D2479C87-4F69-4993-8867-80E122D4EF1E.jpeg
Super_Nintendo_World_(Universal_Studios_Japan) (resized).png
Stan Mikita (resized).jpg
cry.jpg
pasted_imageWhat was I thinking  (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
0FB828AF-2DEC-4FB8-A425-A070389F1FE5 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 2,627 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 53.
#1 4 years ago

Thought I would start a thread for people to talk about Disney Parks. I have always been a big Disney fan and travel to the parks a couple times a year. I am also a Disney Vacation Club timeshare member if anyone has any questions or comments. At this point of my life I go to DW more for the resorts, nice restaurants and bumming around in the Disney atmosphere. Some rides but it is not a huge priority. There is always something to see or do while you are there. I would get too bored on a cruise or island vacation but that’s just me. With Star Wars and Marvel coming on board I am seeing the crowd change a bit from years ago. Average age is definitely going up. Feel free to post pics or share some words...................that is if your bro’s will let you. Haha

1ACBCC51-07DF-43FC-9CD6-949C29DC7B60 (resized).jpeg1ACBCC51-07DF-43FC-9CD6-949C29DC7B60 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

I love the Carousel of progress. Hit it every time we are there. It’s pretty hokie, but has lots of history and makes us feel good.

#3 4 years ago

I enjoy what is in between the attractions these days....

D75A04D7-2554-449E-A0BB-435B98C868CF (resized).jpegD75A04D7-2554-449E-A0BB-435B98C868CF (resized).jpeg
#4 4 years ago

I’m with you Extraballz, when I was a kid it was all about the rides, but the last few trips to DW I enjoyed staying at the Polynesian Resort, eating lots of good food, and walking around more than anything.

There is an Italian restaurant at Epcot that has the best pizza I have ever tasted anywhere. Think it’s called Via Napoli.

B4B82855-5851-4900-94A8-532B2429C3CD (resized).jpegB4B82855-5851-4900-94A8-532B2429C3CD (resized).jpegF7D6D1BA-F815-4E35-8E85-FE097DD26644 (resized).jpegF7D6D1BA-F815-4E35-8E85-FE097DD26644 (resized).jpeg
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

I’m with you Extraballz, when I was a kid it was all about the rides, but the last few trips to DW I enjoyed staying at the Polynesian Resort, eating lots of good food, and walking around more than anything.
There is an Italian restaurant at Epcot that has the best pizza I have ever tasted anywhere. Think it’s called Via Napoli.[quoted image][quoted image]

We went there a couple of years ago with our son, and he was a little too young to go on the rides (age 4) ... and I think taking him on the Twilight Zone Tower probably wasnt' a good idea (I had never been on it either!). But anyway since he wasn't into the rides, we spent a lot of time walking around, and I got this book about ALL the stuff that happens around the park that is not a ride. IT's incredible! They had scavenger hunts, all the characters walking around obviously.. they've also started to do these flash mobs where random people will just break out and start singing and dancing. We saw 4 or 5 of those, easily. Then all the hidden Mickeys... the place is amazing. I only wish some day I could ride the Haunted Mansion without all thecrowds! haha

#6 4 years ago

We love Disney. Just got back from our second trip in a year. This trip there were a bunch of rides I didn't get to do the first trip, so I knocked most of those off the list. I've gotta say, the new rise of the resistance is insanely good as far as screen rides go. Sets a new standard for what is possible with an attraction. We also loved the laugh factory with monsters Inc, different every time. I cannot wait for the Tron coaster, that thing is going to rock.

I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. The characters there are always so great with our girls. This year snow white even stopped to dance with my oldest during the parade. Can't wait to go back

IMG_20200121_174012 (resized).jpgIMG_20200121_174012 (resized).jpg
#7 4 years ago

We love Disney and live close enough where we have annual passes. We go once or twice a month. Now if only we could get some decently maintained machines on property that would be nice. There's pretty much no where to play on this side of Orlando that I've found.

#8 4 years ago

Disneyworld was great but is now a rip off (especially when travelling from Europe).

Epcot is essentially a building site at the moment.

#9 4 years ago

We go twice a year to WDW. Just got back 2 weeks ago from a 10 day stay. We always stay on property and this time we stayed at the Shades of Green, which was very impressive and very inexpensive. We'll probably make this our every other stay resort as the cost is just getting to a price point that is beyond us.

We also go for the atmosphere and the "bubble", although we still hit the parks hard. My kids are now in their teens, but they still love WDW and it's still something we look forward to all year.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Disneyworld was great but is now a rip off (especially when travelling from Europe).
Epcot is essentially a building site at the moment.

That's not ture. They have the Festival of Construction going on right now and it's expected to last all year.

#11 4 years ago

My dad is a huge Disney nut. He goes to Disneyland about four times a year. We did Halloween in Disneyland and that was awesome. I have a hard time with crowds and it was not very crowded. That will probably a family tradition going forward.

We are going on a Disney Cruise coming up. This will be our third year in a row going. Great times, amazing how my boys love it but so do my parents.

Disney can certainly appeal to everyone!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

My dad is a huge Disney nut. He goes to Disneyland about four times a year. We did Halloween in Disneyland and that was awesome. I have a hard time with crowds and it was not very crowded. That will probably a family tradition going forward.
We are going on a Disney Cruise coming up. This will be our third year in a row going. Great times, amazing how my boys love it but so do my parents.
Disney can certainly appeal to everyone!

Did you go on actual Halloween or just a day around it ?

#13 4 years ago

Interesting timing with this post. My wife and I are going to Disney World on Monday. It's really her thing, but I do have a good time when we go.

We're capping the trip off with the Daytona 500, which is really my thing. Should be a great trip!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Did you go on actual Halloween or just a day around it ?

Actually Halloween day. They have a special event, where they have rides, shows and trick or treating. I think it goes 5 to 11. Last year it was at the California park, but from my understanding they alternate it.

#15 4 years ago

My wife and I are going to Dinsey World later this month. Will be checking out Hollywood Studios this time and of course the new Star Wars area there.

Oh, for anyone going to Epcot I highly recommend having dinner at the Biergarten Restaurant in Germany. It's one heck of an awesome buffet, make reservations in advance.

#16 4 years ago

We love going to Disneyworld! We love the Orlando area in general. We've been considering buying a vacation home there at some point.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

My wife and I are going to Dinsey World later this month. Will be checking out Hollywood Studios this time and of course the new Star Wars area there.
Oh, for anyone going to Epcot I highly recommend having dinner at the Biergarten Restaurant in Germany. It's one heck of an awesome buffet, make reservations in advance.

Yes, but it's like $68 per person!

#18 4 years ago

I know it may be out of the way, but the resort game rooms have pinball machines - Pop Century had four of them just three weeks ago. Tron, Marvel, and I can't remember the other two.
Once on the grounds, take the transportation to any of the resorts and find the game rooms. I especially like the Sky Tram from Studios to Pop Century. It sure beats the busses.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Get there early to get in the virtual queue for Rise of the Resistance. It is an amazing ride, but the "tickets" will be gone in less than 30 minutes. It was odd to see how many people were lining up for the entrance at 6 in the morning. So much for vacation.

Oga's Cantina is also worth the effort. Very cool!

#20 4 years ago

My wife and I are going to Disney World in May. The last time I went was in 2nd grade - about 26 years ago! I'm definitely looking forward to it because I know so much has changed and the memories I have of that trip 26 years ago are few and far between.

If anybody has any tips to make the trip great, let me know. We've read a lot already so we are probably familiar with a lot of the more obvious ones like going early/stay late and go back to the hotel mid-day, book fast pass on the app 60 days out, etc. But anything that is less obvious, I'd love to hear it.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

My wife and I are going to Disney World in May. The last time I went was in 2nd grade - about 26 years ago! I'm definitely looking forward to it because I know so much has changed and the memories I have of that trip 26 years ago are few and far between.
If anybody has any tips to make the trip great, let me know. We've read a lot already so we are probably familiar with a lot of the more obvious ones like going early/stay late and go back to the hotel mid-day, book fast pass on the app 60 days out, etc. But anything that is less obvious, I'd love to hear it.

Your best bet is to sit down and read up on some of the blogs. Undercover Tourist and Tom Bricker's site are good ones. Your visit to the parks is all dependent on the date you are going and the crowd levels. Fortunately there is a ton of research which can pinpoint the parks you should visit on the selected dates.

When you book those fast passes, you need to get up early and be ready. They go quick.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

Pick what days you go to which parks carefully. Disney is pretty much busy every day, but there is a clear pattern to what parks are busy when. Don't fight the crowd, play them. For example, if everyone is taking the middle of the day off, that is the time to be there. Get in line at a busy attraction right before close. They will let you stay until the line is empty.

Don't be afraid to engage Disney employees about anything. They are generous, sometimes to a fault. They will take care of you if something goes wrong, even if it is not their fault. Its a great place ... but bring a full wallet.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

You've nailed the real big ones, like making sure to have fast passes set up and a plan of attack.

One big thing that we've recently enjoyed is mobile ordering for the counter service restaurants. You can put in an order on your phone and then just go up to the window to pick it up when it notifies you it's ready.

My only other tip would be to roll with whatever comes and find your enjoyment there no matter what. We've been in rain, crowds, heat, etc.. and it's always a conscious decision to still have the best time. Ride all the rides, eat all the food, and don't stress if you don't get to everything or if something changes in your day. You can always come back. Disney makes it easy to enjoy yourself in every kind of situation. Don't hesitate to ask a cask member if you have a question or want a suggestion, they are always super cool especially if you are nice to them.

#24 4 years ago

Highly recommend booking Sci-Fi Dinner at MGM studios, as soon as possible.
Sweet dining with the Kids.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/sci-fi-dine-in-theater/

Enjoy Indiana show at Dusk....Show is outstanding with Sunset and Darkness for Special effects.
Thrill rides line up fast, some character shows, like Mermaid, have been cut down to under 15 minutes,
which is disappointing to Adults.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

For Myself, we still have family employed there, but go only once every couple years.
We were reminiscing with family this weekend....Coming to Disney in 1973. Working and meeting my wife
there in 1976. Working Parades, Characters, Haunted Mansion, and 20,000 Leagues.
even watched and old vid of my brother when he played Indiana Jones, opening years!
Now its time to do again with Grandkids!

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

You've nailed the real big ones, like making sure to have fast passes set up and a plan of attack.
One big thing that we've recently enjoyed is mobile ordering for the counter service restaurants. You can put in an order on your phone and then just go up to the window to pick it up when it notifies you it's ready.
My only other tip would be to roll with whatever comes and find your enjoyment there no matter what. We've been in rain, crowds, heat, etc.. and it's always a conscious decision to still have the best time. Ride all the rides, eat all the food, and don't stress if you don't get to everything or if something changes in your day. You can always come back. Disney makes it easy to enjoy yourself in every kind of situation. Don't hesitate to ask a cask member if you have a question or want a suggestion, they are always super cool especially if you are nice to them.

This is good advice. You have to take what comes your way, and not get discourged if it doesn't. Several years ago we tried to time all the rides via the planners, and realized that it wore us out and it didn't increase our "fun factor". We always go in January, and a few years ago it was smaller crowds. Well, the last 2 years have been anything but, and when the Magic Kingdom gets full, it ain't no fun.

Going in the early morning and late at night are the best things to do if you stay on site - just go back and chill at your resort, or go see the shows. Plus on your feet for 14 hours is going to catch up to you.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Plus on your feet for 14 hours is going to catch up to you.

Wear your Fitbit or smart watch to the parks and blow out your previous records for steps and miles.

#27 4 years ago

Another big Disney nut and DVC member here. Last year we went to Disneyland over July 4th for Galaxy's Edge (had to make an educated guess as to when it would open when booking the trip), Disney World in August for the opening day of the Florida Galaxy's Edge, then back to Disney World over Christmas for Rise of the Resistance (yes, it's amazing, and worth dealing with all the boarding group craziness to ride).

For Christmas we stayed at the new Riviera Resort, and it quickly became one of our favorites. If you've ever stayed in Epcot for the fireworks and then waited in the resulting bus line, you'll be amazed when you're back at your resort in 15 minutes on the Skyliner. Not parks related, but we also love Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, and that's become sort of our default destination for quick getaways.

I usually monorail over to the Contemporary arcade at some point during our trips. Newer games are generally a safe bet, but then you've got the Tron that I suspect has never had the glass off.

MVIMG_20190703_213154 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190703_213154 (resized).jpgIMG_20190630_145749 (resized).jpgIMG_20190630_145749 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_212910 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_212910 (resized).jpgIMG_20191224_170125 (resized).jpgIMG_20191224_170125 (resized).jpg
#28 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Biergarten Restaurant in Germany

My favorite part of the trip!

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Wear your Fitbit or smart watch to the parks and blow out your previous records for steps and miles.

My kids have them and we walked 56 miles in 10 days. Even with all the food we ate we still came back 3 pounds lighter on average.

#30 4 years ago

Went to Disney World for my daughters 4th birthday. Had a blast. If anyone is going with kids (or just likes collecting things in general) I suggest pin trading with the cast members. Pretty cool. I was trading to get all the Disney Princess's for my daughter. Put them up on a cork board in her room when we got back.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Yes, but it's like $68 per person!

Yeah it pricey but it's great food with a cool atmosphere. That day we went there my wife and I were trying to "drink around the world" by having a drink at every country. By the time we got to Germany we were pretty buzzed and by the time we left the restaurant I was too full to drink anything else lol.

#32 4 years ago

We are going to check out the new Space 220 restaurant. It looks awesome!
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/dining/epcot/space-220/

#33 4 years ago

If anyone is looking for a cool smaller bar to grab a drink and or food check out Trader Sam's Grog Grotto at the Disney Polynesian Resort.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/polynesian-resort/trader-sams-grog-grotto/

#34 4 years ago

All good tips!
Pick out a few really good restaurants, Narcoossee’s or Victoria & Alberts in the Grand Floridian or The California Grill at the top of the Contemporary. A bit pricey but you only live once and if your on the meal plan it’s worth it. Book 6 months in advance as it’s hard to get a reservation.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If anyone is looking for a cool smaller bar to grab a drink and or food check out Trader Sam's Grog Grotto at the Disney Polynesian Resort.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/polynesian-resort/trader-sams-grog-grotto/

Trader Sam's is an Incredible Tiki bar , get there early seating is extremely limited.
Has any one ever used ridemax.com to put together their daily plan. Absolutely amazing program for scheduling your vacation time in the park literally down to the minute.
Also make sure to make dinner reservations otherwise you will be eating sitting on the sidewalk from a take out window. Reservations can be made up to 60 days in advance, maybe even 90 days.
It's so nice to walk in past all the people hoping to get a table and get seated and relax after smashing it all day . Trust me on this .

#36 4 years ago

Last year took my son and while there we got tickets for Magic Kingdom "After Hours" for one night.
That was cool to do. Did the rides over and over without the wait. Free snacks and mickey bars! Walked out 1 am.
Yes I can't wait for the new Tron ride. Noticed that while travelling on the people mover over by Space Mountain.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

https://www.disboards.com/ its all you need!

Also ...best kept Disney secret. The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue (Dinner show) amazing grub and show, book it ASAP Catagory 1 (to be called up on stage and better experience)

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

That's not ture. They have the Festival of Construction going on right now and it's expected to last all year.

We usually go every year since my son was 2 but we are taking this year off due to construction in particular Epcot. Planning for May 2021.
Good chance we will try Disneyland this summer for the first time.

#39 4 years ago

I find it ironic that the food appears to be like the #1 thing people love at Disney according to this thread. To me, that's the worst aspect of Disney. Long lines, having to schedule months in advance, super expensive, etc...it's just not a good experience most of the time. I honestly thought it was just a 'big amusement park' thing until I went to Universal and it was the opposite, easy to get food whenever and you don't need reservations, you can just walk into the Hard Rock for example. There are some good restaurants but overall the food service availability/scheduling is a mess. They need like 50% more restaurants than they currently have to fix it.

#40 4 years ago

Suggestion ... if you are going to collect signatures, get them on a shirt or hat. You can't be wearing the shirt when they sign, but seriously, who goes back through a book on a shelf and admires signatures. The hat or shirt is really cool and will get lots of comments when you wear it. Bring a permanent marker with you for the signatures.

#41 4 years ago

We are going again in October. I have been many times, but this will be a trip mostly dedicated to taking my daughter to everything in her age group (she will have just turned 3). Luckily she is tall for her age at almost 37” barefoot, so she will hopefully be good for everything but the real coasters and such.

Also of note, watching the DFB Guide vids on youtube has really ramped up ideas and excitement for things we never realized existed at the parks. And gives alot of tidbits on hotels food and tricks to save money.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:Trader Sam's is an Incredible Tiki bar , get there early seating is extremely limited.
Has any one ever used ridemax.com to put together their daily plan. Absolutely amazing program for scheduling your vacation time in the park literally down to the minute.
Also make sure to make dinner reservations otherwise you will be eating sitting on the sidewalk from a take out window. Reservations can be made up to 60 days in advance, maybe even 90 days.
It's so nice to walk in past all the people hoping to get a table and get seated and relax after smashing it all day . Trust me on this .

Sam's place is awesome, only discovered it two years ago.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

We usually go every year since my son was 2 but we are taking this year off due to construction in particular Epcot. Planning for May 2021.
Good chance we will try Disneyland this summer for the first time.

Same. Probably wait until late August 2021 before our next trip.

#44 4 years ago

Heading to Orlando for a long weekend tomorrow. Hollywood Studios this Friday and Animal Kingdom Saturday. Then going to finish up with a little Mardi gras action at Universal Sunday.
With our kids getting older we’ve been more into Universal lately, especially Halloween horror nights, so this will be our first visit to Disney in a couple years. Really looking forward to seeing what they’ve done with Galaxy’s Edge in person.

#45 4 years ago

Disney is basically the "default" vacation for my wife and I. Just went 3 weeks ago and tried a new way of doing the parks. We got the park hopper pass, and decided to go with no plan and see what we could get up to. Just cruise and walk around all the parks and enjoy our day.

We got to Animal Kingdom early, did our favorite ride (the safari), walked around, enjoyed a few of the shows and looked at all the animals--basically did whatever struck us as fun at the time since the longest wait was a whopping 20 minutes. We hadn't seen Pandora so we checked that out, got some lunch, and headed to Hollywood Studios to check out the new Star Wars area. It was our first time at Hollywood Studios and while we were pretty underwhelmed with it, we still enjoyed the Falcon ride and got our souvenir aurebesh Coke/Sprite bottles. So many people had customized a droid!!! They must be making a killing there. The stormtroopers walking around accosting people is AWESOME, and we saw Rey hiding in between tables at the restaurants making sure they didn't catch her. That was funny.

From there, took the Skyliner for the first time over to Epcot, our favorite park. The construction didn't bother us--just means there will be more stuff next time we go. We had dinner in Morocco this time around, did Soarin, the boat ride, etc etc. Love Epcot, it's the best.

The following day we did Universal, which is always fun as well. Less "magic" on the whole than Disney, but I really think they put Disney to shame as far as IP integration if we're comparing Harry Potter with Star Wars. I expected Galaxy's Edge to be as immersive and impressive as either HP area at Islands of Adventure, and for me it isn't. Maybe it's just that HP is a more "magical" property, but man, they just didn't miss on Harry Potter.

We have never stayed at a Disney resort, so that will be our next "new" way to experience the parks I think. Disney is great.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

Depending on how long your stay is it is always interesting to spend a day touring the various Disney hotels. Should be a lot easier now as well since the Skyliner opened.
The new pool bar at Caribbean Beach is fantastic. Great food and cocktails.

#47 4 years ago

Huge Disney fan here. In the past 13 months, I went to do the 2019 Dopey challenge, Star Wars races, wine & dine races, and 2020 Dopey challenge.

Already booked this year for Star Wars races, wine & dine races, and dopey challenge 2021.

#48 4 years ago

Same here. 4 little kids, but I think my wife and I enjoy it just as much.
5 Disney trips last year: Disneyland, Disneyworld twice, Aulani, and Disney cruise.
Great times for everyone, and the more you go, the more enjoyable it becomes.
It definitely takes some time to figure out the intricacies of planning a trip though!
Definitely recommend Wilderness Lodge if you have small children.

#49 4 years ago

View from our room at Wilderness Lodge in November

C4EA8A70-D7FD-45C2-9B56-834A83427CCE (resized).jpegC4EA8A70-D7FD-45C2-9B56-834A83427CCE (resized).jpeg
#50 4 years ago

We went to Disney in Oct 2018 and visited EPCOT during the cheese and wine festival. We had no idea that was going on. It was a highlight for sure. Each country at EPCOT had its own kiosk that would serve beverages and food from that country. It was excellent. We stuffed our faces that day! Highly recommend to try and plan your trip when they host the cheese and wine festival.

There are 2,627 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 53.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disney-fans-thread?hl=hookedonpinonics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.