C938622F-E4EC-468A-897A-D61D2AD6BBF7 (resized).jpeg
D2479C87-4F69-4993-8867-80E122D4EF1E.jpeg
Super_Nintendo_World_(Universal_Studios_Japan) (resized).png
Stan Mikita (resized).jpg
cry.jpg
pasted_imageWhat was I thinking  (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
0FB828AF-2DEC-4FB8-A425-A070389F1FE5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1055 3 years ago

Rather than issuing a bunch of moderations I’ll issue a warning...next Covid related post gets ejected. Take it to the Covid thread. Thanks.

#1061 3 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

I'm honestly not trying to be contentious but it seems to me it is difficult to discuss your Disney experience, good or bad, without mentioning you know, the thing. Especially if
very vigorous enforcement of rules or certain practices materially affect someone's enjoyment or ride waits.

I hear ya and don’t disagree with the point you make at all. Nevertheless, take it to the Covid thread please, that is the decision of the mod team. If that means this particular thread has less action for awhile then so be it, we will not allow this thread to become a Covid debate filled with participants who were ejected from the Covid thread.

You are certainly allowed to discuss Disney parks in the Covid thread. Have at it.

5 months later
#1479 2 years ago

Went to Orlando for a week in late September. We did five Disney park days and one day at both Universal parks. Incredible time. Going to go back in 2022, might add in a day at Seaworld.2B151108-E4E6-4EEE-9950-09584C55433F (resized).jpeg2B151108-E4E6-4EEE-9950-09584C55433F (resized).jpeg

#1480 2 years ago

So, we did every single ride at all four parks with very few exceptions (the Aerosmith one at Hollywood Studios being the only significant miss).

Here were our favorites for each park:

Magic Kingdom:

1) Big Thunder (the olfactory sensation of this ride put me right back to being a kid…it was incredible since I hadn’t been to Disney in over 30 years).
2) Haunted House.
3) tie: Pirates and 7 Dwarfs

*notable comment, the Teekee Room was hysterical…I’m glad both it and the country bears were still there.

Hollywood Studios:

1) Twilight Zone / Tower of Terror
2) Rise of the Republic
3) Slink Dog

Animal Kingdom:

1) Safari
2) Everest
3) Dino Ride

Epcot

1) can’t remember what it was called, hoisted us into the air for a four video of planet earth film with fresh air and various smells. Was very cool.
2) the big Epcot ball
3) Frozen

*note on Epcot, it also had the only ride we did not enjoy the entire week. The one simulating the force of blasting off from earth by spinning you around really fast…gave us a head ache and sent us packing early that day.

#1561 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Next time you go, make sure to hit flight of passage at animal kingdom. If you loved soarin you'll probably love flight of passage. It's like soarin on steroids, although it's in a completely fictional world. Soarin is cool because it's flying over the real world. (Though still uses lots of CGI).

Did Flight of Passage, absolutely loved it. The problem is that 45 inch requirement, our smallest companion can’t get on the 45 inch rides. I didn’t understand why that ride was 45 inches honestly…42 should be more than fine.

Any thoughts on those shoes that add an extra inch? We are going back next year and will really need it.

Quoted from Parkshow30:

The ride at Epcot that you did not enjoy is called Mission Space and is awful.

Yep, worst ride ever. I’m sure it must have its fans, but DAMN!!!

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

It’s called The Tiki Room. Thank good they brought back the original show. Under New Management was down right awful.

I loved that room. They should never change. I also enjoy the wheel of progress funny enough.

#1573 2 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

Although you need to get a boarding pass in the morning, very similar to what people used to have to do for Rise of the Resistance.

The line now for Rise of the Resistance is typically three hours…I wish they would go back to the virtual queue…

Passes are fully booked for my family’s return trip in late feb early March next year. I wish they would have another night of Magic Kingdom being open till midnight, that was amazing in September for Halloween.

#1575 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Keep in mind with a new paid skip the line feature rolling out in just a few days, it’s in Disney’s best interest to have as long of lines as possible or at least the appearance of long lines so that everyone says gee I better pay more or I’m going to be stuck in line all day.

I’m optimistic about this new skip the line feature. I wonder what the cost point will be?

Next Feb we are doing Epcot on the Sunday, Animal Kingdom on the Monday, Magic Kingdom on the Tuesday, and Hollywood Studios on the Wednesday. Our Disney agent said these were the best days. What are y’all’s opinion?

My son is 42 and half inches bare foot. I need another two and half inches for most of the good rides outside of Magic Kingdom (and for Space Mountain). Which shoes are my best bet? Should I grow his hair long and spike it? (Obviously I’m kidding about the hair, but what other than massive shoes can I possibly do for that two and inches).

#1585 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

If the ride attendants suspect your child is wearing lifts, they'll ask to take off their shoes and remeasure at the front of the line once you have already waited. I know it's tough, but it's best to leave the safety measures how they were intended.

All the same, anyone have some ideas for me to consider? What are the best lift shoes? What sort of scalp extenders will look legit?

#1590 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Regarding height, we had a really nice cast member last trip when my younger daughter was really close to getting on flight of passage. She coached her and told her to take a big deep breath as she stood under the height marker and wow what a difference that made, I would say she went up a half inch each time she did that and had no trouble getting on the ride.

Hmm, maybe we can practice that some and see if it helps. 45 inches is really necessary to get the most out of the parks other than Magic Kingdom…and you need to be 45 inches for almost all of the good things at Universal. As far as safety, I don’t really see how it’s safer to be a couple inches taller on Space Mountain. You are strapped in the same either way.

#1609 2 years ago

Thanks for all the safety concern, I certainly appreciate and value all input. If we were talking six inches and fifteen pounds for inversion based roller coasters I’d not be asking these questions.

That said, we are talking an inch and half for Space Mountain and Flight of Passage (he is 42.5 inches bare foot and we need to hit 44 inches)…so if possible let us change the discussion direction from whether I should do this to how do I pull this caper off…

I liked the idea Fizz had of hitting those rides first thing in the morning. Maybe I can harness a centimeter for him from that way. A baseball hat doesn’t seem like an answer, too easy to make him take it off. The shoes are the only path I see and I’ll need 1.5 inches to be certain. The booster shoes I see online are for three inches (too much) and for adults. I need something that blends in with normal. Any suggestions?

#1618 2 years ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

I do hope that Disney doesn't fall down the Universal trap of recycling the same ride over and over with a different IP ("Remember Spider-Man? It's like that, but with Transformers!"). Don't get me wrong, the technology is incredible and I feel like they may have reached a pinnacle with Runaway Railway, but they need to put their creative juices flowing towards not letting everything start to feel too samey.
Based on what tiny snippets they've let loose about Guardians so far, I don't think they've lost their way just yet.

I wouldn’t worry about this too much. The rides at Disney are always doing whatever they can do with the technology at the time. Then they apply pieces of it in other rides (note how they implemented the technology from the Tower of Terror into Rise of the Resistance).

I just want Disney in Orlando to expand their various parks and keep pumping out new rides and experiences at as fast of a pace as possible to reduce line time.

#1628 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Lastly, lines are never going to get shorter no matter what the parks do. The latest attractions will always have long lines as people rush to get on the latest and greatest.

Agreed, but if they are actually growing the size of the parks (which they can do in Orlando) they will reduce the lines eventually. The new rides may well have long lines but the older ones will enjoy reduced wait times. I do understand the number of guests keep increasing, this means growing the overall size of the parks remains important.

Quoted from EternitytoM83:

They pulled off some cool 3D-like stuff in Runaway Railway without the need for glasses, so I'm sort of hoping that the glasses will become a thing of the past. As a family of prescription glasses wearers, I don't think any of us would miss them a bit.

Gosh yes, I’m alright with 3D glasses on some rides of course, but Universal over uses that feature pretty significantly. I guess it was part of their trade dress early on before 3D became basically every movie theater in the country for every semi major release…

#1629 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Gosh yes, I’m alright with 3D glasses on some rides of course, but Universal over uses that feature pretty significantly. I guess it was part of their trade dress early on before 3D became basically every movie theater in the country for every semi major release…

While on this subject, does anyone know if you can buy clip on 3D glasses (that clip on to your regular glasses) for Disney and/or universal? That would be so incredibly helpful since my regular glasses make putting on the 3D glasses over them such a problem.

#1682 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

For deluxe, they should have an extra 3 hours in magic kingdom and Disney studios everyday.

That would have me booking there for certain.

4 months later
#2137 2 years ago

So, today is the big day, we are heading back to Disney. My son now measures 43.75 bare foot. We think he will just squeeze in for Space Mountain and the other 44 inch rides. We shouldn’t even need to use the heel boosters.

#2141 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

He pulled it off! Hope he has a great time.

Thanks! Back in October I just didn’t think it was possible (as my posts then likely indicated). Tomorrow is Epcot…so no opportunity to find out for sure till Monday. I’ll post some pics!

#2143 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

One night we went on space mountain over and over for an hour with zero wait.

Yep, we’ve done that with Big Thunder before, it’s such an incredible experience.

Quoted from radium:

Wear your LSU shirt, it’s gonna be SLAM PACKED with Louisiana people right now.

Yep, we have a good number of Louisiana friends here or so we’ve noticed through social media. Our fellow Mardi Gras escapees.

Quoted from radium:

If you’re staying at a Disney deluxe resort, take advantage of the extended park hours… lots of rides were walk-on when we did it earlier this month.

Alas, we are off branding hotel wise this trip, just staying at a Marriott. We are doing two Universal days in addition to the four Disney days.

2 weeks later
#2148 2 years ago

The lines were pretty rough at Disney. Genie+ was also not very user friendly. It took me a full day to figure it out, even after reading everything about it on the Disney site. I only got to do four rides with it one day, three rides with it on two days, and one day (at Hollywood Studios) only two rides. So, I averaged three line skips a day only…and I was spending 10+ hours at each park.

I’m not sure what Disney can do about the lines, it is the family destination so it will always have lines…the only answer is for them to: (a) build another park or two, (b) dramatically expand the existing parks with more attractions to eat up some of the lines, or (c) dramatically expand their hours of operation (stay open till midnight). I guess they could also increase prices to the point where people simply stop booking to go there and they are probably more inclined to do that than one of the other three suggestions.

I love Disney, but ouch to those lines. Universal’s express pass system worked better than Genie+ (though granted it was $120 a ticket rather than $15 a ticket).

#2151 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

When I fly back home from MCO my flight is at 8:00 am. It’s on a Thursday. I’m hearing I need to show up 3 hours ahead of time. Is this true?

If you are TSA pre and able to check your luggage outside you will be just fine as usual with half that time.

#2153 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

For anyone doing Universal, remember that if you stay at one of their Premier hotels they comp express pass for each guest staying in the room (including day of check in and check out). That’s in addition to the one hour early admission. If you’ve got a family of four it’ll generally be cheaper to get the hotel than to pay for the express passes directly. Makes it a no-brained to stay at Universal whatever days you’ll be visiting their parks.

I learned about that this trip. This is seriously good advice everyone. I will absolutely be doing this next trip, without a doubt.

#2155 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I have heard the lines in Feb were absolutely crazy. Almost like summer levels. And February WAS the slowest month of the year.

My vacation booking agent told me that last week was historically the second slowest week of the year…it sure didn’t seem like it. I don’t think there is an off season any longer at Disney. I’m sure the remote learning and work from home and what not have contributed to that as people are just thinking about vacationing year round now.

#2165 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

3- Create capacity to reduce crowds by adding things to bring people to places to sit down and take a timeout.. like interesting dining and not just QS everywhere that just dumps people back out into the park. Open up all the dining and make it interesting...

This is an interesting comment. One of the few things that is working well right now is it is relatively easy to get a table to sit down and eat when you order through your mobile ap. If they lengthened the dining experience they would quickly overcrowd capacity on that front as well…

Your points one and four would be helpful. Frankly though, I think adding more rides (by expanding parks, not taking away things from the parks) would help with capacity more than just about anything. Big new attractions will take pressure off the existing rides.

#2193 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

For decades now Disney took was a plethora of options for entertainment and instead of having the benefit of variety -- they have conditioned people through marketing and pricing structures to be the folks that "Gotta do it all!" - They've literally been building the "Park Commandos" that everyone dreaded to be associated with and made that the norm. Instead of diversity of experiences to spread load and slow the pace... it's do more, quicker, and try to do it all.
Add into that reducing park attraction capacity and activities that pull people away... you funnel everyone into the same things.. increasing demand and crowds.

By the way, I totally agree with what you are saying. I hadn’t really thought of it this way but you have completely described how I was feeling this last trip…I was turned in to a total park commando…and not a happy one since I was constantly in lines…

1 month later
#2540 1 year ago
Quoted from Zartan:

I think if I go again I would probably do 2 days at Universal and 4 in Disney.

4 at Universal and just 2 at Disney for me. The Genie+ system is an utter catastrophe at Disney and I actually enjoyed Universal more than Disney my last trip. If the lines were more reasonable at Disney I would certainly feel differently.

#2542 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I wish my children enjoyed Universal because I’d be more than happy to pass on WDW.

A lot of people kind of ripped the Dr. Sues area, particularly the cat in the hat ride, but I thought it was great. Also, the super hero world is great, rides like Spiderman are very kid friendly.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disney-fans-thread?tu=TigerLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.