C938622F-E4EC-468A-897A-D61D2AD6BBF7 (resized).jpeg
D2479C87-4F69-4993-8867-80E122D4EF1E.jpeg
Super_Nintendo_World_(Universal_Studios_Japan) (resized).png
Stan Mikita (resized).jpg
cry.jpg
pasted_imageWhat was I thinking  (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
0FB828AF-2DEC-4FB8-A425-A070389F1FE5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Trekkie1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#47 4 years ago

Huge Disney fan here. In the past 13 months, I went to do the 2019 Dopey challenge, Star Wars races, wine & dine races, and 2020 Dopey challenge.

Already booked this year for Star Wars races, wine & dine races, and dopey challenge 2021.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

My wife is a marathon runner so we usually go down twice a year for her to hit the marathons. Our kids are young, so my free time while we are there will be limited as they get older. Either way, if you find yourself with some free time after the parks, there is a killer pinball bar/bowling alley about 30-40 in Oviedo. I think it’s called the pinball lounge. Whenever my wife goes to bed early for her marathon the next day, I head over and play for a few hours. They usually have about two dozen pins, mostly newer A list titles in great shape. Really nice place and well run!

Does she do any of the challenges?

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

There is always something happening or a special ticket deal, so there is very rarely a down time at all. January used to be a calm month, it's crowded. Prior to Spring Breaks used to be decent, it's crowded.
Wife is frustrated as we're finding less and less times that we can go and enjoy ourselves rather than fight through the crowds.

As a family, we would go every Christmas. This is back in the 80’s and mid-90’s.

We would get to larks first thing in morning, go back to room at 2pm to catch a nap, then grab dinner at 5:30, then go back to the parks and stay till closing at 11pm. We would walk on to every ride after dinner. It was great.

The last time we did that in the 90’s, was 1993. In 1999, we went for New Year’s Eve. Only time I’ve ever been in a park that was closed due to capacity. That day, after all was special.

Fast forward to Christmas 2008...the parks were mobbed all day long. Was not fun...I’ll never do Christmas is Disney again.

Marathon week 2019, wasn’t too bad with the crowds. This year, it was nuts...I think that mostly has to do with Star Wars land being fully open.

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

None yet, she was thinking about the half and full challenge, but she’s trying to get her marathon time under 3:30 to qualify for Boston. She has done the marathon there every year, and 2 out of 4 times we found out we were having a kid the day after the race. One was when we were checking out of the Polynesian, and the other was the day after we got home. Pretty crazy timing honestly.

Disney isn’t the race for trying to qualify for Boston. Disney even admits that outright. Too many bottlenecks, too many tight turns, too many people stopping.

#126 4 years ago

Here’s where Disney World went wrong in terms of the crowds. In 1971, Magic Kingdom opens with Contemporary (no bay lake tower), Polynesian (before it expanded), Golf Resort, and Fort Wilderness.

Epcot opens in 1982...still same amount of rooms.

MGM opens in 1989...Grand Floridian opens around that time. Caribbean Beach opens up around that time too.

Then Beach & Yacht club, Polynesian already had expanded years earlier, Boardwalk opens, Wilderness Lodge opens.

1998, Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge opens (2001 one for lodge).

Then All Star movies resort opens.

Then one more hotel after another.

I think they are up to 26 hotels...with 4 theme parks. The parks aren’t being expanded enough to hold more guests...it’s time for a 5th park to disperse the crowds some.

Speaking strictly from an economic standpoint, they aren’t charging enough for the park tickets. The fact that their dead times still have crazy wait times for rides, shows they aren’t charging enough. In order to make the parks more enjoyable, they need to raise prices enough to offset any lost foot traffic.

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

For DisneyWorld,
They just raised prices (they do a couple times a year) of the Annual passes overnight.
But they have a deal for Florida residents to get tickets as cheap as $49 per day.
Rumors are the Fast Passes will soon cost $$.
So they raise cost for the repeat devoted customers, and then let a flood of cheap non-pass locals in, and have long lines, but can pay to avoid lines. It's crazy, may not renew, but Tron, Mickey Railroad, Rattatoui, and Guardians of the Galaxy coming soon, what to do?!?
Also heard that they're closing two Asia Pacific parks due to the virus for potentially a couple months.

Come November, I'll be forced to renew my annual pass.

I plan on doing Wine & Dine '20, Dopey Challenge '21 and Star Wars races '21. Doesn't make sense for me to pay for photo pass each trip at $200, plus two 5 day hoppers and an 8 day hopper pass.

Here's what I think they should do with the fast pass system...get rid of the current system. They should introduce a fast pass system, where they only give out 100 fast pass tickets per day for each park. Cost should be $1,000 for offseason, $2,000 when it's a little busier, and $5,000 for the busiest seasons. Each fast pass ticket, will give you unlimited times you can ride the rides in all the parks. By limiting it to 100 per park, it will have zero effect on the lines for each ride.

For instance, if a family wants to fast pass Magic Kingdom for the day during Christmas week, figure family of 4, it would cost them $20,000 for the day to do it. Figure for Disney, that is pretty much pure profit.

Me personally, I hate the fast pass system. It creates longer lines than is necessary to ride the rides. The current execs in charge of Disney, I think what they forget, is that certain rides were designed to eat up the crowds. Look at Star Tours, Pirates of Caribbean, & Space Mountain, those rides were designed with two lines in order to make the attraction as efficient as possible. Now, for those 3 rides, the second line is used as a fast pass line, thus, there are no crowds in those lines.

3 hour wait for Space Mountain was unheard of...until fast pass came along.

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You can do this today... just pay for a VIP tour guide.
The whole 'impact of FastPass' is totally within Disney's control. They CHOOSE to let the FP load crush the standby by the high ratio of FP riders to standby riders. They want to coach new customers that 'guaranteeing they will have an experience...' is the perfect way things should be. Don't pay any attention to how it makes your trip a locked in schedule, or tons of planning, or boost wait times everywhere.. It's all about that piece of mind that you know you will see Mickey at Town Hall, etc..
Disney knows quite well what FP distribution does.. and they are happy to keep pushing it further.
And Paid Fastpass is all but inevitable. It's already done over seas... Disneyland has already monetized Digital Access to FP with MaxPass... WDW already has small scale programs for club level guests, etc.
I don't think Disney will do away with 'free' FP, but they will make a money that will upsell everyone to an enhanced FP.

I totally agree that Disney let's the fast pass crunch the standby line. When I was there a few weeks ago, I saw it firsthand on Aerosmith roller coaster. For every 45 fast pass guests, they let in 15 guests on the standby line. The wait for the ride at the time, was around 60 minutes. Without fast pass, that becomes a 15 minute wait. Tower of Terror was the same thing, 60 minute wait that would be a 20 minute wait without fast pass.

Just look at what has happened to the standby line at Flight of Avatar (I think I messed up the name), it's constantly long due to all of the fast passes handed out. I got to ride in in November, on my 3rd trip in 2019 to Disney...I got lucky too, wait got down to 45 minutes and I quickly ran over there to hop on it.

I won't wait hours in line to go on a ride...no ride is worth it. My fear with Rise of Resistance, is that they will make it, where unless you have a fast pass, it'll take hours to get on the ride.

Here's what I would do to help fix the parks:

Magic Kingdom: Bring back Snow White ride and Mr. Toad's wild ride. With Stitch being closed, come up with something to go there. The Monsters laugh-in should be changed to something else...I miss the old time traveler show they had there. Still needs another completely brand new ride...just don't know where to put it.

Epcot: Fix Imagination.
Mary Poppins & ratoutille (spelling) will help with the crowds in the park.

MGM: Need 2 more rides in Star Wars land. Build an Indiana Jones land off of Sunset Blvd. Add 1 more ride to Toy Story Land.

Animal Kingdom: Add another land to the park. Build 1 more ride in Avatar.

A couple additions to the parks, will definitely help out with the lines. I can't wait to see what the lines look like at MGM after Mickey's Train opens up. Hopefully it shortens everything else up a bit.

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

9/11 was the biggest slowdown in the history of the parks. The entire travel and tourist industry was impacted... and it wasn’t just plane scares... it was the idea we were heading to war. The economy lead to a long starved period in parks capital improvements during the 2000s. Capital investment was well beyond historic trends up until the pivot that started DCAv2 and new fantasyland in MK.
If it wasn’t for the success of the cruise line during that period... you could have seen a very different parks during that time.

I did a 5 day trip in December 2001.

My first day, I went to Magic Kingdom. Got there at noon, park closed at 6pm...got the whole park done.

What we would do for dinner, is stay at the park till closing time, then go to a resort that wasn’t close to get dinner. Just to try and kill some time. For instance, stay in Animal Kingdom until 6pm, then go to Contemporary for dinner, just to try and kill some time.

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

I agree that WDW is lacking in capacity, but I don't think a fifth gate is necessary just yet. They need to add additional capacity to the current parks first.

The thing is, Disney artificially limits the capacity of their existing attractions, particularly during slow seasons. Ignoring the effect of FastPass+, which has been something of a disaster in terms of inflating the wait times of less popular / high throughput attractions (POTC being the best example), Disney significantly reduces staffing, number of ride vehicles etc in the off season. If the parks were being operated like they are in the high season in the low season, wait times would be significantly reduced. The reason there is no true off-season anymore is more down to management decisions as opposed to vastly higher crowds.
If less people were visiting due to higher priced tickets, they would further reduce the operating capacity of the attractions so the wait times would be the same. Due to the constant cost cutting strategies employed at WDW, attraction wait times aren't a representative metric of how many people are visiting at any given time / how busy the parks actually are.

Couldn't agree more, and I'm a huge WDW fan. I think it's going to be very interesting to see how Universal's current offerings impact WDW 20-30 years down the line. Many, many people who visit WDW now do so due to memories of their visits when they were young. It's the sentimental effect of wanting to share that 'magic' they felt with their own children... and lots of kids these days are forming more of those memories at Universal. Anecdotally, I've helped countless people plan Orlando trips from the UK, and I'd say that 90% come back saying they enjoyed Universal more than Disney due to how much easier / more relaxing it is and how much less time they spent waiting in lines.

Yup, fantastic advice. Love MaxPass at DL, it reminds me of how much more I used to enjoy WDW.

When I was there in November, I did the Safari ride with a fast pass in Animal Kingdom. What I thought was crazy, is our truck only had like 10 guests on it, while there was a 45 minute wait to get on the ride.

More of why I hate fast pass. That ride was designed to have 2 loading areas. Not one loading area with next to no one on the truck and another loading area where the trucks are filled.

#190 4 years ago

I have my future trips lined up.

First week of March, doing Universal Studios and 1 day at Epcot. Family trip...I don't have to pay...thank god!!! Epcot dinner is La Hacienda de San Angel.

Mid-April, doing Disney for 5 days for the Star Wars races (all 3). Doing Hoop Dee Doo Revue, Restaurant Marrakesh, Shula Steakhouse (I may get dinner at garden and flower festival booths), Boma and Flying Fish. I saved Flying Fish for last, so I can grab some snacks at the Boardwalk Bakery for my flight that night. Staying at Caribbean Beach...first time there.

First weekend in November, doing Disney for 5 days for Wine & Dine races (all 3). For this trip, I don't plan on making any dinner reservations...just going to eat around the world every night for dinner. Staying at Port Orleans - Riverside...first time there, but I have stayed at French Quarter twice.

2nd weekend in January, doing Disney for 8 days for the Dopey Challenge (all 4 races). I will have dinner reservations for every night there. Staying at Gran Destino Tower @ Coronado Springs...I stayed there this past November.

Haven't booked April '21 for the Star Wars races, I haven't found those dates yet.

For the Universal Trip, my sister-in-law went through a travel agent. The travel agent said, she is finding that people who are going to Universal and staying on property, are starting to switch all their future Disney trips into Universal trips. Complaints she is hearing is that it takes too long to get from place to place, the lines are too long, picking fast passes 60 days out is a hassle, and 180 day window for restaurant reservations is a pain in the ass.

I totally agree with the travel agent said. Yesterday, I hit my window for fast passes for April. I fly in Thursday, doing Magic Kingdom. Everything except Seven Dwarfs mine train was available. Friday, doing MGM. I'm hoping they keep a 9am opening, if they make it 8am and I have at least the B corral, I'll be able to get there and get a boarding pass for Resistance. Slinky Dog coaster, Millennium Falcon, and Mickey's rain were all booked. Saturday, doing Epcot, Frozen was booked up. Sunday, doing Animal Kingdom. Everything was available, first fast pass is 3pm. I did that on purpose, this way I have enough time after the race to get my picture taken in front of the castle, Gruman theater, and Millennium Falcon, as well as grab lunch at 50's prime time cafe. Monday, doing MGM. Everything was available. I picked up Mickey's train, first available pass was 1:25pm. I plan on getting a boarding pass for Resistance. My Magical Express leaves at 7:15pm, so I hope I don't pushed back too late.

I think Disney might be a little short sighted right now. Once Universal gets that 3rd park up and running, that definitely will eat into the crowds at Disney. Between people upset that they are spending top much and not getting enough for it with Disney, and with Universal having the latest and greatest, I think you're gonna start to see Disney take it on the chin a little.

IMO the worst thing Eisner did was introduce fast pass. The whole reason why they introduced it, is people were complaining about the crowds and long runs, which hurt their attendance. The problem is, none of the rides are designed to handle an overcrowded park. Look at Haunted Mansion...that's the perfect theme park ride, it is constantly moving. If memory serves me correct, I believe it's designed to handle around 3,000 people per hour. When the park is overcrowded, there isn't enough time for every guest to ride it.

I know I said it before, but I'm so in favor of just killing the fast pass system. Tron coaster will help with the crowds in Magic Kingdom. If you're not at rope drop, I wouldn't even try to get on it without a fast pass. Same thing with Guardians in Epcot. For Resistance, I don't know how they'll ever be able to get away from the boarding pass. It can't stay operational.

*Little note, last time I did Hoop Dee Doo Revue was around 35 years ago when I was around 7.

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Disney is burning up it's good will with the non-stop nickle and diming.. crowding. Disney is just a ton of work... alot more than it used to be.. and the push to scheduling everything in your vacation turns many people off.

+1

I miss the days of waking up in the morning and deciding which park to go to. Then in the afternoon, deciding where to grab dinner.

Here’s my prediction: Disney will be so overcrowded all of 2021 for the 50th (and new rides opening). That I think people will start to question weather it’s worth it to go in 2022.

What would help too is if parents would stop taking their kids out of school a week after their Christmas vacation. I couldn’t believe the amount of kids during Marathon Week. When I was in school, no parent would ever dream of taking their kids out of school right after Christmas break.

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Is marathon week crowded now? I went in 2010 for a week, ran the marathon, and felt like I rarely waited for any rides. The temperature was in the 30s but other than that it was amazing. That was in the good old days when you could distract the cast member at the fastpass machine, push a button on the back of the machine a bunch of times, and get a bunch of fastpasses without your ticket.

2019 wasn’t bad. Was more crowded than I was expecting. But was still manageable.

This year? Holy crap!!!

I’m guessing marathon 2021 will be a madhouse too, for the 50th. I’m hoping 2022 drops back down to a normal level.

My only saving grace, is that since I’m doing 3 trips a year, I’m picking and choosing what to hit. Not the end of the world if I skip some rides, I’ll catch them on the next trip.

Here’s a rant with this year’s marathon...the guests in Animal Kingdom were complete assholes. They constantly ignored the cast members directions and would cut through our course. I almost tripped over a 5 year old. Had an adult clip my heel. Then another guy ran onto the course and stopped right in front of me. God forbid they need to wait 2 minutes until there’s a break in the runners to get to their next ride. You could see the frustrations with the cast members. The guy who stopped in front of me I yelled at...I didn’t care, at this point it was around 83 degrees with 93% humidity and I’m around mile 16.5.

At least with the Star Wars and Wine & Dine half marathons, we’ll be out of the Animal Kingdom before it opens. I can’t wait to see how the course is adjusted for MGM. I didn’t like in this year’s marathon that we were on Sunset Blvd for a minute. We came in by Tower of Terror, like usual, but then we went out next to Beauty and Beast stage show. It’d be really cool if they can design the Star Wars 10k and half marathon for us to go through Galaxy’s Edge.

#208 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

We bought into the Wilderness (Boulder Canyon). We stayed there a few years ago, but every year we go back and visit. There is just something about that main lobby that allows me to "exist", free of life if you know what I mean. Back in Jan - kids and wife went on their own tours, I took the monorail from Shades of Green (great resort by the way) to MK, and then a boat to the Wilderness. I found a nice chair by a fireplace on the 3rd floor, and just read for 4+ hours. I haven't done that in years.
We bought 200 points, hopefully it closes and we get the points before the 7 month window comes up. Since Shades is so close to Poly, we hung out there a lot this year. That side bar tucked into the corner is another must see (trader joes or something?). Guess we should have bought into DVC years ago when the points were a bit cheaper, but buying into a "timeshare" is still something I keep asking myself if I'm crazy.
Funny thing is, many of the DVC folks I talk to, don't even go to the theme parks that often.

How did you take the monorail from Shades of Green?

1 week later
#213 4 years ago

You would think a day like today, the parks wouldn’t be too crowded.

16DAC1BA-27C2-4BA3-93E1-7E588F05CF75 (resized).png16DAC1BA-27C2-4BA3-93E1-7E588F05CF75 (resized).pngB9B7B6F9-5B4B-46CB-A567-CC370D2497AC (resized).pngB9B7B6F9-5B4B-46CB-A567-CC370D2497AC (resized).png
#216 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

I believe its is "ski week" in Socal.
Winter break for public schools

What’s it going to be like tomorrow with it being Ash Wednesday?

#220 4 years ago

I read an article today about Disney World. It said in 1998, the had close to 43 million visitors. For 2020, they are on pace for 60 million.

They badly need a 5th park.

1 week later
#233 4 years ago

I’ve been down in Universal Orlando since Monday. Doing Epcot today. Universal again tomorrow. Home on Friday. Last time I was here was in 2004.

A few thoughts. Marvel land has gotten long in the tooth. Hulk and Spider-man are still great rides. Kong ride was good. Harry Potter land was sick...I know nothing about Potter. The motorcycle ride was AMAZING!!!! I got to sit in the front on it. The other potter ride when you’re flying was very good too. Comic strip and Forbidden planet areas need to be redone.

Fast & Furious was disappointing. MIB needs an update. The dragon coaster in Potter was awesome.

After seeing what Universal was able to do with Potter, just absolutely amazing. If they can make all the lands in Epic Universe just like that....wow is all I have to say.

I know they said Super Mario Land is coming. I’d love to see Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, classic monsters, Batman.

One thing I like too, the parks are empty. I don’t get how Disney is crowded when you think it should be empty and universal is empty when you think it should be empty.

In regards to express pass vs fast pass. I like how Universal doesn’t treat the express pass as a front of the line pass the way Disney does. It definitely keeps the lines moving. Plus, it’s limited unlike Disney giving it out to everyone.

#234 4 years ago

Anyone doing the Wine & Dine races in November? WOW!!! I can’t believe how fast they sold out.

1 week later
#262 4 years ago

Star Wars races got canceled.

I’m assuming they’ll use the same medals and merchandise for next next year.

#264 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Aren't they dated?

I don’t think they were manufactured yet. They are made in China and I’m guessing they haven’t gone into production yet. If they were, I could see Disney giving us the option to receive them. My 2020 marathon medal, the Mickey side of it was poorly painted. They sent me a brand new medal for free.

We are getting the virtual half marathon medal. I will keep everyone updated as to when I get it.

I fully canceled my trip for the races. I’m disappointed. Was really looking forward to the flower and garden festival. I was there March 4, but I was more focused on the food booths and trying different things, to prepare for my April trip. Next trip is scheduled for Wine & Dine races.

1 week later
#269 4 years ago

Disney put marathon weekend race signups on hold. They were suppose to open them up April 7th.

Any thoughts on how Disney will be able to re-open the parks?

I was taking to one of my friends tonight. I’m guessing they’re either going to take everyone's temperature or use that 5 minute test on everyone. I just don’t know how you do it. Big deal if the Orlando area is clear in a couple months, anyone flying in won’t quarantine for 2 weeks before going to Disney.

I’m afraid they will cancel all the races, even if the parks are open.

Thoughts?

#292 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

We need a wide deployment of rapid covid-19 tests. No one is going to want to go to Disney world or anywhere else if they think they're putting themselves and others at risk.
I am optimistic that that is a problem that can be solved. It just won't be this week.

I can’t wait for the Wine & Dine races and Marathon weekend.

I’m still upset that the Star Wars races were cancelled, but I understand why they did it.

1 month later
#295 3 years ago

Marathon weekend sold out in 30 minutes yesterday. Goofy took 15 minutes, Dopey took 28 minutes.

Disney definitely limited the numbers. Dopey should take months, not minutes.

#310 3 years ago

The better not force us to wear masks during the Wine & Dine and Marathon weekend races.

Wearing a mask on the bus ride to the corrals. I'm fine with it.

Wearing a mask while sitting in the corrals. That's fine too.

Wearing a mask while running? Forget it. Just not feasible. Look at the marathon this year, I was soaked by mile 3. By mile 6, I was completely drenched. People were falling over during the marathon...that's without a mask making it harder to breathe.

If you asked me, as of now, I can't see Disney going through with the Wine & Dine races. Those are at normal capacity. Marathon weekend is at greatly reduced capacity...Marathon/Goofy/Dopey do not sell out in minutes.

#319 3 years ago
Quoted from Pedleboy:

We just booked restaurants Monday morning (180 days out) and arrive Nov 7th. We have no idea what is going to happen in 6 months but we have to plan like we're going. One question I haven't seen answered....how do they have reduced capacity (say 50%) if the hotels are filled to say 75%? How do they choose who gets in? Waiting in huge cues outside the parks before rope drop isn't a feasible option. I'm hoping people are scared (and there isn't a big outbreak) in November and we have the park to ourselves.
D.

Restaurants? The food and wine festival is the way to go for dinner every night.

#322 3 years ago
Quoted from Pedleboy:

I TOTALLY agree with this. We booked California Grill for a fireworks time and my wife really wants to go to Jiko. We also booked Rose and Crown for Harmonious.

We originally booked that time because of the weather and crowds. No telling what it will be like now if they are even open. Fingers crossed it's open and empty.
D.

2019 Wine & Dine races was the first time I was ever there for the food and wine festival. Naturally, I had no idea what it was when I was there. I thought it was something like cooking classes. My last day there, I was in Epcot and I finally realized what it was!!!! I stuffed my face for the next 5 hours before I had to leave to the airport. Go back to April 2019, and I was there for the Flower & Garden festival and I had no idea they had the food locations there as well.

Now I know going forward.

#324 3 years ago

Does anyone know what Disney will be doing with the AP bee magnet for flower and garden festival?

I got my Donald one when I was there in March.

#341 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoxxy:

If it was 1 degree hotter they were going to cancel it. I believe it was 83 and 84 was the cut off. It wasn’t the most fun race ever. I’ll say that.

It wasn't the temperature as much as it was the humidity. When the race started, it was 95%. When I cross the finish line, it was at 92%.

And the full sun didn't help either...forecast called for clouds...they were out there, just not over Disney. Let me tell you, the cold Hershey Kisses at mile 23 were the best tasting candy ever!!!!

Did you make it through Blizzard Beach? I was a few minutes away from making the turn to head there, when they modified the course.

Did you do the 2019 Marathon? That one was a hot one too. 95% humidity at race start, but it quickly fell once the sun came up...it's just that it was full sun blasting us the whole time.

#344 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoxxy:

I’ve run the wine and dine half for the last three years, got into it by accident as we started going for Halloween with the kids. Finished respectively all three years.
It was last year they were going to cancel if it was 1 or 2 degrees warmer. I believe one person died in the 5k and another in the 10k in 19 too because of temperature.

https://insidethemagic.net/2019/11/update-new-details-rundisney-death-kc1/

Death was at the 5k.

There was no heat advisory for the wine and dine races. There was one for Marathon Weekend’s half and full.

I believe the hottest half marathon was Princess 2019. I had heard it was around 95 for it.

1 month later
#345 3 years ago

Anyone make their park reservations?

What a disaster on Monday. I have an annual pass, plus 2 different hotel reservations. The system would only let me book 3 total days. I tried all day to get through on the phone, but kept getting circuits busy. Luckily, Tuesday morning the system worked correctly, and I was able to book all my parks.

Even just trying to log on Monday. I think the system went active around 7am. I couldn't get through on my computer until about 3pm.

I'm a little disappointed with my November trip. Thursday - Monday. Thursday - Sunday is Epcot, Monday is Magic Kingdom. No park hopping allowed. Ugh. My initial plan was to be in Epcot every night for dinner at the Food & Wine Festival, while doing a different park during the day. Now, I'll just have to do Epcot that many days in a row to experience all the different delicious foods.

#348 3 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

I've got a hotel reservation but didn't make any park reservations yet. Leaning toward cancelling. I really like going to the parks at night. The short park hours are not for me.
On the other hand, it would be nice to get to the parks. So I'm still a bit undecided.

If my races are canceled, then I’m canceling.

#363 3 years ago

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/25/media/splash-mountain-disney/index.html

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Splash Mountain is being re-imagined into the princess and the frog because of the racial undertones the current ride represents.

#367 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That’s good. Using “song of the south” has been incredibly problematic for them for years. Good move.
Disney doesn’t need this bullshit they have enough problems. Why waste time and resources defending the theme of a splash ride?

Does that make all the fans who like this ride racist?

I've been on it hundreds of times...I've seen people from many different nationalities ride this ride...always waiting in line with excitement and walking off the ride smiling.

#369 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Do you think people won’t enjoy the new ride? I’m sure people will still wait on line with excitement, and still walk off the ride smiling.
It’s 31 years old. Nothing wrong with a makeover. Don’t see the big deal. Your memories will be secure, like those of mr toad’s wild ride, and you may enjoy your new memories on the Frog and the prince. You should be excited! Finally something new after hundreds of rides.

You dodged my question.

Everyone who is a fan and doesn't want the ride to change, does that make all of us racist?

#373 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No. It does not make you all racist.
Does it make everybody who doesn’t give a shit that they are changing the theme of a splash ride a snowflakey snowflake? Theme parks change the themes of aging rides all the time, don’t see why this obvious candidate gets an OMG!!!!

It’s the same exact reason why people lost it when Carousel of Progress was slated to be removed. It’s a beloved ride. Based on the lines for splash mountain, people haven’t gotten tired of it yet.

I’m all for more rides. Not changing rides for the sake of changing them.

IMO, the new test track is such a downgrade from the original test track. The braking area now makes no sense, the weather and paint shop make no sense, the truck makes no sense, and the doors opening at the crash test make zero sense. It’s still fun to ride, but totally missing something.

If they introduced a brand new ride with Princess and the frog, I’d be all like “I can’t wait to go on it!!!”

Pooh replacing Mr. Toad was a downgrade.

Alien Encounter was fantastic, but I get it not really belonging in Magic Kingdom. That ride is more suitable at MGM.

I’m still upset that they don’t do the Country Bear Christmas. That show was phenomenal.

#379 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well hopefully you will enjoy the new version as much as you enjoyed the old version. Please let us know how the lines are and if people are still smiling when they get off it.
Did they ever put the alligators back on the jungle cruise? I think the removed them after that...unpleasantness...a few years back.

The only alligator I remember being removed was the Peter Pan one in the parades.

#381 3 years ago

Here's a question: Can anyone name 1 retrofit that is better than the original?

Hall of Presidents? Original was better.
Test Track? Original was better.
Journey into Imagination? Original was better.
Mission Space? push
Star Tours? Not sure if it would count as a retrofit, if it does, retrofit was better.
Norway (now frozen)? Original was better.
Universe of Energy (then Helen)? Original was better.
People mover (rocket rods)? Original was better.
Lion King (Pillar of Magic)? Original was better
the sounds with chevy chase (sounds with drew carey)? Original was better.
Tiki Room (New management)? Original was better....thank God they brought it back.
Alien adventure (stitch)? Original was better.

2 underutilized pieces of land is the Tree house & Tom Sawyer Island. They could've added a new ride and increased capacity at the same time.

3 weeks later
#396 3 years ago

Wine & Dine races canceled. Ugh.

Disney said the plan is for Marathon Weekend to continue.

#427 3 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

There's actually a retheme in the rumor bin for the hall of presidents.

I miss the old Hall of Presidents show. Not a huge fan of how they focus on a couple presents.

#439 3 years ago

With fast pass not in use now, I hope when everything goes back to normal, that fast pass stays gone.

#447 3 years ago

Here’s my issue with fast pass, I apologize if I had previously said this.

Back before fast pass, carousel of progress, tiki room, country bears, American adventure, muppet 3D, etc. would have no empty seats. Now, those shows are constantly empty, even when the parks are packed. Parks should be explored. With the fast passes, people are just skipping right over these.

Universal does it the right way. It has a very negative impact on lines.

You should walk into the parks, keep your phones away, and go right or left and start exploring. Not one reservation after another.

3 weeks later
#476 3 years ago

I recently looked into DVC. Seemed the time to have done it was 20 years ago.

Cheaper for me to stay at a moderate resort 3 times a years with my annual pass than doing DVC.

8 months later
#1065 3 years ago

Not sure if others are into Run Disney, but I was listening to a recent podcast that had some inside info regarding the upcoming races. They said it looks like the Wine & Dine will be virtual and there's a 60% chance that Marathon weekend will be taking place.

It was so depressing to lose Star Wars '20 & '21 races, now they will be re-theming that race weekend. I only got to do the Star Wars '19 race weekend...being a total Star Wars nerd, it was a ton of fun. I just hope it's a good theme they go with. I had so much fun in 2019, doing Marathon, Star Wars and Wine & Dine race weekends.

Such a shame to lose 2 Wine & Dine races and I hope Disney does everything in their power to keep Marathon weekend '22 in the parks. I refuse to do those races virtually.

#1067 3 years ago

As for the Fast Pass system. I hope Disney never brings it back.

These parks were designed to be explored. Not to walk in with a reservation system, like you have a doctor's appointment. Amazing shows like Country Bear Jamboree, Muppets 3D, Hall of Presidents, American Adventure, Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, etc, would start to have full shows. So many people skip right over this, because it's "fast pass this, fast pass that." I remember before the fast pass system, having to actually wait to get into these.

The Express Pass works well at Universal, because of how limited it is. I remember last time I was there on Aerosmith, it looked like for ever 45 people let in through fastness, they would let in maybe 15 people from the standby line. What was an hour wait, should've been no more than a 15 minute wait. Then, it would also free up the single rider line for, you know, actual single riders.

#1068 3 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

I've never done any races before but I'd love to sign up for one in the future. You get to run through the parks, right?

Yep. Each race has different parks.

All the 5ks, go through Epcot. All the 10k's, go through Epcot. Marathon weekend, the 10K starts in Epcot, then down on the Boardwalk, back up past Beach and Yacht, back through Epcot. Star Wars/Wine & Dine start at Transportation and ticket center, goes straight to Epcot.

Marathon weekend half marathon starts at Epcot parking lot, straight to Magic Kingdom and back through Epcot. The Star Wars/Wine & Dine half started at Transportation and ticket center (staying at Polynesian is very convenient), to Animal Kingdom, MGM, then Epcot.

Marathon hits all 4 parks. In 2020, they added Blizzard Beach to it, but I didn't get to go through it, cause they had cut the course due to extreme heat. It was mainly in the parking lot there and people were passing out. Disney made the right call in shortening the course. Marathons aren't meant to be run in full sun, with 85 degree temps and 95% humidity.

Along the way, people stop to get their pictures with characters, in front of Spaceship Earth, the Castle, etc. People get all dressed up too. It's not a race to try a PR, it's a race to have fun.

#1083 3 years ago

We can now pour our own self serve drinks again in Disney World.

#1119 2 years ago

I’m hoping the masks come off by the end of the summer. That’ll be huge in getting the races back for 2022.

#1126 2 years ago

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/coronavirus/2021/04/28/orange-county-mask-mandate

We may be closer to normal at the parks than we had realized. Very good news.

1 month later
#1252 2 years ago

I heard a rumor the Fast Pass system will be changing to a scaled down version that you may for...guess someone from disney read one of my earlier posts. LOL

I hope that is the case. Everything I've read that with no fast pass, that shows like Muppets 3D, Country Bear Jamboree, Tiki Room, and Carousel of Progress have more guests attending them. That's another reason I'm against fast pass, people miss out on these gems in order to do their fast passes.

I remember as a kid, walking into Magic Kingdom and going left. That means we did Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Pirates, Splash Mountain, Rolling Thunder, Country Bears, Hall of Presidents, then Haunted Mansion. Not this 8am at Splash Mountain, 9am at Space Mountain, 10am at Haunted Mansion. You went and did...the way these parks were designed to be visited.

I remember back then, Carousel of Progress would be a full show. Today when I do it, I'm one of just a handful of people. Same thing for Tiki Room, hall of Presidents, American Adventure, Country Bear, Muppets 3D, etc.

I hope they never bring back the 180 days for reservations. That's just ridiculous.

I'm booked for January 4 - 12th...only if Marathon Weekend returns for 2022...which I hope they do. Looking to do my 3rd Dopey.

1 month later
#1297 2 years ago

I'm booked for 8 days in January and 5 days in April.

All signed up for Dopey Challenge and waiting for the April race theme to be announced.

I'm hoping to do a weekend in Epcot for Food & Wine after NYC Marathon.

#1303 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Wow, I had no idea there was a big dinosaur pre show fan club!

I hope Disney redesigns that area of Animal Kingdom. Not necessarily get rid of the dinosaur ride. But just raise the level of that area and get rid of the carnival games.

Maybe something similar to pirates ride, but with Land of the Lost? (I don’t know what who owns the rights).

#1310 2 years ago

Indiana Jones land should go in MGM.

I love animal kingdom. Get 1 more Avatar ride. Fix dinosaur land. Park will be perfect.

#1320 2 years ago

What is everyone’s thoughts on the new Genie platform?

Is the $15 per ticket per day going to stop people from upgrading?

What do you think the lightening lanes will end up costing? If Disney isn’t charging at least $50 per ride for it, they are crazy.

They seriously need to get anyway from all this planning. The best way to explore the parks is not with one’s nose looking down at the phone. But by walking in, picking a direction and just go.

If they want to fix the “crowds”, get rid of any fast pass system (unless it’s extremely limited). This just creates crowds on the pathways. Add more to the parks. MGM desperately needs 2 more lands. Add a 5th park.

If I’m in charge of Disney, I want people to come back because they didn’t get to go on everything, because of how much there was to do.

#1322 2 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

This genie system seems to me to be a rip off. I now will have to pay 60 per day for a family of 4 (say 300 total for a 5 day stay) to get what I got for free with fastpass. Couple that with no parkhoppers and the loss of convenience and fun by eliminating magical Express and it adds up to me probably not going back for the forseeable future. Fp could get complicated for sure but how is ror an improvement when in order to have a chance of getting on you have to synchronize your watch like you're invading Normandy and execute with precision of literally 2 or 3 seconds?? That sucks! WTH is disney thinking?? It was my favorite vacation destination but I dont see going back anytime soon. Maybe if attendance drops they will get their minds right.

Looks like park hopper is coming back based on the genie app, being able to book rides in all the parks on the same day.

I’m wondering how many other people look at these added costs and say “no thanks”. Here’s a question for you. Would you book Universal Studios instead? Or just pick a completely different kind of vacation?

But if you ask me, they don’t have the ride capacity to handle the amount of hotel rooms they have.

The other problem they have, is they keep replacing rides with high hourly capacity with rides with less hourly capacity. World of Motion had hourly capacity of 3,200, Test Track is around 1,200. Horizons was 2,7000...Mission space is 1,600. Wonders of Life was closed...finally the Play! pavilion is coming to help with the crowds.

They need to build some newer rides that can handle 3,000 people per hour.

#1334 2 years ago

I’m wondering if not having Magical Express will have any effect on attendance. I’m wondering how many people won’t be able to figure out how to get to and from Disney and the airport.

#1346 2 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Rumours are that the additional fee for top tier attractions is going to be a fair bit more than $10. I’m guessing it will depend on time of year and crowd level, but I’ve seen numbers closer to $20 - $25 suggested, with rumours of even more for the very peak seasons.

IMO, Seven Dwarfs mine train at peak times will be around $50.

Kind of ironic that we needed passes to get on rides until Epcot opened…now we need passes again.

#1348 2 years ago

I still say Universal does it the right way. It has no effect on overall lines.

#1355 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Well it looks like Disney isn’t into pinball anymore. Very disappointing as before I owned machines Disney is where I played most of my pinball.
Took the skyliner to Hollywood studios this morning, then a friendship boat to Yacht and Beach club to visit their arcade, no pinball. Then walked to the boardwalk and no pinball there either. Walked to Epcot and took the skyliner back to Caribbean Beach. Nice morning of walking around and seeing the resorts but pretty bummed about the pinball situation. It all went downhill when they got rid of the ticket dispensing and prizes, with no arcade attendants there was no maintenance and less kids spending money. With less money coming in I don’t think Disney cares about arcades anymore and for sure doesn’t care about pinball.

Once the Contemporary arcade closed, it was all down hill from there. I was shocked the Tomorrowland arcade lasted as long as it did.

IMO, as the parks started to close later and later, there was less use going on in the arcades.

#1358 2 years ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

The Contemporary arcade came back! Though it was closed last time I was there due to COVID...

I’m talking about the old one that was in the basement.

https://www.parkeology.com/2020/02/the-fiesta-fun-center-walt-disney-worlds-lost-arcade.html

The first time I ever played pinball was in this arcade. My brother showed me it. Said I would like it more than arcade games…guess he was right LOL

FYI: he was born in 1967 and I was 1978.

#1360 2 years ago

Ah, gotcha. That looks incredible! I thought you were talking about the one on the concourse that became a kids club and is now back to an arcade.
I get a little weepy when I get off Space Mountain and walk by where the arcade used to be.

That arcade was amazing.

If we stayed there, I would go every night. If we had dinner in contemporary, I’d go down there while waiting for a table.

It always had the latest and greatest,along with the classics. I remember when afterburner 2 came out with the cockpit. I spent many dollars down there.

1 week later
#1380 2 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Finally catching up in here and saw the chat about the lower level contemporary arcade. I totally remember it when I was a kid, but I swear (maybe I’m mistaken), that you could eat all the soft serve ice cream you wanted down there. I think there was a machine that you could just help yourself. Anyone else remember something like that?

Can't say I do...was doing playing the games. LOL

All the times I was down there, I never once ate at the cafe.

The time I would play:

- If having dinner at Contemporary, I would go down and play while we waited.

- If we stayed there, on way back from parks. This was back when they closed relatively early.

- If we stayed at the hotel, the day we would leave, I would get to play before we leave. We would checkout around 11, and after breakfast, my mom would let us kill a couple hours there.

I was born 1978. I remember when it was just Magic Kingdom and Epcot. I remember the original MGM, where it just had the Animation Studio, Backlot Tour, Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones, Great moments in TV (where you got to play along, Frozen is there now), and the Sound effects with Chevy Chase. I can't remember if Muppets 3d was an opening day attraction. I do remember having to wait up to an hour to get into Muppets.

I also remember the American Adventure, Hall of Presidents, Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, and Country Bear Jamboree having every seat full. "Move all the way to the left. If you see an empty seat, you didn't move far enough. We need to make room for everyone in the theater."

I remember when the parks would close at 6pm...and you still got every ride in.

I really do miss Disney World of the 80's. There was absolutely no planning involved. We would wake up, decide which park to do, and then just pick a starting point and go from there. The only planning for dinner was the Hoop Doo Dee Revue (spelling?). Otherwise, it was first come first serve. Not deciding 6 months out.

Does anyone else remember the astronauts outside space mountain?

671b6de22da6e1b74464aed12d15b8c7-1 (resized).jpg671b6de22da6e1b74464aed12d15b8c7-1 (resized).jpg

#1389 2 years ago

For memories sake…really wish Disney World would bring this back.

#1396 2 years ago

I ordered my 50th anniversary magic band today for my January trip/races.

#1400 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Remind me to discuss your unhealthy Disney obsession when we meet...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1 month later
#1413 2 years ago

Anyone see the following news???

https://wdwnt.com/2021/10/breaking-indoor-character-meet-and-greet-experiences-returning-to-walt-disney-world/

https://wdwnt.com/2021/10/breaking-indiana-jones-epic-stunt-spectacular-and-disney-movie-magic-returning-to-disneys-hollywood-studios/

This is AMAZING NEWS!!!!

Hopefully character dining fully returns. Maybe Fantasmic will be next.

I’m going in January for Dopey, but have extended the trip an extra day. Woman I’ve been seeing wants to join me, but at the end of the races, not the beginning where I’m kind of useless. Her adult daughter is coming too…who has never been to a Disney park before.

I’m hoping they quickly ramp up bringing the characters back. Would like to bring them to Chef Mickeys for breakfast. I won’t if we can’t get our pics with the characters.

I want to do 1900 Park Fare, which I always go to the night before the marathon to carb up. As well as having breakfast the day after the marathon. After doing that many miles, I like to pig out on the breakfast there. LOL.

#1415 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Do it for yourself. Don't drag me into this.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#1417 2 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I have 6 Oogie Boogie passes for 10.30.21 and my kids are not allowed to travel by their school. My understanding is the event is sold out. If you are interested in the passes let me know. I would rather deal with someone on here than Ebay or Stubhub.
Thanks,
Mike

Screw the school...bring your kids.

You are the parent, they are the teachers. You know what is best for them.

I lost my mom when I was 15. My favorite memories of her is bringing my whole family to Disney. Every Christmas was 6 of us (2 parents and 4 kids) all of us crammed into 1 hotel room on Disney. Just amazing memories.

#1419 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I can tell you as a teacher that this is not necessarily true...
There are many parents that are complete f**king idiots.

I was spoiled.

I had parents who knew what they were doing.

#1422 2 years ago

My definition of bad parents:

I’m down there from January 4 to January 13 this year.

If you’re in Disney with your school aged children, you’re a bad parent. The children just had 2 weeks off of school and with you there, I end up waiting in line longer.

#1430 2 years ago

Anyone here doing the Wine & Dine races in month?

#1434 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I see a potential real good time.

The pressure is totally on me to come through and make sure they have a blast.

Growing up, it was my family tradition to go every Christmas.

Hopefully this works out and it becomes a new yearly tradition.

I'm going to keep going for Dopey as long as I am physically capable. I'm only 43. I figure I have at least 10-15 years of being able to do the challenge.

#1437 2 years ago

I want to comment on something zr1990 said earlier……where did his posts go???

I see he is currently banned too……did I miss something……

Is he too much of a Disney fan for the disney thread…..if that’s the case, I’ll end up with a lifetime ban from Disney parks and races.

#1439 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

He started making somewhat political statements that went against someone's beliefs, I guess. So he's taking a nap for a bit.

He didn’t say one thing negative about anyone’s political beliefs.

Oh well……I guess it’s welcome to the new pinside, where talking about Disney trips in the Disney thread is now taboo.

#1441 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Insinuation is bad enough these days. Ridiculous.
But hey! About Disney...I was going to do a day trip there next month when we're down in Clearwater, but if I can't even walk up to get Dole Whip, a turkey leg, or a frozen banana, I'm out.

Not a huge fan of the dole whip.

I’ve never tried the turkey leg. Maybe I’ll do it this time.

Where’s the frozen banana?

Here’s the real question: Why would the beelze dare go to Disney without the Trekkie??????

#1447 2 years ago

Pricing is released for the lightning lanes.

Who here plans on using Genie plus and/or paying for the lightning lanes?

#1452 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Strollers should be banned at Disney! They're the worst!
I'm NOT talking about the metal contraptions that families use.
I'm talking about strollers - people who just stroll. They just spread their whole group out across the entire walking path and slowly stroll. Just looking around but somehow oblivious to everyone else in the park who are trying to get by.

Some people do that during the races. Very annoying. It’s like they don’t want anyone passing them.

Or during the race, when they see a photographer, they just stop. Can’t remember how many times I’ve heard cast members yell “don’t stop, keep moving!!!” It’s never the people in the marathons, it’s usually the 5k and 10k where that happens.

#1456 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

https://wdwnt.com/2021/10/breaking-pricing-for-genie-and-lightning-lane-individual-attractions-released-for-walt-disney-world/
Lightning Lane Individual Attractions – Varies (Average $7 – $15 Per Guest Per Attraction)
Genie+ – $15 Per Guest Per Day

IMO, they aren’t charging enough.

Genie plus should be $50.

And front of the line passes for select rides should be $75.

Need to have less people in those lines, and all the attraction wait times drop tremendously.

#1461 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I've heard the new "extra magic hours" that started is amazing. Walk right on most rides and the longest wait was 20 minutes for Peter Pan. This is the extended hours for Deluxe resort guests and DVC members only.
Instead of paying for Genie+, we are going to skip anything with long lines, but stay late and hit all that stuff after the park closes.

Make sure you check the dates. It isn’t everyday. And it’s only for Epcot and Magic Kingdom, I’d imagine MGM will eventually be added.

Me personally, I’m not paying the extra to stay in a deluxe room to get the benefit of 1 night for 2 hours at the magic kingdom. I just don’t see the benefit for Epcot. That park is easy to get done in 1 day.

#1467 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Oh, man, those are fighting words on the Disney forums
I've seen that exact argument play out many, many times in many, many separate threads on those boards.
I used to read those forums a lot, but never made an account or posted. Those forums can get downright nasty. Way more than pinside. Always seemed odd to me for Disney forums.
I love to talk about Disney parks, but I prefer to do that right here.
The other thing that always seems odd to me is the number of people on those forums who seem to really dislike kids. It's weird. I mean, if you don't like kids that's fine, but seriously, you might want to rethink your favorite vacation destination.

I crack up when I see parents say “I must bring my little Johnny to Disney. It’s a must!!!” It’s really funny when little Johnny is only 6 months old.

#1469 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

The lazy people on scooters are, in my experience, some of the most entitled, rude, unpleasant people in the park. After walking around all day, I finally got a seat waiting at blue bayou for our reservation. Someone dropped their sunglasses on the way into the restaurant, and I got up to give them to them as they hadn't noticed. On the 5 steps back from my good deed, I saw that an enormous woman had removed herself from her scooter seat and taken my seat on the bench. I couldn't believe it. This person who had been literally sitting all day stole my seat knowing full well I only left it for a second to help someone.
Time to ban scooters for everyone except people with legitimate mobility disabilities.

I’ve always wondered how the really big people get to Disney.

Years ago, the biggest shirt size they sold at the parks was XXL. Now it’s up to 5X they sell. Just crazy.

But if you look too, it’s so easy to eat like crap there. One can easily consume 4,000 calories a day.

I admit to hitting 4,000 in a day….but that’s the day of when I’m running the marathon! Not just walking around the park.

#1478 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

If you're walking around the parks all day, you're probably walking more than 10 miles. If think for most people it's a decent excuse to eat a little extra. At WDW this year, our first day at animal kingdom we hit 30,000 steps, and that was with the reduced hours. I ran the WDW marathon once and I can't imagine doing the parks after that. I needed a recovery day. I wonder how many daily miles you can get doing the marathon and a park?

Here’s how I do the dopey challenge:

Tuesday - fly in, go to Epcot. In room and asleep by 7:30pm.

Wednesday- wake up 2am, breakfast. Stretch. Then I walk around the resort to kill some time. Hit expo at 9am. Animal kingdom afterwards. Bed at 730pm.

Thursday- wake up 2am, breakfast, stretch, get on bus by 3am for 5K. MGM afterwards. Bed at 7:30pm.

Friday - wake up 2am, breakfast, stretch, get on bus by 3am for 10K. Magic kingdom afterwards. Bed at 7:30pm.

Saturday - wake up at 2am, breakfast, stretch, get on bus by 3am for half marathon. Hang around the resort for the day. Bed at 7:00pm.

Sunday - wake up at 1:30am, breakfast, stretch, get on bus by 2:30am for marathon. Go back to room, stretch, stretch, stretch, relax a little bit. Go to magic kingdom.

Monday - magic kingdom. Waking up normal time. Lol

Tuesday- MGM. Take the last flight home at night.

#1481 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

So, we did every single ride at all four parks with very few exceptions (the Aerosmith one at Hollywood Studios being the only significant miss).
Here were our favorites for each park:
Magic Kingdom:
1) Big Thunder (the olfactory sensation of this ride put me right back to being a kid…it was incredible since I hadn’t been to Disney in over 30 years).
2) Haunted House.
3) tie: Pirates and 7 Dwarfs
*notable comment, the Teekee Room was hysterical…I’m glad both it and the country bears were still there.
Hollywood Studios:
1) Twilight Zone / Tower of Terror
2) Rise of the Republic
3) Slink Dog
Animal Kingdom:
1) Safari
2) Everest
3) Dino Ride
Epcot
1) can’t remember what it was called, hoisted us into the air for a four video of planet earth film with fresh air and various smells. Was very cool.
2) the big Epcot ball
3) Frozen
*note on Epcot, it also had the only ride we did not enjoy the entire week. The one simulating the force of blasting off from earth by spinning you around really fast…gave us a head ache and sent us packing early that day.

As a complete disney nerd, I need to chime in.

It’s called The Tiki Room. Thank good they brought back the original show. Under New Management was down right awful.

For Country Bear Jamboree, I wish they would bring back the Christmas Show.

The Epcot ride is called Soarin’.

The Epcot ball is called Spaceship Earth.

You haven’t been to Disney in over 30 years….I think I’d rather be water boarded than wait 30 years.

When I’m Epcot, did you stop at any of the Food & Wine booths?

Did you do The American Adventure?

#1484 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

The ride at Epcot that you did not enjoy is called Mission Space and is awful. When it first came out people were throwing up constantly so they had to come up with a less harsh version of the ride. They have orange and green now, green being the less motion sickness of the two, I think they don’t use the spinning on green. For us we just pretend the ride doesn’t exist, I did not care for it at all the last time I rode it maybe 14 years ago
Glad you had fun besides that ride!

You’re 100% correct. That is mission space.

IMO, mission space needs to removed. Horizons was 100x better than mission space. However. With the new restaurant, mission space isn’t going anywhere.

#1488 2 years ago

I don’t know how most of these people fit on the rides.

I had read a while ago, that the boats at its a small world had to be re-done, because the boats kept scraping the bottom and getting stuck from the excess weight.

They obviously aren’t getting on space mountain, splash mountain, Tron coaster, test track, mission space, soarin’, etc.

I feel bad for them being so big, but some self responsibly needs to be in place. I’m not advocating that we all have 6 packs. I’ll never have one, but the biggest shirt size Disney should be selling is XXL, not 5X.

When you see those people in the park, they are eating all the sugar crap Disney makes. It’s actually quite easy to eat healthy there….but you need to stay out of the candy shop.

What’s funny, as a kid, I always ate like crap. Now as an adult doing the races there, I keep it on the healthy side. After I run the marathon, it’s a free for all for 48 hours…I earned it. LOL

#1492 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Well at least we have common ground somewhere. I'd personally rate Horizons as closer to 1000x better, but that is just a matter of opinion. I've only ridden Mission Space once, and that was plenty. I've never felt a desire to ride it again. But I can't count how many times I rode Horizons. My sister and I used to ride it at the end of the night, and then beg the attendants as the ride closed for one last ride. They would let us back in one last time if there were still people loading. We wouldn't "choose" the return part and let the system just surprise us on the last ride.
EPCOT was always my favorite park. I love MK, but every time I was walking out of EPCOT, I felt inspired. Just the text in the doorway of Horizons proclaiming "If we can dream it, we can do it.". But that was a long time ago. Back even when Innoventions was something fun and interesting.
I'm not going to judge the current reconstruction until I can get back there. But I don't think they will ever get back the spirit they lost over the last few decades. I'm not saying it won't be good, but it won't have that special something they used to have.

Epcot of the 80’s and early 90’s will never ever return.

Look at future world east. Universe of Energy, Horizons, and World of Motion. For the most part, I would say they were more on the educational standpoint.

Today? Guardians, mission space and test track. 3 thrill rides.

At least when test track had first opened, it still had an educational aspect to it. If you ask me, the whole inside is boring now. The part where you get through the heat, cold and painting shop now is just “analyzing”. Makes absolutely no sense. Then the part when you test braking vs ABS brakes makes no sense either now.

I say bring back the original Imagination pavilion and original journey into your imagination ride. Land pavilion is fine. But I did like the Lion King show better than the new one there.

Living seas….not sure what they can possibly do.

Spaceship earth needs to be cleaned up a bit, but otherwise it’s still a great ride.

#1504 2 years ago

To add on to the big people at Disney. I go down for the races. It’s amazing that at 5am, you see mostly healthy people. Then in the parks later in the day, all the obese people.

What’s really cool with the races, I love wearing my dopey medal and having people congratulate me. It’s awesome.

#1506 2 years ago
B48249AB-5095-40F1-AD16-F31460024F54 (resized).jpegB48249AB-5095-40F1-AD16-F31460024F54 (resized).jpegC4B71009-8CD1-4FD2-B8A5-5B73A7733D56 (resized).jpegC4B71009-8CD1-4FD2-B8A5-5B73A7733D56 (resized).jpeg
#1513 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

That's ALMOST worth running for.

Nah.

017F42F2-A9B0-495E-AD3F-92656015A8C9 (resized).jpeg017F42F2-A9B0-495E-AD3F-92656015A8C9 (resized).jpeg20EF26CD-5036-43D4-A446-C2FBC7135A5C (resized).jpeg20EF26CD-5036-43D4-A446-C2FBC7135A5C (resized).jpeg57647AD7-948E-47EF-866F-1B3115BDEEFC (resized).jpeg57647AD7-948E-47EF-866F-1B3115BDEEFC (resized).jpeg5F63C4E2-280F-458A-ABB2-688BC69F0565 (resized).jpeg5F63C4E2-280F-458A-ABB2-688BC69F0565 (resized).jpeg6D0D8752-F224-46A8-835F-E9DA782FAD0C (resized).jpeg6D0D8752-F224-46A8-835F-E9DA782FAD0C (resized).jpegBF503195-4858-4D81-81EC-8C31F99C6C1C (resized).jpegBF503195-4858-4D81-81EC-8C31F99C6C1C (resized).jpeg
#1515 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I'll bet you can find a guy to 3D print you one on Etsy. Maybe modify that "26.2" to a ".262" to keep things honest.
Trekkie, sounds like you've got a bunch of them, are you ever tempted to throw them all on and wear them around the park? I bet you'd get some fun reactions.

Night of marathon, I wear all 6 to dinner. You can hear my walking with them on. It’s awesome to get the compliments.

Next day at park, I wore all 6 (2019). After about 20 minutes, you want to take them off cause of how heavy they are. But I got a ton of compliments, especially when people could see I could barely walk.

In 2020, I put 5 of them in a backpack, and just wore the dopey medal around my neck. Still got a lot of compliments with the 1 medal. I also had a “I did it!!!” Dopey shirt on. With the 5 medals in the backpack, it gets tiring wearing that on my back. I’ll take them out for pictures. But still tiring wearing it all day. I think it’s just from finishing the challenge.

The day after the marathon, I slept till 11am. I never sleep until 11am in Disney…ever. I’m always there when park opens, except for race or travel in days. I’m always there when park closes, except for early nights due to races or traveling out.

This year, I have people going with me. I’ll wear the dopey medal, the boyfriend of my girl’s daughter can carry the backpack all day. He’s 25 and young. It’s like “I’m paying for your trip…least you can do is carry this for a day or two.”

#1516 2 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Do I have to finish the race to get one? Lol
Those look awesome!

Race medals are given out to everyone, doesn’t matter if they finish or not.

Challenge medals are only given out for finishing.

This too:

86197CF4-E785-4CE1-BD54-20DE326E5584 (resized).jpeg86197CF4-E785-4CE1-BD54-20DE326E5584 (resized).jpeg
#1517 2 years ago
386AFF3F-2DA9-461D-BD29-6C4651CF420F (resized).jpeg386AFF3F-2DA9-461D-BD29-6C4651CF420F (resized).jpeg48B73D97-AE60-4864-9CA5-6CB023DDBF8A (resized).jpeg48B73D97-AE60-4864-9CA5-6CB023DDBF8A (resized).jpeg6C892380-68B0-4A75-A1A4-6B0693FC311B (resized).jpeg6C892380-68B0-4A75-A1A4-6B0693FC311B (resized).jpeg9C6AE2FB-E5FB-4423-92FC-505E23F5A52A (resized).jpeg9C6AE2FB-E5FB-4423-92FC-505E23F5A52A (resized).jpegB1964C32-3D71-4D4B-BB7F-A641A5F51483 (resized).jpegB1964C32-3D71-4D4B-BB7F-A641A5F51483 (resized).jpeg
#1518 2 years ago
744DF36E-5C6B-4A25-B85D-0D4F8A59115E (resized).jpeg744DF36E-5C6B-4A25-B85D-0D4F8A59115E (resized).jpeg782D3A1B-42F7-41CC-88CB-F080C70153BC (resized).jpeg782D3A1B-42F7-41CC-88CB-F080C70153BC (resized).jpeg846BF7B6-E5C6-4AB7-98C0-FADCB61DF697 (resized).jpeg846BF7B6-E5C6-4AB7-98C0-FADCB61DF697 (resized).jpeg99E81A0D-E77B-4ACE-BA10-C2E5598D1F9A (resized).jpeg99E81A0D-E77B-4ACE-BA10-C2E5598D1F9A (resized).jpeg
#1519 2 years ago

They sent me a new marathon medal due to the painting of it not being so good.

3CC757CA-EE77-4C20-9D5E-95854CC2BA62 (resized).jpeg3CC757CA-EE77-4C20-9D5E-95854CC2BA62 (resized).jpeg4847CF69-77B0-4D0C-A271-09938C2BA518 (resized).jpeg4847CF69-77B0-4D0C-A271-09938C2BA518 (resized).jpeg625C7FCB-338B-45C3-AEE0-1247174B0649 (resized).jpeg625C7FCB-338B-45C3-AEE0-1247174B0649 (resized).jpeg64A49494-D672-4A86-8D3F-8DC6D539E3D2 (resized).jpeg64A49494-D672-4A86-8D3F-8DC6D539E3D2 (resized).jpegBB258466-8123-4953-8F0E-C80B8427C02F (resized).jpegBB258466-8123-4953-8F0E-C80B8427C02F (resized).jpegC28F80A5-6D84-4350-A68B-82DDFC9A38E0 (resized).jpegC28F80A5-6D84-4350-A68B-82DDFC9A38E0 (resized).jpegC36C6219-EDB1-4D53-B0A6-6D5CBD5C3E8B (resized).jpegC36C6219-EDB1-4D53-B0A6-6D5CBD5C3E8B (resized).jpeg
#1520 2 years ago

In 2019, when I did the dopey challenge, it was the first race of any kind I ever tried. The farthest I got in my training was only 20 miles and over the allotted time Disney gives you.

Morning of 5k, I’m looking at the people. I see a bunch of 5 year olds and people who were 400 pounds. I figured if they can do it, I can do it.

Morning of 10k, I’m looking at the people. I see a bunch of 10 year olds and not as many heavy people as day before. But still a lot of people out of shape. I figured if they can do it, I can do it.

Morning of half marathon, I’m looking at the people. See a few teenagers and a lot less heavy people. Was a little nervous. But said to myself I will do it.

Morning of marathon, I wake up and my legs are SORE. I did an hour of stretching in my room alone, let alone the stretching I did in the corrals. But in the corral, I’m looking at the people….and I’m the biggest one there, outside of a couple people….I’m totally like “uh oh….how am I going to do this…”. Just said to myself to run my race and keep my pace.

By mile 6, I was pacing 6 hours. Hit mile 9 and my legs died out on me. At mile 12, I could see the balloon ladies were less than half a mile behind me. Get to mile 15 and I told myself it’s now or never to make up some ground. I put my Rocky playlist on and just gutted out the next 3 miles. I get into the ESPN area at mile 18 and I’m just dead at this point and feet are blistering up. I saw I had 2 hours of allowed time left to go 8 miles. Just put my head down and kept telling myself that I can do this. The couple miles from ESPN to MGM were just a killer. Hitting MGM gave me some energy. Hitting the boardwalk have me a nice boost with the amount of people cheering. Hit mile 25 and I’m saying to myself “almost there.”

At this point, my phone is blowing up cause no one had heard from me. I get to mile 26 and start sending out photos of it (see attached).

Cross the finish line and it was the most incredible feeling in the world. About an hour after the race, my brother asks me if I will ever do this again. I told him F no!!!! One and done.

A week later, I can finally move again. I decided right then and there to do it again. 2020 was difficult due to having foot surgery over the summer. Only had 11 weeks of training.

007F3C13-0771-41AA-AD72-CF708E1E95D4 (resized).jpeg007F3C13-0771-41AA-AD72-CF708E1E95D4 (resized).jpeg
#1521 2 years ago
0A20363D-5DC3-49D5-8ED1-3B6E1D6FFE99 (resized).jpeg0A20363D-5DC3-49D5-8ED1-3B6E1D6FFE99 (resized).jpeg0FFDF693-04A8-4D23-9D0C-95B50AE8A363 (resized).jpeg0FFDF693-04A8-4D23-9D0C-95B50AE8A363 (resized).jpeg221E652B-8C5D-43EF-8303-D9FEB7805255 (resized).jpeg221E652B-8C5D-43EF-8303-D9FEB7805255 (resized).jpeg25336A1E-7BA8-4C78-993D-44B4478AC8CD (resized).jpeg25336A1E-7BA8-4C78-993D-44B4478AC8CD (resized).jpeg283A654F-CA13-4094-B194-8164214CA8AB (resized).jpeg283A654F-CA13-4094-B194-8164214CA8AB (resized).jpeg3CFF6BC6-82CB-407B-8D21-86D5E575BC4F (resized).jpeg3CFF6BC6-82CB-407B-8D21-86D5E575BC4F (resized).jpeg41B063EB-80EA-4053-A54E-AD5FA3C9FCD0 (resized).jpeg41B063EB-80EA-4053-A54E-AD5FA3C9FCD0 (resized).jpeg51CB6FE9-EEFD-49CE-91E5-DD49E5BD7A9B (resized).jpeg51CB6FE9-EEFD-49CE-91E5-DD49E5BD7A9B (resized).jpeg5AEF22F3-F9DF-450F-99FB-473E30777256 (resized).jpeg5AEF22F3-F9DF-450F-99FB-473E30777256 (resized).jpeg5D15E44D-AD74-46CC-88CB-518A703FFFCD (resized).jpeg5D15E44D-AD74-46CC-88CB-518A703FFFCD (resized).jpeg5F8FABF6-E442-40B4-BC5E-5B8383809A7E (resized).jpeg5F8FABF6-E442-40B4-BC5E-5B8383809A7E (resized).jpeg68D39BD0-0E75-46DD-9B85-709713F97E88 (resized).jpeg68D39BD0-0E75-46DD-9B85-709713F97E88 (resized).jpeg6AAECB4B-7207-42E4-9E5B-36E8E06C3BEE (resized).jpeg6AAECB4B-7207-42E4-9E5B-36E8E06C3BEE (resized).jpeg8E30EAC9-6629-4C2F-B264-23AB160EFE8A (resized).jpeg8E30EAC9-6629-4C2F-B264-23AB160EFE8A (resized).jpeg9C8C2FE1-2761-4507-AC1E-DF58FB946C75 (resized).jpeg9C8C2FE1-2761-4507-AC1E-DF58FB946C75 (resized).jpeg9D86469B-8C99-48C0-8FE5-1F8B4C02DC4C (resized).jpeg9D86469B-8C99-48C0-8FE5-1F8B4C02DC4C (resized).jpeg9E8F6841-6DAF-4480-8A60-EAC88A1B1026 (resized).jpeg9E8F6841-6DAF-4480-8A60-EAC88A1B1026 (resized).jpeg9ED3FAC4-D004-4BE2-933D-1C7261F3DAC1 (resized).jpeg9ED3FAC4-D004-4BE2-933D-1C7261F3DAC1 (resized).jpegAB25C890-65D0-4D46-B84A-525CD78A4D1C (resized).jpegAB25C890-65D0-4D46-B84A-525CD78A4D1C (resized).jpegBBED5ACE-082E-4E39-A04C-F4DA2E799B79 (resized).jpegBBED5ACE-082E-4E39-A04C-F4DA2E799B79 (resized).jpegC8877D4E-DD69-40FC-B551-6A27474B8E1C (resized).jpegC8877D4E-DD69-40FC-B551-6A27474B8E1C (resized).jpegCA60E57A-F21E-4F4E-A44B-1778993D6CB5 (resized).jpegCA60E57A-F21E-4F4E-A44B-1778993D6CB5 (resized).jpegD4712BB4-C376-41A2-9F39-C684AA032000 (resized).jpegD4712BB4-C376-41A2-9F39-C684AA032000 (resized).jpegDBD7E539-897D-46DD-9F03-70C44515C59F (resized).jpegDBD7E539-897D-46DD-9F03-70C44515C59F (resized).jpegE0043636-B52D-4A4C-8EEC-A0AFD84016C5 (resized).jpegE0043636-B52D-4A4C-8EEC-A0AFD84016C5 (resized).jpegEB60989E-1F85-4166-AAC2-6816E2EEB4B8 (resized).jpegEB60989E-1F85-4166-AAC2-6816E2EEB4B8 (resized).jpeg
#1524 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Trekkie1978, All of those medals are really cool! Congrats!

Disney medals are the best!!!

I’m not a serious runner, meaning, I suck at it. But that’s why I do it. Because it’s challenging. I prefer the Disney races. I find them to be “easier.”

Marathon starts at Epcot, first 3 miles are there. Then you head to transportation center, then magic kingdom. Then animal kingdom…the run there is hard. It’s about 5 miles of street running AND we run past the garbage area which smells bad. Get through animal kingdom, then make the way to MGM, boardwalk and Epcot. I like how it’s broken up. It’s just “let me get here.” “Now let me get here.” Instead of looking at doing 26 miles, it’s “3 miles to get to here, 3 miles to get there, etc”

#1525 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Exactly!
I want to do one of these, maybe just the 5k. Is it worth it overall?

Do the 5k, 10k and half marathon.

I would not go down just for the 5K.

#1528 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Are you really "running a marathon" if you have time to stop to take all those pictures?

I stop and get pictures with characters on the course too.

If I were a little faster, I’d have time to stop and hop a ride or 2.

Some people will stop in Epcot and grab a German pretzel or beer, a margarita and they’ll cross the finish line with it.

#1529 2 years ago

From 2020 marathon. 15 mile marker.

A175CA8F-AA9A-43FE-A7EA-FFF49651ED67 (resized).jpegA175CA8F-AA9A-43FE-A7EA-FFF49651ED67 (resized).jpeg

#1531 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Is this a new policy? I never saw that myself.
Here's a few of mine from another lifetime before kids.
[quoted image]

I have no idea if it’s new or not.

But they hand you the race medals when they drop you off at the finish line.

Me personally, I wouldn’t accept it if I got swept.

In their running guide, it says you get all the medals weather you finish or not, but only the challenge medals for completing the challenge.

#1533 2 years ago

Aerosmith is 65 minute wait.

They really need to get those 2 other lands built ASAP to help alleviate the lines in MGM.

Indiana Jones stunt show will help a little bit. Just not enough high capacity rides in the park. They need a haunted mansion style ride that can handle 3,000 guests an hour.

Think how the park was originally designed. The backstage tour was hours long and ate up lots of people. Animation tour ate up lots of people. Great movie ride (I really miss it) ate up lots of people too.

Just looking at these wait times, I have a feeling I’ll end up purchasing lightening lane tickets for ride of resistance. Can’t lose 2.5 hours standing in line for any ride….4 people, $15 each….ugh.

1201EEB8-C80A-408D-98CF-5E871002ED0A (resized).jpeg1201EEB8-C80A-408D-98CF-5E871002ED0A (resized).jpeg
#1538 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

What 2 other lands?

Rumor is Monters Inc Land and another future land.

It will go from Toy Story Land to Sunset Blvd.

Personally, I think they should do an Indiana Jones Land back there too.

#1541 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Ouch, those wait times look rough, and on a day rated “1” for crowds on touringplans! Makes me wonder if they’re short staffed or intentionally throttling ride capacity to cut costs? If not I’m hosed at Thanksgiving when we’ll be at an 8 or 9 for crowds! Guess there are some Lightning Passes in my future as well.

My thoughts, is covid has collapsed in Florida. Therefore, parents have extended their trip a day or 2 and took kids out of school due to Columbus Day.

Magic Kingdom is finally booked for Christmas as of today.

January 2-7, Hollywood studios is booked everyday. This says to me, parents are taking kids out of school to not deal with the Christmas crowds.

Today, Oct 12, magic kingdom and MGM are booked. Everything is available tomorrow. I can’t wait to see what the lines will look like on an available day.

#1543 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Damn, I"ll be there in 2 weeks too.

I mean taking kids out of school around the breaks. I think you’ll be fine.

#1545 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

We'll see. We are only hitting EPCOT and Islands of Adventure this time as we'll be back in January again. We're not doing Genie+ this time to test it without it.

You won't need Genie+ for Epcot.

Real question: Sit down dining in Epcot or doing the Food & Wine Festival booths?

#1548 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Food and wine is basically year round now. Disney figured out that $8-$15 tiny plates are a gold mine. It gets old if you are a local. If you really want tapas, head to spice road table. Really a hidden gem of Epcot.

Where is spice road table in Epcot?

#1551 2 years ago

That place!!!! I had reservations there for April 2020…..obviously they got canceled.

#1554 2 years ago

Anyone here try the new Japanese restaurant (it hasn't re-opened yet).

I tried it once....very expensive....but the food was AMAZING.

If it's open in January, I'm definitely not taking all 4 of us there.

#1555 2 years ago

MGM was not fully booked today. I'm looking at the wait time for the rides.

I'm going to have to use the Genie+ in January.

I have 1 day booked for just myself and the park is fully booked. It's day of my 5k. Probably get there by 8am. Must leave by 5pm, this way I can grab my dinner and get to bed.

Then a few days later, with 4 of us there, we can get there at open and stay till close. But I can't have us stand in line the whole day. I'll have to bite the bullet and get Genie+.

8 rides there is not enough to thin out the wait times. Hopefully with the new universal park coming, it'll force Disney to massively expand the parks. The room is there for MGM. Hopefully they can fit another ride in Magic Kingdom. Personally, I wish they would get rid of the kids area. Rides like Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Small World, and Pirates are perfect for kids AND adults. They need to get at least 2, if not 3 rides back in that area for the whole family.

Animal Kingdom needs Dino Land to be re-done ASAP. Keep the one ride and add at least another one. Pandora needs one more ride.

Epcot needs a ride or show in Italy and Germany. China should be converted to a sit down theater, if possible. Imagination should be made back to original.

Hollywood needs to add a Pixar Land, with an Incredibles ride (think spider-man at universal). Bring the cars ride from California Park over here. Monsters Inc ride like haunted mansion. Build an Indiana Jones land. Indoor coaster themed to Temple of Doom. Have fire and stuff for it. And have something along the lines of rise of resistance, where we get several animatronics of Indiana Jones. Something like this would pretty much complete the park.

#1557 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

I hope you have a lot of patience!
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"15d16587164e3c0156e95a98e7ddc4de6b0712bf-1634167801-1800"};
//]]>

I do too!!!! Remember, this is right after dopey. When I’m the most tired I ever will be during the year.

At least I’ll have a lot to talk about standing in line with them. How you feel on mile 2, is so much different than 6, which is so much different than 8, etc. plus, all the interesting people you meet on the course. When I say interesting, I don’t mean interesting people like at pinball shows. For instance, my first marathon there in 2019, around mile 8 I was talking to a 60 year old woman who is diabetic and has to run with a bag to control her insulin. In 2018, she passed out at mile 24!!! Such heartbreak.

There’s just soooooo much to talk about after the races.

In a long line, they’ll just need to hear my talk. Hahaha.

I’m wondering what their reactions will be when they hear “congrats” over and over and over and over and over.

#1559 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Man, when I go to Disney I hit the parks pretty hard, commando style. Or so I thought.
You - you're at another level my friend. The dopey challenge and hitting the parks all at the same time.

Only day I skip parks is Saturday after the half. That’s only cause I want to rest up for the marathon. I’ll just go look at hotels there. Something to do without a lot of walking.

After first marathon, I was up at 6am. 2nd one wore me out bad….was up 11am next day….it was 6am, and I said 5 more minutes…..I would’ve never survived the day if I didn’t stay in bed.

Let’s see if they can keep up with me after the dopey. I say they can’t.

For the other race weekends, I pretty much stay till park close. Then hurry back to hotel for a quick sleep before the race.

Not gonna lie, I am worn out after these trips. But it’s soooooo worth it.

#1562 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Did Flight of Passage, absolutely loved it. The problem is that 45 inch requirement, our smallest companion can’t get on the 45 inch rides. I didn’t understand why that ride was 45 inches honestly…42 should be more than fine.
Any thoughts on those shoes that add an extra inch? We are going back next year and will really need it.

Yep, worst ride ever. I’m sure it must have its fans, but DAMN!!!

I loved that room. They should never change. I also enjoy the wheel of progress funny enough.

Carousel of progress.

#1566 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

How can you guys hate Mission Space? You hit 2.5gs for like a minute. Real astronauts hit 3g, although for 8 min.
It's my favorite at EPCOT. Although one year I did it 3 times which was a mistake.
After Mission Space, I go on Test Track and an bored.

Mission Space is a letdown, because it’s not even the best space ride Disney has.

Space mountain is far superior.

Spaceship earth is far superior….I know it’s technically not a space ride, but it does eventually get there.

Star tours is far superior.

Rise of resistance is far superior.

Millennium falcon is far superior.

Horizons was far superior.

Guardians isn’t open yet, but I’m gonna say it’s far superior.

IMO, I think they would’ve been better off doing something more along the lines of Star Tours. It would get the hourly capacity up and give the riders some more reasons to see it again.

#1568 2 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

World of motion was better....

I thought the original test track was an upgrade over World of motion.

World of motion is better than the current test track.

#1583 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

You're right. Most of our friends just want to just go on rides that go fast and could care less about anything else. They go on Space Mountain, then waste half an hour walking to Thunder Mountain, then afterwards decide to walk again over to Space Mountain. Then complain about the heat and the walking. They hate shows, parades, fireworks, relaxation. They go to EPCOT food and wine festival to get drunk and post selfies on Facebook.
Me and my wife are "Disney People" to the core and I think we do the parks differently. It seems like we are a dying breed though.

Country Bears, Carousel of Progress, Small World, Haunted Mansion, People Mover, Hall of Presidents is what Disney is all about.

When I see rides like space mountain with 3 hour waits, I just go to the other rides that represent more of why I’m there.

If I want roller coasters, I can go to my local Six Flags or do a quick Universal Orlando trip.

When I’m there in January, I’m not going to focus on hitting as many rides as possible, but rather the experience of being there. If the daughter wants her pic with Cinderella, then we will wait in line. I’m not going to run them from one side of the park to the other side, then back. Nope. Let’s start here and just work our way around to the other side.

#1593 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

The minimum height is part of the design requirements for the safety restraints of that attraction. While there is always a factor of safety in any engineering design, not meeting the minimum body size requirements means that a failure to abide by them could result in your child could becoming dislodged from the ride vehicle and sustaining an injury. That’s why they say better safe than sorry.

+1

Your kid is only going to grow.

#1594 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

These are the people who will never know the fun of an afternoon spent monorail hotel hopping. My family does seem to get stuck as soon as we hit the Tambu lounge at the Polynesian. So many back scratchers to show for it lol

That's the plan for me after the half marathon. Everything will still be decorated for Christmas.

I really want to bring the new girl around to a couple hotels to look at them (specifically the Grand Floridian) and see how they're decorated.

#1596 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Probably young people. I mean, I have never been able to go on anything that just goes around and around, for example, Mad Tea Party would literally kill me, and that's not exaggerating. I always loved the roller coasters, but now its a no-go for me. The last time I rode Space Mountain a few years ago I came off the ride and laid down on the concrete floor right outside the exit by the Starcade (oh wait, Starcade is gone, I mean the store), and I had to lay there with my eyes closed for about 10 minutes before I could stand up. Legs were shaking for a bit after that too.
Its pretty pathetic, but that's the way it is. That's fine, I'm always good for Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, and all the other stuff.
One time we were there on a fairly hot day and I sat on the bench while everyone took a ride on Thunder Mountain. I was tired from walking and it was hot, so I took a nice snooze on the bench. When the family came off the ride and woke me up, they said a bunch of people were laughing at me because I was snoring and taking pictures. I was like, hey, I am here to entertain, fine by me.
Getting old is not for the weak.

That’s why it’s so important as we age, to eat healthy and exercise.

Still boggles my mind how some of the people are able to walk around all day. I’m convinced they do more walking on their Disney trip than they do the other 360 days of the year combined. I think you know what kind of people I’m hinting at…

#1599 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I can't believe their heart can keep going all day. I mean, they must be a hell of a lot of pain carrying all that weight - waddling down main street eating cotton candy.
I watch the old Disneyworld archive clips and you rarely see overweight people walking around the park.

Look at the way people were dressed back then. Sorry, but some people just dress like slobs walking through the park. On a side note, at church, I see guys wearing gym shorts. Guys shouldn’t wear any shirts at church. I wear nice shoes, nice jeans and a nice shirt. In Disney. Khaki shorts, sneakers, and a Disney shirt.

#1601 2 years ago

I rode it last week. It's a lot of fun and the whole area surrounding it is very well themed, with some cool new food options. It's a trackless ride similar to Rise of the Resistance or Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, but in my opinion both of those are better. Neither of them are at Epcot, though! Like someone mentioned, you've gotta do the 7am boarding group thing to get to ride it.
(And I know this is a Disney parks thread, but for me the highlight of my week was getting to go back to Halloween Horror Nights for its 30th.)

Does the ride get booked for the day?

#1607 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Port Orleans is my favorite resort. Odd since I am from New Orleans. I think it’s simply the Louis Armstrong in the lobby.
If they made a Port Orleans DVC I would buy anothef 300 point contract immediately.
I play jazz piano and actually bought the exact model Yamaha player piano as the one in the lobby because it has such strong memories for us!

French quarter or riverside?

I’ve stayed at French quarter twice. I liked it.

#1614 2 years ago

I do hope that Disney doesn't fall down the Universal trap of recycling the same ride over and over with a different IP ("Remember Spider-Man? It's like that, but with Transformers!"). Don't get me wrong, the technology is incredible and I feel like they may have reached a pinnacle with Runaway Railway, but they need to put their creative juices flowing towards not letting everything start to feel too samey.
Based on what tiny snippets they've let loose about Guardians so far, I don't think they've lost their way just yet.

Is guardians going to be like the Harry Potter coaster that has the dragon?

That’s an awesome ride…not from a pure thrill standpoint like Hulk coaster.

#1624 2 years ago

Here's my January itinerary. As always, any thoughts are welcome.

Jan. 4 - Fly in. Epcot (tuesday)
Jan 5 - Run Disney Expo. Animal Kingdom
Jan 6 - 5K MGM
Jan 7 - 10K MGM
Jan 8 - Half Marathon Lounge around hotel Girlfriend arrives (saturday)
Jan 9 - Marathon Magic Kingdom...not till around 4pm the earliest. Daughter & boyfriend arrive
Jan 10 - Magic Kingdom
Jan 11 - MGM
Jan 12 - Epcot
Jan 13 - Animal Kingdom Fly out

Note: Jan 4 - Jan 7, I leave the parks at 5pm. And in bed by 7:30pm.

#1634 2 years ago

Spas are still closed at Disney World.

Yuck.

Wanted to get a massage after doing dopey. A full body massage that only focuses on the legs.

#1640 2 years ago

How many rooms does it have?

Don’t forget. It’s not just a hotel. It’s a 48 hour experience.

#1645 2 years ago
Quoted from flipperstick:

I am upset with them taking away the free (Fast Pass) option to now charge through the new (Genie+) and additional (Lightning Lanes).
Disney Genie+: $15 per ticket per day.
A La Carte Separate Lightning Lane Access: $7 per ticket per day PER ride. Yes, this is the price for just one ride
https://thepointsguy.com/news/disney-genie-paid-fastpass/
How do you all feel?

They did it to lower the overall lines, as well as make more money in the process.

#1650 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

They gave the bullshit at the media launch to the effect of "to make everyone's experience much more valuable and magical", or something like that.
What was wrong with fast pass? Oh yeah - it was free.

Fast pass created long lines and a crowded experience.

#1657 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

It had MANY downsides. But lots of upsides too. Same for fast pass+. And, I'm sure, genie+ and lightning Lane (haven't used them yet). And whatever system comes after that.

I have the perfect fix for long lines: More rides.

Hotel capacity (on and off Disney) has far outstripped ride capacity in the parks. Until ride capacity catches up, lines will always be a problem.

Easiest way to fix it: Add more rides and build a 5th park.

Me personally, I can't wait for Epic Universe to open up. I truly believe it will put a dent into the amount of people at Disney.

#1661 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Is Magic Kingdom the most popular park? Build a second one with some of the best rides found at the parks outside of the U.S.

Disneyland in Paris has the best space mountain. It has star tours, haunted mansion, pirates of Caribbean, small world, big thunder. Been 21 years since I was there, trying to remember as much as I can. They have 2 parks there, but second one was completed after had visited.

#1671 2 years ago
Quoted from Krakatoa:

Went to Hollywood Studios yesterday, purchased tix a few weeks back thinking a Tuesday in October should be a slower day. Lol. Then Disney announced it will be the First day for Genie +. Place was mobbed. We are down here for HHN and staying at Universal, so no extra morning half hour for us.
Genie+ doesn’t include Rise of the Resistance or Mickey’s Runaway Train ride. So if we wanted LL access to all rides it would have cost an extra $37 per person. We did end up paying the $15 for Rise because I just couldn’t stand in a 110 minute queue. wouldn’t do it again, an extra $15 / pp to skip a line for a ride one time is just a bit much.
On a side note, at IOA we’ve ridden VelociCoaster 3 times and the wait hasn’t been more than 25 mins , even though the posted wait times are always over 45 mins.
HHN tonight and tomorrow. Time to go get our scare on.

How long did it take for you to get on Rise of Resistance with the LL?

#1676 2 years ago
Quoted from Krakatoa:

About 15 minutes

For $15, I would say it’s worth it.

I’m looking at the lines today in Disney. Rise of Resistance is sold out. Genie+ based on ride times at 10am is kind of a waste. If I have similar wait times in January, then I’ll just purchase arise of Resistance and that’s it.

#1678 2 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

This is where i'm hoping they start adding benefits of on site stays. The on site deluxe hotels are insanely priced now. The polynesian is about $700/night now for a standard room. They should give a couple of Lightning Lane passes per day at that cost. I say that as a DVC owner though, as I'd never pay $700/night for that room

You get extra 2 hours on select evenings.

#1681 2 years ago

I totally agree with you.

For deluxe, they should have an extra 3 hours in magic kingdom and Disney studios everyday.

#1684 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That would have me booking there for certain.

I don’t see any benefit to deluxe hotels. It’s just entirely too much to stay there.

I’m down there for 10 days in January. I’m not paying $700 per night just to sleep in a room. I’m staying at the tower at Coronado Springs. The rooms there are gorgeous and only $300/night.

Note: I’m sitting in eye doctor waiting room. Beauty and beast song from the live action movie is on…..no where near as good as the 1991 version. Sigh.

#1686 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Book at a Universal deluxe resort where you get unlimited fast pass from the day you check in through the day you check out.
Money talks. It is all that Disney will listen to especially since Bob Chapek took over right at the beginning of the pandemic. If they start to lose bookings and survey results indicate that is why, they will change their policies. Good article on Chapek and the current prospectus of Disney: https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/10/17/is-disneys-bob-chapek-ceo-of-the-year-for-2021/

The new tower is great. I also love the southwest theming in the section towards the back of the resort. It's a wonderful resort,and one of the better deals on Disney Property. It is the only one that has a gym, and jogging around the grounds (the resort is huge) is a real pleasure in the morning (if you like jogging that is). Hot tip, if you get there late like I did once before I moved down here - there is no place to get anything to eat late into the evening. You'll have to order delivery from Dominos or go to another resort.

I’ll be doing plenty of jogging doing the Dopey Challenge. No late night dining is fine….I’ll be in bed by 7:30pm the first 5 nights.

#1697 2 years ago

Funny Disney story. When my brother first met his ex-wife, she had a 5 day disney trip planned with her friends.

On the 4th day, she came home early, due to getting into a major fight with her friends.

I told my brother that this is a huge red flag, because how does anyone get into that kind of argument with friends at the happiest place on earth.

They were divorced after 6 years of marriage.

#1705 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

The funny thing is, as someone who goes to Disney all the time, those are the experiences I get most excited about

I love seeing the backstage areas in the races.

For those who don't know, Disney does have a lot of garbage trucks and a garbage area on site, they also do the sewer there too....and it SMELLS.

When I run by it, it's actually where my times are the fastest...trying to get away as quick as possible.

Here's an article on the area: https://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20160407/31864/what-happens-after-you-go-bathroom-walt-disney-world-pretty-amazing

My first marathon there, as I'm coming up to it, all I could think of is "what the f--- is that smell???" Then when I saw the place, I realized what it was.

I will admit. I naturally assumed Disney used the local sewer system. Never knew they had a self contained one until I ran by it. It's on Bear Island Road, a little south of the golf courses.

#1712 2 years ago

Test track when it broke.

At the time, was only 2 of us in the park. I had the other 5 tickets in my pocket. They scanned all 7, so when everyone finally arrived, we were all able to fast pass the ride.

5CC617B3-7670-4353-930D-14341921C24B (resized).jpeg5CC617B3-7670-4353-930D-14341921C24B (resized).jpeg8D72A0D1-F02A-4428-82C6-4854D383E333 (resized).jpeg8D72A0D1-F02A-4428-82C6-4854D383E333 (resized).jpegEF633AB7-7AB2-4C11-AF20-589B02D4011B (resized).jpegEF633AB7-7AB2-4C11-AF20-589B02D4011B (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1719 2 years ago

I think its just Disney.

I had heard that Universal doesn't require masks anywhere...if anyone can confirm, that would be appreciated.

#1723 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I forgot my comments about the scooters.
Abuse of the motorized cars just keeps getting worse. When I see people my age on scoters because they are overweight and don't want to walk and get exercise, it boils my blood. There were whole "scoter gangs" rampaging around the parks. And to top if off? In Epcot - their they are drinking away while they are trying to drive. It's a fucking nuisance and I know Disney doesn't do anything because it's $, but at some point it has to be addressed. We had to laugh as the scooter gang all got in line to get the big red and blue doughnuts for sale at the EPCPOT quick serve stations.
The best is when we see parents younger than us, with kids in two that look like they are in middle school - while mom and dad are drinking on their scoter - what type of message does that send to their kids? It's literally right out of Wall-E.

OMG!!!! As I’m reading your post, I’m thinking this is Wall-E. LOL

I was talking to one of my closest friends last night. Telling her it’s so hard to buy an XL shirt there now, cause of all the 3X, 4X and 5X shirts they carry.

I told her how it’s so easy to eat nothing but pure crap while down there, but at the same time, it’s so easy to eat healthy there too.

Me personally, I don’t know how people eat like crap down there. I can handle a cheat meal…but not everyday for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and dessert.

#1733 2 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

Just got back from WDW . We had 7 in our groupe . The most important person was the 20 year old that knew the technology ! From making the flight tickets on our phones to putting all the info into our MagicBands for 3 different parks ( At 68 I am tech. challenged ) . The secound was my son who is Downs Syn. and was made a VIP . That gave us the ability for all 7 of us to use the Lightining lanes which saved us almost 1 hour per ride . And we did have (1 ) that pre rented a scooter ( that was fast ) - and with out that scooter she never could have gotten around ! A tip on parking = if you have a handy-cap permit parking was only $25 instead of $45 . All had a great time and even went to the Boo Bash , I walked so far I had blisters on the bottom of my feet ! In the end never under estamate the power of Technology !

How did you get blisters? Did you wear sneakers?

#1736 2 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

Yes I did and if I had it to do over I would have worn 2 pair of socks !

Are you wearing cotton socks?

#1739 2 years ago

Use Body Gluide too.

#1751 2 years ago

What’s with the ponchos???

I ran in the Star Wars 2019 5K in the rain.

#1754 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

We usually go in winter. Being wet and cold, no bueno!!

I won’t do the River rapids ride in Animal Kingdom…I don’t want to be soaked.

I don’t consider splash mountain a ride where you get wet.

#1757 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

You really don't get wet on either of those rides. The ponchos are for the short rain bursts they get down there.
If you want to get wet on rides, go over to Universal. They are brutal.

You don’t get wet on River Rapids??? It looks just like all the other ones where you get soaked.

#1768 2 years ago

I knew about the wave machine back in the 80’s when I was young. My mom told me about it.

The other thing my mom taught me back in 1984, when I was 6, was to not go into the lakes there, because there all alligators in the water.

Still boggles the mind that the family let their child wade in the water like that. Such an easy tragedy to avoid.

1 week later
#1804 2 years ago

7 more weeks and I’ll be halfway through the Dopey Challenge.

#1810 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I found a picture of an actual Disney shipping employee. Explains a lot... [quoted image]

Might by some infringement laws broken…those guys were working at Universal Florida……

BUT, they were laid off a couple years ago.

4 weeks later
#1818 2 years ago

How do I add genie plus to my ticket?

I don’t want it for everyday I’m there, just certain days.

#1823 2 years ago

I fly in January 4th.

I have a feeling with the latest surge of covid, that I'll have the parks pretty much empty to the other runners and me. Which, would be nice. I really don't want to pay for the rides unless I have too in order to save time. Remember, I do leave the parks at 5pm to get dinner and get back to my room to get to bed Plus, I arrive late with the races.

Friday, the 7th, I am going to MGM. 10K is that morning. I'll be done with race around 7am. By time I get back to my room, it's 8am the earliest. Then I still need to get cleaned up and head over to park. 9:30 the earliest, maybe closer to 10 I'll be walking in. 5pm, I am head to dinner.

7 hour day with lines, I have to use Genie+.

#1826 2 years ago

I have 4 of us going after my races. I plan on using it for Magic Kingdom and MGM. I will pay for Rise of Resistance. I will pay for Avatar.

Time is money to me. I'm not standing in line for several hours after doing the Dopey Challenge. I'm probably spending close to 7k for all of us to go. What do I care about $60 to get on any of these rides to bypass a couple hour wait.

If I can't afford to bypass lines, then I can't afford this trip.

#1836 2 years ago

For anyone considering paying for the VIP GUIDE:
Just got back from DW a few days ago. It was the first time we took the 7 hour VIP tour. There was 8 of us.
We did 15 rides and visited all four parks. The standby time for the 15 rides totaled 21 hours if we stood in the standby line for those rides. We also probably saved a few hours just traveling between parks as our guide just drove us from park to park in a van often parking within a few mins walk of the ride itself.
While it was great to be able to walk onto any ride with very short wait, we are still undecided whether it was worth the cost.

What is the cost?

#1840 2 years ago

We spent 4 days at WDW. So we experienced all the pre ride stuff on all the rides. We did the tour on our last day to be able to throughly enjoy not waiting in lines plus we had tired feet by then.
We pretty much cut to the front of the line everytime.

Tired feet?

I’m running the dopey and doing the parks for 10 days.

#1842 2 years ago

I would be curious to hear how many steps you take per day at the park on non running days.

Tuesday when I fly in, I go straight to Epcot around 10am. I stay until 5pm. Go get dinner, bed at 7pm.

Wednesday, I wake up at 2am. Stretch, shower and eat. (Same routine until after races are over). Then at 3am, I walk around the resort for 4 hours. Come back to room, shower. Go to expo. Back to room, in animal kingdom by 11. Eating dinner there, in bed by 7pm.

Thursday, 5K run. MGM studios at 8:30. Eating dinner there. Bed by 7pm.

Friday, 10K run. Magic Kingdom at 8:30am. Eating dinner at Dolphin hotel. In bed by 7pm.

Saturday, half marathon. I hang around resort and walk around a little. In bed at 7pm.

Sunday, full marathon. In Magic Kingdom around 3pm. There till close.

Monday 8:30 till close at magic kingdom.

Tuesday, 8:30 till close at MGM.

Wednesday, 9:30 till close at Epcot.

Thursday, 8:30 till 5pm at animal kingdom. Back to resort to catch taxi to airport.

#1846 2 years ago

This time we averaged 35,000 steps a day. So about 15 to 16 miles per day.
Flat feet + Temps in the 80s with 80% humidity + 2 plus hour long wait times for certain rides = tired feet for me.

How did you get the miles that high?

The average is 10-11 per day?

I forgot about the heat spell they just had.

Long range forecast for me is looking GREAT!!!!

Marathon day is high of 75. I’ll take it. Considering the previous 2 we’re 80 with full sun and 85, full sun & 95% humidity.

#1851 2 years ago

Anyone there now? How are crowds?

January 4th can’t get here fast enough.

#1857 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

We are here, crowds are pretty crazy but we have fun doing the things that aren’t as crowded or hitting big attractions in the morning or at night.
We’ve seen some parts of the lines that we have never seen before that’s for sure!
When we go at Christmas we go in with the attitude we are just there for the atmosphere and we take it slow and don’t worry about getting on rides if it’s too busy, we get on all of them in the summers.
We did one all day gung ho day at Hollywood Studios on Christmas Day, no genie or lightning lane and we were still able to ride both Star Wars rides and Minnie Mickey, slinky dog and toy story see the frozen show, the Mickey shorts show, eat a few times get ice cream shop, half our party did rockin roller coaster (we had a group of 17). Good fun all around.

17 people???

How do you decide what to do?

I’d probably lose it the second we all walk in the park……”what? You want to do that first??? I’m out of here!!!!!”

I have no idea how to decide to do things when all 4 of us are there. I’m hoping they just follow my lead.

#1860 2 years ago

Tuesday morning can't get here fast enough.

#1866 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

We woke up early to make dining reservations... wow it is slim pickins even if you're waiting right when the reservation window opens. With all the changes and new rules and crazy planning required, I'm pretty bummed out about this next trip. I guess this is just how it is now.

I had no problem getting the reservations I wanted.

Granted, I'm there for 10 days. The really popular restaurants are on the backend of my trip.

For my trip, at the 60 day mark, I can make the reservations for all 10 days. Not sure if you knew about that.

#1868 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

We've had pretty good luck recently with joining the walk up lists (through the my disney experience app). We were able to get in to Le Cellier in 45 minutes. The walk up for the Diamond Horseshoe was also only about an hour.
There is a physical walk up line for the new space themed bar in Epcot by Mission space. That line only took about 30 minutes for the two of us to get in.

I have dinner reservations for Space 220.

#1870 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I heard that you can no longer do that - but you say you were able to do that recently?
Maybe I'm thinking of going to the bar/lounge only.

Reservations only. Even for the bar.

#1881 2 years ago

Down in Disney. Very shocked how crowded it is.

I figured with all the schooling kids have missed, they parents wouldn’t be taking them out of school.

At least the parks are all green from the 7th - 13th. Just hope it holds that way.

#1885 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

I don't live in Florida or nearby, but my kids are still on winter break this week. I'm sure there are many school districts which are the same. So I'd guess the drop in crowds predicted for next week will hold true.

Winter break this long after New Year’s Day?

#1889 2 years ago

I’m not against taking kids out of school.

I’m only against it right after a 2 week break from school.

I don’t get all these parents who don’t bring their kids back to the hotel in the afternoon. These kids are either passed out or having meltdowns.

#1891 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Or when it happens to coincide with your Disney trip.

I expect it for the April races during spring break.

But they shouldn’t be here right after Christmas break.

#1898 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey, Trekkie! Get me one of those shirts above in x-large. That's hysterical. I'm going to wear it while I'm snacking on popcorn and watching my wife sweat it out on the Peloton. It's all fun and games until I'm dead before she is.

If I see it in the parks, I’ll grab it.

#1903 2 years ago
3B55D76B-1966-4656-A08F-37007C85106E (resized).jpeg3B55D76B-1966-4656-A08F-37007C85106E (resized).jpeg417646F7-C2F6-46E7-985E-45FB8618C0CC (resized).jpeg417646F7-C2F6-46E7-985E-45FB8618C0CC (resized).jpeg50CF7A41-82EF-457B-9234-4817915FED09 (resized).jpeg50CF7A41-82EF-457B-9234-4817915FED09 (resized).jpegB791FDC2-1DB0-4903-A6E8-9EE90D4C62BA (resized).jpegB791FDC2-1DB0-4903-A6E8-9EE90D4C62BA (resized).jpegF43D5BFD-5072-44FD-B45E-7712487E5D69 (resized).jpegF43D5BFD-5072-44FD-B45E-7712487E5D69 (resized).jpegFFA62FB7-2FC9-4270-B8CE-A14902E92775 (resized).jpegFFA62FB7-2FC9-4270-B8CE-A14902E92775 (resized).jpeg
#1905 2 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

That is an incredible feet ! ( get it ?)

My feet incredibly hurt too!!

#1908 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Cool that they used Oswald!
We leave tomorrow - can't wait. Wait times yesterday were horrid, but guessing that is because of the Marathon. Should slow down a bit next week.

They used Oswald in 2019 too. 5k.

#1910 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

What was your time for each race? I would imagine they get harder each day from accumulated soreness and exhaustion.

I know I did the full in 7:10 range.

I did the parks hard from Tuesday to Friday. Ran the first 3 races harder than I should’ve.

Then I decided to run the marathon in a 5:45-6:00 time. My legs weren’t prepared for that. I felt great Sunday morning, but totally didn’t realize exactly how tired my legs really were.

I think I’ve come to realize that no matter what, for a dopey marathon, I’ll always be around the 7 hour mark.

#1912 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Do you get seeded before hand to get in an early corral? I know if you are in the later corrals and running over a 15 min mile pace, you are in danger of getting swept by the balloon ladies.

I was in the 3rd corral. I finished 18 minutes ahead of them.

The sun, heat and wind got to me the last third of the race.

At mile 18, I was 3 miles ahead of them.

My first marathon there, at mile 12, I was 1/4 mile ahead and they never caught me.

2nd one, about a mile ahead at mile 13, they caught me at 25. But that was 2020 marathon, after they cut the course they said no one would be swept.

#1915 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

The one year I did it, the temperature was in the 30s. I wasn't expecting it at all. I was so cold that I couldn't feel my hands for the first hour. It actually helped numb the pain of running. I got to the halfway point and realized I hadn't stopped to drink anything and I realized I wasn't really even sweating after 13 miles. I was just cold and numb.
The soreness definitely caught up to me in the end, though. Once it warmed up a little, I was limping the rest of the trip.

In magic kingdom on Monday, I’m standing in line for the castle photo with medals. I’m standing behind someone in a wheelchair who did the marathon. I congratulated him for being a handicap racer…….he wasn’t. His legs were sore, so his girlfriend was pushing him around the park. I was like “seriously? Look at all of us with the Dopey Walk……you just did 1 race…”

#1918 2 years ago

Does anyone know what the Dopey Walk is?

It puts more context with my comment.

#1937 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Bandaids or they even sell specialized sticker things.
https://nipeaze.com/

I use Body Glide on my nipples. It does the trick.

I give all the credit in the world to handicapped for doing the races.

ALTHOUGH, there was one that I had passed. That’s not cool. He ended up passing me around mile 18.

In the manner of them passing me, it was a crowded section and they almost caused an accident. The elite runners know how to run with them. We don’t…as well as there isn’t enough room at times.

Here’s a video of what can happen:

#1938 2 years ago

A review of my Disney trip. If anyone has followed what I have posted in this thread, my normal solo trip transforms into a family vacation with my girlfriend, her daughter (23) and daughter's boyfriend (25). Both kids were first timers to Disney.

I can't believe how crowded Expo was. I got there at 9am to buy merchandise. I should've gotten there at 8:30. I got in and out quickly, but when I had left, I have never seen the line to get in for merchandise that long. It was wrapped around the building. I was hearing later in the day, that the line was around 3 - 4hours long. I won't wait that long to go on a ride, let alone purchase merchandise.

I did Animal Kingdom on January 5th. Was really awesome hearing the Christmas music in the Animal Kingdom music style.

Speaking of Christmas...all the hotels has their Christmas decorations removed January 8th. I spoke to some cast members, they were very shocked to see them come down this early. Yesterday (13th), all the Christmas decorations were still up in the parks. Just doesn't make sense. I was very disappointed about that, because my girlfriend and the 2 kids didn't get to see the Grand Floridian all decked out (as well as our hotel: Destine Tower - Coronado).

The paid lightening lanes and Genie plus worked really well for us. Rise of Resistance, we walked right on. For the $15 per person, it was so work it. I know it came out to $60...but we didn't stand in line for 90 minutes. That's a tradeoff I will make every time. We also paid to get on Mickey's runaway rail. For the $36 or $44, it was worth it to not stand in line for 75 minutes. Then the $60 in Genie plus, we easily saved another couple hours. This is just a homer for Disney in regards to money making. That's an extra $160 they got out of me just for Disney Studios. Then at Magic Kingdom, $60 for the Genie Plus, $48 for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and $36 for Space Mountain. Again, we saved a few hours. At Epcot, we just paid for Remi's ride for $36. Was worth it to save the hour. At Animal Kingdom, it was around $40 for Avatar to save about an hour.

IMO, I don't think Disney will ever get away from the park pass reservation model. If they do, it will completely blow up the Genie plus model and Disney will end up pissing off so many people.

Tiffins Restaurant. First time I ever tried it. I ended up going twice. Fantastic place. I highly recommend it.

Boma. My 2nd time there, but 2 first timers went with me (running friends, nit my travel group). They were a little hesitant at first, but they trusted my judgement. They can't wait to go back.

Shula's Steakhouse. I go every time I'm in Disney. Probably the best steaks I've ever eaten.

Chef Mickey's breakfast. They don't do the normal buffet Instead, they bring plates of food. Was much better than the buffet ever was. Let's be honest, people go to Chef Mickey's to meet the characters, not for the fine dining. HOWEVER, the daughter is a vegan. Her tofu breakfast eggs were 10 times better than the normal scrambled eggs we got. Next time I go, I will request the tofu eggs. They were that good.

Space 220. One and done. Wasn't worth the price. The space effect was a bit of a letdown.

La Hacienda. Love that Mexican restaurant. Always willing to go back.

O'Hana. Always my go to after completing the marathon. They LOVED it.

Be Our Guest. Dinner was phenomenal. They really upped their game from a couple years ago.

Narcoosee's. First time I've been there since I was around 8 or 10. Great restaurant with a great view.

As for the 2 first timer's. They absolutely loved it. They stopped at every photo spot for the photo passes. When I would ask which rides were their favorite, they couldn't answer. So blown away. They can't wait to go back next January.

#1940 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You ain't kidding. But that's not what I thought "body glide on my nipples" meant.

Nipples, feet and all over the underwear region. If I don't do that, I won't finish a full marathon.

#1941 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Nipples, feet and all over the underwear region. If I don't do that, I won't finish a full marathon.

Not that Body glide gives me energy...it doesn't...just stops the rashes.

#1943 2 years ago

How many people are canceling Disney trips due to increase costs of tickets, hotels, food, transportation and paid line cutting.

I'm wondering how many people have finally hit their breaking point.

When I look at our Disney Hollywood Studios day. $60 for Rise of Resistance, $40 for Mickey runaway train, and $60 for genie plus (4 people total). Disney got out of me an extra $160 for the day, just to cut down on lines. Then the increased cost of the parks, the increased cost of food for the day. IMO, the travel cost to and from the airport should be factored in on a per day basis too.

#1948 2 years ago

I can't wait until my incredipass expires, so I can get one of the cheaper annual passes.

My pass renewed before they had the different tiers for out of staters.

When I renewed, it was the platinum pass. Disney automatically gave me the incredipass and took away my photo pass (which was standard on platinum pass). When I was at guest relations, the guy said the incredipass and platinum pass were exactly the same. My reply "Then where's my photo pass?" He said "that's an extra now." Then I said "So I guess they're not the same then..." Disney ended up giving me the photo pass for free on my account. I'm sure I'm not the only one with the transition to the new passes.

#1952 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Our photo pass stayed on when it changed to an incredipass but knowing Disney’s tech rollout problems I’m sure a ton didn’t.
Out of staters are still limited to the same top tier pass as before unless you are a DVC member then you can purchase the next one down, which used to be the gold pass.
I heard the next big increase will be food. With everything going up locally Disney food prices actually weren’t that bad. My local take out places have gone up 15-50%. There are now meals in Disney that I can’t even get for that price back home in Michigan now. I’m just hoping they hold off a little longer, we have a big summer trip planned and then our passes will expire and we do not plan on renewing. We are looking to take a few years off and see some other places but I’m sure we will be back, just don’t know if we will ever be back for 18 day stays with annual passes again.
I have to say the Genie plus thing wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Not nearly as many people are using it as used fast pass plus so the lightning lanes aren’t slowing down the standby lines as long as they used to. When we went over Christmas it was jam packed and touring plans had crowds as a 10 every park every day, but the stand by lines were shorter than any other Christmas we have ever been too.

Food has to go up. We can’t have 7% inflation in the country and have every restaurant in the country raise their prices except for Disney restaurants.

#1956 2 years ago
Quoted from JakePG:

Going to have a few hours to kill on Saturday when I land in Orlando with the family.
Anybody ever been to Dezerland for pinball? How is it?

Are you visiting Disney or just going to Orlando?

#1972 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

As others said, they are not dummies. They will always test to see what people will pay. That is what any sensible business should do. As long as there are enough people willing to pay X amount, that will be the fee. If you can't or don't want to pay X, then you don't go. And, they do not care.

As a local to Anaheim with an annual pass, I would say yes there are a lot of local passholders that go. But for sure, there are PLENTY of tourists there as well. In fact, most people are tourists I am pretty sure. Both from the rest of the country, and from other countries. Its not too hard to tell them from local southern Californians. I am in awe of them every time I go to that place, as far as how much money they are willing to spend and their tolerance for crowds.
I don't go nearly as often as others in the family. I've been 3 times since ROTR opened, and have not been able to get on yet. That's what really amazes me, all those people who paid all that money, and it is literally impossible for them to get on that ride on their one day at Disneyland. That would really annoy me. But it doesn't matter to me, I'll be going back 100 more times and eventually get on it.
I don't know the details of all the ins and outs, which seem to change a lot. The last time I was there, you had to get on the app at exactly 1PM to get a place in line for ROTR (if you got rejected on the early morning attempt, which we did). Not 1 PM plus 1 second, but exactly 1PM. At 1, literally everyone around us all froze in position staring at their cellphones, and hitting the buttons to try to get it. As far as I could tell, not a single person around me got it. We sure didn't. Crazy.
Just to confirm - there was no option to stand in line and wait to get on it. You had to get your reservation from the app, or nothing.

If you ask me, $15 to get on ROTR isn’t enough. It sells out almost everyday.

When I paid to get in the ride, I walked right on. All we had to do was wait for the next pre-show.

Even if they charged $25, I’d pay it to not stand in line for 2 hours.

#1986 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Disney is clearly struggling to hire the staff they need. I read that they're offering between $1000 and $6000 signing bonus for new staff, depending on the position. Even so, they just can't hire nearly enough people. They would have an easier time finding new employees in Florida if they got rid of the covid vaccine requirement. There's no legal requirement anymore after the Supreme Court case. Even so, while they struggle to staff their parks and resorts, they're requiring vaccines in an area where people are not going for it, and there was definitely push back from their existing staff over it. I actually think that disney likes being understaffed and is using the pandemic as cover for running things with a cheap skeleton crew.

Look at how much they scaled back on everything.

I understand they need to make a profit. But Chapek is going overboard with it.

#1989 2 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

Hi all,
Ok, just seen this thread here for the first time.
That being said, we are planning Disney World for the first time in early March. Any wisdom you can share? ROTR is a must, so I assume Genie+
Also planning on hitting up Universal as well.
Generally what is the weather like the beginning of March, does it cool off much in the evenings?

Are you staying on Disney?

That’s needed info for genie plus and lightening lanes.

#2021 2 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

Is this for real? We are stay at a Disney Good Neighbor hotel (or whatever they are called in Orlando).

First time World, been to Disneyland many times as and even Disneyland Paris - thought we would hit up World for the 50th - this Genie thing is all new to us though (and many I suspect) - we are familiar with Maxpass that they use to have before at Disneyland.
I know ROTR goes down a lot which is too bad, just like to try it out at least once as it might be some time before we hit up the parks again as it is getting pricey (especially since we also have to convert from the Canadian Peso). Waiting in lines, well BITD we waiting something like 3+ hours for Rocket Rods - talk about a disappointment. lol
Mostly interested in the rides that are not available in Disneyland, just too bad Tron Coaster isn't running yet.
Universal - we probably wont hit up too many rides there as we don't usually do well on the motion simulator type rides. Jurassic World would be one on the list though, was still Jurassic Park when we last went in 2016 in LA.
Hoping to beat the spring break crowds though, which we should since we will be there the first couple of weeks.

If you’re staying on Disney, you can start booking at 7am. Off Disney, 9am (I believe that’s what Disney had said, could’ve been 8am).

For universal, like other have said. Stay at or if their big three and you get the express pass for free. Totally worth it.

1 week later
#2072 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

None of it is the OT, and I agree - the Falcon without Solo is pathetic. It is the way the Execs have decided that it
is going to go.

Iger made a huge mistake by making Galaxy's Edge exclusively based on the sequel trilogy. I under stand creating a new location to set it in...but how on earth can there be a Millennium Falcon ride and no Han Solo. That's just crazy.

Me personally, I think they should've followed course in the same way Star Tours is...different scenarios. Maybe you get a young Han with the Kessel Run. Maybe they take Harrison Ford and de-age him, now you're battling the Death Star (Star Wars or Jedi),or escape from Hoth. Maybe have an older Han and you're on a mission for something.

Rise of Resistance should stay the way it is. Just a fantastic ride.

Quoted from Methos:

Epcot's old attractions are legendary. I never got to ride any of them, except the Ellen ride.

Ellen wasn't the original version of Universe of Energy. The original was a real bore, but granted I was only a young kid back then.

Wonders of Life was great, World of Motion was great, Horizons was great.

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

The right answer is the original Journey Into Imagination. I've seen videos of the dumbed down version.
No offense to Eric Idle, but the new version is nowhere as good than it was in it's original incarnation and voiced by Chuck McCann and Billy Barty.

YES!!!!! I don't know why they don't bring back the original, or at least something representative of the original.

With Honey I Shrunk the Audience closed, the current Journey into Imagination doesn't make any sense.

Quoted from yaksplat:

Mission Space and Test Track are garbage compared to their predecessors. After going throughout the 80's and early 90's, I didn't make it back until 2008. What a letdown Epcot was at that point.

The original test track is 100 times better than the current version. None of it makes sense. The break test was standard vs ABS The scanning rooms were the old paint shop, hot and cold weather rooms. The door opening at the end was the crash test. I honestly have no idea why the ride has such long lines anymore. Is it just the 64 mph at the end?

#2079 2 years ago

For my April trip, I have Animal Kingdom Lodge with Savanna view booked and a normal Coronado Springs room booked.

If girlfriend goes, we are staying at AK. If not, then Coronado.

#2081 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

So...you were just there and you're going back in April???
Can I be your girlfriend?

Spring time surprise races.

5k - 10pm at Animal Kingdom
10K and 10 miles too. I don’t know where they will be.

Not to be mean….but she is a lot younger than you…..still older than me…..but a lot younger than you.

Already booked for November for the Wine & Dine races. Also have January 2023 booked for the Dopey Races.

#2083 2 years ago

Hoping Fantastic will be opened back up for April.

2 months later
#2262 2 years ago
ED04C69A-8D9C-485A-B3E6-CFB43B4B1BF7 (resized).jpegED04C69A-8D9C-485A-B3E6-CFB43B4B1BF7 (resized).jpeg
#2263 2 years ago
9ABFCEDB-CD6E-41C0-A65A-DE54D65A17DC (resized).jpeg9ABFCEDB-CD6E-41C0-A65A-DE54D65A17DC (resized).jpeg
#2264 2 years ago
718174D3-327C-4042-92B7-E2C68A1D63CD (resized).jpeg718174D3-327C-4042-92B7-E2C68A1D63CD (resized).jpeg
#2265 2 years ago
BDDF00FE-CF6A-4193-A77E-9FF95066207A (resized).jpegBDDF00FE-CF6A-4193-A77E-9FF95066207A (resized).jpeg
#2270 2 years ago

Was just there. They say dreamers. However, bathrooms still say Men/Women.

#2308 2 years ago

25% off on vacation for Disney+ subscribers through September 30...very interesting.

If I had to guess, they've probably had a lot of cancellations for vacations and and a lot of cancellations for Disney+. This is very odd for Disney to offer what is normally an Annual Pass Holder discount to Disney+ subscribers. I pay $1,300 for my annual pass compared to $160 for Disney+.

I was looking earlier for Nov 3 - 7 (been booked for months), just to see if any AP discounts pop up. What I did notice, is a lot more availability has opened up compared to what it was a couple weeks ago. That's NJ week too. Rooms should already be limited and higher priced.

#2315 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've opted to go to Universal Hollywood this year for the first time rather than Disney when I'm out in Anaheim for NAMM. The choice was simple: $180 a day for Disney (plus the genie bulls**t) and wait in lines all day, or pay $350 for a Universal VIP pass which gets me breakfast, lunch, semi-private tours with off-bus excursions backstage, and jumping to the front of the line all day for rides. It's a no-brainer. I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan, but I'll learn to love him for one day.

VIP tour out there is fantastic!!!!!!

Do you like sushi?

#2316 2 years ago

Animals are my view from my room at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

0796438A-9FFF-4250-B6F1-B16AD021ED45 (resized).jpeg0796438A-9FFF-4250-B6F1-B16AD021ED45 (resized).jpeg289B1C82-77D1-475D-B301-78F8A5297B1D (resized).jpeg289B1C82-77D1-475D-B301-78F8A5297B1D (resized).jpeg32DACD29-D707-4895-B418-036D45587EBE (resized).jpeg32DACD29-D707-4895-B418-036D45587EBE (resized).jpeg6171EB47-3E0D-43D3-B9B4-7182651600DA (resized).jpeg6171EB47-3E0D-43D3-B9B4-7182651600DA (resized).jpegA4BD6A5B-504E-495C-824D-50622D3BCA21 (resized).jpegA4BD6A5B-504E-495C-824D-50622D3BCA21 (resized).jpegD7A31126-F1BF-4794-BBA3-942A0E6B7CE3 (resized).jpegD7A31126-F1BF-4794-BBA3-942A0E6B7CE3 (resized).jpegDCB4D64A-C9DC-4B09-B3AA-B420AF7CE813 (resized).jpegDCB4D64A-C9DC-4B09-B3AA-B420AF7CE813 (resized).jpegF5F1E946-048F-49D8-B2FD-CBCF4E3D33F0 (resized).jpegF5F1E946-048F-49D8-B2FD-CBCF4E3D33F0 (resized).jpeg
#2337 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I don't have the 3-year deal and I'm canceling. As a teacher, I'm dealing with my state mandating the teaching of gender identity to 2nd graders. The last thing I want to hear is that the Happiest Place on Earth is going in the same direction.
If you have a political opinion, that's great and I respect it even if it differs from mine. Just don't subject your age-inappropriate beliefs on kids when they're just there to have a great time--either in the parks or on TV.

Disney used to get it right “ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls”. WTF is a dreamer???

And as for NJ, what a bunch of sick f- - - ks.

When I was in school, we didn’t learn about sex Ed until 5th grade. Things I was concerned about in 2nd grade: transformers, he-man, MASK, Star Wars, disney world, what Santa was bringing me for Christmas, what the Easter bunny was bringing me for Easter and staying as far away from girls as I could, because they had the cooties.

#2345 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I don't mind the stollers as much, it's getting hit from behind by an overweight drunk on a scooter that burns me up.

When do those scooters become a thing?

Got to say, in the 80’s, I don’t remember seeing any of them in the parks. If someone was in a wheel chair, they were being pushed.

#2443 2 years ago

Anyone spending Easter in Disney?

#2450 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Just curious, once your kids are grown, will you continue to visit?
I still enjoy the hotels, especially Boardwalk, but walking through the parks and waiting on the lines is brutal.

My girlfriend is 44. She hadn’t been to Disney since she was 7 or 8. She ended up going with me in January to support me for Dopey races and a couple weeks ago for springtime surprise races. She’s set to go with me in November for wine and dine races, then January where she is going to run in the 5k, 10k and half marathon. She’s already mentioning we get dressed up for the races.

#2455 2 years ago

Wow.....Marathon weekend sold out fast!

Got signed up for my 4th Dopey. Girlfriend is signed up for 5K, 10K and half marathon.

#2461 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm actually curious (as a 0.0k person myself, aka potato) - what about the Disney races make them so appealing for people that it's a mad dash to sign up? Aren't they expensive as heck?

You're running through parks, you can stop and get pictures with characters, then when you're done running...you're in Disney on vacation.

A lot of the characters aren't available anywhere for pictures, only during the races.

#2465 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Looks like masks are no longer required at Disney parks.
https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orange-county/walt-disney-world-removes-all-face-mask-requirements/GTERNUUPI5GNDG4LDVET6REDLI/
I wonder if this will lead to a flood of new reservations.
Still really looking forward to a family trip down there in the Fall. I am going to be taking the kids to Hershey Park this summer to get them acclimated to thrill rides to make sure they are acclimated to the concept for the Fall.
Also, that new guardians of the galaxy rollercoaster looks like it will be pretty sweet.

Disney really doesn’t have thrill rides.

How old are your kids?

#2470 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

5, 8, and 10. I just want to put them on "Scooby Do's Ghoster Coaster" or something along those lines before Space Mountain, Aerosmith, or (hopefully) guardians. We have not been to any parks since COVID and I want to make sure my youngest is comfortable before taking him to the nice park. I took the kids when my oldest was 5.

Space mountain tops out at 27MPH.

Aerosmith, tower of terror, and maybe expedition Everest are the only rides to really worry about.

Test track is harmless for the small ones.

Splash mountain is harmless too.

I don’t count Mission Space because I think the ride should removed from Epcot (or the planet to be more precise). Only way I go on it, is if I’m with someone who has never done it.

Do not miss out on the shows: country bears, monsters laugh in, carousel of progress, awesome planet, lion king, tiki room. All quality shows with no lines. I doubt your kids will be interested in hall of presidents and American adventure.

#2488 2 years ago

I can handle mission space.

I just think they can do something a lot better than what they currently offer.

I’m hoping Moana and Tron are open when I go in November. I’m sure Fantasmic will be open by then.

#2496 2 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Well, compared to The World of Motion and Horizons, Mission Space and Test Track are both a huge letdown.

Original test track was great.

The new one, you're basically waiting to get outdoors.

#2497 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Last time I was at Disney World was 22 years ago, but I'm very sad to hear that they removed my favorite experience from that trip - Alien Encounter. That thing was amazing. Anyone here do that?

Not sure which part was my favorite, the show itself or the 5 year olds screaming their heads off afterwards.

The mistake Disney made was having it in the Magic Kingdom. It belongs in Hollywood Studios. They should put it in Star Wars land. Have them beam a Rancor or something. I'm sure they can make it work.

#2501 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

They could reuse the space and make it really scary...
Once they secure everyone with those seat restraints, they then subject you to a 30 minute hard sell on the Disney Vacation Club

Seeing what they charge to get into the Vacation Club....that shit is SCARY!!!!

#2544 2 years ago

I still say Spider-Man is the best theme park attraction ever built.

#2558 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

They’re running ride tests, there’s a video of the cars on the track outside. Might be this year I think.

The problem is, we have no idea what the inside looks like. Obviously the track is done, it what about everything else inside? We don’t know.

Disney really dropped the ball with shutting down construction when Covid first hit.

#2560 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I wouldn’t say they “really dropped the ball” when it was a conscious business decision. As with all theme parks they were trying to find a way to operate and not lose money during the pandemic. That meant layoffs, reducing dining options, and pausing or delaying construction projects to cope with lower revenues from reducing crowd capacity and travel restrictions.
As for when, if we use GOTG as a guidepost, they began vehicle testing in November of 20 and ride testing in mid December 21 and opening at the end of May 22. Disney announced last month that they were approaching vehicle testing with Tron. I would expect a slightly faster time table here. Push pull tests will be performed to check clearances and ensure the track is assembled properly. Once those are complete, they need to commission the launch system, do testing with weighted dummies, and finally with the ride team, which they state will take “months”. From the video you can see the maintenance bay is fully built out, so there has been a fair amount of work done in the ride building. If I had to guess late q4 ride previews leading to a q1 opening. I think it would be a nightmare to open a new ride during the holiday rush.
Check out the update:

If completing GOTG, Tron, and Moana would put Disney out of business when covid first hit, then Elon Musk needs to buy the company.

#2582 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

Recent events make you wonder if Disney could be vulnerable to a hostile takeover if their stock price continues to fall...

Last time the stock was in the 20’s, Comcast tried buying them.

I don’t think it’s going to those levels.

#2584 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Not sure I understand what you mean there. Those projects were too far along to cancel, so they were paused or scaled back.
Before COVID Disney was ramping up a construction in preparation for their 50th anniversary. In addition to what you listed:
- At EPCOT there was also a Spaceship Earth ride retrack that was cancelled, a Mary Poppins meet and greet area, and the Festival Pavilion that was removed from plans
- At Disney Springs construction of an eatery and ice cream parlor were cancelled (Beatrix and Ample Hills Creamery)
- The Reflections DVC hotel that was in the early stages of construction was cancelled and footings removed.
- At the Magic Kingdom it was announced that Splash Mountain would be reimaged with a new story and then never moved forward.
All these were scrapped to reduce risk at a time of escalating construction costs coinciding with a reduced ability to collect a return on park investments. They focused instead on Disney Plus, which ballooned the stock price from $85 to $197 at peak before it came back down. It wouldn't make financial sense to overextend themselves building attractions and adding costs at a time when your revenues are capped. To understand the scale of the liability, Tron's initial projected cost was $350-$450 million dollars to complete before COVID.

Meaning those projects should’ve never stopped.

Once you break ground in the parks, you don’t stop.

Splash mountain was a reaction to summer 2020 with all the riots. That’s why nothing has happened. They are now designing it. Which begs the question, which overlay actually improved a ride?

Test track ‘99 is far superior to current one.

Original journey is far superior.

Original tiki room was better….thank god it’s back.

Alien encounter was better than stitch.

Norway ride was better before frozen took it over.

Living with the land was better with a tour guide.

Original Epcot fire work show is better than the current one.

Buzz light year is better than dream flight.

#2589 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

Did they have that much money? I thought I had heard they had a lot of debt at the time.
Disney stock still falling today. How long before shareholders demand new management?

Why Chapek allowed the company to get political just boggles the mind. It’s just a guarantee to piss off half your customers.

The company I own, I have republicans, democrats and independents that I employ. And they all have the same thing in common…they do politics on their own time, not company time. They know if they decide to walk out to protest, that they just lost their job. Why Chapek ever bowed down to his employees….who knows. They don’t need a soft bean counter running the company. They need someone with vision. Love or hate Iger, he had a vision. What is Chapek’s vision? I can’t answer it….I doubt Chapek can answer it too.

I’m trying to find a picture from the marathon I took. The sign someone held said “you run better than Chapek runs Disney.” Had me cracking up and naturally, I gave that person a high five as I ran by.

#2592 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

There's a real problem on one side where staying neutral is no longer acceptable. You're either an ally or an enemy. They should have just fired the people making threats. They are a very small percentage of Disney's workforce... And now Disney is in a huge mess because a small percentage of people demanded action.
I knew people that worked for Disney in Burbank and they talked about the roadmap for content and how they knew there was an expiration date on their jobs because they'd be required to create content that violated their conscience in the near future. Those people just started looking for new jobs. Disney is not a tolerant company. They told people they would need to fall in line or lose their jobs regardless of their personal convictions.

If you ask me, they should get back to doing things the Disney way.

I miss the old times in the parks, where men weren’t allowed any facial hair, no earrings on guys, girls were allowed 1 (maybe 2), no tattoos, boys outfits and girls outfits, and last but not least “ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls..”. No idea why they ever went off their standards. The whole point of disney, was to be a step above the competition, not on the same playing field as them.

If I were CEO and someone asked me about politics, my answer would be that I’m too busy running a family entertainment company to be worried about politics.

#2598 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Because there were not enough available people to be employees who would follow the old standards.

And you know this how?

That’s right….you don’t.

#2614 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

They only get accused of being 'Political' when they stopped campaign contributions
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/04/11/disney-donation-florida-republicans-00024417

Nothing more Walt Disney than driving your workers to strike...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_animators%27_strike

Like all big corporations, Disney donates to both sides…..

Disney has workers go on strike? The horror. You make it sound like that has never ever happened before to another big company.

People didn’t cancel Disney out of their life for donating to both sides. Disney got canceled for taking a side on a specific law in Florida.

#2617 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I’ll believe Disney got “canceled” when I see it - I think they’re about as canceled as Louis CK at this point.

There’s a reason why Disney+ subscribers are getting 25% hotel rooms…..those discounts have always been saved for AP holders.

#2619 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

I think they're doing crazy things to get people to opt in to Disney+. They have a lot of eggs in that basket now and it hasn't been going as well as they thought it would. Now that Netflix has announced its bleeding subscribers by the millions, the markets assume that Disney+ is also struggling... And they probably are.

But that announcement for the 25% discount was right after people starting to cancel Disney.

Way too coincidental for my tastes.

#2627 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No - its because they had the audacity to go against desantis and his consolidated super majority state house.
They’ve even admitted as much… which is why ultimately disney will have a federal case here if they need to use it.

Ohhhhh… so there was absolutely no law they were protesting????

No gaslighting please.

Added 17 months ago:

Can we get this topic back open?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Trekkie1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disney-fans-thread?tu=Trekkie1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.