60 days ago

Topic Stats

• 293 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 41 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20200331-101824 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20200302_202643 (resized).jpg
20200226_094727 (resized).jpg
20200224_153141_002 (resized).jpg
DisneylandClosed (resized).jpg
16DAC1BA-27C2-4BA3-93E1-7E588F05CF75 (resized).png
B9B7B6F9-5B4B-46CB-A567-CC370D2497AC (resized).png
AF956314-4001-49F7-8996-37FA315331B0 (resized).jpeg
3587FEF9-040D-4DC3-B8F6-E60388CEA781.jpeg
sonnyeclipsecomicrays_19-e1564343927737 (resized).jpg
E9D86FD3-8BAA-4856-8902-3659ED7A63DE (resized).png
4C7FE1A9-5B62-4313-8753-3EEA9B2B0AFD (resized).png

There are 293 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 58 days ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

or how do you do their food packages? What’s best?

Never done a food package, but we usually hit one sit down restaurant a day, with drinks. The best option we found for that was the "Tables of Wonderland" discount card. Costs about $150 I think, but lasts a year and takes 20% of the tab, including alchohol. Adds in an 18% tip, so you're basically just paying the cost of the meal/drinks with no tip each bill. A couple expensive meals and it's paid for.

We bought DVC points through resale, which is cheaper but you do lose some benefits (That weren't important to us). The important thing we learned was that you want to buy DVC where you want to stay. Disney pushes buying points at the places you don't want to stay and then using your points for places you DO want to stay, but due to the different dates that you can book, you can't always get to stay where you want.

You can also rent points from people online that aren't using them, which helps too.

#102 58 days ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

If you like to say in the deluxe resorts it's worth it. We bought into the polynesian in resale for $140/point. I think the retail is now $235/point. After 8 trips, you'll break even and then it's just the dues. For our family of 5, it's completely worth it. I wish we'd have done it sooner since we go every year.

We go twice a year, but I've heard that Disney changed the rules on reselling. So is it better to just look at one of the older contracts for sale and purchase that? We enjoy staying in the moderate resorts more than the Deluxes, but wouldn't say no to them either.

#103 58 days ago
Quoted from Methos:

We go twice a year, but I've heard that Disney changed the rules on reselling. So is it better to just look at one of the older contracts for sale and purchase that? We enjoy staying in the moderate resorts more than the Deluxes, but wouldn't say no to them either.

With resale, you don't get the full benefits of having the DVC blue card. However, 95% of restaurants and merch places that would have given you a discount with the blue card, will give it to you anyways if you show them in the app that you're a dvc member.

Buying direct would have cost me an extra 20k. I'll never spend enough on merch and meals for the discount to add up to 20k. I'm not at the point where an annual pass makes sense as we only go once per year. You can get the blue card if you buy 100 points direct and the rest resale.

#104 58 days ago

Another big Disney Parks fan over here. I’m lucky enough to have been to all the resorts worldwide multiple times, apart from Shanghai - had a trip booked to check it out last year on the way back from Hong Kong, but had to abandon it at the last minute due to visa issues with my wife. She was born in HK, and apparently the mainland Chinese government view her as a Chinese national despite her being a UK citizen for many many years now. Hope to get out there before long to check out their Pirates of the Caribbean.

Love WDW and I’ve visited countless times over the years, but I feel like the quality of the product has been slipping for a while now and the costs just keep rising. Also not a fan of the Fastpass+ system - much prefer the MaxPass system out in CA. Do enjoy the Disney bubble in FL though. Agree that Epcot is a mess of construction at the moment, I often refer to it as my favourite bar. Love drinking around World Showcase, especially during the Food and Wine Festival, but will miss Illuminations on future visits. Always stay at the Yacht or Beach Club so we can walk into Epcot in the evenings. Via Napoli is a must for us every trip, as is The Boathouse in Disney Springs and California Grill at the Contemporary. Ale and Compass at the Yacht Club is a hidden gem. Lots of things to love but the experience as a whole just isn’t as good as it used to be, whilst also costing much more.

We now tend to spend more time staying at Universal than WDW when we visit Orlando - the hotels are better and less expensive, the unlimited front of the line pass is a huge advantage, and it’s nice to not have to plan your dining six months in advance / rides 60 days in advance - we find it a much more relaxing experience as we can just wake up and decide what we want to do and eat that day instead of sticking to a pre-arranged schedule. I love spending the afternoon drinking by the pool at either Hard Rock or Royal Pacific before heading into the parks in the late afternoon for some rides, before dinner and drinks at City Walk. Love the whole resort, especially the boats that take you along the water ways from the hotels to the parks. Halloween Horror Nights is also a great time.

The Tokyo Disney resort is amazing and should be on every fan’s bucket list - Disney Sea is just incredible. Hong Kong is a small park but Mystic Manor is one of my favourite Disney attractions anywhere. I wouldn’t go to HK just to visit the park, but HK is a great place to visit and the park is just a bonus. Quite a lot of people also tie a quick stop at HK Disney into a Tokyo trip. Not a big fan of the Paris resort, which is unfortunate as it’s the closest one to me by some margin. It would be great to live closer to any of the other parks!

Edit: I actually proposed to my wife at WDW! Got down on one knee at Sea Breeze Point on the Boardwalk, then went straight into Epcot for the F&W festival to celebrate which was perfect.

#105 58 days ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

I love the Carousel of progress. Hit it every time we are there. It’s pretty hokie, but has lots of history and makes us feel good.

John’s hand fell off during our show,” anonymous user ColtsMcgree wrote alongside a photo of the animatronic — named "John" — missing his right hand during the 1900s portion of the rotating theater attraction.

Screenshot_20200206-195223 (resized).png
#106 57 days ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

John’s hand fell off during our show,” anonymous user ColtsMcgree wrote alongside a photo of the animatronic — named "John" — missing his right hand during the 1900s portion of the rotating theater attraction. [quoted image]

Poor Carousel is having some back luck latley. This and it had that crazy kid jump on stage a few weeks ago.

#107 57 days ago

Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Coming to Walt Disney World Resort

#108 55 days ago

My wife and I flew down for my daughter’s Cheerleading nationals. Our first time down. We would spend our morning/afternoon at the cheer events then hit up the different parks. Our daughter had to stay with the cheer group so we had 4 days to ourselves. It was nice to do as a one time thing but not my cup of tea. Everything was super expensive, long, long lines and over crowded. Used every fast pass we could but that only covered so many rides. My favorite thing was Epcot. Really enjoyed al the different architecture buildings. You could say we’re kinda spoiled since we live so close to Hershey. We have season passes and can go during off season and light rainy days so hardly have to wait in lines. The two to three hour wait at Disney just sucked. I might give it one more try next year so my feelings could change. And to be fair. There were over 18,000 people just for the high school cheer event. So that could have been why it was so crowded.

25EAD884-B3D9-42E6-95C4-309486FB9030 (resized).jpeg
#109 55 days ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

And to be fair. There were over 18,000 people just for the high school cheer event. So that could have been why it was so crowded.[quoted image]

There is always something happening or a special ticket deal, so there is very rarely a down time at all. January used to be a calm month, it's crowded. Prior to Spring Breaks used to be decent, it's crowded.

Wife is frustrated as we're finding less and less times that we can go and enjoy ourselves rather than fight through the crowds.

#110 55 days ago

Personally I'm hating all of the paid events that they keep adding that cut hours out of park time. Halloween parties starting in the third week of august. It stinks when you book a trip and then you find that 3 nights of the trip have magic kingdom closing at 6.

I miss the days of extra morning hours every day for people staying at the resorts.

#111 55 days ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Personally I'm hating all of the paid events that they keep adding that cut hours out of park time. Halloween parties starting in the third week of august. It stinks when you book a trip and then you find that 3 nights of the trip have magic kingdom closing at 6.
I miss the days of extra morning hours every day for people staying at the resorts.

We were at AK this Jan and one of our favorite rides was not operating (Primeval Whirl). At 8PM, we see the lights come on and go over there. Turns out it was operating at 9PM for a "special event". I get that they are trying to make $, but I hope they ratchet that crap down.

#112 55 days ago
Quoted from Rando:

There is always something happening or a special ticket deal, so there is very rarely a down time at all. January used to be a calm month, it's crowded. Prior to Spring Breaks used to be decent, it's crowded.
Wife is frustrated as we're finding less and less times that we can go and enjoy ourselves rather than fight through the crowds.

As a family, we would go every Christmas. This is back in the 80’s and mid-90’s.

We would get to larks first thing in morning, go back to room at 2pm to catch a nap, then grab dinner at 5:30, then go back to the parks and stay till closing at 11pm. We would walk on to every ride after dinner. It was great.

The last time we did that in the 90’s, was 1993. In 1999, we went for New Year’s Eve. Only time I’ve ever been in a park that was closed due to capacity. That day, after all was special.

Fast forward to Christmas 2008...the parks were mobbed all day long. Was not fun...I’ll never do Christmas is Disney again.

Marathon week 2019, wasn’t too bad with the crowds. This year, it was nuts...I think that mostly has to do with Star Wars land being fully open.

#113 54 days ago

The rumor is Disney will be modifying or doing away with the fastpass system. Possibly going to a paid system the day of or selling experiences with rides and meet and greets already pre arranged. So now you'll need to spend more money to even have that tiny relief from lines

#114 54 days ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

My wife and I flew down for my daughter’s Cheerleading nationals. Our first time down. We would spend our morning/afternoon at the cheer events then hit up the different parks. Our daughter had to stay with the cheer group so we had 4 days to ourselves. It was nice to do as a one time thing but not my cup of tea. Everything was super expensive, long, long lines and over crowded. Used every fast pass we could but that only covered so many rides. My favorite thing was Epcot. Really enjoyed al the different architecture buildings. You could say we’re kinda spoiled since we live so close to Hershey. We have season passes and can go during off season and light rainy days so hardly have to wait in lines. The two to three hour wait at Disney just sucked. I might give it one more try next year so my feelings could change. And to be fair. There were over 18,000 people just for the high school cheer event. So that could have been why it was so crowded.[quoted image]

WDW is no longer (if it ever was) a place to just go and play it by ear. If you want to hit every major attraction on your visit and minimize waiting in line, you have to use every advantage in the book to help. Make FP+ reservations MONTHS in advance, use their on-line My Disney app so you can make last minute additions, make dinner reservations (at the better restaurants) weeks in advance and months for the best places. Also, know the park layouts and use something like Touring Plans to understand how to move through the parks and which rides to hit first, second, third, etc. And most of all, don't sleep in. Be at the park 30 minutes to 1 hr before opening to enjoy the coveted rope drop short lines, which last for about 45 minutes - not much more, and only if you are at the front of the pack by being there early!

Some feel this takes all the fun out of the trip, and to a certain extent it does. But if you have made the decision to enjoy WDW and are spending the small fortune to go, why not experience your full money's worth? I personally love WDW and would go twice a year if I could afford it and stay on the monorail route. As it is, we try to go every few years. Friends of mine that live near Orlando have annual passes and stop by many times a year when crowds are small, so the need to do everything in a couple of days is not an issue for them.

I hope WDW doesn't change the FP system and require more event type entrances. That would suck and might possibly be the final straw to stop me from going. Its already expensive enough!

#115 54 days ago
Quoted from sbmania:

WDW is no longer (if it ever was) a place to just go and play it by ear. If you want to hit every major attraction on your visit and minimize waiting in line, you have to use every advantage in the book to help. Make FP+ reservations MONTHS in advance, use their on-line My Disney app so you can make last minute additions, make dinner reservations (at the better restaurants) weeks in advance and months for the best places. Also, know the park layouts and use something like Touring Plans to understand how to move through the parks and which rides to hit first, second, third, etc. And most of all, don't sleep in. Be at the park 30 minutes to 1 hr before opening to enjoy the coveted rope drop short lines, which last for about 45 minutes - not much more, and only if you are at the front of the pack by being there early!
Some feel this takes all the fun out of the trip, and to a certain extent it does. But if you have made the decision to enjoy WDW and are spending the small fortune to go, why not experience your full money's worth? I personally love WDW and would go twice a year if I could afford it and stay on the monorail route. As it is, we try to go every few years. Friends of mine that live near Orlando have annual passes and stop by many times a year when crowds are small, so the need to do everything in a couple of days is not an issue for them.
I hope WDW doesn't change the FP system and require more event type entrances. That would suck and might possibly be the final straw to stop me from going. Its already expensive enough!

Agreed. Anyone that attends on a 8+ crowd day during the hours of 11-7 is just asking for headache. If you're going to do that, spend those hours going to the shows or the lesser wait line attractions. Years ago we were commando park visitors, but those years are gone. We hit what we can, go in the morning and late evening, and then chill during the day.

#116 54 days ago

Did world of dreams tour last year... Got to do a lot of special things... Like get into the park before it opens... Get into any restaurant like " Be our guests" and " Cinderella's royal table" …. No lines walk onto any ride and ride as many times as you like. Also VIP transport into and out of parks you get to use employee entrances ect. Got to see the aquarium behind the scenes at epcot and meet the trainers and dolphins.. At Animal wild kingdom we got to meet animal trainers and go behind scenes feed and touch animals.. I got to pet a Rhino... Special viewing areas for parades and firework shows.. We got to go inside Cinderalla's castle and view the room inside the castle! Most ppl probably cant afford to do it yet its incredible if you can...

#117 54 days ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Does she do any of the challenges?

None yet, she was thinking about the half and full challenge, but she’s trying to get her marathon time under 3:30 to qualify for Boston. She has done the marathon there every year, and 2 out of 4 times we found out we were having a kid the day after the race. One was when we were checking out of the Polynesian, and the other was the day after we got home. Pretty crazy timing honestly.

#118 54 days ago

Some pics of inside the room in the castle

2204493F-563F-4991-83B4-1AADFA906D0E (resized).jpegAA5AB574-8B69-4B55-AECB-8E9EBEA09733 (resized).jpegB5B8849E-8704-4840-84C4-3BB45094AE9E (resized).jpegE5E56D61-9545-4197-8223-62CAA37603F4 (resized).jpegB9E40E6E-B312-4BB6-BD7A-1F8E118C1126 (resized).jpeg9F36CC57-8582-4E58-9B8C-A2433F213C60 (resized).jpeg
#119 54 days ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

None yet, she was thinking about the half and full challenge, but she’s trying to get her marathon time under 3:30 to qualify for Boston. She has done the marathon there every year, and 2 out of 4 times we found out we were having a kid the day after the race. One was when we were checking out of the Polynesian, and the other was the day after we got home. Pretty crazy timing honestly.

Disney isn’t the race for trying to qualify for Boston. Disney even admits that outright. Too many bottlenecks, too many tight turns, too many people stopping.

#120 54 days ago

Another way to get by the lines and crowds and such is to just live right next to the damn place and have an annual pass and go in and out whenever you feel like it until you’ve seen every square inch of it about 1000 times. It’s fun though

#121 54 days ago

"World of dreams tour" $12,000 ouch!

#122 54 days ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

But you can have a second day for only $10,000. So buying it is like putting 2 grand into your savings account.

#123 54 days ago

I love going to Disney world and have gotten really, really good at riding everything and never waiting in line more than 15 minutes for anything, ever. My methods are much different than the "normal" advice you will hear. But the great thing about Disney world is how it has such broad appeal and so many ways to approach it.

Last trip, my kids actually begged me to wait in a long line for seven dwarfs mine train because they had never had a chance to experience the games in the queue.

Disneyland in California has a whole different system but it's also good as long as you know how to use it. We were there over a crowded weekend, didn't wait in lines. Once you learn how to do it, it's a beautiful thing.

#124 54 days ago
Quoted from Fizz:

I love going to Disney world and have gotten really, really good at riding everything and never waiting in line more than 15 minutes for anything, ever. My methods are much different than the "normal" advice you will hear. But the great thing about Disney world is how it has such broad appeal and so many ways to approach it.
Last trip, my kids actually begged me to wait in a long line for seven dwarfs mine train because they had never had a chance to experience the games in the queue.
Disneyland in California has a whole different system but it's also good as long as you know how to use it. We were there over a crowded weekend, didn't wait in lines. Once you learn how to do it, it's a beautiful thing.

Please explain!

#125 54 days ago
Quoted from Fizz:

You do miss some of the production and anticipation if you keep getting fast passes all day. 7D has some of the best. Avatar is pretty good, but not 3 hours worth of good.

#126 54 days ago

Here’s where Disney World went wrong in terms of the crowds. In 1971, Magic Kingdom opens with Contemporary (no bay lake tower), Polynesian (before it expanded), Golf Resort, and Fort Wilderness.

Epcot opens in 1982...still same amount of rooms.

MGM opens in 1989...Grand Floridian opens around that time. Caribbean Beach opens up around that time too.

Then Beach & Yacht club, Polynesian already had expanded years earlier, Boardwalk opens, Wilderness Lodge opens.

1998, Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge opens (2001 one for lodge).

Then All Star movies resort opens.

Then one more hotel after another.

I think they are up to 26 hotels...with 4 theme parks. The parks aren’t being expanded enough to hold more guests...it’s time for a 5th park to disperse the crowds some.

Speaking strictly from an economic standpoint, they aren’t charging enough for the park tickets. The fact that their dead times still have crazy wait times for rides, shows they aren’t charging enough. In order to make the parks more enjoyable, they need to raise prices enough to offset any lost foot traffic.

#127 54 days ago
Quoted from Methos:

You do miss some of the production and anticipation if you keep getting fast passes all day. 7D has some of the best. Avatar is pretty good, but not 3 hours worth of good.

Yep, this is true for sure. There's so much to see that people definitely miss a lot of it.

We use a lot of fast passes, but not as many as you might think based on my statements above. There are lots of aspects to avoiding lines, as well as avoiding heat! And getting as much value possible out of the trip.

#128 54 days ago
Quoted from Liftserv:

Please explain!

You know, I've often thought about writing up my own little guide to how to do this. Not like all the bloggers out there who are trying to make a living writing about Disney. But just because I get a lot of people asking me how I do it, and a lot of people I know just don't think a Disney trip is worth it because they don't know how to get the most out of it.

And all of the existing blogs are written by locals who go to the parks every day. They don't understand the tourist perspective.

#129 54 days ago
Quoted from DaveH:

But you can have a second day for only $10,000. So buying it is like putting 2 grand into your savings account.

Yep I did 4 days of world of dreams plus stayed at the grand Polynesian in one of those rooms over the water not cheap yet the memories last forever unlike your money.. going to do the land of dreams tour here in Cali next... My family and I picked a random family in the Park and shared our world of dreams tour with them one day! It was awesome to share the experience with another family.. I let my daughter pick the lucky family...

#130 54 days ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

That’s actually not correct... you still have to buy park admission haha it’s Disney.... But once inside everything is free from food to anything in the shops. You also get 2 guides that basically do anything you want and get anything you want..

#131 54 days ago
Quoted from Fizz:

And all of the existing blogs are written by locals who go to the parks every day. They don't understand the tourist perspective.

Truth!

#132 54 days ago

Yeah true I guess. On my last trip to Dland not long ago, I didn't wait in line more than 10 minutes for anything. That included Star Wars Millennium Falcon and the cantina. The wacko passholders I go with are whizzes at working with the app, getting fast passes, knowing the best times to do everything, and know every path and every shortcut so you never have to waste a single step or second of time going from point A to B all while avoiding the crowds of tourists. Plus if something is all stacked up, they just say f-it, we'll do it when we come back next time, or the time after that, no big deal. Tourists don't have that luxury.

#133 54 days ago
Quoted from madscientist101:

Yep I did 4 days of world of dreams plus stayed at the grand Polynesian in one of those rooms over the water not cheap yet the memories last forever unlike your money.. going to do the land of dreams tour here in Cali next... My family and I picked a random family in the Park and shared our world of dreams tour with them one day! It was awesome to share the experience with another family.. I let my daughter pick the lucky family...

You sir are the shit!!! So awesome to share that with some one random!

#134 54 days ago
Quoted from madscientist101:

That’s actually not correct... you still have to buy park admission haha it’s Disney.... But once inside everything is free from food to anything in the shops. You also get 2 guides that basically do anything you want and get anything you want..

The $12K gets you anything in the shops? Like merch or you mean just food?

This sounds awesome!

#135 54 days ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

The $12K gets you anything in the shops? Like merch or you mean just food?
This sounds awesome!

Yes merchandise in stores are free. I am sure there are limits to it like these crazy crystal castle they sell.

FD3A4ECB-0BEF-4ABD-91D4-C8F4ECBED633 (resized).jpeg
#136 54 days ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

In order to make the parks more enjoyable, they need to raise prices enough to offset any lost foot traffic.

For DisneyWorld,
They just raised prices (they do a couple times a year) of the Annual passes overnight.
But they have a deal for Florida residents to get tickets as cheap as $49 per day.
Rumors are the Fast Passes will soon cost $$.

So they raise cost for the repeat devoted customers, and then let a flood of cheap non-pass locals in, and have long lines, but can pay to avoid lines. It's crazy, may not renew, but Tron, Mickey Railroad, Rattatoui, and Guardians of the Galaxy coming soon, what to do?!?

Also heard that they're closing two Asia Pacific parks due to the virus for potentially a couple months.

#137 54 days ago
Quoted from Rando:

For DisneyWorld,
They just raised prices (they do a couple times a year) of the Annual passes overnight.
But they have a deal for Florida residents to get tickets as cheap as $49 per day.
Rumors are the Fast Passes will soon cost $$.
So they raise cost for the repeat devoted customers, and then let a flood of cheap non-pass locals in, and have long lines, but can pay to avoid lines. It's crazy, may not renew, but Tron, Mickey Railroad, Rattatoui, and Guardians of the Galaxy coming soon, what to do?!?
Also heard that they're closing two Asia Pacific parks due to the virus for potentially a couple months.

Come November, I'll be forced to renew my annual pass.

I plan on doing Wine & Dine '20, Dopey Challenge '21 and Star Wars races '21. Doesn't make sense for me to pay for photo pass each trip at $200, plus two 5 day hoppers and an 8 day hopper pass.

Here's what I think they should do with the fast pass system...get rid of the current system. They should introduce a fast pass system, where they only give out 100 fast pass tickets per day for each park. Cost should be $1,000 for offseason, $2,000 when it's a little busier, and $5,000 for the busiest seasons. Each fast pass ticket, will give you unlimited times you can ride the rides in all the parks. By limiting it to 100 per park, it will have zero effect on the lines for each ride.

For instance, if a family wants to fast pass Magic Kingdom for the day during Christmas week, figure family of 4, it would cost them $20,000 for the day to do it. Figure for Disney, that is pretty much pure profit.

Me personally, I hate the fast pass system. It creates longer lines than is necessary to ride the rides. The current execs in charge of Disney, I think what they forget, is that certain rides were designed to eat up the crowds. Look at Star Tours, Pirates of Caribbean, & Space Mountain, those rides were designed with two lines in order to make the attraction as efficient as possible. Now, for those 3 rides, the second line is used as a fast pass line, thus, there are no crowds in those lines.

3 hour wait for Space Mountain was unheard of...until fast pass came along.

#138 53 days ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I plan on doing Wine & Dine '20, Dopey Challenge '21 and Star Wars races '21. Doesn't make sense for me to pay for photo pass each trip at $200, plus two 5 day hoppers and an 8 day hopper pass.
Here's what I think they should do with the fast pass system...get rid of the current system. They should introduce a fast pass system, where they only give out 100 fast pass tickets per day for each park. Cost should be $1,000 for offseason, $2,000 when it's a little busier, and $5,000 for the busiest seasons. Each fast pass ticket, will give you unlimited times you can ride the rides in all the parks. By limiting it to 100 per park, it will have zero effect on the lines for each ride.
For instance, if a family wants to fast pass Magic Kingdom for the day during Christmas week, figure family of 4, it would cost them $20,000 for the day to do it. Figure for Disney, that is pretty much pure profit.
Me personally, I hate the fast pass system. It creates longer lines than is necessary to ride the rides. The current execs in charge of Disney, I think what they forget, is that certain rides were designed to eat up the crowds. Look at Star Tours, Pirates of Caribbean, & Space Mountain, those rides were designed with two lines in order to make the attraction as efficient as possible. Now, for those 3 rides, the second line is used as a fast pass line, thus, there are no crowds in those lines.
3 hour wait for Space Mountain was unheard of...until fast pass came along.

Getting rid of fastpass like that would not help profits. Right now, I have a chance at 3 fastpasses (plus in the app). If I have to pay $10,000 for two people to have them for a day, I won’t do it. So the only thing I could do is stand in the long line for every ride. I wouldn’t want to even go at that point. So yes, it would cut down on the lines, but all the money I would spend there would also be gone.

Unfortunately the price hikes are not cutting down the number of people going, so really there is no solution for them. Insanely popular, and insanely expensive (I always stay in a Disney hotel, and take the magic express, which means every dime I spend on the vacation goes to them).

#139 53 days ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Here's what I think they should do with the fast pass system...get rid of the current system.

Years ago (Maybe 5 or 6 years?) they had a Paper Fastpass system, where you would go to kiosks on the day of your trip, get a Fastpass for a ride that was within an hour. After that hour was up you could get another Fastpass (or it was right after you rode, can't remember). So as you wandered the park you could pickup FastPasses on the fly.

Or if you were crazy like me, you would run to a ride, get a Fastpass, run back to your wife/kids, tell them where to go, run to another kiosk, get a Fastpass for the next ride, run back to the first ride to meet the family, ride ride, give them the Fastpasses for the next ride, run to a third ride... Burned a lot of calories in those days!

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

They should introduce a fast pass system, where they only give out 100 fast pass tickets per day for each park. Cost should be $1,000 for offseason, $2,000 when it's a little busier, and $5,000 for the busiest seasons. Each fast pass ticket, will give you unlimited times you can ride the rides in all the parks. By limiting it to 100 per park, it will have zero effect on the lines for each ride.

Problem is, if Disney can sell 100 per park, they'll sell 200. And if those sell out, they'll sell 300. They seem to be all about park saturation these days.

My wife and I have an argument about this. I think this is Disney's goal because they like as full a park as they can get. Wife says this is stupid because a filled park with discount tickets and the cheapest annual passes doesn't bring more money because those people don't spend a lot of money once in the parks. They bring their lunches and don't hit restaurants, smuggle in alcohol and don't buy drinks. But I'm seeing lots and lots of lines for food/drinks/shops, so somebody is buying lots of stuff!

#140 53 days ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Getting rid of fastpass like that would not help profits. Right now, I have a chance at 3 fastpasses (plus in the app). If I have to pay $10,000 for two people to have them for a day, I won’t do it. So the only thing I could do is stand in the long line for every ride. I wouldn’t want to even go at that point. So yes, it would cut down on the lines, but all the money I would spend there would also be gone.
Unfortunately the price hikes are not cutting down the number of people going, so really there is no solution for them. Insanely popular, and insanely expensive (I always stay in a Disney hotel, and take the magic express, which means every dime I spend on the vacation goes to them).

They want people to not wait in line so you're spending $ on food and merch, but they are riding the hog right now because of the economy. Once that dips, they are going to be in a cash crunch world of hurt. I'm surprised they are investing so much into the parks and hotels, but I agree that they need another park.

They did just purchase 300+ acres adjacent to their west boarder. We'll have to wait and see - but as much flak that Eisner got (justififabily), he is responsible for the two newer parks.

The one thing that pisses me off is their plans to sell alcohol at the MK. Walt was expressively against that. EPCOT is a literaly booz festival now, and alcohol is easy to get at the other two, but MK should be left dry.

#141 53 days ago
Quoted from Liftserv:

Please explain!

These claims usually involve cold fusion.. and time travel.

No really.. it usually boils down to people who think a system works, but in reality it's just smoke and mirrors.. like, not actually counting the time not physically in line, or "well then we don't ride, and just come back another day..." or tricks that work for one ride one day, but can't be applied more than once... Or flat out scamming the system like using the Assistance Passes.. or counting 'child swap' rides as no waits, when they had to wait for the first time through, etc.

Trust me... these are all 'in their head' claims.. not 'representative of the real world'

Or the simpliest... used to be the people that would only go at the lowest time of the year and then boast "oh I never wait more than 20mins for a ride" -- yet fail to face the reality that their ability to go in the dead season doesn't apply to everyone else the same.. yet they boast like they are on some high horse.

Bad news is... Disney, especially in WDW, has effectively killed 'low seasons' by generating demand in traditionally lower periods and by reducing overhead driving up wait times even when crowd levels aren't as high.

#142 53 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

These claims usually involve cold fusion.. and time travel.
No really.. it usually boils down to people who think a system works, but in reality it's just smoke and mirrors.. like, not actually counting the time not physically in line, or "well then we don't ride, and just come back another day..." or tricks that work for one ride one day, but can't be applied more than once... Or flat out scamming the system like using the Assistance Passes.. or counting 'child swap' rides as no waits, when they had to wait for the first time through, etc.
Trust me... these are all 'in their head' claims.. not 'representative of the real world'
Or the simpliest... used to be the people that would only go at the lowest time of the year and then boast "oh I never wait more than 20mins for a ride" -- yet fail to face the reality that their ability to go in the dead season doesn't apply to everyone else the same.. yet they boast like they are on some high horse.
Bad news is... Disney, especially in WDW, has effectively killed 'low seasons' by generating demand in traditionally lower periods and by reducing overhead driving up wait times even when crowd levels aren't as high.

Thanks, flynnibus, for explaining my mental incapacities.

You keep doing wdw your way and I'll keep doing it my way, with no waiting in line.

#143 53 days ago

By the way, I don't use a single one of the "tricks" you listed in your little rant.

#144 53 days ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

You can do this today... just pay for a VIP tour guide.

The whole 'impact of FastPass' is totally within Disney's control. They CHOOSE to let the FP load crush the standby by the high ratio of FP riders to standby riders. They want to coach new customers that 'guaranteeing they will have an experience...' is the perfect way things should be. Don't pay any attention to how it makes your trip a locked in schedule, or tons of planning, or boost wait times everywhere.. It's all about that piece of mind that you know you will see Mickey at Town Hall, etc..

Disney knows quite well what FP distribution does.. and they are happy to keep pushing it further.

And Paid Fastpass is all but inevitable. It's already done over seas... Disneyland has already monetized Digital Access to FP with MaxPass... WDW already has small scale programs for club level guests, etc.

I don't think Disney will do away with 'free' FP, but they will make a money that will upsell everyone to an enhanced FP.

#145 53 days ago
Quoted from Fizz:

By the way, I don't use a single one of the "tricks" you listed in your little rant.

Then please... give us an outline..

You sound like the guy that knows how to beat the casinos too

#146 53 days ago

Well, I thought I was the king of managing WDW lines, or at least, maybe a prince. But even I admit to waits on some rides. Like maybe 45 minutes for my second ride of the day on Flight of the Nav'ii for instance. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the new Star Wars rides yet so that remains to be seen. But if you are able to get on anything, and only wait 15 minutes - you have much to teach me. How do you do it? Just a few tips?

#147 53 days ago
Quoted from Methos:

Once that dips, they are going to be in a cash crunch world of hurt.

This will never happen. The only thing that could slow Disney down would be something like the virus in China. The people that want to go that are driving the decision (aka mostly Mom's) will do ANYTHING to go. It doesn't matter if the lines are 10 hours, costs $10k, etc, it's irrelevant...there is no logic that will change the mind of a mom that has nostalgia for it.

The appeal of Disney is like 99% nostalgia and like 1% actual performance, which is why nothing ever effects it. There could be a hurricane, every ride broken, and every restaurant closed and the park would still be full of families.

#148 53 days ago
Quoted from Methos:

They want people to not wait in line so you're spending $ on food and merch, but they are riding the hog right now because of the economy. Once that dips, they are going to be in a cash crunch world of hurt. I'm surprised they are investing so much into the parks and hotels, but I agree that they need another park.

Disney has the easy answer for economy dips... Discounts.

Disney already scales their operations both in the parks and in the hotels like this all the time. Attractions go seasonal... Rooms go under 'renovation' for longer than needed.. Hours are cut... rides run at lower capacities... reduce or eliminate live entertainment..

WDW has huge overhead... but it is quite adjustable in how they manage expenses. Regular fans who watch the company closely see these tweaks all the time (and moan about them excessively).

Disney rightfully pressed onward with DCA v2.0 plans when the 2008 economy dropped. It's common business to 'buy in the dip' and Disney often invests in the dips so that when things get hot again.. they are right there and ready.

Disney has steadily been converting more and more of their Deluxe room inventory to DVC.. which in turn equates to 'captive audiences'. Even if the DVC owner doesn't go, they rent the room, and someone else comes in. It's been a boom for Disney.

Add in things like the 'festivals' and Disney gets to double-dip all over the place.

#149 53 days ago

I miss Mr. Toad.

#150 53 days ago
Quoted from taylor34:

This will never happen. The only thing that could slow Disney down would be something like the virus in China. The people that want to go that are driving the decision (aka mostly Mom's) will do ANYTHING to go. It doesn't matter if the lines are 10 hours, costs $10k, etc, it's irrelevant...there is no logic that will change the mind of a mom that has nostalgia for it.
The appeal of Disney is like 99% nostalgia and like 1% actual performance, which is why nothing ever effects it. There could be a hurricane, every ride broken, and every restaurant closed and the park would still be full of families.

I don't agree at all. They have suffered before, like when 9/11 happened. Their demand is elastic like anything else. Once the economy dips, they will feel it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 26.95
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Stuff
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 7.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 16.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
There are 293 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside