C938622F-E4EC-468A-897A-D61D2AD6BBF7 (resized).jpeg
D2479C87-4F69-4993-8867-80E122D4EF1E.jpeg
Super_Nintendo_World_(Universal_Studios_Japan) (resized).png
Stan Mikita (resized).jpg
cry.jpg
pasted_imageWhat was I thinking  (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
0FB828AF-2DEC-4FB8-A425-A070389F1FE5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

271 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Methos. You are on page 1 of 2.
#9 4 years ago

We go twice a year to WDW. Just got back 2 weeks ago from a 10 day stay. We always stay on property and this time we stayed at the Shades of Green, which was very impressive and very inexpensive. We'll probably make this our every other stay resort as the cost is just getting to a price point that is beyond us.

We also go for the atmosphere and the "bubble", although we still hit the parks hard. My kids are now in their teens, but they still love WDW and it's still something we look forward to all year.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Disneyworld was great but is now a rip off (especially when travelling from Europe).
Epcot is essentially a building site at the moment.

That's not ture. They have the Festival of Construction going on right now and it's expected to last all year.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

My wife and I are going to Dinsey World later this month. Will be checking out Hollywood Studios this time and of course the new Star Wars area there.
Oh, for anyone going to Epcot I highly recommend having dinner at the Biergarten Restaurant in Germany. It's one heck of an awesome buffet, make reservations in advance.

Yes, but it's like $68 per person!

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

My wife and I are going to Disney World in May. The last time I went was in 2nd grade - about 26 years ago! I'm definitely looking forward to it because I know so much has changed and the memories I have of that trip 26 years ago are few and far between.
If anybody has any tips to make the trip great, let me know. We've read a lot already so we are probably familiar with a lot of the more obvious ones like going early/stay late and go back to the hotel mid-day, book fast pass on the app 60 days out, etc. But anything that is less obvious, I'd love to hear it.

Your best bet is to sit down and read up on some of the blogs. Undercover Tourist and Tom Bricker's site are good ones. Your visit to the parks is all dependent on the date you are going and the crowd levels. Fortunately there is a ton of research which can pinpoint the parks you should visit on the selected dates.

When you book those fast passes, you need to get up early and be ready. They go quick.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

You've nailed the real big ones, like making sure to have fast passes set up and a plan of attack.
One big thing that we've recently enjoyed is mobile ordering for the counter service restaurants. You can put in an order on your phone and then just go up to the window to pick it up when it notifies you it's ready.
My only other tip would be to roll with whatever comes and find your enjoyment there no matter what. We've been in rain, crowds, heat, etc.. and it's always a conscious decision to still have the best time. Ride all the rides, eat all the food, and don't stress if you don't get to everything or if something changes in your day. You can always come back. Disney makes it easy to enjoy yourself in every kind of situation. Don't hesitate to ask a cask member if you have a question or want a suggestion, they are always super cool especially if you are nice to them.

This is good advice. You have to take what comes your way, and not get discourged if it doesn't. Several years ago we tried to time all the rides via the planners, and realized that it wore us out and it didn't increase our "fun factor". We always go in January, and a few years ago it was smaller crowds. Well, the last 2 years have been anything but, and when the Magic Kingdom gets full, it ain't no fun.

Going in the early morning and late at night are the best things to do if you stay on site - just go back and chill at your resort, or go see the shows. Plus on your feet for 14 hours is going to catch up to you.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Wear your Fitbit or smart watch to the parks and blow out your previous records for steps and miles.

My kids have them and we walked 56 miles in 10 days. Even with all the food we ate we still came back 3 pounds lighter on average.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:Trader Sam's is an Incredible Tiki bar , get there early seating is extremely limited.
Has any one ever used ridemax.com to put together their daily plan. Absolutely amazing program for scheduling your vacation time in the park literally down to the minute.
Also make sure to make dinner reservations otherwise you will be eating sitting on the sidewalk from a take out window. Reservations can be made up to 60 days in advance, maybe even 90 days.
It's so nice to walk in past all the people hoping to get a table and get seated and relax after smashing it all day . Trust me on this .

Sam's place is awesome, only discovered it two years ago.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Learn how to use those fast passes and how many you get, as it's not always clear (you get more than 3 a day).
When a ride is saying there are no fast passes soon just keep refreshing it and usually one can pop up.
Make sure to use those fast passes for princess meet & greets & Fairyland Hall, the line may look short but we got stuck in one for a long time.
EDIT: LOTS of time meeting princesses and characters with a almost 3 year old. Which reminds me, take your kid before they hit 3 because they're free.
Meet Disney characters @ Big Top at Pete’s Silly Sideshow. You can show up usually 10 minutes before it opens and get within the first 3 people.
We were first once and Daisy, my daughter's fav, opened the door and led her by the hand all the way in....she still talks aboot it!

God bless you sir. Whenever I walk past a huge line and see it's for a charcter meet and greet, I see less people who are in ques for the rides.

#63 4 years ago

For you DVC members, are you overall satisfied with the program? I've thought about it from time to time, but I never can make the #'s work.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Shit man we were there in May and there weren't any short lines for anything!
But yeah she was too young for a lot of the rides, height and scars, so I was keeping spaces open for you I guess

I've been there when mine were younger. We waited in a few lines, then we learned to do the dinner meet and greets.

I was just there the third week in January, and there was not one day where it was "light". Well - Epcot during the week wasn't too bad, but my wife had us going to MK on a Saturday.

Bad idea.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I still like epcot but it's a lower key thing for sure.you hit a couple rides then walk around the ring which time a good way to spend a day, grab some food in Morocco etc.
Come to think of it, it was getting dark by the time we were coming to the end and it looked like the party was l getting going.

Epcot should be better once the new attractions get built. I do love walking around the International Village - we were there last Sept for the Food and Wine Festival. While it wasn't as good as I expected, it was still interesting to do.

That Figment ride is just horrible - I know there is some history on it, but ugh!

Out of all the parks, I see the least amount of kids at Epcot.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I found MGM, er, Hollywood def needed some improvement, but if course they hadn't opened star wars when I was there. Although you wouldn't know it by the marching storm troopers every 2 goddamn minutes.i do always enjoy some muppets though.

For some reason, the Muppets show just hits that part of my brain that fondly remembers watching the original show as a kid. I know it was the last thing that Henson did, and he's there. It really does capture some of the magic of the ITC show, that nothing has since has.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Went to an Epcot employee after hours party many years ago and it rocked. Wasn’t a Disney sponsored event. Police broke it up around 4am. Loved meeting people from all over the world. Especially Lerna. Will never forget it!

The Rose and Crown always seems to draw the rowdy ones. They're always getting smashed at that place...don't think I've seen any of the other bars in the other lands quite like it.

I've been to the UK many times, and I have to say that the Rose and Crown really does emit those pubs. Kind of like how Raglin Road does in Disney Springs.

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

We are overall satisfied with the program and have been members for about 10 years.
You can use this timeshare anytime of the year you want. Not locked in for a fixed week. DVC works on a point system. You can get a studio, one bedroom, two bedroom or 3 bedroom grand villa depending on resort. If you only want to stay at the deluxe resorts and are going at least one trip every other year or more I would say you are a good candidate for DVC.
As far the numbers go most of the deluxe resorts rack rates get in the $500 a night range. So a week can be north of $3000 just for lodging. That adds up pretty quick. It would probably take you 6-7 trips with DVC to break even on the points you bought. After that you are just paying your yearly dues which for us is about $1000 a year for the amount of points we have. At this point we stay at the deluxe resorts for value All Star resort prices or even a bit less. This works for us but we are a bit older and the nice resorts actually mean a lot for us. A younger family who is never at their resort because they are commando park people might not care as much about the resort they stay at. It is also nice to walk to Magic Kingdom while staying at Bay Lake Tower. Or walk to Epcot from Boardwalk or Beach club.
Overall I am a big fan of DVC but it is a better program if you can plan your trips almost a year out due to your booking windows. Which are 11 months out at your home resort and 7 months out at all other DVC resorts. So you have access to all the DVC resorts which is nice.

For the annual dues of $1000 - how many points do you get for that?

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

If you like to say in the deluxe resorts it's worth it. We bought into the polynesian in resale for $140/point. I think the retail is now $235/point. After 8 trips, you'll break even and then it's just the dues. For our family of 5, it's completely worth it. I wish we'd have done it sooner since we go every year.

We go twice a year, but I've heard that Disney changed the rules on reselling. So is it better to just look at one of the older contracts for sale and purchase that? We enjoy staying in the moderate resorts more than the Deluxes, but wouldn't say no to them either.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

John’s hand fell off during our show,” anonymous user ColtsMcgree wrote alongside a photo of the animatronic — named "John" — missing his right hand during the 1900s portion of the rotating theater attraction. [quoted image]

Poor Carousel is having some back luck latley. This and it had that crazy kid jump on stage a few weeks ago.

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Personally I'm hating all of the paid events that they keep adding that cut hours out of park time. Halloween parties starting in the third week of august. It stinks when you book a trip and then you find that 3 nights of the trip have magic kingdom closing at 6.
I miss the days of extra morning hours every day for people staying at the resorts.

We were at AK this Jan and one of our favorite rides was not operating (Primeval Whirl). At 8PM, we see the lights come on and go over there. Turns out it was operating at 9PM for a "special event". I get that they are trying to make $, but I hope they ratchet that crap down.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

WDW is no longer (if it ever was) a place to just go and play it by ear. If you want to hit every major attraction on your visit and minimize waiting in line, you have to use every advantage in the book to help. Make FP+ reservations MONTHS in advance, use their on-line My Disney app so you can make last minute additions, make dinner reservations (at the better restaurants) weeks in advance and months for the best places. Also, know the park layouts and use something like Touring Plans to understand how to move through the parks and which rides to hit first, second, third, etc. And most of all, don't sleep in. Be at the park 30 minutes to 1 hr before opening to enjoy the coveted rope drop short lines, which last for about 45 minutes - not much more, and only if you are at the front of the pack by being there early!
Some feel this takes all the fun out of the trip, and to a certain extent it does. But if you have made the decision to enjoy WDW and are spending the small fortune to go, why not experience your full money's worth? I personally love WDW and would go twice a year if I could afford it and stay on the monorail route. As it is, we try to go every few years. Friends of mine that live near Orlando have annual passes and stop by many times a year when crowds are small, so the need to do everything in a couple of days is not an issue for them.
I hope WDW doesn't change the FP system and require more event type entrances. That would suck and might possibly be the final straw to stop me from going. Its already expensive enough!

Agreed. Anyone that attends on a 8+ crowd day during the hours of 11-7 is just asking for headache. If you're going to do that, spend those hours going to the shows or the lesser wait line attractions. Years ago we were commando park visitors, but those years are gone. We hit what we can, go in the morning and late evening, and then chill during the day.

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

I love going to Disney world and have gotten really, really good at riding everything and never waiting in line more than 15 minutes for anything, ever. My methods are much different than the "normal" advice you will hear. But the great thing about Disney world is how it has such broad appeal and so many ways to approach it.
Last trip, my kids actually begged me to wait in a long line for seven dwarfs mine train because they had never had a chance to experience the games in the queue.
Disneyland in California has a whole different system but it's also good as long as you know how to use it. We were there over a crowded weekend, didn't wait in lines. Once you learn how to do it, it's a beautiful thing.

You do miss some of the production and anticipation if you keep getting fast passes all day. 7D has some of the best. Avatar is pretty good, but not 3 hours worth of good.

#140 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Getting rid of fastpass like that would not help profits. Right now, I have a chance at 3 fastpasses (plus in the app). If I have to pay $10,000 for two people to have them for a day, I won’t do it. So the only thing I could do is stand in the long line for every ride. I wouldn’t want to even go at that point. So yes, it would cut down on the lines, but all the money I would spend there would also be gone.
Unfortunately the price hikes are not cutting down the number of people going, so really there is no solution for them. Insanely popular, and insanely expensive (I always stay in a Disney hotel, and take the magic express, which means every dime I spend on the vacation goes to them).

They want people to not wait in line so you're spending $ on food and merch, but they are riding the hog right now because of the economy. Once that dips, they are going to be in a cash crunch world of hurt. I'm surprised they are investing so much into the parks and hotels, but I agree that they need another park.

They did just purchase 300+ acres adjacent to their west boarder. We'll have to wait and see - but as much flak that Eisner got (justififabily), he is responsible for the two newer parks.

The one thing that pisses me off is their plans to sell alcohol at the MK. Walt was expressively against that. EPCOT is a literaly booz festival now, and alcohol is easy to get at the other two, but MK should be left dry.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

This will never happen. The only thing that could slow Disney down would be something like the virus in China. The people that want to go that are driving the decision (aka mostly Mom's) will do ANYTHING to go. It doesn't matter if the lines are 10 hours, costs $10k, etc, it's irrelevant...there is no logic that will change the mind of a mom that has nostalgia for it.
The appeal of Disney is like 99% nostalgia and like 1% actual performance, which is why nothing ever effects it. There could be a hurricane, every ride broken, and every restaurant closed and the park would still be full of families.

I don't agree at all. They have suffered before, like when 9/11 happened. Their demand is elastic like anything else. Once the economy dips, they will feel it.

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I totally agree that Disney let's the fast pass crunch the standby line. When I was there a few weeks ago, I saw it firsthand on Aerosmith roller coaster. For every 45 fast pass guests, they let in 15 guests on the standby line. The wait for the ride at the time, was around 60 minutes. Without fast pass, that becomes a 15 minute wait. Tower of Terror was the same thing, 60 minute wait that would be a 20 minute wait without fast pass.
Just look at what has happened to the standby line at Flight of Avatar (I think I messed up the name), it's constantly long due to all of the fast passes handed out. I got to ride in in November, on my 3rd trip in 2019 to Disney...I got lucky too, wait got down to 45 minutes and I quickly ran over there to hop on it.
I won't wait hours in line to go on a ride...no ride is worth it. My fear with Rise of Resistance, is that they will make it, where unless you have a fast pass, it'll take hours to get on the ride.
Here's what I would do to help fix the parks:
Magic Kingdom: Bring back Snow White ride and Mr. Toad's wild ride. With Stitch being closed, come up with something to go there. The Monsters laugh-in should be changed to something else...I miss the old time traveler show they had there. Still needs another completely brand new ride...just don't know where to put it.
Epcot: Fix Imagination.
Mary Poppins & ratoutille (spelling) will help with the crowds in the park.
MGM: Need 2 more rides in Star Wars land. Build an Indiana Jones land off of Sunset Blvd. Add 1 more ride to Toy Story Land.
Animal Kingdom: Add another land to the park. Build 1 more ride in Avatar.
A couple additions to the parks, will definitely help out with the lines. I can't wait to see what the lines look like at MGM after Mickey's Train opens up. Hopefully it shortens everything else up a bit.

I'll tell you what that have to address and that is the damn scooters. I have never seen it so bad. Look - if you are handicap or have a disability and in a wheel chair, I'm moving and waiting on you. Take your time- it's all good. Totally cool.

If you're just too fat or lazy to hump it like the rest of us, go somewhere else. The bus rides are horrible now, and the dark rides have to stop all the time. Disney needs to address this, because it's only getting worse. Plus they run into people's feet and legs, it's a nightmare now.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Oh I forgot to mention, the suggestion to avoid rope drop only applies to wdw in Florida.
In Disneyland, rope drop is a must, due to the first come first serve fast pass system.
But the plus side in Disneyland is that they generally have late hours and you can do both early morning and late hours by taking a little nap in the afternoon since all the hotels are so nearby.
Also, no need to stay onsite at Disneyland.

Lots of great tips! I agree with most of them. I hated when my wife scheduled sit down meals. We don't do that as much anymore, but the other thing I am strating to experience is fatique. At 49, I can't commando it like I used to. We also love to resort hop.

Why never rope drop at WDW?

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Mainly I don't recommend rope drop at wdw because the vast majority of people will not do both rope drop and late night. And frankly, late night is simply better.
Plus at rope drop, people wait in line to get into the park before it opens. I'd rather show up a bit later and not have to do that, although there sometimes can still be a backup at security.
Also, this is my own thing, but when you go at rope drop, there are short lines which slowly get longer and longer as the day goes on. At night, the lines get shorter and shorter as the night goes on, and I just like that a lot better.
At Disneyland it's different because you can easily do rope drop and late night both in the same day. Plus it just has generally longer hours on the whole.

Makes sense. For me, the parks at night are the best time ever, especially the MK and Pandora. A warmer summer night going them with low to modest crowds is as good as it gets.

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

Disney is to much work now. It doesn't feel like vacation.

It is more of an active vacation, that's for sure. But I'm not one to go to a destination, lay down and drink in the sun. I know I'm probably in the minority in that.

#180 4 years ago

What I am always amazed at is their operations. Just the capital outlay itself they do is mind boggling. The coordination and logistics of all the building, renovation, and construction. I know it isn't cheap, but they must spend a fortune on those parks and resorts. Just the landscaping itself at Port Orleans probably costs a ton.

The cleaning, the labor, those new floats they just built (that dragon one is impressive)....they charge a shit load of $, but they spend it too.

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

When someone tells you it doesn't really matter when you go...
Remember this...
[quoted image]
That's the 2+ hour sign... to get INTO A STORE
Taken today..
Oh and this...
[quoted image]

It isn't so much the wait times for attractions, it's meandering through the crowds that I hate.

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Couldn't agree more, and I'm a huge WDW fan. I think it's going to be very interesting to see how Universal's current offerings impact WDW 20-30 years down the line. Many, many people who visit WDW now do so due to memories of their visits when they were young. It's the sentimental effect of wanting to share that 'magic' they felt with their own children... and lots of kids these days are forming more of those memories at Universal. Anecdotally, I've helped countless people plan Orlando trips from the UK, and I'd say that 90% come back saying they enjoyed Universal more than Disney due to how much easier / more relaxing it is and how much less time they spent waiting in lines.

I don't agree with this, not entirely. I see many people walk around without kids, ourselves include. It's a resort, where guests are placed first and the attention to detail is second to none. My first visit was when I was 40 years old, so I have no nostalgia build up.

I've been to Universal, and it's fine for what it is - they have done a good job at building that park up. But in the end, it's just another theme park. Having said that, I have not had a chance to visit any of their hotels, so I can't speak to that experience.

#200 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I have my future trips lined up.
First week of March, doing Universal Studios and 1 day at Epcot. Family trip...I don't have to pay...thank god!!! Epcot dinner is La Hacienda de San Angel.
Mid-April, doing Disney for 5 days for the Star Wars races (all 3). Doing Hoop Dee Doo Revue, Restaurant Marrakesh, Shula Steakhouse (I may get dinner at garden and flower festival booths), Boma and Flying Fish. I saved Flying Fish for last, so I can grab some snacks at the Boardwalk Bakery for my flight that night. Staying at Caribbean Beach...first time there.
First weekend in November, doing Disney for 5 days for Wine & Dine races (all 3). For this trip, I don't plan on making any dinner reservations...just going to eat around the world every night for dinner. Staying at Port Orleans - Riverside...first time there, but I have stayed at French Quarter twice.
2nd weekend in January, doing Disney for 8 days for the Dopey Challenge (all 4 races). I will have dinner reservations for every night there. Staying at Gran Destino Tower @ Coronado Springs...I stayed there this past November.
Haven't booked April '21 for the Star Wars races, I haven't found those dates yet.
For the Universal Trip, my sister-in-law went through a travel agent. The travel agent said, she is finding that people who are going to Universal and staying on property, are starting to switch all their future Disney trips into Universal trips. Complaints she is hearing is that it takes too long to get from place to place, the lines are too long, picking fast passes 60 days out is a hassle, and 180 day window for restaurant reservations is a pain in the ass.
I totally agree with the travel agent said. Yesterday, I hit my window for fast passes for April. I fly in Thursday, doing Magic Kingdom. Everything except Seven Dwarfs mine train was available. Friday, doing MGM. I'm hoping they keep a 9am opening, if they make it 8am and I have at least the B corral, I'll be able to get there and get a boarding pass for Resistance. Slinky Dog coaster, Millennium Falcon, and Mickey's rain were all booked. Saturday, doing Epcot, Frozen was booked up. Sunday, doing Animal Kingdom. Everything was available, first fast pass is 3pm. I did that on purpose, this way I have enough time after the race to get my picture taken in front of the castle, Gruman theater, and Millennium Falcon, as well as grab lunch at 50's prime time cafe. Monday, doing MGM. Everything was available. I picked up Mickey's train, first available pass was 1:25pm. I plan on getting a boarding pass for Resistance. My Magical Express leaves at 7:15pm, so I hope I don't pushed back too late.
I think Disney might be a little short sighted right now. Once Universal gets that 3rd park up and running, that definitely will eat into the crowds at Disney. Between people upset that they are spending top much and not getting enough for it with Disney, and with Universal having the latest and greatest, I think you're gonna start to see Disney take it on the chin a little.
IMO the worst thing Eisner did was introduce fast pass. The whole reason why they introduced it, is people were complaining about the crowds and long runs, which hurt their attendance. The problem is, none of the rides are designed to handle an overcrowded park. Look at Haunted Mansion...that's the perfect theme park ride, it is constantly moving. If memory serves me correct, I believe it's designed to handle around 3,000 people per hour. When the park is overcrowded, there isn't enough time for every guest to ride it.
I know I said it before, but I'm so in favor of just killing the fast pass system. Tron coaster will help with the crowds in Magic Kingdom. If you're not at rope drop, I wouldn't even try to get on it without a fast pass. Same thing with Guardians in Epcot. For Resistance, I don't know how they'll ever be able to get away from the boarding pass. It can't stay operational.
*Little note, last time I did Hoop Dee Doo Revue was around 35 years ago when I was around 7.

I'm jealous.

We have our next visits planned in Sept at Port Orleans, but I am waiting for my first DVC membership to close, and if it does we will change to a DVC resort. In Sept we do the wine and food festival. In January next year we will have a 10 day vacation, probably at the Wilderness, our favorite resort.

You'll love Port Orleans, that is the one we have been to the most. It's the best of the moderates IMO, and you have to check out Yehaw Bob - well worth it.

#206 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

When are you going in September? We are taking the kids for their one and only Disney trip at the end of September.
Growing up next door to Disney, I don’t really care about going, as I despise heat and humidity, but it will be a great trip for everyone else, which I am excited about.
Current plans are 4 day park hopper, Legoland, Possibly Universal, and a couple of family visits.

Probably mid Sept, just my wife and I go down for the food and wine festival. You'll have a great time, but it's expensive. My kids loved Universal.

#207 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Which DVC did you buy into? We bought 200 points at the polynesian last year and now it's our annual 9 night August trip. We stayed at Riverside a few years ago. I loved the theming and thought everything was beautiful, but it's just too big. We ended up in one of the furthest houses and it was a half mile round trip walk to get our mugs at the main building. It's an enjoyable walk, just not with 5 full mugs. The same when i'd just want to bring breakfast back to the room. Our last couple stays at the Polynesian have been great. I like how it's more compact with easy access to the TTC and boat/monorail to MK. It'll be really nice once they finish the path from MK to the floridian so you can walk all the way back from MK.

We bought into the Wilderness (Boulder Canyon). We stayed there a few years ago, but every year we go back and visit. There is just something about that main lobby that allows me to "exist", free of life if you know what I mean. Back in Jan - kids and wife went on their own tours, I took the monorail from Shades of Green (great resort by the way) to MK, and then a boat to the Wilderness. I found a nice chair by a fireplace on the 3rd floor, and just read for 4+ hours. I haven't done that in years.

We bought 200 points, hopefully it closes and we get the points before the 7 month window comes up. Since Shades is so close to Poly, we hung out there a lot this year. That side bar tucked into the corner is another must see (trader joes or something?). Guess we should have bought into DVC years ago when the points were a bit cheaper, but buying into a "timeshare" is still something I keep asking myself if I'm crazy.

Funny thing is, many of the DVC folks I talk to, don't even go to the theme parks that often.

#209 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

How did you take the monorail from Shades of Green?

Walked the 10 minutes to Poly. It's right across the street from the resort.

1 week later
#214 4 years ago

I wouldn't be going to WDW right now....

#226 4 years ago
Quoted from wamoc:

Articles are saying that Iger is stepping down, and Chapek (head of parks) is now the CEO. Should be interesting

That ain't good.

2 weeks later
#236 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

ill never book there again, have to walk a half mile from room to car. Horrible setup for such a nice place.

That is what makes it great. It's isolated which means that not so much pedestrian traffic. It's my favorite resort.

#240 4 years ago

One case now near Orlando, sure it's only a matter of time. Can't believe that France hasn't closed yet.

#250 4 years ago

Only the parks are closing, not the resorts.

Hell, If I had a trip planned, I would go anyway and just resort hop.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

Actually the Disneyland resorts are only staying open until the 16th, to give guests a chance to plan alternate travel and escape.
Also, every time I go there are no pinballs, and to get from my resorts to ones that have pinballs requires careful bus planning and multiple hops. They're always at resorts with no secondary transportation like Animal Kingdom Lodge.
Anyone ever watch any backstage footage? A local has made the news lately by repeatedly infiltrating Disney (climbing Big Thunder Mountain, touching Everest's yeti and escaping on dirtbike, putting out to Discovery Island, River Country, etc.) This is the only possible upside I can see to Disney World itself closing.

I've seen his youtube posts. I don't know why Disney doesn't prosecute him, I get that the PR might be bad, but his ability to keep doing this is hurting their image and brand IMO.

#254 4 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

He's got a great tale of his two prosecutions by Disney up there, but it's likely to be updated with an additional claim from Universal now that he raged Volcano Bay. The second time he was spoken to by a senior security official, a straight shooter, who told him that he couldn't care less for such hijinx and considers it a minor nuisance. He did allude to an elite team of three people online who have to scramble to make sure this doesn't affect the park's reputation, on call 24 hours a day.
The non-legal response that he revealed lately seems a lot worse for PR, as Disney attempted to stop his activities by going after those close to him and applying threats and pressure to them instead. The only thing they can do is add single minor charges one at a time to him, and only with a heap of eyewitness testimony.
In the time since I posted initially, he's already made bold his vague plans to take advantage of this downtime, as well as solicit any media others might garner. I suspect if he really wanted to capitalize on things he'd solicit political donations to break into the Hall of Presidents and administer a devastating wedgie to shock the nation.

The issue is that he now decreases the confidence in WDW to contain security risks. Knowning how Disney protects thier assets, I'm sure it's a matter of time. I believe in more drastic measures similar to trespassing on railway property, but I'm not the CEO.

1 week later
#266 4 years ago

The Disney Machine must just be hemorrhaging, especially the billion dollar WDW resort.

1 week later
#278 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

We need a wide deployment of rapid covid-19 tests. No one is going to want to go to Disney world or anywhere else if they think they're putting themselves and others at risk.

I don't believe that. There is a small percent of the population that wouldn't care.

I think Disney will open this summer, although it will be small launches up until the parks open.

#293 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Your mind sWould be blown reading the disney forums... ppl just want to go.
The levels of change being discussed is monumental in terms of what the company is considering in an attempt to open. I still think they’ll lag normal businesses etc. its just too much to try to unwind all their crowd/density aspects.
Touringplans is feeding the mentality that everyone wil flock back too with their crowd estimates. I think they are completely underestimating how far reaching the unemployment and business slowdowns will be.

They'll do a soft launch that will eventually peak with the park opening, which will no doubt be tied to bringing the staff back on line.

1 month later
#306 3 years ago

I am thinking of booking a late July trip. We just bought into DVC, so figured what the hell.

#325 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

ooohhhh..... which resort did you get points from?
My family bought back in 1993 (we've bought more over the years as more resorts opened up)

Boulder. Should have done it years ago.

#326 3 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

How could anyone enjoy Disney World wearing a face mask for the entire duration. Especially in the middle of a muggy summer? I can’t stand wearing one longer than it takes to go grocery shopping.

No big deal really. Plus a "mask" can mean different things like face shields from what I've read. We have reservations for Sept, but might go in July if they open.

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

My wife and I are taking our daughters and our 4 nieces and nephews to Grand Floridian at Disney World in mid July. As long as they’re open, we’ll be going.
It’s good to have something to look forward to, masks or no masks.

Apparently, they have canceled bookings for the first week in June.

#342 3 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Regardless of what political side you're on, the math does not lie. .14% of the entire state of New York has passed away (and still climbing). So unless you think the entire state has had it, that's pretty concerning from a death rate perspective. If the entire US got infected in the same manor as New York, that's 460,000 people.
I don't think it's north of 1% or anything overall for the general public. But it spreads rapidly and puts a large number in the hospital. Enough that care should be taken not to spread it if it all possible.

You're right, data doesn't lie but it is easily manipulated. FL's death % is much much lower than NY with almost the same population. Obviously NY made a lot of errors and this information is starting to come out.

Sound management is key.

1 month later
#349 3 years ago

We got our park tickets for our Sept visit.

#365 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

People in Central Florida Appreciate the Visitors, and the Economic Help.
Right now, Disney is behind the scenes, a bit of a disaster.
I wont go into details, but family is upper HR.

That is an understatement. I expected more of this company.

#366 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That’s good. Using “song of the south” has been incredibly problematic for them for years. Good move.
Disney doesn’t need this bullshit they have enough problems. Why waste time and resources defending the theme of a splash ride?

Right on.

Hall of Presidents is next. Shut it down!

While they are at it, remove all statues and mentions of Walt Disney. Change the name of all the parks, and the company itself. Didn't he own slaves too? Or was he just a racist Nazi? I can't keep up.

3 weeks later
#398 3 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I just dumped all of my Disney stock. I don't see good things happening there in quite a while. Some of the threads that I've been following are painting some pretty terrible pictures for the future if things done clear up.

All reports seem to indicate they are really struggling and having internal disagreements. Not good.

#404 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

There is a lot of excess career management with nice salaries on the block next...They already thinned the park workers.
The economic impact on a city that depends on Tourism, and Tourism tax in its budget has issues.
However, its the Disney Bubble here in Orlando, so it isnt talked about.

It's funny, when this all started, many of us Disney fans thought they would lead the way. We had just become DVC members, and were confident that they would stay classy and do the right thing.

Now here we are, and almost every single move they have made has been a disappointment. Obviously leadership is lacking, and the old ways of running the business are long gone. IDK what the future brings.

#409 3 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I'm actually hoping that this process gives the company a swift kick in the ass. I think they've been going down the wrong path for a while now. Cost cutting in areas that need money and spreading themselves too thin.

I know he wasn't the best "ideas" man, but Eisner (and Frank Wells) were the best leadership team the company has had since Walt passed.

I know everybody fawns over Iger, but I personally believe he has been a f'in disaster from a long term sustainability perspective, and his poor choices, leadership, and succession planning will be felt for decades.

#414 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Iger's house of cards is collapsing before our eyes. Even before all this covid stuff started, look where star wars was... It's a huge mess. Iger's obsession with China is backfiring in a massive way. Hong Kong looks more and more like a liability each day. The company wasn't necessarily in great position before the shutdowns considering how leveraged they were, and now there can't be any way forward without massive layoffs and significant restructuring.
But hey... At least they have money to retheme splash mountain. Really shows where their priorities are.

You are dead on. The quality of the parks has gone to shit. It is literally a part time job planning for a trip to WDW, even pre covid. Now it's even worse. Compare that to Universal where you can literally wing it. Not WDW, you have to plan like you're about to embark on an ascent of Everest.

#415 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Minimal Cost.....People have been complaining about it for years....since it opened.

People complain about a lot of shit. What's next, rethemeing the Hall of Presidents? Actually they f'd up when they changed Pirates of the Carribean, another useless move all to revise history and make sure everyone is 'comfortable". But those issues are a drop in the barrel compared to all of the other misfires. Just the DVC alone has been a clusterfuck for the last few years. Rivera restrictions? Now that isn't selling? Yeah, no shit.

#418 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Rides change all the time, along with consumers.....Do you see the same rides as it opened?
20,000 leagues was a decision about cost and long lines. many disagreed.
Mr. Toad. The Emporium, Mars, Segway, and on...Not all are political, or SJW.
Many are to believe they are driving new traffic.
Universal does the same. Back to the Future Gone, Jimmy Neutron, Jaws, Ghostbusters, Twister, Alfred Hitchcock,
all changed for reasons NOT related to Politics.....

There is a lot of controversy on some of those changes, especially the Disney ones.

But I get your point. Fair enough.

#450 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

We went to WDW for 2 weeks in 2009, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 with our sons. Every year seemed to get more and more crowded and less and less fun. When I started going to WDW with my wife (then gf) in the mid 90's, we paid around $200 each for annual passes. They start at what, about $1,000 now? I realize it's been 20+ years but dang thats a big jump. My kids still love WDW and we will keep going for them, but it has gotten miserable with long lines for everything. Rides, food ,shows, park admission. I don't know what the solution is, but i almost need a vacation from my vacation when we return home from WDW lol.

They want as many people to get into the park as possible, so they have been making the offers much more attractive during the off seasons. I can remember going in Jan and Sept, this was the off season. Not any more.

WDW is a great experience. We became DVC members finally after so many years. The resorts are second to none. But the park experience is wearing thin. Many DVC members just do resort stays, which now I am starting to see the value in. Port Orleans is just beautiful for a moderate, and Animal Kingdom and the Wilderness are just marvels. But they are starting to lose focus. The Rivera placed right where it is just ruins Carribean Beach. Whoever thought that was a good idea placing it there should be run out of town.

We went to Universal for the first time a few years ago, and while it wasn't Disney, it was still a lot of fun and stress free.

2 weeks later
#455 3 years ago

I'm going down in a few weeks. It doesn't bother me so much if the park hours are shorter as long as the crowds aren't crazy. I"m guessing in September it won't be too busy yet.

#462 3 years ago
Quoted from Pedleboy:

Right now we are still booked to arrive November 7th. There is no way we are going though. Does anyone know the runs for canceling? We can get the hotel money back but what about tickets? We booked this year and November specifically to try and not go during crowded times. There is no way were going next year. With the 50th anniversary and hopefully COVID being over, it's going to be nutz.
D.

Call Disney. Shit changes all the time. We just got the "make your final payment or we'll cancel your reservation". We called them and they said no problem, take another two weeks to get it to us.

1 week later
#472 3 years ago

I just purchased my first DVC contract a few months ago. Only bought 180 points, but I would recommend to use the Dis Boards for your research. Everything you need (and more) is there. There is a file on that forum with a very detailed cost benefit analysis. It is a quite impressive.

#475 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

My apologies for my ignorance, because I live there.
Condos, and Houses are renting for $60-$100 a night, within 20 minutes of Disney Front Gate.
What is the Advantage of Disney Club/Points/Monthly fees?
No disrespect meant, I honestly dont know the short answer to this.

But they ain't on Disney property. Big difference for the non locals.

I did it once, will never do it again.

#477 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I recently looked into DVC. Seemed the time to have done it was 20 years ago.
Cheaper for me to stay at a moderate resort 3 times a years with my annual pass than doing DVC.

A moderate will be about break even, but it will tip the scale when you consider selling the asset. If you want to say in Values, then it's a no brainer. But a moderate 3x, that will probably be a better financial value if you plan to stay in studios or 1 bedrooms.

#479 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

We’ve rented houses three times in a development near the edge of animal kingdom and it was just fine. Even had our own pool.

But it ain't a Disney pool!

I know the places around Disney to stay are pretty good deals, I even stayed in the Hilton twice in Disney Springs (which technically is on Disney property).

The DVC resorts are a completely different level of leisure. Many DVC members go JUST to the resorts, not even to the parks. Really depends on what it is you want to do. If you are looking for the best value, don't do DVC. It caters to a different type of vacationer. My family loves the resorts, which is why we bought in. You can pick up a few points for a few grand too, it isn't that expensive.

#488 3 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

I don't know anything about DVC so I can't add anything to the conversation. But I know a fair amount about WDW vacations, having been there multiple times over the past 10 years or so. Biggest rule in my book - stay on WDW property, preferable on the monorail route. It makes getting to and from Magic Kingdom and Epcot simple and quick. With the prices you will be paying, you want (at least I do) to maximize your time in the parks, seeing attractions, doing rides, etc. You don't want to spend any more time than necessary on buses or travelling to and from parks.
Second rule - never sleep in! Get to the park at least 45 minutes before it opens. That way you can hit the big attractions several times before the sleepy heads show up. And finally, make all of your fast pass and dining reservations as soon as you can - to the minute! Literally minutes after the 2 or 3 month window opens, fast passes for the biggest attractions are already getting booked.
Note - with all of the Covid crap going on, WDW is doing things differently now and Fastpasses aren't being used according to what I have read. So none of the above advice may be valid any longer. I personally won't go back until everything is open and operating normally and the face mask requirement has been lifted. That's just the way I look at it, but it isn't a "magical time" if I have to wear a mask the whole day. Hopefully things get back to normal by next year!

It all depends. If you want that "magic" (hate that word), or the experience on what the resort has to offer, staying on property is a no brainier. I'll never not stay on WDW property. Even the value resorts are fun to stay in. If you only want to visit the parks, stay off site. The monorail route can get pretty backed up too, the busses are just fine, but it depends on what resort you are at (The Values, Caribbean, Port Orleans routes are painfull).

As far as DVC, I wish I would have bought in years ago, and as Max says, we could discuss it for hours/days. We bought at Canyon (Wilderness Lodge) because we love that resort. I'm thinking of adding on a small Old Key or Poly as the prices aren't too bad on those. But any of the DVC resorts are exceptional....except Rivera. That does nothing for me.

Never buy direct unless you want to waste money.

2 weeks later
#492 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

"In a press conference today California Governor Gavin Newsom said that the state continues to engage in 'negotiations' with theme parks in determining a reopening date."
It's starting to feel like these negotiations are hostile. Disney, Universal, Legoland, sea world, and six flags are all clearly frustrated and have been publicly signaling that they want to open ASAP.

Corps putting profits in front of people as usual.

#524 3 years ago

Just made a reservation for next month at AK.

#530 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I was told Animal Kingdom was closed when I tried to book.

The resort is closed but we are using DVC points. Apparently it is staffed, but minimally.

1 week later
#540 3 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

We have been going a lot lately, the rides have been walk on wait times. I do think Disney is taking a huge hit right now and its sad but as an anual pass holder who lives super close its been amazing for me and my family. We are moving soon so we are going as much as we can our last MO here.

They are secretly increasing the capacity, and the wait times show it.

1 week later
#547 3 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

Small world! I was at Hollywood Studios on Monday as well!
My wife and I just got back from a week-ish long trip. We went to all four parks the first four days, then we went to Universal/IOA for the following two days, and then back to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios for the final two days.
I know people say wearing a mask at the parks is bad, but it is worth it for these short wait times. I know it isn't fun and takes away from the experience in a way, but we rode everything we wanted multiple times. Wait times were frequently less than the posted time, many were walk-ons. It was a park experience that we'll probably never get again and I'm glad we went. Disney and Universal are both doing very good jobs of keeping people spaced out, encourage hand sanitizing before and after rides, and enforcing the masks.

We have our rescheduled trip in 3 weeks. Hoping the capacity holds out til then, although all of our Park days are M-Thur.

Mask or no mask, we'll be happy to be there.

#562 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Spice Road Table we hit for the first time a few years ago when we went with my parents. My Dad said it was his favorite meal ever at Disney (we have gone since 1979 when I was little and they still go 2-3 times per year with friends or my family ...except now with Covid) and we have gone to just about every restaurant. Outdoor venue with a roof, overlooking the lake and the food and service was amazing. Even my kids loved it and they can be a little picky with non traditional American foods. Second is Edison, a steampunk kind of place but really good food and a great place for a lighter lunch or dinner (dinner had entertainment). The third was recommended to me by a bunch of my in-laws who swore by it (one couple named it their favorite). Art Smith walked around to see everyone too. I had to be rolled out so careful how much you eat LOL
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/epcot/spice-road-table/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/disney-springs/edison/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/disney-springs/chef-art-smiths-homecomin/

Spice Road is very enjoyable. There are so many choices, but my list of favorites are:

Raglan Road in Disney Springs
Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness
50's Drive In at Hollywood Studios
Rose & Crown at Epcot

So many others, but these have the best memories and aura about them. Try to hit them ever time.

#565 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I agree on all of those (the scotch eggs at Rose & Crown are to die for)
Whispering Canyon can get too loud with all the kids. I have been told they toned it down but last couple times I went it was almost Chef Mickey's loud

It isn't like it was several years ago where the "rudeness", was at an all time high. It was a lot of fun back then, especially for the kids who got a kick out of yelling for ketchup. When we went in January, it was defiantly toned down unfortunately.

#566 3 years ago

Big layoffs announced. Guess it was inevitable, but lots of people impacted.

#577 3 years ago

Even Yehwah Bob at Port Orleans was let go. I get the logic of it, but it still hurts. We loved going to his show.

1 week later
#598 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Any confirmed case is supposed to undergo contact tracing to see where they’ve been and who they contacted. If Disney was in their recent history you can be SURE it would come up and be corroborated by others. But you’re right, I don’t believe Disney is doing any direct contact tracing themselves.

I'm going to WDW next week, and honestly...I have no concerns. Not sure about tracing, but they are going well beyond the norm to ensure safety.

As far as Disneyland, could care less.

#603 3 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

You should care as a fan of WDW. What do you think is driving all of the layoffs that are affecting every Disney park?? If Disneyland can't open, then WDW suffers even more.

I don't believe that is the case. They are run independently.

#607 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

This is still a pandemic ... I think the Governor is following the medical science, as opposed to most places, where the Doctors are being marginalized by the voices of commerce and capitalism.

Who's science is he following exactly? Look he couldn't open, even if he wanted to because of politics and his party. That is the reality. All this "tour WDW" is nothing more than a sham, a dog and pony show, a shell game, whatever you want to call it.

#625 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

Ya...ok. Everything is politics. Nobody could be doing what they think is right or what makes the most sense for a community as big as most countries. The cynicism is just so tiring .....
I sure miss Disneyland though
Looking forward to a Corona lite 2021

I agree. The cynicism is so tiring....

#628 3 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Run separately, but all units in the same division. Ever work for a global conglomerate? Unit B lost money, so we have layoffs. Happens all the time.

Not if those assets and generating a profit. You may be thinking of overhead, not in front line revenue generating employees. Talk about cutting off your nose to save your face.

Anybody that knows how Disney works knows that they are much more siloed that you would think. Leadership is centralized, but operations are much different. Regardless, I do feel for the operators of Disneyland, they have been viewed as the enemy by the Government for years, much longer before Covid. It's only a matter of time...

#637 3 years ago
Quoted from Stal8080:

We are a Disney family and can't wait to get back to the parks. Has anyone made a reservation staying at any resort in late 2021?? The website says there is no availability but I'm not sure they are even taking reservation that far out or they are legitimately booked that far out? Wife and I turn the big 40 next year so we wanted to head down around Nov. of 2021.
edit: Referring to WDW in Florida.

I don't think they open up reservations over a year in advance. They are not booked that far out, the only concern would be the DVC resorts due to the inability of us being able to use our points.

#646 3 years ago

Regardless of what data is correct or incorrect or who's science is correct or incorrect, the fact is Disney wants the parks open, but the last thing they want is to have national headlines on how they are spreading the disease. That would be a public disaster nightmare. The NYT even admitted recently that concerns or predictions that people made is not coming true when they planned reopening. WDW has the luxury of having a healthy partnership with the Government, while DL does not.

Basically, Disney has had to tread a very fine line here. The only thing I fault them for was the inexcusable silence they gave to the DVC Members, but that is likely more due to the Leadership. Overall, they have handled it the way they have had to. I applaud them for it and I'm visiting WDW in a few days.

#653 3 years ago

Looks like shit is heating up in CA. Sidhu is pissed.

#656 3 years ago

Disney released a strong statement and the unions are with them including the mayor. Here at WDW, the “field study” was unannounced and the few CMs I talked to said things are not sitting well with WDW about this secret shopper bull shit..

This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

#661 3 years ago

I'm at WDW now, and they really have done a fantastic job, both in symbolism and substance. It is much better than I could have imagined. It's very impressive at every level. The frustrating part for them is that they have shown they know what they are doing and have done it all over the world.

2 months later
#703 3 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

With each passing day I feel more and more like disney is doing everything possible to kill WDW.
Today they announced that they are ending magical express at the end of 2021. And extra magic hours are a thing of the past, replaced with 30 minute early entry for resort guests.
I'm glad I was able to enjoy WDW in the past, as it looks more and more like it'll never be great again.

This is a big blow. They have been making staying onsite less and less attractive for years now, let alone what they have done to DVC members. The ME was a stress free travel option for families and really was the start of the "magic" when you arrive at MCO.

This is not cool at all.....

#706 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I won't miss the "Not so Magical Express" as it was a nightmare and took forever. Plus that long walk on the baggage claim level to get there was not great when traveling with little kids or old parents. However the convenience of not worrying about how to get to the park resort was what made it worth it. No extra magic hours flat out sucks. I dont want to go to the park at 7:30am, I want to stay til 1 or 2am

I won't use Uber or Lyft where potentially some loser high on meth is driving my kids around Orlando's Interstate system.

Now I will need to use a shuttle and pay for that. And we know that Fast Past isn't coming back....really frustrating.

#711 3 years ago

That will be a clusterf#k as well. Long lines, bring all your backage on, then oh guess what....you get dropped off at Disney Madhouse Springs and now have to take a bus to your resort.

No thanks.

#715 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

I have taken trains all over the world including in China. Trains can be crowded. That seems to be the norm in most of the world ....
Car rental in Orlando is pretty cheap too.
I guess I'm just not that detoured by these things .....the definition of first World problems

Car rental does not make any sense as you have to pay for parking as well, and you get free access to the Disney busses. Glad that this isn't a deal killer for you.

#739 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Good case:
Florida Disney - open with restrictions in place and limiting attendance.
Cali Disney - closed
Infection rates in Cali 2x Florida.
Population Cali 2x Florida.
So what conclusion do I make??

I’m at WDW now. It’s pretty crowded and they are doing a fantastic job with COVID measures. Compliance is pretty good too.

#741 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Universal is even more restrictive right now.

Actually, I kind of like wearing masks and staying 6 feet from people down here. They should keep these rules.

#744 3 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Show us some pics of the crowds!

2F240632-B678-4E75-8F8F-3E5B0F5DCB8D (resized).jpeg2F240632-B678-4E75-8F8F-3E5B0F5DCB8D (resized).jpeg8F193742-A7EA-4CED-958A-C8F9C8D80412 (resized).jpeg8F193742-A7EA-4CED-958A-C8F9C8D80412 (resized).jpegA17B8D31-45BC-495F-86B4-1955AA6EE5B2 (resized).jpegA17B8D31-45BC-495F-86B4-1955AA6EE5B2 (resized).jpeg
#749 3 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

The only reason Disney World is so crowded right now is that they increased capacity and have been filling to or getting close to their new capacity because of the holiday travelers. Disneyland could absolutely open and keep people apart if they kept capacity down. We went to Disney World in July and it was far safer than even going to a grocery store.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Today is a holiday weekend so it will be busier. Overall except a few places that are always busy, it feels ver safe. One thing I noticed is very low scooter traffic, which tells me the high risk are staying home which is smart. WDW has it figured out.

#759 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I was implying that the crowds seemed unsafe regardless of Florida's covid numbers.
The park is filled with everyone flying in from everywhere.
Its my personal opinion. I want to go to Florida and visit the parks. But, those crowds scare me for now. Ill wait till 2022 when at least 25% of usa has shots.

I'm just curious...why are you so afraid when so many people have continued to live their lives safely? You have mentioned several times now that Disneyland has a certain % of non US travelers and that is the reason for it's closure....however I've done some digging and WDW traditionally has more non US residents.

I ask because it's interesting to hear from different people who live in different areas and.... it's almost like people are aggressively conditioned from what they get pushed for "news" or instructions from their local governments, and who they are living among - a hardline groupthink mentality. I mean this both ways from both sides as well, not just one.

It's a fascination psychological/classic conditioning experiment.

#760 3 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Does anyone know if there have been any major outbreaks tied specifically to theme/amusement parks? I haven't heard of any, but that doesn't mean there haven't been any. Plus it's probably a pretty hard thing to actually pin down.
Overall, I'm thinking that theme parks should inherently be pretty safe with respect to covid, and here's my thinking:
On the one hand, there is definitely exposure to a lot of people from who knows where at a theme park. And all of these people are touching things (handrails, ride restraints, etc). So, that is all certainly not good.
But, on the other hand, most theme parks are either completely or mostly outdoors. And, although you will come into contact with many people at a theme park, you are very rarely in contact with any one person for more than, say, thirty seconds. The exception here would be waiting in an attraction line, so hopefully those lines are socially distanced adequately.
As far as spreading the virus through touching things, that's a problem, but it's easily mitigated through use of hand sanitizer. Although it doesn't completely eliminate that threat.
My understanding (and I'm no doctor) of the virus is that it spreads mostly through close contact, indoors, for an extended period (like 15 minutes) with an infected person. And at a theme park, we really don't have that. So, overall, I'm feeling like theme parks should be pretty safe, at least in comparison to many other entertainment venues. Still not as safe as staying in your house though.

So the first thing to remember.... is how does the virus spread.

The virus that causes COVID-19 spreads mainly from person to person, typically through respiratory droplets from coughing, sneezing, or talking.

So indoor close contact is the biggest danger, but they are taking no chances with outdoor gatherings either...although it isn't as heightened as indoors. Here are WDW....many things have been done but here are a few highlights:

Masks must be worn above nose/mouth at all times except when stationary/eating and in the room
All lines, I mean ALL lines have 6 foot stickers where you stand with your party. Lines have been modified. Last night the line for 7D started over by the Little Mermaid attraction when we got in it.
Many restaurants are closed
Those that are open are pick up or spaced seating when your order is ready. They are heavily enforcing this.
Most theaters/indoor shows are closed
No parades, just unannounced cailvicades

#763 3 years ago

Easy answer....because despite all safety protocols i get the emails every Friday of the weeks covid results....in the 2 parks. WDW and Dland.
You be surprised how many employees are getting covid. Honestly I think its employees getting lax in there home and social environments, not on the job. But no one knows for sure.
Without giving out to much info because Disney isnt sharing this with the media they have to share it with the unions as part of the MOU agreements and contracts.
Last week there were 6 cases at Disneyland. Hotel, merch, maintenance, 2 in food service.
Over the past 2 weeks in Florida there has been 18.
We talk and share info between parks and our sister unions.
We need these damn shot programs to expand quicker than they are. I was by the Disneyland shot center in the old employee parking lot last week. Its going good, but damn slow. This should get quicker over the weeks ahead once we get past the 65 and older benchmarks.
The problem mostly is it still is a pandemic. Everyone one is getting a little to complacent and not seeing the big picture.
Sure, you can take a chance and go to Disneyworld, but do you need to go?
I mean, will life to be the same with your freedom if you dont go? Its just an amusement park.
There is a horizon here, get past this winter surge, get into spring numbers dropping, get into summer shot programs. And if were lucky by the fall get ready to open the park.

Interesting... thanks for sharing.

In the end, you gotta come out of the cave at some point. As long as your not a high risk person, life needs to go on. Like any other “opportunity”, people are using COVID as a political ploy, all along the spectrum.

#767 3 years ago

Wearing the mask isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Having said that, I would not come here if I was at high risk.

Checked into the Wilderness today for a few days. Had a lazy day by the pool and never came within 6 feet of anybody. Wish I could stay here year round.

#780 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Can't wait to get back to DW when the Tron ride opens. Now...when's that gonna be, you think?

At least 2022. Am at WDW now, the ride looks impressive but they will have 2 new hotels up before Tron.

#783 3 years ago
Quoted from bigsepe:

How are the waits? I heard they just constantly move the lines when able like space mountain takes 45 minute “wait” but you are continually moving the whole time?

The longest wait we had was 7d. Nothing else was over an hour.

#789 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Literally one of the most baffling posts ever. Likening a scientifically proven vaccine to Santa Clause? Literally lol. And getting your mom one and not you? That seems logical to you, huh? She takes the “risk” (literally there is statistically virtually none, but anyway) and you benefit from your local herd immunity. Classic.
Anyway, I really do feel for you Californians and the lockdown you’ve faced. It’s terrible. But the only way your governor is going to allow reopening of the economy is if enough of you get vaccinated. So why not give up your pride and the fight for “freedom” and just get the vaccine and help get real freedom for California. Freedom in the form of reopening Disneyland (and the rest of the economy, of course)!
But really. Just get it. It’s a small, safe thing that can finally get life back to normal. Really. It’s safe. It’s free. It’s not a conspiracy. Republicans. Democrats. People of good science of all politics have worked on this tirelessly.
And now I’ll officially stop the vaccine talk on my end. Would totally be open to a rational discussion via dm if anyone has any real doubts about the vaccine. Goodnight all, here’s to a better year!

Reality is what you make of it. Just got back from WDW, and it was awesome. I wish I could live there.

#795 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Not sure what the kid did, but at 16, I played Pluto a couple times.....People werent nice back then either. Poked, Kicked, Tail pulled,
cursed at....that was considered normal.

Those kids that have the character roles have a tough gig.

#815 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

I know the overzealous cultural sensitivity by Disney is sometimes just so reactive that it seems to offend people in its attempt to please everyone ......but the kids will never notice ...

That isn't true. If you visit the blogs and really SEE what the kids are saying, you would be surprised.

#822 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

They aren't getting rid of the Jungle ride just changing some of the appearance. I am confident they don't show that version you linked of Mickey mouse anymore.
I remember a commercial with Fred and Barney from the Flintstones hawking lucky strikes
Currently not a popular product placement ....
Things change. Ties get thinner and thicker. Pant legs etc... Sensibilities change. Unless it is really objectively representing a historical moment and offers a larger lesson or stand alone work of art (Huckleberry Finn) no reason not to change with the times.

Eh - I don't think it's that. If that was the case, Carousel of Progress would not be as popular as it is. It's that they have a so-so track record with updates. The worst of course is Journey into Imagination which was fucked over so bad, it's a laughing stock on every blog and board. Another abortion was Maelstrom. Imagineers when they work within their own creativity, can accomplish anything. When they are dictated by the suits, it's all downhill. It's a Small World is an example of a fantastic update as is Test Track.

I was on the Jungle Cruise ride last week - and while it's dated, it is classic. I think there is room for improvement, just as long as it sensible and not stupid shit like they have done with POTC over the years. That ride is losing its appeal.

#834 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Don’t worry about it.
I’m sure someone with good intentions will pull down the statues of Walt Disney and Mickey found at both Anaheim and Orlando. Statues of historical figures and cartoon characters have been perpetuating racism and insensitivity for years.

You are only going to anger the Pinside Poh Bah of PC Sensitivity Thought Control.

#853 3 years ago

Exciting breaking news.
You can go to Downtown Disney, stand in a 2 hour line to get in, then buy overpriced park food.
And the minions are flocking to this shit.

Must be shit ton of old grumpy men down there.

#859 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

Will the loop-de-loos please head back to the basement ....it was funny at first.... now you're scaring the kids. This is a family friendly thread. Besides, I think you left your meds down there. If you are lost Just follow the ghostly sounds of Odin whistling Zipedee-do-dah....

It's tough for them to be contained. They want to contaminate every thread to spread the misery.

#869 3 years ago

Looks like WDW is opening the floodgates on restrictions. Great news for all those who love WDW.

#875 3 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Hey Methos can you expand on this? What have you heard?

They have been opening up capacity levels, resorts, and now the masks restrictions are going to be changed. Hopefully more of the restaurants will be opening and then finally the rest of the resorts. It's baby steps of course but all pointing in the right direction. Now they just have to get back to finishing the rides in that WIPs.

They can put a hotel within a year, but a new attraction takes 2-3 years.

#884 3 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Thanks, these are all good signs! Hopefully park hours will return to normal soon as well. I've got a potential trip there this summer, so I've got my fingers crossed on that.
I hear what you're saying on building attractions. They seem to take their sweet time on those. And at this point they've put a bunch of them on hold or cancelled them outright, especially in epcot. I've never like epcot anyway.

EPCOT is much better now than 10 years ago. But you have to remember it opened when there was only the Magic Kingdom. I'm not a fan of getting away from the concept of what it originally was, but things change and the importance on learning and knowledge isn't as high right now....just entertainment!

#885 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I saw that, sorry but Im not connecting it to a ride Im familiar with.

Don't worry about, not many people know that it's there.

#887 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

My grand daughter loved the ride that simulates going to Mars. It actually makes you feel like you are really blasting off into space, not really but the kid thinks so. After we rode it 3 or 4 times and were leaving she saw a plane taking off and she said "look Poppy there goes the next people going to Mars". I wouldnt trade her for the world

That is probably Mission Space. There are two versions...an easy one and a hard one. I do the hard one, but only have one of those in me a day.

#912 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Memories of Disney being built as well, but more so Universal Studios, as I had a store across the street, and my Brother
was lead construction/contract attorney.
I sure wish I had taken pictures, (which werent allowed), but every couple days, Id walk the studios from ground clearing
to construction. [quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! How interesting - did your brother have any dealings with Roy back then?

1 week later
#937 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

[quoted image]

Looks like fun.

Masks are a must, and they enforce it very well. Without their diligence on it, you wouldn't be in Disneyworld.

#943 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

It’s fun. I just had gotten used to the gator and had it stretched where it didn’t bother me and you know I thing the mask is stupid and does absolutely nothing
But I love popcorn and they won’t let me eat popcorn as I walk.

They had to as everyone would be walking around stuffing a beer and turkey leg in their mouth with no mask on.

Look at the mask this way...forget Covid - it filters other dust and particles that can get into your lungs. Cleaners and other carcinogens that run rampart through a theme park. It's all good.

#944 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I saw her 3 weeks ago...hardest working cast member right there.

#954 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Hey you guys love Disney and I thought I would share. If you don’t want to see the pics just tell me

Love seeing them. 45 mins for Splash is actually pretty good. It's a great water ride, I never tire of it.

Don't forget to do the Country Bears - it's right where you are, no wait and an overlooked gem.

I give you props - I just surf pinside while I'm in line at WDW, I don't actually post!

#977 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I learned something today. You can bring your own food into the park. We saw some people having a picnic with sandwiches and stuff amd they told me. They let you bring it in. It’s a hassle to eat here now. Most restaurants are closed and you have to order online with a card and they call you when it’s ready and you pick it up and find somewhere to eat it.

They always have, at least for awhile. They also don't check bags anymore like they used to, I'm guessing their new scanners look for a certain type of metal based on what I saw.

Have fun! Feb is a great month down there....it gets crazy from here on out.

#978 3 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

I'm sensing that you are frustrated with your experience. But you shouldn't take it out on Disney because they are trying to operate safely in the middle of a pandemic. My wife and I went in September, we did our homework and were fully aware of the safety measures in place, the changes to dining, we researched what would be open and what wouldn't. We ultimately decided that we were still going to go and we had a blast. Low wait times and we felt safe, it was a fantastic experience. Sorry you felt the trip was a hassle. But we are trying to recover from a global pandemic, things could always be worse.

^ this. I've gone their twice during Covid times, and WDW knocked it out of the park. BTW, you probably don't want to visit the Disboards pages - they post pictures of "chins" on a regular basis and they get pissed if they see any face not covered.

Disney is doing what they need to and doing it well.

#993 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

Thanks for the pictures and reports of the current state of WDW. We missed our trip last fall and want to return at some point. We enjoy the restaurants on property so we will definitely wait until those are open and we can make reservations. Some of the best things of our prior trips are the use of the fast pass system and extra magic hours. Without the return of those in some form, and the fact our kids are getting older, we may not be back until the grandchildren years. I don't know if we would ever choose to go without kids but I'd love to see the Star Wars and Tron areas.

Don't wait...you only live once.

Most of the restaurants are open, and no idea when fast pass or extra magic hours will return, so I would enjoy it now.

#994 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Hope you enjoyed the pics. The grand daughter decided she wanted to go back to leggoland. She doesn’t have to wear a mask and we don’t have to wear one unless we are on a ride. She also likes the roller coasters

What other parks do you have lined up?

#1007 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

You mean Casey's Corner in Magic Kingdom? That's still closed?

It's closed. That's ok - there is still more than enough food in the park to give you colon cancer.

#1015 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:That was another thing. It was 80 degrees in Florida. The masks were miserable.
Also, and I’m wondering if anyone else who has been there lately agrees, the people who work at Disney are not even pleasant anymore. The happy happy is gone and it’s more like duck these people. And before
You say it was me, it wasn’t. I was doing my best to be polite because I was with the grand daughter.

They are doing the best they can. I agree with some of your sentiments, but they have no choice. The WDW team is doing a great job to keep the place at least open. Go to Disneyland to see the alternative.

#1021 3 years ago

One thing great about the parks is the lack of political bullshit. It's like people leave it at the door. I have heard of them not allowing political shirts in, but I saw one last month.....but out of a ton of people, only one dipshit isn't bad.

1 month later
#1038 3 years ago

Those turkey legs are disqusting. Look up how they are made. Worse for you than a pack of cigarettes.

1 week later
#1042 3 years ago

I don't get it. All I heard was how much employees were hurting because that are not back up to full staff...now they need to throw away some pretty important standards because they can't find labor?

Something does jive.

#1050 2 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

It also doesn't matter if Florida is fully open or not, Disney is a privately owned business and can do what they want.

That is 100% incorrect.

#1062 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

We just got back from DW went late March and it was great .The newer SW and Avatar rides were the longest waits but only 45 min .Rock n roll coaster 25 ish .Bunch of rides 20 or less .Just have to order food ahead of time they text you when foods ready n you can eat inside/outside .I wouldn’t hesitate, it was nice not bring jam packed on spring break .

It won't stay that way long.

#1069 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

As for the Fast Pass system. I hope Disney never brings it back.
These parks were designed to be explored. Not to walk in with a reservation system, like you have a doctor's appointment. Amazing shows like Country Bear Jamboree, Muppets 3D, Hall of Presidents, American Adventure, Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, etc, would start to have full shows. So many people skip right over this, because it's "fast pass this, fast pass that." I remember before the fast pass system, having to actually wait to get into these.
The Express Pass works well at Universal, because of how limited it is. I remember last time I was there on Aerosmith, it looked like for ever 45 people let in through fastness, they would let in maybe 15 people from the standby line. What was an hour wait, should've been no more than a 15 minute wait. Then, it would also free up the single rider line for, you know, actual single riders.

I'm sure it will come back at some point. People can't spend $ when they are in line.

Starting this summer, indicators are showing that the massive crowds will be back. The availability of DVC resorts is like nothing I've ever seen. I had to walk a Saratoga Reservation!!!! Sept will be madness once Ratatouille opens. The pent up demand is like a h bomb.

#1072 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

For me, my return date will be once they have rehired the entertainers. I love analyzing the rides, and the technology of Disney and how they create their illusions. But the most fun is being entertained all over the place. It was the people that made it all work for me. I think getting up to full speed on that will take some time, so this year is out. Possibly next February, but I'll have to wait and see.

You may be waiting a very long time.

#1075 2 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

My least favorite DVC ... though the lobster rolls and buffalo chicken paninis at the quick service restaurant were really good

This is our first time visiting SSR. Nice to have Downtown so close, I'll be at Raglan every night.

#1077 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

I agree with what you are saying, but the reality is that disney was making cuts to entertainers even before the pandemic. I'm sure they'll bring back some of them, but I wouldn't count on the entertainment ever returning to what it once was. Unfortunately.
ETA:. I'm talking about WDW here. Not sure about DL.

Chapek has been wanting to gut the entertainers for some time. This was a perfect opportunity for him.

#1079 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

As far as people not wanting to go until it all “gets back” I’ll say this .Just go ! Yeah some of your favorite things might not be happening but the other side of that is you’ll do and see things you normally wouldn’t .We were just there and I found myself really enjoying the atmosphere and noticing all the small but important details in the parks .You know stuff you wouldn’t notice while “on the run”. If life serves you a lemon ,just make ........

Actually, they shouldn't go. We don't need it getting back to "normal" levels.

Stay home! It isn't safe.

#1081 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

It’s also nice to be in Florida in the summer and not worry about sunburns, plus the best part of all the parks is how amazing they look at night.

That was missing on both of our recent trips....especially the MK.

#1085 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

We can now pour our own self serve drinks again in Disney World.

That is huge.

#1090 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Disney has not been low on strange people since the ‘70s. I’m not a big theme park guy so when we go my favorite thing to do is people watch while the kids are on the rides. It’s more entertaining than any tv show or movie.

There are two kinds of people that go to Disney. The super people that are fit and power walk, and those that are slobs, overweight, and eat shit food. It's interesting, we always look at the kids and 99% of the time the apples don't fall far from the tree.

Have to keep in mind that Disney populations are not an average view of American society - it's always a bit above the mean due to the cost.

#1098 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I remember years ago they had a Monster Bash and a Pirates of the Caribbean next to the gift shop next to the Buzz Lightyear ride. They are gone now. There are no pins in the parks, I asked.

Space Mountain was the last attraction that had them. You can still find them in the resorts.

#1105 2 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Two kids under 3 ...it will be interesting
My wife and I learned the hard way ... don't bring a young child to Disney (they won't remember anything anyways). We waited for our second to be out of diapers and walking around before we went back. First kid went twice in diapers. Once for a Disney wedding that we attended and once for a large family vacation. Ideally the sweet spot for the kids is the 5-7 yrs old range. Still young to enjoy everything it has to offer but old enough to not worry about diapers, formula/breastfeeding, a large stroller, hissy fits for being overtired, etc. Plus that age range gets you the kid price for tickets and meals

I agree with this. I see parents bringing younger children, and it always looks like torture. We waited until our kids were a bit older. When that happens, go as often as you can because they grow like weeds.

#1125 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

We just returned from Disney World. Overall it was a positive experience.
Rides:
Wait times: The lines look massive. Every massive line we got in we figured there is no way it's actually the posted time. During the week the wait times were 50% of the posted time on average. The weekend most rides were pretty close to the posted time, but never over. I don't think we waited more than 45 minutes for anything. I actually prefer the spaced out lines. It was a constant slow walk for most rides, I prefer that over waiting in one spot and moving 10 steps every so often.
Avatar: Holy cow this ride is awesome. People described it as Soarin' on steroids and that is accurate. Soarin was garbage. I remember liking it last time, maybe we had bad seats. Anything tall and thin was warped and curved.
Rise of the Resistance: This far exceeded my expectations. It was amazing. We had 2 days booked at Hollywood. We set the alarm both days and tried the queue at exactly 7AM. We got in both times no problem. We actually had a 3rd day booked but we were theme-parked out and needed a break. We tried the queue at 7:30AM out of curiosity and it was full.
Food:
I recommend reading some food reviews. We had a few real duds for meals. At an average of about $75 for the 4 of us quick service (without liquor) it's a tough pill to swallow when you get a food court burger that is worse than McDonalds (ABC Commissary).
Woody's Lunch Box was great, the BBQ place in Animal Kingdom was great as well. Epcot was pretty disappointing for food. I remember really enjoying the food snack stands, not so much this time.
We had dinner at Lotus Blossom and I think I've gotten better food at a late night gas station. It was close to closing, maybe that was a factor. The phone app ordering is slick. They also require you have your food before you sit, so we always had a place to sit.
The Boathouse probably wasn't a good choice for us. It's New England style seafood, but we are actually from New England. The lobster was way overcooked, as was the calamari. It's about the quality I would expect from the 99 at triple the price.
We splurged on Shula's just outside Epcot and all 4 of us agreed it was one of the best meals and service we've ever had. It was the most expensive meal I've ever had and wasn't mad about it at all.
Hotel:
We stayed at the Boardwalk Inn. The Boardwalk is really nice, unfortunately not everything is open. It was a short walk to Epcot and a little longer walk to Hollywood Studios. This is a huge plus for me. I can't stand those busses. Gorgeous hotel, awesome pool.
The service in the hotels is nothing like I remember. Our first day we asked a worker about the location of the pool. She said it was her first day and offered no help beyond that. We had an issue with laundry and the "front desk" told me to go to a laundry room that was in a portion of the hotel that wasn't even open. I went to the physical front desk and they non apologetically informed me that calling the front desk is a call center miles away. We had an issue with the toilet, actually all of the drains were slow to drain the whole trip. An angry maintenance worker came in with a plunger, splashed some toilet water on the floor and left the mess.
Overall we had a great time. We were able to get on every ride we wanted to in a reasonable amount of time. Some rides several times. A lot of the "magic" was replaced with people policing lines and masks. My kids are 14, I didn't want to wait another year (we were cancelled in 2020) in hope that it goes back to the Disney I remember. I fear it may never go back.

We went in September 2020 and January 2021. It wasn't anything like you describe except for the wait times. I thought the staff overall was really helpful. They're doing what they have to do, but we didn't expect to have the same experience as pre-covid. It was still fun for us and going back in Oct of this year.

3 weeks later
#1132 2 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

So I'll be staying at animal kingdom lodge next month for a week. Wonder where if any place to play pinball in disney right now?

They have been closed for a year. Not sure if they have opened them back up.

that said, most of the machines are in poor condition.

2 weeks later
#1156 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Is it true they did away with the service where they deliver your luggage from the airport to your room? I think it's called The Magic Express.

The magical express will end in Dec. The same service will be available after, but will cost $.

#1161 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

That is such a bummer. I really liked just going to the bus and not worrying about it. We would check into the hotel and then just go exploring for a while. When we finally got to the room, our stuff was sitting there.
I try to not whine about changes at Disney, but at some point there will not be any value staying in a Disney hotel. No extra hours in the park, no worry free express, no real park hopping, reservation systems for which park instead of just following what you feel like doing. Outside hotels look better and better every year.

I agree, but what is the alternative?

#1163 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

It’s getting to the point where you just don’t want to do anything because it is such a hassle and they dollar you to death. Disney is so expensive now the average person can’t afford it. The meal plans saved us lots of mo why the last time we went but this are no more. This is the New World Order.

I disagree. It is expensive, but the average person can still attend. Airfare is dirt cheap, and there are plenty of cheaper hotels to stay around the resort.

And the mean plan is almost always not of value any more.

#1167 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I thought we were saving money every time we did the meal plan in the past. After some research I don't think we did. Not being tied to Disney Property was nice on our April trip. We tried some things around Orlando and it was a welcomed change of pace. Also, I almost never order a dessert at dinner. With the meal plan it's included, and I'm the type of person that gets it because I paid for it, every meal. This leads to way overeating for me.
As far as the hotels are concerned, I'm not sure I'd bother staying on property again. I was always a big fan of being close, fast pass, extra hours, etc. With all of that gone I don't know that it's worth the premium.

Years ago the meal plan had value, but it was only when it was offered as an incentive during Sept and Jan...but those deals haven't been seen for 5 years or so. The meal promos they offer now have a series of limitations that make it cost prohibitive.

Having said all that, the meal plan encourages gluttony. When we did do it, I think we gained a few pounds even after all the walking we did.

#1175 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

But then you have to go to Ca and that is a big no for me.

Same here. I would like to see Walt's original park but no thanks. I'm sure Walt would have taken his name off it by now. Hell, - he wanted to take his name off of it back in 1965 when he started to scout land for WDW.

#1182 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If you're a fan - you must go. The DL experience is very different and well worth the trip. Having so much in such a compact space will blow your mind. But wait until they get all their actual entertainment and shows back. Seeing the REAL Fantasmic!, Remember..., and World of Color all in one evening is something WDW couldn't even come close to.

I know. While the attractions have changed, I heard there is still enough of the old park left to get the sense of what it was like. I would have killed to get there in the 60's, with Walt walking around signing autographs and the late night jazz events they had with Annette making an appearance.

#1184 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

This is all exactly correct!
Regardless of the history of the park, nostalgia for Walt, feelings about CA, etc... Looking at the parks as they stand today, DL is superior to WDW in many ways.
I used to only go to WDW, but now I realize that it would have been a shame if I missed out on DL.
Don't get me wrong. WDW is also superior to DL in many ways.
There is a vastly different, and at the same time vastly similar, experience between the two. It's really sort of strange in a way. But I definitely think that Disney parks fans should experience both.

But...DL is in CA. WDW is in FL. Nuff said.

1 week later
#1231 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

No more Covid Data from the state, as it welcomes flights from India, Europe, and Brazil.....
Id love to go, as its a short drive, but I think Ill wait a bit.

It is going to be busier than #$%^ for some time. Tried booking some dates in jan - not much available.

#1233 2 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

For what? Disneyland is only booking 120 days out. And disneyworld is completely available in January.

Not for DL, but for WDW. DVC contracts are at an all time high and you also have to factor in the additional hotels they have build over the last few years.

It will be a madhouse for the foreseeable future.

#1235 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Aren't a bunch of the resorts still closed, though? I admit I haven't followed that closely, so maybe they are open again. Or, at least taking reservations for January.
As far as DVC is concerned, in the past I have noticed that "busy DVC times" do not necessarily correspond to "busy park times" or even "busy non-DVC resort times".
Who knows anymore, though. My guess is that you are right and it's going to be busy for awhile. Lots of people have put off trips to wdw, so there is probably pent up demand.
Looks like they are starting up the nightly fireworks shows again in July. I'm hoping this also leads to some later park hours.

Later park hours, fireworks, masks changes, people mover, ratatouliie, tron, etc.

It's going to explode.

#1237 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Yep, true. All that stuff will lead to big crowds. Hopefully they bring back fastpass soon.

It's rumored.

#1244 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

From what I read on the Disney forums park reservations are here to stay.
Right now dining reservations are only 60 days out which I really like, I hated the old way of 180 days ahead of time and people would make tons of dining reservations at a time to get in Resturant’s like Ohana because they didn’t really know when they wanted to eat there 6 months out, and as it got closer they would cancel the ones they didn’t need. I actually just made our dining reservations this morning and was able to get the exact times we were looking for.

The dining reservations have always irked me a bit. At the end of the day, you have to make a choice on what is important to you. They have plenty of great dining options at all parks and resorts but making a reservation half a year away is ridiculous.

#1247 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I agree. We had our honeymoon in Disney 14 years ago and we had the dining plan which back then was great, appetizer entree dessert and drink, tips included. Each day we would look at where we wanted to eat and call the dining reservation number. We ate at some great restaurants and never had a problem getting in. That was before fast pass plus. I enjoyed those days when you would wake up in your hotel room and say, which park do you want to go to today? Instead of planning out your whole day months ahead of time.
We still really enjoy our time there, some things have improved like the new rides and incredibly immersive lands, but I don’t think anything will ever top that trip. People don’t believe me when I say Magic Kingdom was open till 3 am for resort guests twice a week, but we still have the paper times guide in a scrapbook to prove it!

Honestly, our best days are the "off" days when we just resort hop. Catch a bus here, boat there, monorail there....those are the most enjoyable.

#1254 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Their quick service food has improved for sure. There are still a few places that aren’t very good like cosmic rays and pizzafari but overall their choices and quality has gone up.

Agreed. Pecos Bills is awesome, and of course Epcot has enough to keep you busy. Hollywood Studios improved with the quick service at Galaxy's Edge.

1 month later
#1265 2 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I cancelled my august WDW. Maybe next year.

Going in Oct and Jan. Can't wait.

#1274 2 years ago

I hope like hell the mask mandate comes back. That means less people and shorter lines.

#1295 2 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:just heard all hotels are charging a $20 a night fee to park your car and $20 fee to use the pool, whether you use it or not. ridiculous.

It's been like that for over a year.

#1296 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Thanks for the tips.
18 days is the longest we have done so far, 11 of them at Animal Kingdom Lodge, that place is so great we could stay two weeks if we could afford it. We rarely spend a full day in the parks and use annual passes so it’s a very relaxed vacation. Sleep in late, stay up late, lots of swimming, arcades, and resort activities. I heard they started renting the pontoon boats again so plan is to rent one on one of our magic kingdom days for a few hours. Always trying different stuff and having fun every time! The DVC resorts have some really cool activities for very reasonable prices. One year at Saratoga Springs we all painted pottery pieces and then they fired them in a kiln and it was just a few bucks for each item. Some nice personal touch souvenirs.

That is a long one...our longest was 12, and it was awesome. Obviously you need to eat 60% of the time in your room and you'll have a lot of resort hoping days, but its difficult to get bored down there. There is always things to find and explore.

Last year we went to the Campgrounds for the hell of it, and wandered into their stables. Holy shit! Next thing you know we are looking at this organ type of car that Walt himself commission. Another time we were walking around Boulder Ridge (where we are dvc members now) and there in the quiet room area are two of Walt's original train cars on display.

It's a treasure trove of adventure literally within your reach - much more than just the parks.

#1299 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I’m surprised they just haven’t closed the pre-show stuff again. I never liked how they packed the stretching room at Haunted Mansion, because you would feel the body heat of the people with you. It was always too close moving to the “Dead Center of the room”. But now it just feels dumb.
Though it doesn’t matter to me right now.

Most of the pre-shows are pretty good, including Haunted Mansion, Dinosaur (the best one), and Twilight Zone. Avatar isn't too good, but if you can't stand body heat, a Disney Theme Park may not be the best vacation.

#1301 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Dinosaur is the best? Maybe I missed something on that one...

We quote the entire script each time and are joined by others as well.

"The future is in the past.....

Hello there!"

#1307 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Yeah the carnival area is pretty bad. Especially since there is a roller coaster just sitting there rotting for the last several years. That entire area is so out of place in that park. The rest of the park is one of the most beautiful and best themed anywhere.
There have been lots of rumors of theming that area to other ip, but obviously hasn't happened. Heck, even if they just continued the dinosaur theme and made it a forest or something with another dinosaur themed ride, it'd work a whole lot better than what's there now.

That entire area is going to be refurbished, which is too bad. It could have been much better, but it just never came to fruition.

#1313 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Hopefully in this case, refurbished means that they'll actually improve it, at least a little bit.
But, yeah, with all of the cutbacks they've done to the big projects which are currently happening, I wouldn't think we'd see any major projects at animal kingdom for quite some time.

Well, they did cancel Rivers of Light, which I thought was fantastic, I think they have to add something, and I've heard that the DinoLand was bothersome to the suits for some time. The other thing to note is that a cast member lost their life on Primeval World, so that always causes strife.

The area isn't that large, so it would not take much. The DinoLand restaurants are awesomely themed already.

#1314 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I love animal kingdom. Get 1 more Avatar ride. Fix dinosaur land. Park will be perfect.

I agree, the park is much better now that Pandora has been added. Previous to that it was a 5 hour park.

#1319 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

....two operator deaths actually, but in 2007 and 2011 so not likely linked to the permanent closing in 2020.

Right, it was two of them. While some time has passed, the ride has never been a favorite of Disney and even before it's closure, it had limited hours.

Which is very disappointing, as Disney themed it pretty well. I always enjoyed riding it.

3 weeks later
#1410 2 years ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Not exactly Disney Parks related, but I thought some here might find it interesting. We spent Labor Day weekend in Marceline, MO, Walt Disney's childhood hometown and the real-life inspiration for Main Street, USA.
Sadly, the downtown area has seen its better days -- good luck finding anything open past 4pm, or at all on Sunday -- but we did a private after-hours tour of the Walt Disney Hometown Museum that was easily worth the trip. So while I can only recommend it for hardcore Disney buffs, I feel like it's one of those "gotta do it once" trips for the Disney-obsessed, just to experience the history that permeates the place.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Thanks for posting this. What was the hometown museum like? Do they have any of Walt's personal items?

#1412 2 years ago

Pretty cool stuff. I read that he identified the desk during one of his trips back to Marceline in the 50's. Two of his train cars are at a display at the Wilderness Resort in WDW, and the exhibit that have in Hollywood Studios have some of his items. Those photos....what a time it must have been.

4 weeks later
#1424 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I can tell you as a teacher that this is not necessarily true...
There are many parents that are complete f**king idiots.

True, but so are many School Boards.

#1427 2 years ago

Going to WDW again in 2 weeks, been 8 months since my last visit. Can't wait.

Anybody ever snowbird in Florida near Orlando? Getting near the age for it and we are eyeing up Orlando for it.

#1436 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Tons of people did that during the height of the pandemic with everyone working from home and disney and universal opening after a few months with mask restrictions. Real estate is still bonkers here with very low inventory and outrageous prices (often selling for 20% over asking price). There are a lot of investors buying up property with cash offers and renting at equally high prices to those who can't get into homes because financing with a mortgage requiring an inspection and appraisal often isn't competitive enough in this market. Most buyers trying to use VA loans who can't cover putting down 20-30% of the purchase price are about out of luck. Even when they can, any issues found during inspection, sellers aren't inclined to address because another buyer is willing to waive inspection and pay similar money, and then it becomes ineligable for VA financing.

I don't qualify for the VA benefits, and I know how the market has exploded in the past few months. This is what is driving us getting a condo now, as prices will only increase. Eventually we would live 6 months in FL to gain residency.

#1444 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

There does seem to be a double standard around here, though. If it's a rule, it should be applied across the board. There's a pretty egregious one on another thread that's gone unnoticed (and people even commented on it...and the mods are active on that thread).
I personally don't care either way. I just want Disney to finish the f**king Tron coaster so I can go back down there and brave the kamikaze stroller-wielding moms. (See how I got this back on topic?)

I heard its like 2 years away. WTF - how many hotels will be up by that time?

C'mon.

#1464 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

True but that one is not included in the genie+. That's one of the separate lightning Lane ones.
Navi River journey is included in genie+ and that is probably the only included attraction on the list where it could be useful. But even that ride usually has reasonable lines at certain parts of the day. Plus let's be honest, that ride is nice but not really something that a lot of people will pay extra for.

The safari can have a long line as well. Everest and Dinosaur are usually pretty quick.

Speaking of strollers, I once brought up on a disney board my irke at scooters. They should only be used for the disabled and not fat asses who can't get around because they are out of shape.

I was almost drawn and quartered after that comment.

#1486 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

The lazy people on scooters are, in my experience, some of the most entitled, rude, unpleasant people in the park. After walking around all day, I finally got a seat waiting at blue bayou for our reservation. Someone dropped their sunglasses on the way into the restaurant, and I got up to give them to them as they hadn't noticed. On the 5 steps back from my good deed, I saw that an enormous woman had removed herself from her scooter seat and taken my seat on the bench. I couldn't believe it. This person who had been literally sitting all day stole my seat knowing full well I only left it for a second to help someone.
Time to ban scooters for everyone except people with legitimate mobility disabilities.

The worst is what they do to the busses. I don't know what it's like at DL, but at WDW they are a disease all in itself.

Again --when I see one with legitimate needs, I make a hole and make sure those in front of do as well. Or a wounded vet, or a grandma in her 90's with her grandkids, etc.

But when I see people my age that are out of shape, but clearly can walk, it drives me insane.Plus these are the people who bump up on your ankles while your walking and drive through the crowd expecting YOU to move. There is no reason for it other than laziness and the American diet.

Actually, Covid has been great at the parks, as most of these people have stayed home. Our last 2 visits I saw a lot less of them.

#1487 2 years ago

*note on Epcot, it also had the only ride we did not enjoy the entire week. The one simulating the force of blasting off from earth by spinning you around really fast…gave us a head ache and sent us packing early that day.

That's Mission Space, my favorite ride at EPCOT. Did you do the green or orange? Green isn't too bad, orange is "partytime!".

#1493 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I feel bad for them being so big, but some self responsibly needs to be in place. I’m not advocating that we all have 6 packs. I’ll never have one, but the biggest shirt size Disney should be selling is XXL, not 5X.
When you see those people in the park, they are eating all the sugar crap Disney makes. It’s actually quite easy to eat healthy there….but you need to stay out of the candy shop.

It truly amazes me how with all the nutritional science available now, that they continue to dig themselves an early grave. It's their choice. When you see them with a big gulp and a turkey leg, what more can you say?

#1494 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Epcot of the 80’s and early 90’s will never ever return.
Look at future world east. Universe of Energy, Horizons, and World of Motion. For the most part, I would say they were more on the educational standpoint.
Today? Guardians, mission space and test track. 3 thrill rides.
At least when test track had first opened, it still had an educational aspect to it. If you ask me, the whole inside is boring now. The part where you get through the heat, cold and painting shop now is just “analyzing”. Makes absolutely no sense. Then the part when you test braking vs ABS brakes makes no sense either now.
I say bring back the original Imagination pavilion and original journey into your imagination ride. Land pavilion is fine. But I did like the Lion King show better than the new one there.
Living seas….not sure what they can possibly do.
Spaceship earth needs to be cleaned up a bit, but otherwise it’s still a great ride.

There is a lot that can be said on this topic. EPCOT obviously was nothing like Walt imagined, but his vision couldn't be built without him. Marty and the team did an incredible job of doing what they could when it opened. I think Frozen was the first IP change, which only drove us to where we are now. It's a shame that it is turning into a MKII, but it is what is. I love The Land, and hopefully that sticks around because that's basically all there is left.

COVID delayed Spaceship Earth's rehaul, so hopefully it will stick around for a bit. I love it, such a great historical journey.

#1497 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's interesting to see the discussion of obese people at Disney World, because the one time I went there, over 20 years ago, I found it shocking to see so many fat people in one place. I can only imagine what it's like a generation later. I felt most bad for the fat children with 2 large parents, who never had a chance.

There are three types of people you see at WDW, and at the resorts from my observations.

Obese or those that are unhealthy....high BP, overweight, diet is for crap, etc. and you are right. Usually the kids are well on their way as well. It's interesting to see how large kids can be at an early age.

Then there are the super parents - they are easy to spot. Mom is usually in workout gear/tight pants pushing a double stroller like she's on the treadmill, they eat very well - and pace the park at almost a jog. You can see Dad is wearing his high end hiking gear.

Then all those in between to some degree.

And there is the South American group - when we usually go they are on spring break from school, so they make up about 35% of the park. They are interesting to watch as well. Their family social interaction is much different that of Americans. They actually talk to each other in line instead of looking at their phones. We learned a bit of Portuguese and Spanish so we could interact with them a few years ago. Was pretty cool.

#1502 2 years ago

Looks pretty cool. How long was that opened?

#1523 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

This year, I have people going with me. I’ll wear the dopey medal, the boyfriend of my girl’s daughter can carry the backpack all day. He’s 25 and young. It’s like “I’m paying for your trip…least you can do is carry this for a day or two.”

Exactly!

I want to do one of these, maybe just the 5k. Is it worth it overall?

#1537 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Aerosmith is 65 minute wait.
They really need to get those 2 other lands built ASAP to help alleviate the lines in MGM.
Indiana Jones stunt show will help a little bit. Just not enough high capacity rides in the park. They need a haunted mansion style ride that can handle 3,000 guests an hour.
Think how the park was originally designed. The backstage tour was hours long and ate up lots of people. Animation tour ate up lots of people. Great movie ride (I really miss it) ate up lots of people too.
Just looking at these wait times, I have a feeling I’ll end up purchasing lightening lane tickets for ride of resistance. Can’t lose 2.5 hours standing in line for any ride….4 people, $15 each….ugh.
[quoted image]

What 2 other lands?

#1542 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

My thoughts, is covid has collapsed in Florida. Therefore, parents have extended their trip a day or 2 and took kids out of school due to Columbus Day.
Magic Kingdom is finally booked for Christmas as of today.
January 2-7, Hollywood studios is booked everyday. This says to me, parents are taking kids out of school to not deal with the Christmas crowds.
Today, Oct 12, magic kingdom and MGM are booked. Everything is available tomorrow. I can’t wait to see what the lines will look like on an available day.

Damn, I"ll be there in 2 weeks too.

#1544 2 years ago

We'll see. We are only hitting EPCOT and Islands of Adventure this time as we'll be back in January again. We're not doing Genie+ this time to test it without it.

#1546 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

You won't need Genie+ for Epcot.
Real question: Sit down dining in Epcot or doing the Food & Wine Festival booths?

Definitely food and wine booths for Epcot throughout the day, except dinner which we always get at Rose and Crown - which is a tradition while watching the firework show.

#1550 2 years ago

I think we have ordered from there before. Fantastic food.

Agree that some of the food dishes are now there year round, we saw some in January. However, it seems like they have a bit more during the actual festival. Not all of them are of value though.....we try and be selective.

#1564 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

I hope you have a lot of patience!

Seriously. How long as Guardians and Tron been in production? 5 years?

#1565 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yep, worst ride ever. I’m sure it must have its fans, but DAMN!!!

How can you guys hate Mission Space? You hit 2.5gs for like a minute. Real astronauts hit 3g, although for 8 min.

It's my favorite at EPCOT. Although one year I did it 3 times which was a mistake.

After Mission Space, I go on Test Track and an bored.

#1597 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

New EPCOT feels like they didn't know what to do with Future World and decided more IP is the answer. I guess people are just different now.

I think they probably realized the future was bleak from every angle you could look as society started to de-evolve - and finally said fuck it.

On a positive note, Port Orleans is open today and Yeeha Bob is live!

#1598 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

That’s why it’s so important as we age, to eat healthy and exercise.
Still boggles my mind how some of the people are able to walk around all day. I’m convinced they do more walking on their Disney trip than they do the other 360 days of the year combined. I think you know what kind of people I’m hinting at…

I can't believe their heart can keep going all day. I mean, they must be a hell of a lot of pain carrying all that weight - waddling down main street eating cotton candy.

I watch the old Disneyworld archive clips and you rarely see overweight people walking around the park.

#1603 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Look at the way people were dressed back then. Sorry, but some people just dress like slobs walking through the park. On a side note, at church, I see guys wearing gym shorts. Guys shouldn’t wear any shirts at church. I wear nice shoes, nice jeans and a nice shirt. In Disney. Khaki shorts, sneakers, and a Disney shirt.

Totally. In the old footage the crowds actually look human. At WDW, half of the crowd look like they just got out of bed. Like I said, humanity is de-evolving. Just look at the average life spans.

#1604 2 years ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

I rode it last week. It's a lot of fun and the whole area surrounding it is very well themed, with some cool new food options. It's a trackless ride similar to Rise of the Resistance or Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, but in my opinion both of those are better. Neither of them are at Epcot, though! Like someone mentioned, you've gotta do the 7am boarding group thing to get to ride it.
(And I know this is a Disney parks thread, but for me the highlight of my week was getting to go back to Halloween Horror Nights for its 30th.)

I have avoided spoilers, but the trackless rides don't do much for me. Although, Mickey's Runaway Railway was impressive.

I hope Guardians is worth the wait. Seems like their recent new attractions are "meh" (looking at the two Toy Story rides in particular).

#1625 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Some podcast I was listening to talked about this. They were explaining how Disney is cleaning house in senior positions, and there are not many people left who champion the creative process. Imagineering is weak currently. They used “Kitetails” as an example (google it, it’s sad). Chapek is a cold hard data guy, all numbers, and probably has never walked through the front gate outside of being propped up for a publicity stunt. Chapek is certainly bad news for the parks division. He’s not a Disney guy.
But I’ve seen Disney go through several downturns, hopefully this one is short lived. As long as Chapek is at the wheel though, it is not good news for the parks unless they continue losing money post-Covid and attribute it to straying from what works.

Inside word on Chapek isn't good as has been suggested. Many of us doubt if even likes people. How can somebody like that be in charge of Disney?

Disney fans LOVE Josh D'amaro and word on the street is upper management (Chapek) isn't too happy at this entirely. As much as I bitched about Eisner, he did get a lot done.

#1626 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Port Orleans is my favorite resort. Odd since I am from New Orleans. I think it’s simply the Louis Armstrong in the lobby.
If they made a Port Orleans DVC I would buy another 300 point contract immediately.
I play jazz piano and actually bought the exact model Yamaha player piano as the one in the lobby because it has such strong memories for us!

You and me both. It was our first resort, and we still love it. If they opened it up to DVC, I would also buy a contract. The grounds, landscaping, lobby, Bob, and even the quick serve is fantastic.

French Quarter is fine as well. We stayed there 2 years ago - just my wife and I. We didn't think we would like it as much, but one night after getting back from a park, there was a mist in the air and walking around the grounds with the fountains and landscaping at night was so enjoyable. Can't go wrong with either. Although, I've never stayed in the buildings across the river.

#1638 2 years ago

Anyone see the cost of the new Star Wars hotel at WDW? They are out of their fricking minds.

#1648 2 years ago
Quoted from flipperstick:

I have been wondering the same thing - I am upset with them taking away the free (Fast Pass) option to now charge through the new (Genie+) and additional (Lightning Lanes).. Form more details on the new set up, read below:
Disney Genie+: $15 per ticket per day.
A La Carte Separate Lightning Lane Access: $7 per ticket per day PER ride. Yes, this is the price for just one ride
https://thepointsguy.com/news/disney-genie-paid-fastpass/
How do you all feel?

Hell no, unless you go during the 8 busy months of the year. Then you have no choice.

#1649 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

They did it to lower the overall lines, as well as make more money in the process.

They gave the bullshit at the media launch to the effect of "to make everyone's experience much more valuable and magical", or something like that.

What was wrong with fast pass? Oh yeah - it was free.

#1660 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I have the perfect fix for long lines: More rides.
Hotel capacity (on and off Disney) has far outstripped ride capacity in the parks. Until ride capacity catches up, lines will always be a problem.
Easiest way to fix it: Add more rides and build a 5th park.
Me personally, I can't wait for Epic Universe to open up. I truly believe it will put a dent into the amount of people at Disney.

A 5th park will never be built. We are lucky we have the 4 that we have.

#1669 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I wouldn’t say never. If they felt they could attract enough guests to make it a long term financial success, it would get built.
It would need to be thematically different from their current offerings of fantasy (Magic Kingdom), future and technology (Epcot Future World), world culture (Epcot World Showcase), nature (Animal Kingdom), and Hollywood and the movies (Hollywood Studios). Any attraction whose story already fits in with the theme of an existing park would obviously go there. Each existing park could be expanded if needed, rather than build another park and all the required infrastructure.
Universal had to purchase land and build another park simply because they had no more space to grow their 2 existing parks. Walt learned his lesson from Anaheim where the space was too small, and businesses popped up at the edge of their property drawing money away from the park. That is why the land purchase for Disney World was so massive. It gave as much room to expand as they would ever need, kept competition far away, and controlled the experience. When the magic kingdom was built, they also built a ticket and transportation center. The idea behind this has always been stated that they wanted the experience to feel like being transported to a different land. While this is partly true, it was also the plan to separate you from your car, and make it tougher to leave. More time in the park means you are likely to spend more money.

There will never be a 5th park meaning they don't have any more room. The Reedy Creek Improvement District has to have x amount of preserve as part of the original agreement with the State way back in 1968 or so. If you look at an aerial map, with all of the hotels/waterparks, and other structures, there isn't a lot of green space left in the Reedy Creek District. Yes - it looks like that to us as we drive around it, but not from an Eagle's point of view.

I don't think they have enough green space to build another park and all of the infrastructure needed like parking lots, support buildings, etc.

I hope they never do. I enjoy the mix of development/non development of WDW as it is.

#1699 2 years ago

An aggregated % is a total of ALL available space. I don't see how and where they could build a 5th park. Plus they can't go anywhere near Animal Kingdom. They should focus on adding attractions in the current parks (which is what they have been doing), no need for a 5th one unless they want to repurpose something (like one of the water parks).

#1711 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

The funny thing is, as someone who goes to Disney all the time, those are the experiences I get most excited about

My daughter does as well. Last time we rode Mickey's Runaway Railroad - it broke during Daisy's dance class and our carts were just ushered back in with everything shut down. People in the cars were loving it, maybe it was because we got some free fast passes.

1 week later
#1715 2 years ago

Just got back from 5 days at WDW - did MK, Epcot, Islands of Adventure, and we toured around to view some condos we are looking for future retirement.

Crowds were moderate, Epcot wasn't bad until 6PM, and then people were everywhere. Besides wearing masks inside (which they only loseley enforce) everything was back to normal. Even the sanitation stations were far and few between. Universal was an experience in itself.

One thing that is for sure - Covid and quarantine sure took its toll on the public. At least 75% of the people were overweight with about 35-40% plain out obese. And if you have any uneasiness about lack of social distancing, don't even bother coming.

Having said all that, we had a great time with the highlights being able to visit Port Orleans again and excited about our new plans to start residency nearby at some time in the future.

#1721 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

About the commentary on obese park guests, it’s nothing out of the ordinary for Disney parks in general, and certainly not surprising during food and wine. I didn’t see it as anything out of the ordinary, but actually thought it was somewhat less than usual. With no Disney dining plans right now, I seem to think less of the big eating crowd is in attendance. Larger guests may also have some other health issues that might still be keeping them away. We didn’t see nearly as many motorized cars in Epcot or Hollywoods as we usually do during our time this week.

I forgot my comments about the scooters.

Abuse of the motorized cars just keeps getting worse. When I see people my age on scoters because they are overweight and don't want to walk and get exercise, it boils my blood. There were whole "scoter gangs" rampaging around the parks. And to top if off? In Epcot - their they are drinking away while they are trying to drive. It's a fucking nuisance and I know Disney doesn't do anything because it's $, but at some point it has to be addressed. We had to laugh as the scooter gang all got in line to get the big red and blue doughnuts for sale at the EPCPOT quick serve stations.

The best is when we see parents younger than us, with kids in two that look like they are in middle school - while mom and dad are drinking on their scoter - what type of message does that send to their kids? It's literally right out of Wall-E.

#1724 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

OMG!!!! As I’m reading your post, I’m thinking this is Wall-E. LOL
I was talking to one of my closest friends last night. Telling her it’s so hard to buy an XL shirt there now, cause of all the 3X, 4X and 5X shirts they carry.
I told her how it’s so easy to eat nothing but pure crap while down there, but at the same time, it’s so easy to eat healthy there too.
Me personally, I don’t know how people eat like crap down there. I can handle a cheat meal…but not everyday for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and dessert.

We cheat a bit as well, a cookie here and there or a desert, but these people eat shit food 24/7. I also noticed Disney's quality of food took a step back. Selections at the Port Orleans and Saratoga Quick serve went back a few years. I ordered an impossible burger at Port Orleans and they had to cook it as a special order.

#1731 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

The ones you rent from Disney have been dialed back. My mother in law who has both knee and hip replacements rents one from time to time from the park, and it struggles to keep up with the walking pace of our group in the last couple of years. I think some of the outside rental ones go a lot faster.

That is a reason to use a scooter. Glad she is able to still enjoy the parks.

#1735 2 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

Yes I did and if I had it to do over I would have worn 2 pair of socks !

The key is to use two different pair of shoes. Switch them up each day. We walk/bike a lot anyway, but we always do a couple marathon days of 8+ miles of walking to get in shape for WDW.

#1741 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

This has me thinking, does anyone else pack a small park kit for when they travel to the parks?
Before we moved down here, when we vacationed at disney world, my wife and I would pack a small (2"x4"x4") see through dopp kit with park essentials to bring in with us to help save a day from discomfort.
It included:
- Travel vial Ibuprofen
- Antacids (in a snack ziplock)
- A few Band aids
- Blister Bandages (the ones that are cushioned and very sticky)
- 2nd Skin Squares in a small ziplock bag (amazing for when you have rubbed off your skin completely - instant relief) amazon.com link »
- Some KT tape strips (cut to 3-4" - they stretch and will hold on a bandaid better than anything, especially on feet, but also sometimes where a backpack strap might have rubbed you raw)
- Motion Sickness Patches amazon.com link »
- Small tube of Aquafor or Vaseline (great if you happened to get a blister between your toes or for chafing aka "chub rub")
- Feminine Products
- Mini can of Coppertone
- A few cough drops (nothing worse than being in a show and getting a tickle in your throat)
- Chapstick

We only bring the following:
Rain gear
Extra pair of socks - for if my feet get wet
Sunscreen
cough drops
Advil
Band aids

#1750 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

My wife was a teacher, so we would always end up in FL in late August when it was a little less expensive, and while she was still on summer break. We would do the parks from rope drop to park close, and in the heat, would inevitably get blisters creeping in. Every year a few new items would get added or removed from the bag, and that is where we landed.
We still bring ponchos (these ones are great and have proven durable amazon.com link »)

We have never been there from March to mid Oct - we only usually visit Oct and Jan.

I have heard the heat and humidity is brutal.

#1756 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I won’t do the River rapids ride in Animal Kingdom…I don’t want to be soaked.
I don’t consider splash mountain a ride where you get wet.

You really don't get wet on either of those rides. The ponchos are for the short rain bursts they get down there.

If you want to get wet on rides, go over to Universal. They are brutal.

#1763 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

https://allears.net/2021/10/03/things-you-never-realized-were-totally-abandoned-in-disney-world/
There are times where things in Disney World have been left (and are still to this day) TOTALLY abandoned. Curious to know what Disney has built and then simply left behind? Actually quite a few real attractions have been built and then abandoned (and in one case buried!) We’ve just the thing for you.
Who Knew?

I saw the plane on the last year that the backlot studio was open. The train went past it and I couldn't believe that the actual plane was just sitting there.

#1776 2 years ago

If you want to see idiotic behavior, go watch the Yellowstone Cubs on Disney plus. It’s an old Disney nature film and what they used to do in Yellowstone with Bears is beyond comprehension.

#1778 2 years ago

So it has been decided that we are going to make our first visit to Disneyland. We're WDW veterans, but the attractions at DL have made the family want to make the primglage.

I have two immediate questions -

Coming from Chicago - would it be better to fly into LAX or John Wayne?

Also - are the hotels directly across from the DL park ok to stay at? i see there are quite a few, and the price difference between the few park hotels and these are pretty substantial. Never been to Anaheim before, so any feedback is much appreciated.

#1784 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Dates are not locked down - but probably will be around the first week in June. We are going to visit for 4 nights, then swing down to Orlando for a week.

#1791 2 years ago

i would love to stay at the Grand Californian, but the differences in price is significant.

At this time, - my thought is we arrive on day 1 - visit DL on day 2, Ca Adventure on day 3, then DL again on day 4 and fly out for Orlando on day 5.

We have never been to DL before and want to make the most of this trip.

#1796 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I don't know if I'd do Anaheim and Orlando back to back. There's so many attraction duplicates that you might feel like the overlap makes WDW redundant. Especially now that they're very limited in shows and entertainment, with no real sign of things going back to precovid levels of offerings, I would just do Disneyland and then save your time and money for WDW another time.

We are going to stay at our new condo for a few days, and not visit any of the WDW parks this trip. Probably do Sea World, the Space Center, Disney Springs, etc.

#1799 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I'm moving out of state so I wasn't going to get a new annual pass anyways, but I've never seen Disneyland fans so unhappy with the state of the parks as they are now. I feel like people just complain all the time about what's not there anymore and what's not ever coming back. NPR even coined the term "skimpflation" to describe Disney's Park cutbacks amidst growing inflation. I get the sense that the new normal is going to continue to be a lot less entertainment options than before shutdowns... Whether that's parades, shows, character interactions, decorations, etc... I think the expectation is that budget cutbacks and staffing shortages are going to establish a new, inferior normal.

WDW's state of skimpflation is based more around the benefits of staying on site, which has pretty much been all erased. Are there any major attractions at DL that are still not up and running? That is what we really are coming to experience.

#1802 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Freeplay show and IAPPA this week in Orlando.

You live in Winter Park? We visited there in searching for a location. I am guessing the new build is going to take over all of the older areas around the downtown center.

1 week later
#1813 2 years ago

Booked a few nights at Candy Cane Inn in Anaheim. The planning begins.

4 weeks later
#1822 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I used Genie+ at the magic kingdom at Disney world. It was definitely a let down. It’s basically a scaled back version of the fast pass system that now has to be paid for. Rather than getting 3 passes up front, and then another after you have used them up, you get only one at a time with Genie+. For it to make any sense, you really need to just grab the next available ride so that you can maximize the number you get for the day. When compared to the old system, it really sucks

I've heard that it isn't worth it, unless you go on a real busy day. Then you have no choice.

#1827 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Even on a busy day, I don’t see it having much value anywhere but the magic kingdom. There are too few Genie+ eligible rides at the other parks to make it even worth the base $15 charge.

Agreed.

#1830 2 years ago

We are going to DL for the first time ever this summer, and likely will not be back for some time, so I'l'l probably bit the bullet and get it for one day.

#1852 2 years ago

Book yourself into one of the hotels by Disney Springs. A lot cheaper stay, and you get transportation as well. It's the only way to do it cheaply anymore.

#1863 2 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

After 27 years of DVC, we sold the points today ...well most of them
The yearly maintenance bill arrived a couple weeks ago and it wasn't pretty (over $10k/yr now). We kept 380 of the Old Key West points (cheapest) but sold the rest (remaining OKW, Bay Lake and Animal Kingdom Lodge). This is enough for a 2 bedroom week stay at almost all of the resorts each year minus Xmas week or the park view at Bay Lake (which was our favorite). My parents are too old now to take multiple trips with their friends and my family is too busy to go every year now, plus the price increases and lost perks. We'd rather spend the week at the Disney Hilton Head Resort and relax there. Lots of paperwork to sign but the process was super easy.
[quoted image]

So how much more did you sell them for from what you bought them?

I'm hearing people who are selling now have to file capital gains. Ha! Earning income from a time share. I should have bought into DVC 10 years ago.

#1865 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

see the frozen show, .

You should get complimentary fast passes for the day for sitting through that thing. I had to apologize to my family for making them sit through that train wreck.

#1869 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I have dinner reservations for Space 220.

I heard that you can no longer do that - but you say you were able to do that recently?

Maybe I'm thinking of going to the bar/lounge only.

#1876 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

We did a 16 day resort stay this summer, we went in the parks 4 times this Christmas and we will do a 2-3 week resort stay next summer all on the same annual pass. Only buy them once every other year and you can get two summers and a winter vacation out of them and it’s well worth it especially when you add in all the extra discounts and perks.

Interesting.....

#1878 2 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

We made a lot with the older points that we got in the 90's (we bought in around $52/pt), but lost some from the newer points that we bought for the later resorts (still got them way cheaper than what they are selling for now). I didn't calculate the exact but its around break even. Though if you compare to the latest prices, then a huge loss They will still make a ton of money reselling those points.

Did you factor in the value of the visits you got out of them?

We bought our contract 3 years ago, and will sell this year as we're purchasing a condo near WDW - and it looks like we'll walk away with 5K out of the transaction - plus the 4 stays we had (less the maintenance costs).

#1880 2 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Assuming we would make the same amount of trips without them, then we made a killing with the points. Most of the time, calculating the cost per night for all the trips each year was way more than the yearly maintenance fee. Taking Disney Cruises for free with the points was saving (though we hate those cruises now and are spoiled with NCL's Haven suites). When we got the three bedroom villas that would have been $1600/night, we saved with those.
Also when DVC first started, they gave us free park tickets for the length of stay, so we did well with that (was great for spring break trips to save our money for the booze at Pleasure Island ) Then take into account the % savings on tickets/season passes, souviners, meal plans (when they were worth getting...not now), etc. , that saved us a ton.

Like I said, I wish I would have bought in 10 years ago. I looked into it hard, but at the time I was reading a WDW blog (Tom Bricker) and he talked me out of it. I was a fool.

A few years ago, I was taking the boat from the MK to Grand Floridian. A guy I was sitting next to talked to me for 5 min. The rest is history.

#1897 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I keep checking to see if the DDP Disney Dining Plan will return for 2022… so far nothing.

It hasn't had value for many years now anyway.

#1907 2 years ago

Cool that they used Oswald!

We leave tomorrow - can't wait. Wait times yesterday were horrid, but guessing that is because of the Marathon. Should slow down a bit next week.

1 week later
#1961 2 years ago

At the parks all this week. Crazy busy.

#1967 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Anyone else use Touring Plans app? I'm curious if it is still accurate these days.

At WDW, wait times are all over the board. We keep track of every wait time and previously they were within 15%. This week, half were almost dead on, the other half were all understated. We had to ask cast members their opionions - and each time they were pretty spot on.

#1980 2 years ago

We just got back from 10 days. I can't believe how crowded the parks here. Went to EPCOT on Wen and they had one friggin exit out of the park. It was totally inexcusable. We were herded like cattle from the end of international village all the way to the front of the park. I have no idea why this was done, but halfway through someone joking said "this ain't social distancing", and a near panic/riot almost happened. Kids started crying and people were starting to lose their cool. Never saw anything like it.

The South American attendees were back - lots of large groups like the old days. Another thing I noticed was the meal size portion changes were very obvious. One of the Disney Execs took some heat from this a few weeks ago, but it was noticeable, especially in the parks (Pecos Bill looks to have been hit the hardest).

Also ran into some not so nice cast members for the first time. I get it that getting labor right now is hard, and they have to do what they do.

There is a lot of hostility and anger right now at Disney - specifically highlighted with the huge bonus payouts to Iger and Chapek that was just released. I try and brush it aside as much as I can, but with the huge crowds I saw - until people start making choices with their wallets, nothing with change.

#2002 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Don’t they always exit you out the main gate? What do you mean by herded? Sounds like a rough trip. We’re going in a couple weeks and I’m worried.

I never saw anything like it - and I've been to EPCOT 25+ times?

If you went out the main gate, they have all of the areas by Imagination and the Land pened off with cast members. They only way you could go is to funnel over by CREATIONS (store) and then around that bend by Guardians.

It was nuts.

#2003 2 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

Hi all,
Ok, just seen this thread here for the first time.
That being said, we are planning Disney World for the first time in early March. Any wisdom you can share? ROTR is a must, so I assume Genie+
Also planning on hitting up Universal as well.
Generally what is the weather like the beginning of March, does it cool off much in the evenings?

If this is your first time at Disney, have fun!

There is a ton of things to know and learn, but don't worry about it. Just have a basic plan set for what you want to accomplish and do NOT get discouraged if you don't hit every attraction.

Personally, ROTR is overrated and it goes down a lot. But if you have your heart set on it - rope drop it. Meaning - get to the park as early as possible and wait for it. If you are NOT staying on site in the park - this won't work as well as they are letting resort guests in 30 min earlier.

Another way to do it is to wait til the end of the day and then get in line. Do not try it during the day, unless you don't mind waiting 2 1/2 hours for it. It was up to 3 hours this past week.

You don't need to plan for Universal. It's much easier on the wait times.

#2019 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Well, last time I went to Six Flags in LA it was the same way. Like hoodlum city. I never went back, and that was a loooong time ago. I guess they just don’t care, or maybe, they are happy to have that for their clientele. You don’t see at Disneyland of course, and same for Universal Studios, always have a good time visiting there as well.

What are they supposed to do? If they take any measures they will be called racists. DL and WDW only get by for now due to the high cost.

In fact, the thug factor is rising at these parks too. I saw some pretty abusive behavior at the Rose and Crown last week.

#2022 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

EPCOT can get really rowdy on weekends during food and wine fest. A CM told us locals come by just to drink, and Disney loves the money.

It was a bunch of males celebrating one of their son's 21st. They were from a certain part of the county - which I won't name, but they were bragging about it and finally were asked to leave by the Crown's Management. I don't know if they left the park or the area, but they were spending a ton of $ and giving the cast members and other patrons some abuse.

#2025 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

That is messed up. If my son did that I would put him over my knee and whip his ass.

The problem is the cause was the adults - males between 40-60.

#2036 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

The older one is Star Tours, but there are actually 2 rides in Galaxy's Edge. Smugglers run (the Millenium Falcon) and Rise of the Resistance are the newer rides. There are three Star Wars themed rides in total at Hollywood Studios. Hope you didn't miss smugglers run. It's a lot of fun.

We enjoy Smuggler's Run much more than Rise. SR is more inactive, and when you have a talented group, it's a lot of fun.

#2056 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

As it stands, Star tours is the only attraction that has any representation of the original star wars trilogy at all. So I like it just for that fact alone. It would be easy and quick to re theme it to something else, though.
Smugglers run is cool and all, but, I mean... Flying around in the millennium falcon to collect some mineral or something? For some guy I never heard of?
Seriously, if you are not going to have han Solo involved with that attraction, you at least need chewie. I know he's in it a little bit, but come on he needs to be integral to that ride. And maybe a real mission of some sort? Like, fighting imperial forces or avoiding imperial entanglements? Hell even fighting the first order would be better than collecting some stupid containers.
That being said, I know that sounded rough, but the thing is fun due to the interactivity of it.

None of it is the OT, and I agree - the Falcon without Solo is pathetic. It is the way the Execs have decided that it
is going to go.

#2057 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I never went on horizons as it was gone by the time I first went to epcot. Have you ever seen that video of those guys who would go on the ride over and over when it wasn't busy and jump off onto the sets? Amazing that they didn't ever get caught.

Epcot's old attractions are legendary. I never got to ride any of them, except the Ellen ride.

3 weeks later
#2104 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Have you been in a coma the last two years?

Society has been de-evoluving for decades now, and we all hate each other more than ever thanks to our politicans. It will only get worse.

I did witness some duchy behavior from Cast Members this last time around, but also some nice ones as well. If I had to deal with all of the A-holes that visit, I'd be an arse too.

Imagine those poor CMs at the value resorts. Oh boy.....

#2109 2 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I find it incredible how inpatient people have become.... I was on a cruise with my brother and some "Karen" was screaming at him "get on the elevator you F*ing drunk". My brother had a stroke and is disabled (plus he doesn't drink). There were a lot of people pushing to get in and he needs to take a little extra time to make sure he doesn't fall.

That's freaking horrible to hear. People suck.

#2133 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Epcot was shocking. Seeing it destroyed hurt a bit… they’ve fully abandoned the original concept I loved as a kid. Spaceship earth seems so alone.
Worse was yesterday at world showcase. It is like party central back there. I thought Pleasure Island closed but I guess it just moved here.
We saw a dozen girls in cutoff shorts and bras getting trashed and shouting obscenities. Half their ass cheeks were hanging out and the back of their shorts said “DRINKERBELL”. I enjoyed the show but my family did not. A DVC kiosk person was trying to calm them down.
There were a lot of drunk grandma scooter gangs. They seemed to all wear shirts that said “Drinking Around The World”. Another guest said this is a popular thing now for seniors.
At Morocco I took the kids to walk down the little alley in the back by the restaurant. Big mistake. It was LOADED with drunks, including a girl throwing up in a flower planter. It was like bourbon street.
At one of the festival of the arts booths, an artist was painting an owl. There was a group of college-age guys with beers in both hands standing behind him chanting “WHILE WE WAIT WE HYDRATE”.
We evacuated back to future world at 4pm, fearing it would only get worse at dark. A family we met waiting for test track confirmed it and said they saw multiple people throwing up and one lady passed out drunk in the street while her friends laughed at her, surrounded by cast members.
I’m not a prude but this was not acceptable for a family vacation. I think we were here on a really bad day but I will have to think really hard before ever taking my kids here. I think they need to offer “dry days” in this park.
Took this on our way out…
[quoted image]

EPOCT has gotten worse and worse over the years. Last year as we were walking back to Boardwalk, we say a 50'ish drunken man verbally and almost physically abusing people. I was waiting for security to come our way but they never did.

Stay away from the Rose and Crown at night.

#2134 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I'm convinced that Iger choosing Chapek as a replacement was simply a move to revise history and somehow make people think he was a great ceo in comparison. Iger was terrible. Not a single original themed park attraction was started under Iger. Everything was IP-based. Classic attractions were mutilated in the name of political correctness. Iger had Disney partner with the Chinese government amidst ongoing atrocities and protests by pro-democracy groups just so they could open a park in Beijing and release their movies in the Chinese market. The prices at Disney parks skyrocketed under Iger... And let's not forget that Chapek was still in charge of parks under Iger, so it's not like there was a hard shift when Iger left.

Iger on the whole didn't take any chances. If you read the book "Disney War", you can see what kind of executive he was. Eisner for all of his faults, took chances and some of them hit pretty well. Iger was brought over from ABC and was nothing more than a network executive. He never had the creativity aspect that Walt, Ron Miller, Eisner, nor even Tom Watson had. Eisner worked with the Imagineers. I've heard Iger and Chapek did not.

Chapek is even worse.

#2136 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

My old neighbor was an Imagineer, now retired. I asked him about Chapek and he went into an angry rant. I don't think he liked Iger much either but there's real vitriol in the company against Chapek. If you have followed Disney the last few years, there have been some reports about tension between Iger and Chapek, with supposed digs at Chapek from Iger on his way out...
I think it's all theater. Iger chose Chapek as his successor. He knew what he was doing and what he'd be getting. Recall that Iger unexpectedly left his post as CEO right before the covid closures. It seems pretty obvious that Iger saw the road ahead and did not want to step down in the middle of a crisis on the date originally planned, ruining his reputation/record. Instead he abandoned ship so that all of the crap hit the fan while technically on Chapek's watch. Meanwhile, Iger stayed at the head on the board to maintain power without accountability.
Now everyone is complaining about Chapek's Disney while longing for the Iger days, as if Chapek wasn't running the parks under Iger or as if Iger wouldn't have been equally ruthless when facing covid challenges. The guy praising the Chinese government in the Disney+ "documentaries" was never the pro-consumer creative force he makes himself out to be. That's all corporate propaganda.

The current CEO does not choose the next CEO, the Board of Directors does. Well, specifically, the Talent Search Committee makes the recommendation to the other Directors. The BOD are the ones who have the power and unless the CEO stacks the BOD with his cronies (as Eisner did), the CEO can only offer the suggestion of their successor.

You are correct on the Corporate Propaganda aspect of it. It's ALL bull shit on what they tell us, their annual reports, their presentations, etc. Fact is that with all of these purchases they have made, they need to find 20% of a ROI or more on them. It's all about $ and the voice of the largest shareholders, which I don't know who it is these days.

3 weeks later
#2154 2 years ago

I have heard the lines in Feb were absolutely crazy. Almost like summer levels. And February WAS the slowest month of the year.

#2160 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The genie plus stuff is doing a nice job of making the standby lines longer than usual, given the same attendance.

That is not the primarily reason, at least I don't think it is. Genie or no genie - each attraction has a capacity per hour factor.

All of the hotels/resorts are booked as well and have been for some time. It's like due to pent up demand and that more parents are taking their kids out of school than a few years ago.

#2178 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

'all the resorts are booked' -- but all the resorts aren't operating at full capacity. Until recently Disney still had full resorts closed.
The reason it's so crowded is because Disney is funneling people into less and less things to do.

I don't think that is accurate. They are having issues with staffing. Everyone knows this.

Your point in this thread and the post above that there are "less things to do" is besides the fact, that more people are attending now than recent historical trends.

#2186 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

How do you experts think the last week of August through the first week of September will be with respect to crowds?
Just as lousy as any other time?

Usually it's very low once school starts, but honestly, all bets are off.

#2187 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The FastPass system was available to everybody, and I suspect more widely used than the pay-for-play genie plus thing. When more people had fast passes they spent more time out of lines doing other things. Could be wrong, but that's what it seemed like to me.
Of course the cut back on other things (parades, other 'show' like things, several retail locations closed) doesn't help any.

Even when you discount that, there are more people in the park, in the parking lots, on the busses, at the resorts, etc. A good way that I use to gauge the overall attendance is the busses, dinner reservations, and Disney Springs. When I couldn't get a Wend reservation at Raglan Road until 9:30 several weeks in advance in Jan, I knew we were in trouble.

#2210 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Revenge Travel is not why Disney parks are unpleasant right now.
'the parks have always been expensive' does not justify the insane acceleration of costs in the last decade. It does not justify when Disney takes away capacity to monetize it as special access.
'the lines have always been long' is true - but is not the same story as taking attractions that used to be 20mins or less and now are 45min-1hr.. because Disney is trying to eek every bit of utilization out of stuff vs keeping ahead of the demand.
'Disney has always tried to find a home for your cash' - yes, but they also typically delivered on their expectation of a premium product at a premium price. Now it's a rake you over the coals experience and you just grit your teeth and bear it.
Disney has changed, and the current trend has them flooring it and going harder and harder every quarter.
Yield is the new king.

It was ALWAYS been about making as much $ as soon as Eisner and Wells took over in 84. If this is news to you, well go over to Universal. I hear they are putting up a third gate there.

Revenge Travel IS one of the core reasons why attendance is peaking now - especially over times where historically (yes, I'm using that term again just for you Flynnibus), it has been low. Talk to some of the travel agents, they will tell you the same thing. Disney is slowly reducing the perks that is true, but why shouldn't they? Until people stop visiting, they are going the practical route.

I don't care if they make $. My concerns are the historical aspects of the park that they change, but there is not much I can do is there?

Take a look at the development that is going on in Orlando - it's insane right now, and I'm part of the reason why as I'm closing on a real estate very near the parks in a few weeks because that is where I want to spend more time.

#2227 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I don’t think Disney is marketed to a “middle income” family. If you take the 2020 median household income of 67k before taxes, I don’t know if it is possible to afford it as an annual destination. Seems like more of an upper middle class activity, kinda like collecting pinball machines…

There is no doubt that this is not what Walt's vision was. The Parks are the only place where his soul still resides. However, it was decided way back in 1984 that as long as the people will pay for it - they will charge for it. Walt and Roy have been gone for 51 years. We are lucky that the parks still have their essence and some of their dream intact.

So yes - WDW is not for middle income families or at least not annually. It can be done, but even then it's getting more difficult.

#2232 2 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

You make a great deal of sense, but I take exactly the opposite approach. Our family of 4 has been to WDW probably 6 or 7 times in the last ten years, and on each trip it has gotten more and more stressful. I am a park commando and spend literally weeks prior to the trip researching Touring Plans for the best time of the year to travel, the best days to visit each park, what order should the attractions be visited, etc. Which rides can utilize single rider for shorter lines, when to buy Genie+ or ILL, etc.
Besides all that, we need to make reservations literally months in advance in order to get into the better restaurants. Because the trip is already expensive, adding in flights for 4 to Orlando, kennel costs for two dogs, airport parking for the week, park admissions, meal costs, and now a ride from the airport since Magical Express is no more, and purchase of the new "line shorteners", I feel that we really NEED to maximize our experience while there to help justify the extra cost.
We have found that the added cost of staying on property, and specifically on the monorail, can be worth it in terms of getting you into the parks quickly and maximizing your time on the rides. We tend to prefer the Polynesian, which is very expensive, but also very nice and very conveniently located. If not on property, I hate waiting for the bus to arrive, driving for ten or fifteen minutes to get to the park, and related activities. With the monorail (or maybe now the Skyliner which we have not tried), that time could be spent on rides.
I would say our family of 4 typically spends on the order of $8k or more for a week long trip. Probably closer to 10k if you add in meals, wine, etc.
With that kind of investment, I could never justify missing out on a major attraction. To commit that kind of money and not be able to ride all of the latest rides would make me crazy. I feel like I HAVE to get everything on my list done on each trip to justify the expense.
Maybe if I lived in Orlando and could make many small trips throughout the year, it would be better as you could hit the major attractions over a period of a few weeks or months, but unfortunately, we live in PA. Also unfortunately, we can't justify spending the kind of cash a WDW trip costs more than every few years give or take. We are blessed to have been able to afford to do it as often as we have in the past.
WDW has gotten more and more stressful for me with each new trip. Since by intense planning, I have been able to do everything on my to-do list up to now, I would say that in the end, the trips have all been a success. But the pre-trip stress worrying about everything being planned to the smallest detail gets worse each time. It definitely takes a lot of the fun away for us but I don't really see any solution with increasing costs, crowds, and WDW's attempts to level all times of the year so there are now no more down times.
All having been said, when it goes well, WDW is one of the most fun places in the world to visit, it's worth the money, and we totally love it. I just hope it doesn't get so bad, we are forced to give it up and go somewhere else. It's a tradition for my family that we really enjoy, and I hope to enjoy it with my grandkids in the future.

I used to be just like you. Luckily, I learned to just relax and take it easier in the parks. It is such a nicer experiences for me and my family. Not sure how you are spending 8k for one week though.

#2236 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

They’re building a new DVC expansion at Polynesian due 2024, replacing the now-closed Spirit of Aloha dinner show location. The concept art looks like a Marriott.
Still, if the early-buy incentives are good and it’s a new condo association I will be tempted to buy an addon contract. Poly is my favorite resort.
[quoted image]

Looks dreadfull - same team that built the Rivera I bet.

#2237 2 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

Four flights from PHL to Orlando, 7 nights at Polynesian at around 3k-5k depending on rates, 7 days meals and drinks for 4, 7 days park admissions with park hoppers times 4, airport parking, 7 nights in a kennel for our two Dobes, etc. Adds up fast!

Try renting DVC points if possible.

271 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Methos. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disney-fans-thread?tu=Methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.