C938622F-E4EC-468A-897A-D61D2AD6BBF7 (resized).jpeg
D2479C87-4F69-4993-8867-80E122D4EF1E.jpeg
Super_Nintendo_World_(Universal_Studios_Japan) (resized).png
Stan Mikita (resized).jpg
cry.jpg
pasted_imageWhat was I thinking  (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
0FB828AF-2DEC-4FB8-A425-A070389F1FE5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eternitytom83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#27 4 years ago

Another big Disney nut and DVC member here. Last year we went to Disneyland over July 4th for Galaxy's Edge (had to make an educated guess as to when it would open when booking the trip), Disney World in August for the opening day of the Florida Galaxy's Edge, then back to Disney World over Christmas for Rise of the Resistance (yes, it's amazing, and worth dealing with all the boarding group craziness to ride).

For Christmas we stayed at the new Riviera Resort, and it quickly became one of our favorites. If you've ever stayed in Epcot for the fireworks and then waited in the resulting bus line, you'll be amazed when you're back at your resort in 15 minutes on the Skyliner. Not parks related, but we also love Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, and that's become sort of our default destination for quick getaways.

I usually monorail over to the Contemporary arcade at some point during our trips. Newer games are generally a safe bet, but then you've got the Tron that I suspect has never had the glass off.

MVIMG_20190703_213154 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190703_213154 (resized).jpgIMG_20190630_145749 (resized).jpgIMG_20190630_145749 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_212910 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_212910 (resized).jpgIMG_20191224_170125 (resized).jpgIMG_20191224_170125 (resized).jpg
#66 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

For you DVC members, are you overall satisfied with the program? I've thought about it from time to time, but I never can make the #'s work.

We joined way back in 2006 and it's probably one of the best purchases we've ever made. For us, it's paid for itself many times over... BUT with the price-per-point as it is today, as you said, it's harder to make the numbers work.

We recently added on some resold Hilton Head points (it's a small resort and difficult to get a reservation at if it's not your "home" resort). Resale is a lower cost option, but you do have to be aware of the limitations of resale versus direct (there are some benefits you only get with a direct membership).

3 months later
#323 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Go back to April 2019, and I was there for the Flower & Garden festival and I had no idea they had the food locations there as well.
Now I know going forward.

Yeah, food booths around World Showcase are almost a year-round thing now. Besides those two, there's the Festival of the Arts in Jan-Feb and the Festival of the Holidays around... the holidays.

1 month later
#357 3 years ago

At this point we still have a trip booked for late July, but it's transformed into more of a "burn our DVC points before they expire" sort of trip. Vero Beach (to check off the last DVC resort that we haven't visited), then a night in a treehouse villa at Saratoga Springs with a boat hop over to Raglan Road for dinner. Is it off topic to post in the Disney parks fans thread about a Disney trip that doesn't involve the parks?

5 months later
#697 3 years ago

It was running when I was there last week. You had to get off there if you were going to the Polynesian since the Poly's monorail stop is closed.

1 month later
#725 3 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Or should I be reading more into this? (eg. APs are gone for good, which could imply several different things).

They described it as sunsetting the program, so APs are going away, but it also sounds like they'll be replaced by something new.

EruRVkeVQAAsy2P (resized).jpegEruRVkeVQAAsy2P (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#930 3 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

The policy is very clear on acceptable face coverings
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/#drawer-card-faceCoverings
[quoted image]

They also email the crap out of you about it before you go.

I was in Epcot Saturday for Festival of the Arts and we had a blast!

#959 3 years ago

When I was there at New Year's the waits were generally lower than posted. The lines look insanely long because of social distancing, but they move quick.

#974 3 years ago
2-and-up (resized).png2-and-up (resized).png
#987 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Does anyone here have any old fastpass tickets that they want to sell? I've been collecting them for years (since they started using them) and there are a few here and there that I don't have (mainly because I didn't know there was one for that attraction). I think I have pretty much all of the FL/CA ones but I'm sure I am missing some from France/Hong Kong/Shanghai (I think I got all of the Japanese but again, who knows)[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cool collection! Made me remember the good(?) old days of sprinting to the FastPass machine of the most popular attraction as soon as they let us into the park.

I have a few stashed away from when we made reservations and ultimately didn't use them, but I'm sure you've got them all.

#989 3 years ago

Yeah, Disneyland's version is definitely more pleasant. Last time we were there (July 2019), we upgraded to MaxPass, which let you make same-day FastPasses in the app. And unlike WDW, there was actually availability for popular attractions. I think it's a problem of scale.

I do wonder if the WDW FastPass system won't get a massive re-think post-COVID.

#997 3 years ago

In the pond of theme parks, Legoland is a guppy and Disney World is a whale shark. If Disney were less stringent about their COVID policies they wouldn't be open right now. Quit obsessing about masks and have some fun!

#1003 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

Are many of the quick serve joints shut down now?

Most of the food is open, but instead of standing in line at the register you mobile order on the app and pick it up when it's ready. Personally I don't mind that one bit.

#1012 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Again, I was told by my wife I had to wear a mask if I went. I didn't go through their web sight to read all their rules. I took my gator that I used in Key West with no problem. Nothing was said on the plane ride there and nothing was said all day at Universal, we had a good time and I wore it and nothing was said at Leggoland. We get to Disney and the first person I see starts yelling at me that I cant wear the gator, I have to buy a POS paper mask. I bought it. So The rat makes kids 2 and up wear the mask, you cant eat while you walk. They yelled at the grand daughter for eating a sucker while walking and right there she was ready to go. Add to that that there are no shows and most of the food places are closed and by God you pull that mask down for a second to not breath your own hot air for a while and someone will come out of the woods and scream. I toughed it out but the grand daughter didn't want to go back. On the trip back on the same airline I was told I couldn't wear the gator and handed me another paper mask. Right there I made my decision that Im done with traveling unless the diaper order goes away. Im sick of this fucking farce and basically martial law for a virus that has a 99.8 percent recovery rate.

When I was in Universal last summer they were just as strict as Disney about the gaiter thing. Same with airlines. So I'm very surprised that you got away with it in either instance. Count yourself lucky, I guess?

Vacations are supposed to reduce stress, so if putting on a mask really generates this much anger from you then you're probably making the right call to avoid travel for a while. I hope you got at least some enjoyment out of your trip.

3 months later
#1220 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I’m just curious now. If you were going to Disneyland in Anaheim, would you find the time to go to a proper hall of fame style arcade within 20 mins drive. Some of my pessimistic friends think that no one will leave the area of Disneyland anymore at all period. (And I am barking up the wrong tree)
What I mean is I understand many people will simply not add to their stay and leave Disney properties at all ever pretty much during their stay.
But would you? I’m thinking it would have to be worth it but yes, I would myself.
I’m getting a notion…

I did exactly that the last time I was there. Grabbed a Lyft and went here one afternoon:

https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/10269-mission-control-santa-ana-ca

2 months later
#1323 2 years ago

To me Genie sounds pretty similar to the old MaxPass at Disneyland, which was great... But I'm extremely skeptical that it will scale well to the crowds at WDW.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Would you book Universal Studios instead?

Universal's version (Express Pass) isn't exactly free either. It works very well in my experience -- no pre-planning, just walk into the express line if you have the pass -- but again, smaller crowds.

I think the best thing Disney could do is to keep the park capacity limits that were implemented because of COVID and keep those limits realistic. When you're standing in Tomorrowland and you literally can't pick your nose without accidentally elbowing another person, then there are obviously more people in the park than the available attractions can support.

We'll probably try Genie once just to try it, but these days we're much more of the wanderer type than the sprint to the next ride reservation type.

#1356 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Once the Contemporary arcade closed, it was all down hill from there.

The Contemporary arcade came back! Though it was closed last time I was there due to COVID...

#1359 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I’m talking about the old one that was in the basement.
https://www.parkeology.com/2020/02/the-fiesta-fun-center-walt-disney-worlds-lost-arcade.html
The first time I ever played pinball was in this arcade. My brother showed me it. Said I would like it more than arcade games…guess he was right LOL
FYI: he was born in 1967 and I was 1978.

Ah, gotcha. That looks incredible! I thought you were talking about the one on the concourse that became a kids club and is now back to an arcade.

I get a little weepy when I get off Space Mountain and walk by where the arcade used to be.

#1361 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

That arcade was amazing.
If we stayed there, I would go every night. If we had dinner in contemporary, I’d go down there while waiting for a table.
It always had the latest and greatest,along with the classics. I remember when afterburner 2 came out with the cockpit. I spent many dollars down there.

Color me jealous. Memories like that are the best.

I'm actually a little older than you, but sadly I never got to go to WDW till I could pay for it my damn self.

1 week later
#1376 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Does Disney have Spider-man ride rights now?

At Disneyland yes, at Disney World no.

#1392 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Disney is a huge NWO, agenda 21 supporter. They support all of this garbage and are probably part of it. The closings and lockdowns are part of the plan.

mickey-mouse-shorts-disney.gifmickey-mouse-shorts-disney.gif
#1409 2 years ago

Not exactly Disney Parks related, but I thought some here might find it interesting. We spent Labor Day weekend in Marceline, MO, Walt Disney's childhood hometown and the real-life inspiration for Main Street, USA.

Sadly, the downtown area has seen its better days -- good luck finding anything open past 4pm, or at all on Sunday -- but we did a private after-hours tour of the Walt Disney Hometown Museum that was easily worth the trip. So while I can only recommend it for hardcore Disney buffs, I feel like it's one of those "gotta do it once" trips for the Disney-obsessed, just to experience the history that permeates the place.
PXL_20210904_212924212 (resized).jpgPXL_20210904_212924212 (resized).jpgPXL_20210905_162517491 (resized).jpgPXL_20210905_162517491 (resized).jpgPXL_20210905_163300069 (resized).jpgPXL_20210905_163300069 (resized).jpgPXL_20210905_172548776 (resized).jpgPXL_20210905_172548776 (resized).jpg

PXL_20210905_184903772 (resized).jpgPXL_20210905_184903772 (resized).jpg
#1411 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Thanks for posting this. What was the hometown museum like? Do they have any of Walt's personal items?

Yes, quite a few. Scrolling through my many, many pics, a few that jump out are the desk he used in first grade (he carved WD into it), the first light table he and Ub Iwerks shared, and the stuffed Mickeys he and Roy gave their parents for their 50th wedding anniversary. They also have an entire room dedicated to letters sent by Walt and Roy.
PXL_20210905_185358120 (resized).jpgPXL_20210905_185358120 (resized).jpgPXL_20210905_183753619 (resized).jpgPXL_20210905_183753619 (resized).jpgPXL_20210905_020410038 (resized).jpgPXL_20210905_020410038 (resized).jpgPXL_20210905_182114678 (resized).jpgPXL_20210905_182114678 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#1600 2 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

PS, did the rat ride open yet? Ratatouille? Anyone ride it?

I rode it last week. It's a lot of fun and the whole area surrounding it is very well themed, with some cool new food options. It's a trackless ride similar to Rise of the Resistance or Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, but in my opinion both of those are better. Neither of them are at Epcot, though! Like someone mentioned, you've gotta do the 7am boarding group thing to get to ride it.

(And I know this is a Disney parks thread, but for me the highlight of my week was getting to go back to Halloween Horror Nights for its 30th.)

#1602 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Does the ride get booked for the day?

There are 7am and 1pm booking windows, and from what I heard people weren't having any trouble getting a slot so long as they were clicking right when the booking went live at either time.

#1612 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I have avoided spoilers, but the trackless rides don't do much for me. Although, Mickey's Runaway Railway was impressive.
I hope Guardians is worth the wait. Seems like their recent new attractions are "meh" (looking at the two Toy Story rides in particular).

I do hope that Disney doesn't fall down the Universal trap of recycling the same ride over and over with a different IP ("Remember Spider-Man? It's like that, but with Transformers!"). Don't get me wrong, the technology is incredible and I feel like they may have reached a pinnacle with Runaway Railway, but they need to put their creative juices flowing towards not letting everything start to feel too samey.

Based on what tiny snippets they've let loose about Guardians so far, I don't think they've lost their way just yet.

#1617 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Is guardians going to be like the Harry Potter coaster that has the dragon?
That’s an awesome ride…not from a pure thrill standpoint like Hulk coaster.

That's sort of the gist I'm getting, yes. Maybe a little more family friendly in terms of the puke factor.

Wait, now you've ruined it for me! "Remember Harry Potter? It's like that, but with Guardians!"

#1620 2 years ago

Oh yeah, I just remembered one cool new discovery that I made last week that might be of interest here: the Shootin' Arcade in Frontierland is now on free play. I don't remember the last time I stopped there, and I'm pretty sure my daughter had never played it, but we had a blast being the only two at Boo Bash who were taking shooting breaks in between the mini-parades.

And speaking of shooting, I also had fun lording over my family with this little beauty:

PXL_20211006_002052327.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20211006_002052327.MP (resized).jpg
#1621 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Ha ha ha! I just mean ride mechanics wise. I'm sure the experience will be very different. I wonder if it will need 3d goggles. That is always a big point of contention since 3D makes some people sick, but others love the immersive aspects of it. My only hope is that it is more reliable. Escape from Gringotts broke down frequently for the first year of operation before they seemingly worked all the bugs out and came up with a proper maintenance plan.

They pulled off some cool 3D-like stuff in Runaway Railway without the need for glasses, so I'm sort of hoping that the glasses will become a thing of the past. As a family of prescription glasses wearers, I don't think any of us would miss them a bit.

1 week later
#1714 2 years ago
Quoted from Krakatoa:

I know it’s Universal so off topic, but I thought you guys might appreciate this T-shirt I picked up at Halloween Horror Nights
[quoted image]

I wanted that so bad when I went! But it's the passholder version.

1 week later
#1720 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I think its jus Disney.
I had heard that Universal doesn't require masks anywhere...if anyone can confirm, that would be appreciated.

They are "encouraged" while indoors at Universal, but there was zero enforcement when I was there last month.

2 months later
#1976 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Surprisingly busy day at Epcot today given that it is upper 50s and rainy…

Yes it was! It was approaching that "salmon swimming upstream" feeling this evening. We hit Remy this morning, tried Space 220 for the first time for lunch, and got signatures from some favorite artists at Festival of the Arts. Then we said "screw this cold!" and we're back at Beach Club waiting on Giordano's.

3 weeks later
#2090 2 years ago

My wife and daughter, who are super into Disney pin collecting, showed me these yesterday, and now I think I'm super into Disney pin collecting.

Screenshot_20220217-184139~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220217-184139~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220217-184159 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220217-184159 (resized).png
3 weeks later
#2145 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Does it make sense if I am already registering for a DAS pass to also get genie plus passes?

I'd say no, probably not. What benefit would you get from Genie+ that you wouldn't similarly get with DAS?

#2147 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Seems like DAS only lets you sign up for 1 ride at a time. For instance if the ride you want has a 90 minute wait, you reserve your spot so in 90 minutes you can go to the ride and go on it. Then you can sign up for another ride using DAS.
I was thinking if you combine it with Genie, you can sign up for other rides while you wait for the DAS one, and also sign up for another to go on right after the DAS one ends.
I’m just learning about both the genie and DAS. First time we’re going with our kids and it’s gonna be spring vacation so it will be busy

In that case I guess it depends on the nature of the disability. If your group is able to go go go and cram in as many rides as possible then sure, I could see doubling up being of benefit.

#2156 2 years ago

I'm not sure about February as a whole, but crowd-wise Presidents' Day weekend has been a horrible time to go for quite a while now.

#2164 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That is in reference to the ride share systems that offer rides to the airport. Disney's service is no longer active - so that's moot. If you book someone like Mears you have to check their policy. They err to the side of early to avoid the crisis of making people late for flights.

Mears Connect hasn't really changed since it was Magical Express, they still pick you up 3 hours ahead of your flight time.

#2172 2 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

One has Cars Land, the other Star Wars land. Can't see one and not the other

California Adventure also has Avengers Campus now, can't miss that!

#2230 2 years ago

Wife gave me this today! Now to see if, by some slim chance, the Toy Story version is still available when we're at WDW next week.

PXL_20220318_203552481 (resized).jpgPXL_20220318_203552481 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#2272 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Any recommendations for a Disney Property Hotel that sleeps 5? I'm not looking for the Contemporary but I'm not looking for the Motel 6 either.
Going to squeeze one last trip (our second one) into Disney while the kids are young enough to miss a week of school and not miss too much so we can go when the crowds are not as big next year. I am surprised at how much prices have risen on hotels though. Last time we stayed at Disney's Art of Animation.

There are also recently renovated family suites at All-Star Music that are surprisingly roomy for a "value" resort.

#2307 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

What does everyone think of Space 220? Despite the bad reviews we had some awesome food there.

We enjoyed it enough in January to go back again when we were there a couple weeks ago. I have to wonder if a lot of the griping isn't due to the price, which is admittedly on the insane side. We did lunch, when the price tag isn't quite as painful, but there are a couple items taken off the menu. My wife and daughter are vegetarians, so the Blue Moon Cauliflower was a huge hit.

If the kids order a mocktail they get a pack of trading cards, and we had a great waitress who told our daughter and niece about the rarest cards that people were scalping. Then she gave them each an extra pack and lo and behold, they were thrilled when they each had a rare card. Not sure if she had a way to stage that or what, but we looked them up and there really were people selling them on ebay for hundreds of dollars. I didn't have any luck talking our niece into scalping hers to cover our meal.

#2319 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Thanks for the advice all!
We ended up doing reservations for 6 days at Disney, with the expectation that one of those days would be spent relaxing by a pool with only a brief trip in to Epcot for food. From what we can tell, Art of Animation is the way to go for a family of 5. We got 25% off with our Disney + subscription. Can't buy meal plans this far in advance. Of note, you have to reserve which park you are going to in advance now. All of April is already sold out.

As of right now there's still no such thing as a dining plan. There are rumors that Disney might rerelease them this year, but who knows.

Not sure when your last trip was, but if the Skyliner wasn't open yet you're going to love it. So much more efficient than other forms of transportation.

#2394 2 years ago

A Ronto Wrap and a Tatooine Sunset is the one meal I have pretty much every trip.

Damn, now my stomach's growling.

#2419 2 years ago

I haven't personally had it, but random people on the internet are calling the stack burger at Steakhouse 71 at the Contemporary the best burger on property. Walking distance from Magic Kingdom, with the added bonus that you won't feel as bad about consuming a gigantic burger after doing said extra walking.

#2437 2 years ago

I guess these aren't exactly the same thing because they're wax, but Universal has these at Halloween Horror Nights. I got a Frankenstein head and a jack-o-lantern last October.

PXL_20211007_184911932 (resized).jpgPXL_20211007_184911932 (resized).jpg
#2442 2 years ago

Here's Frankie.

PXL_20220416_141802718.PORTRAIT (resized).jpgPXL_20220416_141802718.PORTRAIT (resized).jpg
#2456 2 years ago

Masks are now optional at WDW, even on transportation.

wdw-masks (resized).pngwdw-masks (resized).png
#2494 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Last time I was at Disney World was 22 years ago, but I'm very sad to hear that they removed my favorite experience from that trip - Alien Encounter. That thing was amazing. Anyone here do that?

I loved it back in the day! Unfortunately it was too scary for the kiddies, and even replacing the creepy alien with Stitch wasn't enough to save it. They just recently removed the final sign indicating that it was ever there, so it's a big empty nothing currently.

#2507 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

It's hilarious to imagine an Alien ride at a Disney park.

I mean, that's basically what it was, they just didn't end up using alien-with-a-capital-A.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eternitytom83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disney-fans-thread?tu=eternitytom83 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.