told that my tickets would be good anytime since they haven't been used yet. However, if i use them at a later date, I would have to go to customer service and pay the difference between the rate at which i bought them and the current rate.

I miss buying the 10 day, no expiration tickets, for every trip.

1 week later
#469 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

$9600/yr maintenance fee is crazy

holy crap. Do you have about 2000 points?

#481 3 years ago

The resale cost of DVC is quite low in comparison. I bought a 200 point contract at the Polynesian for $141 per point and the current direct price is $235 per point for the same resort. We tend to go in late August and 200 points is good for about 9 nights. So, after paying for the contract, the dues are your only expense. Our dues are $6.79 per point, totaling $1358. That ends up being about $150 per night when we go.

One of the reasons that we bought at the Polynesian is that we have a 5 person family, so we need that extra bed in the room and it's still considered a studio room and it's not a higher cost 2 bedroom. The Polynesian also has the largest studio room, with an extra shower in it. And we just generally love the being in the resort. It has a very laid back feeling.

Like many others, I have a spreadsheet that I used to determine if this was a good investment for my family. The key is that you have to go to Disney every year, you have to like staying in the deluxe resorts and you should have the cash up front. If you're borrowing the money, you probably shouldn't do this.

The ROI at current rates is about 8-12 years. Disney makes sure that the contracts hold their value by having the right of first refusal (ROFR) on every aftermarket sale. If the price per point is too low, they buy them back up at the low price and resell them at their current rates.

If anyone wants a copy of this spreadsheet, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. I built it off of a lot of historical data. On average, rooms go up 5.38% per year, and dues go up 3%. Renting points goes up 5%. All of these are adjustable.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#487 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

This thread has turned into a time share infomercial.

DVC is a big part of Disney, so that's why it'll come up. Depending on how you travel, it can be a huge savings or a huge waste of money.

3 weeks later
#521 3 years ago

Well. Princess and the frog sucks compared to song of the south.

Thought I'd switch to a different controversial topic.

2 weeks later
#564 3 years ago

We love Trail's End in fort wilderness. It's a great buffet of bbq type food with plenty of choices. It's not too pricey and we go at least once per trip.

I'll be happy when the buffets open back up.

1 week later
#584 3 years ago

Newsom is single handedly killing the Disney parks.

#586 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Doesn't help when Mayor of Anaheim doesn't want 20,000 flying in from all over the world either. Hate to say it...he kind of has a point. We need rapid testing asap.

There hasn't been a positive case traced back to WDW yet that i've heard of.

#588 3 years ago

But most of the people are not from Florida. They're travelling from all over, just as they would be to Disneyland.

#602 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

As far as Disneyland, could care less.

You should care as a fan of WDW. What do you think is driving all of the layoffs that are affecting every Disney park?? If Disneyland can't open, then WDW suffers even more.

#627 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I don't believe that is the case. They are run independently.

Run separately, but all units in the same division. Ever work for a global conglomerate? Unit B lost money, so we have layoffs. Happens all the time.

3 months later
#845 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

I remember a commercial with Fred and Barney from the Flintstones hawking lucky strikes

Winston.

#855 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've been thinking what would make me grumpy, and that would be living in a shithole highrise in a shithole overcrowded city. It would probably age me must faster as well.

A whole lot of truth here.

1 week later
#1013 3 years ago

Masks required for the rest of this year according to the CEO. So this year's vacation is cancelled. Masks aren't bearable when the temperature is in the mid 90's.

On a side note, I'm saving plenty.

2 months later
#1064 3 years ago

With the current restrictions in place and the lower level of magic, I've officially cancelled the trip for this summer. The monorail station at the polynesian is ripped up, trader sam's is still closed, normal park hopping has yet to return, and the epcot monorail isn't running. Perhaps all of this will be sorted out by next summer.

#1086 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Did anyone know that you can take your own food and drinks into Disney? I had no idea, I never figured they would allow that. While we were there having a snack by Alladins Magic Carpet ride there was a family having lunch that they had brought in. Besides it being a very nice and quite large family it would have been uneventful except that a pretty male duck came out of the water and sat politely beside the kids and waited patiently for handouts. He ate everything the kids would give home and when they were done he went to sleep. He was probably the most well mannered duck I had ever seen.

I've seen people pull loaves of bread, cold cuts, mayo and mustard out of a backpack in the tangled rest area. The best was a family that was eating at casey's corner. The parents had food from caseys and then they pulled a gallon bag out of a backpack that was full of water and hotdogs. Like these hot dogs were sitting in the hot water from their hotel? Buns, ketchup and mustard were brought out and the family ate. Bizarre, but perhaps that was their budget.

#1092 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

There are two kinds of people that go to Disney. The super people that are fit and power walk, and those that are slobs, overweight, and eat shit food. It's interesting, we always look at the kids and 99% of the time the apples don't fall far from the tree.
Have to keep in mind that Disney populations are not an average view of American society - it's always a bit above the mean due to the cost.

I'm fit and i eat like a fat slob there. I usually lose 5# in the week. My vacations are also a vacation from skipping carbs.

#1106 3 years ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

Total including travel, slightly above average hotel and park tickets for a family of 4 was the equivalent of $16,500...

Holy.... I think the most I've spent for a family of 5 was $6k. How expensive is airfare?

#1120 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I’m hoping the masks come off by the end of the summer. That’ll be huge in getting the races back for 2022.

I figure if they remove the mask mandate at the end of summer, it will be a 9/1 date for that slow week.

1 month later
#1246 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I agree. We had our honeymoon in Disney 14 years ago and we had the dining plan which back then was great, appetizer entree dessert and drink, tips included. Each day we would look at where we wanted to eat and call the dining reservation number. We ate at some great restaurants and never had a problem getting in. That was before fast pass plus. I enjoyed those days when you would wake up in your hotel room and say, which park do you want to go to today? Instead of planning out your whole day months ahead of time.
We still really enjoy our time there, some things have improved like the new rides and incredibly immersive lands, but I don’t think anything will ever top that trip. People don’t believe me when I say Magic Kingdom was open till 3 am for resort guests twice a week, but we still have the paper times guide in a scrapbook to prove it!

It's amazing how much the experience has been reduced since then.

#1251 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

The lines and the crowds kind of kill it for me, but the wife and kids still want to go so I continue to pay.

I always go in late august, so we trade crowds for heat. After buying into dvc, we're locked in for years to come.

#1256 2 years ago

I usually only make one dining reservation and that's for the biergarten. We will always hit trails end too. Both places are buffets and both are excellent.

1 month later
#1263 2 years ago

I cancelled my august WDW. Maybe next year.

3 weeks later
#1383 2 years ago

I was born in 77. I went in 80, 83, 89...

I absolutely loved it in the 80's. Epcot had just opened in 83 and in 89, we actually had no idea that MGM was opening the week we were there.

1 month later
#1567 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Mission Space is a letdown, because it’s not even the best space ride Disney has.
Space mountain is far superior.
Spaceship earth is far superior….I know it’s technically not a space ride, but it does eventually get there.
Star tours is far superior.
Rise of resistance is far superior.
Millennium falcon is far superior.
Horizons was far superior.
Guardians isn’t open yet, but I’m gonna say it’s far superior.
IMO, I think they would’ve been better off doing something more along the lines of Star Tours. It would get the hourly capacity up and give the riders some more reasons to see it again.

World of motion was better....

The problem is that mission space is so one dimensional. Hop on, get some g-forces and done. Nothing that anyone does has any effect on the outcome. Playing with the switches is more fun than the ride itself.

#1677 2 years ago

This is where i'm hoping they start adding benefits of on site stays. The on site deluxe hotels are insanely priced now. The polynesian is about $700/night now for a standard room. They should give a couple of Lightning Lane passes per day at that cost. I say that as a DVC owner though, as I'd never pay $700/night for that room

#1679 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

You get extra 2 hours on select evenings.

a pittance.

1 month later
#1806 2 years ago

They'll replace anything. I had hundreds of dollars worth of statues that were broken and they sent new ones. I sold the broken ones off as broken/repaired, on ebay.

1 month later
#1854 2 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

After 27 years of DVC, we sold the points today ...well most of them
The yearly maintenance bill arrived a couple weeks ago and it wasn't pretty (over $10k/yr now). We kept 380 of the Old Key West points (cheapest) but sold the rest (remaining OKW, Bay Lake and Animal Kingdom Lodge). This is enough for a 2 bedroom week stay at almost all of the resorts each year minus Xmas week or the park view at Bay Lake (which was our favorite). My parents are too old now to take multiple trips with their friends and my family is too busy to go every year now, plus the price increases and lost perks. We'd rather spend the week at the Disney Hilton Head Resort and relax there. Lots of paperwork to sign but the process was super easy.
[quoted image]

yours, or your parents?

#1877 2 years ago

Just booked the Polynesian for August 9th-19th, for the third year in a row. Hopefully it works out this time.

#1899 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I keep checking to see if the DDP Disney Dining Plan will return for 2022… so far nothing.

I've added up our food costs on a few trips and i don't even come close to the cost of the dining plan for a family of five. I think if half of your vacation is eating for the week it might make sense though.

2 weeks later
#1944 2 years ago

If we didn't own DVC, we'd probably be done

#1964 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Anyone else use Touring Plans app? I'm curious if it is still accurate these days.

I was actually wondering that too after all of the changes that have taken place

#2068 2 years ago

Mission Space and Test Track are garbage compared to their predecessors. After going throughout the 80's and early 90's, I didn't make it back until 2008. What a letdown Epcot was at that point.

#2073 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The original test track is 100 times better than the current version. None of it makes sense. The break test was standard vs ABS The scanning rooms were the old paint shop, hot and cold weather rooms. The door opening at the end was the crash test. I honestly have no idea why the ride has such long lines anymore. Is it just the 64 mph at the end?

Hey, we just drove all the way to Disney from NY averaging 74 mph including stops. What's the first ride to go on? How about a car, but slower and less comfortable.

1 month later
#2182 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

How do you experts think the last week of August through the first week of September will be with respect to crowds?
Just as lousy as any other time?

That's historically the slowest week of the year. It'll be interesting to see how it is this year.

#2191 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's the best time to go...
[quoted image]

That's when we normally go, but this year we're doing the 9th to the 19th of August. Plenty of time to hit everything without rushing.

#2250 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

True, renting points is cheaper, but it is not for everybody, for several reasons. But yeah, if you are able to accept all the downsides of renting points, then you can end up getting a pretty good deal.

What are the downsides of renting? I've done it as a test run of buying DVC resale and it was fantastic.

2 weeks later
#2310 2 years ago

350,000 Disney+ cancellations in the last week

#2348 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

When do those scooters become a thing?

When eating yourself into obesity became a disability.

1 week later
#2490 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I can handle mission space.
I just think they can do something a lot better than what they currently offer.

Well, compared to The World of Motion and Horizons, Mission Space and Test Track are both a huge letdown.

#2495 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Imagineering doesn’t understand Epcot. So many attractions lack character, charm, imagination. RIP Horizons.

I don't know if the entirety of imagineering lost its way, or if accounting ruined it. I do know that Disney seriously needs to clean house from top to bottom and get back on the right path.

1 week later
#2563 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

Recent events make you wonder if Disney could be vulnerable to a hostile takeover if their stock price continues to fall...

I was thinking that Apple was going to buy them and spin off the parks division back when covid first hit and disney was $85/share. Apple had enough cash on hand to get as much media creation as they could ever need.

It would have been $150B for a hostile takeover.

#2566 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

At the Magic Kingdom it was announced that Splash Mountain would be reimaged with a new story and then never moved forward

If there was a positive thing to come out of Covid, this is it.

#2570 1 year ago

It's proof of what a bad CEO can do to a company.

#2572 1 year ago

I'm heading there in august with two other families. I'm dreading the whole Genie + BS

#2585 1 year ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Meaning those projects should’ve never stopped.
Once you break ground in the parks, you don’t stop.

I thought the same thing, construction wise. I was thinking that they'd be able to get so far ahead on the maintenance schedules with no one in the parks. They had the absolute perfect opportunity to polish everything up and they blew it. They could have even maintained all of the social distancing rules and still completed a ton of work.

Yet again, piss poor management.

#2587 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

I remember telling my wife at the time, wow this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for them to do literally anything, change anything. Empty parks. They could have dug up Main Street if they needed to.

I was thinking that they would bang out Tron, GOTG and all of the epcot changes for reopening. I couldn't believe that they just did absolutely nothing. They sure didn't act like a company with $17B in cash on hand.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yaksplat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disney-fans-thread?tu=yaksplat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.