D2479C87-4F69-4993-8867-80E122D4EF1E.jpeg
Super_Nintendo_World_(Universal_Studios_Japan) (resized).png
Stan Mikita (resized).jpg
cry.jpg
pasted_imageWhat was I thinking  (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
0FB828AF-2DEC-4FB8-A425-A070389F1FE5 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 2,627 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 53.
#1851 2 years ago

Anyone there now? How are crowds?

January 4th can’t get here fast enough.

#1852 2 years ago

Book yourself into one of the hotels by Disney Springs. A lot cheaper stay, and you get transportation as well. It's the only way to do it cheaply anymore.

#1853 2 years ago

After 27 years of DVC, we sold the points today ...well most of them

The yearly maintenance bill arrived a couple weeks ago and it wasn't pretty (over $10k/yr now). We kept 380 of the Old Key West points (cheapest) but sold the rest (remaining OKW, Bay Lake and Animal Kingdom Lodge). This is enough for a 2 bedroom week stay at almost all of the resorts each year minus Xmas week or the park view at Bay Lake (which was our favorite). My parents are too old now to take multiple trips with their friends and my family is too busy to go every year now, plus the price increases and lost perks. We'd rather spend the week at the Disney Hilton Head Resort and relax there. Lots of paperwork to sign but the process was super easy.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1854 2 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

The yearly maintenance bill arrived a couple weeks ago and it wasn't pretty (over $10k/yr now). We kept 380 of the Old Key West points (cheapest) but sold the rest (remaining OKW, Bay Lake and Animal Kingdom Lodge). This is enough for a 2 bedroom week stay at almost all of the resorts each year minus Xmas week or the park view at Bay Lake (which was our favorite). My parents are too old now to take multiple trips with their friends and my family is too busy to go every year now, plus the price increases and lost perks. We'd rather spend the week at the Disney Hilton Head Resort and relax there. Lots of paperwork to sign but the process was super easy.
[quoted image]

yours, or your parents?

#1855 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Parking is $45!!!???

No parking is $25 for standard and $50 for preferred in Disney World

#1856 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Anyone there now? How are crowds?
January 4th can’t get here fast enough.

We are here, crowds are pretty crazy but we have fun doing the things that aren’t as crowded or hitting big attractions in the morning or at night.
We’ve seen some parts of the lines that we have never seen before that’s for sure!
When we go at Christmas we go in with the attitude we are just there for the atmosphere and we take it slow and don’t worry about getting on rides if it’s too busy, we get on all of them in the summers.
We did one all day gung ho day at Hollywood Studios on Christmas Day, no genie or lightning lane and we were still able to ride both Star Wars rides and Minnie Mickey, slinky dog and toy story see the frozen show, the Mickey shorts show, eat a few times get ice cream shop, half our party did rockin roller coaster (we had a group of 17). Good fun all around.

#1857 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

We are here, crowds are pretty crazy but we have fun doing the things that aren’t as crowded or hitting big attractions in the morning or at night.
We’ve seen some parts of the lines that we have never seen before that’s for sure!
When we go at Christmas we go in with the attitude we are just there for the atmosphere and we take it slow and don’t worry about getting on rides if it’s too busy, we get on all of them in the summers.
We did one all day gung ho day at Hollywood Studios on Christmas Day, no genie or lightning lane and we were still able to ride both Star Wars rides and Minnie Mickey, slinky dog and toy story see the frozen show, the Mickey shorts show, eat a few times get ice cream shop, half our party did rockin roller coaster (we had a group of 17). Good fun all around.

17 people???

How do you decide what to do?

I’d probably lose it the second we all walk in the park……”what? You want to do that first??? I’m out of here!!!!!”

I have no idea how to decide to do things when all 4 of us are there. I’m hoping they just follow my lead.

#1858 2 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

yours, or your parents?

I co owned with my parents. We both used them for different trips each year (they would go down to Disney with friends in old timer trips and my wife and kids would use them for our own trips.... Hilton Head, Chicago, Poconos, Vegas, White Mts., LA, San Francisco, etc)

#1859 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

17 people???
How do you decide what to do?
I’d probably lose it the second we all walk in the park……”what? You want to do that first??? I’m out of here!!!!!”
I have no idea how to decide to do things when all 4 of us are there. I’m hoping they just follow my lead.

It’s fun but it takes longer than a small group, more bathroom and food breaks for sure. It does make waiting in line a lot less boring, always something to do.
I usually lead but if someone is in the group that doesn’t go much I tell them their options and ask them what they would like to do.
The beauty of annual passes is we never feel like we have to get stuff done to get our moneys worth. If I had paid $500 for my family for the day to get in I would probably be more picky but we have already been in the parks 19 or 20 times on this annual pass and am planning on using them another 20 times before they expire.
We get some good ride photos, sometimes our family fills up the whole ride! I think I have been with as many as 24 people before.

#1860 2 years ago

Tuesday morning can't get here fast enough.

#1861 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Tuesday morning can't get here fast enough.

EXACTLY!!! The Rush reveal is happening.

Oh yeah...and have a great trip.

#1862 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

It’s fun but it takes longer than a small group, more bathroom and food breaks for sure. It does make waiting in line a lot less boring, always something to do.
I usually lead but if someone is in the group that doesn’t go much I tell them their options and ask them what they would like to do.
The beauty of annual passes is we never feel like we have to get stuff done to get our moneys worth. If I had paid $500 for my family for the day to get in I would probably be more picky but we have already been in the parks 19 or 20 times on this annual pass and am planning on using them another 20 times before they expire.
We get some good ride photos, sometimes our family fills up the whole ride! I think I have been with as many as 24 people before.

You travel to how many times for 20 days in the park? From MI? I thought (am thinking) about getting a pass, but not sure if I'd get to the park often enough.

#1863 2 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

[quoted image]

So how much more did you sell them for from what you bought them?

I'm hearing people who are selling now have to file capital gains. Ha! Earning income from a time share. I should have bought into DVC 10 years ago.

#1864 2 years ago

We woke up early to make dining reservations... wow it is slim pickins even if you're waiting right when the reservation window opens. With all the changes and new rules and crazy planning required, I'm pretty bummed out about this next trip. I guess this is just how it is now.

#1865 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

see the frozen show, .

You should get complimentary fast passes for the day for sitting through that thing. I had to apologize to my family for making them sit through that train wreck.

#1866 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

We woke up early to make dining reservations... wow it is slim pickins even if you're waiting right when the reservation window opens. With all the changes and new rules and crazy planning required, I'm pretty bummed out about this next trip. I guess this is just how it is now.

I had no problem getting the reservations I wanted.

Granted, I'm there for 10 days. The really popular restaurants are on the backend of my trip.

For my trip, at the 60 day mark, I can make the reservations for all 10 days. Not sure if you knew about that.

#1867 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

We've had pretty good luck recently with joining the walk up lists (through the my disney experience app). We were able to get in to Le Cellier in 45 minutes. The walk up for the Diamond Horseshoe was also only about an hour.

There is a physical walk up line for the new space themed bar in Epcot by Mission space. That line only took about 30 minutes for the two of us to get in.

#1868 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

We've had pretty good luck recently with joining the walk up lists (through the my disney experience app). We were able to get in to Le Cellier in 45 minutes. The walk up for the Diamond Horseshoe was also only about an hour.
There is a physical walk up line for the new space themed bar in Epcot by Mission space. That line only took about 30 minutes for the two of us to get in.

I have dinner reservations for Space 220.

#1869 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I have dinner reservations for Space 220.

I heard that you can no longer do that - but you say you were able to do that recently?

Maybe I'm thinking of going to the bar/lounge only.

#1870 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I heard that you can no longer do that - but you say you were able to do that recently?

Reservations only. Even for the bar.

#1871 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I had no problem getting the reservations I wanted.
Granted, I'm there for 10 days. The really popular restaurants are on the backend of my trip.
For my trip, at the 60 day mark, I can make the reservations for all 10 days. Not sure if you knew about that.

Yeah we’re doing 8 days but it’s a split stay DVC, so we had to make ADRs once for each 4 day reservation. We’re slowly shuffling things around and getting closer to what we want.

#1872 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

We did it about 3 weeks ago without issue. I don’t know if they do it all the time, but we were able to join a standby line and get seats at the bar.

If they are turning over tables quickly that day, it doesn’t make sense to leave open seats.

I’ll be in Epcot tomorrow. I’ll swing by to see if they have a standby line late in the day.

#1873 2 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

You travel to how many times for 20 days in the park? From MI? I thought (am thinking) about getting a pass, but not sure if I'd get to the park often enough.

We did a 16 day resort stay this summer, we went in the parks 4 times this Christmas and we will do a 2-3 week resort stay next summer all on the same annual pass. Only buy them once every other year and you can get two summers and a winter vacation out of them and it’s well worth it especially when you add in all the extra discounts and perks.

#1874 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

So how much more did you sell them for from what you bought them?
I'm hearing people who are selling now have to file capital gains. Ha! Earning income from a time share. I should have bought into DVC 10 years ago.

We made a lot with the older points that we got in the 90's (we bought in around $52/pt), but lost some from the newer points that we bought for the later resorts (still got them way cheaper than what they are selling for now). I didn't calculate the exact but its around break even. Though if you compare to the latest prices, then a huge loss They will still make a ton of money reselling those points.

#1875 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

We did a 16 day resort stay this summer, we went in the parks 4 times this Christmas and we will do a 2-3 week resort stay next summer all on the same annual pass. Only buy them once every other year and you can get two summers and a winter vacation out of them and it’s well worth it especially when you add in all the extra discounts and perks.

That's an awesome way to do it (every other year).

#1876 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Interesting.....

#1877 2 years ago

Just booked the Polynesian for August 9th-19th, for the third year in a row. Hopefully it works out this time.

#1878 2 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

We made a lot with the older points that we got in the 90's (we bought in around $52/pt), but lost some from the newer points that we bought for the later resorts (still got them way cheaper than what they are selling for now). I didn't calculate the exact but its around break even. Though if you compare to the latest prices, then a huge loss They will still make a ton of money reselling those points.

Did you factor in the value of the visits you got out of them?

We bought our contract 3 years ago, and will sell this year as we're purchasing a condo near WDW - and it looks like we'll walk away with 5K out of the transaction - plus the 4 stays we had (less the maintenance costs).

#1879 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Did you factor in the value of the visits you got out of them?
We bought our contract 3 years ago, and will sell this year as we're purchasing a condo near WDW - and it looks like we'll walk away with 5K out of the transaction - plus the 4 stays we had (less the maintenance costs).

Assuming we would make the same amount of trips without them, then we made a killing with the points. Most of the time, calculating the cost per night for all the trips each year was way more than the yearly maintenance fee. Taking Disney Cruises for free with the points was saving (though we hate those cruises now and are spoiled with NCL's Haven suites). When we got the three bedroom villas that would have been $1600/night, we saved with those.

Also when DVC first started, they gave us free park tickets for the length of stay, so we did well with that (was great for spring break trips to save our money for the booze at Pleasure Island ) Then take into account the % savings on tickets/season passes, souviners, meal plans (when they were worth getting...not now), etc. , that saved us a ton.

#1880 2 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Assuming we would make the same amount of trips without them, then we made a killing with the points. Most of the time, calculating the cost per night for all the trips each year was way more than the yearly maintenance fee. Taking Disney Cruises for free with the points was saving (though we hate those cruises now and are spoiled with NCL's Haven suites). When we got the three bedroom villas that would have been $1600/night, we saved with those.
Also when DVC first started, they gave us free park tickets for the length of stay, so we did well with that (was great for spring break trips to save our money for the booze at Pleasure Island ) Then take into account the % savings on tickets/season passes, souviners, meal plans (when they were worth getting...not now), etc. , that saved us a ton.

Like I said, I wish I would have bought in 10 years ago. I looked into it hard, but at the time I was reading a WDW blog (Tom Bricker) and he talked me out of it. I was a fool.

A few years ago, I was taking the boat from the MK to Grand Floridian. A guy I was sitting next to talked to me for 5 min. The rest is history.

#1881 2 years ago

Down in Disney. Very shocked how crowded it is.

I figured with all the schooling kids have missed, they parents wouldn’t be taking them out of school.

At least the parks are all green from the 7th - 13th. Just hope it holds that way.

#1882 2 years ago

Disneyland Hong Kong is closing for at least 2 weeks.

#1883 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I figured with all the schooling kids have missed, they parents wouldn’t be taking them out of school.
At least the parks are all green from the 7th - 13th. Just hope it holds that way.

We were going to book this week and our DVC guide told us book AFTER marathon week. Touring Plans has it pegged at 10 crowd level till 1/9.

#1884 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I don't live in Florida or nearby, but my kids are still on winter break this week. I'm sure there are many school districts which are the same. So I'd guess the drop in crowds predicted for next week will hold true.

#1885 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

I don't live in Florida or nearby, but my kids are still on winter break this week. I'm sure there are many school districts which are the same. So I'd guess the drop in crowds predicted for next week will hold true.

Winter break this long after New Year’s Day?

#1886 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

As a teacher, I can tell you that people don't seem to give a shit what the school calendar says anymore. They take their vacations whenever they want, especially since students can work virtually or make up assignments online. Of course, the fact that some parents have decided that work just isn't for them anymore helps to open up their schedule a bit.

#1887 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Yep. Usually it is earlier but they shifted it this year. It didn't start until Dec 23.

Not sure why they changed it, but my guess is so that anyone who got covid at Xmas/ new years would be able to recover or at least know they have it before school starts.

#1888 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

As a teacher, I can tell you that people don't seem to give a shit what the school calendar says anymore. They take their vacations whenever they want, especially since students can work virtually or make up assignments online. Of course, the fact that some parents have decided that work just isn't for them anymore helps to open up their schedule a bit.

I agree with this, and actually I'm a firm believer that it's really beneficial to actually take kids out of school once in a while and go on a trip with them. So I'm guilty of what you are talking about.

Nevertheless, there are still a lot (most?) of people who go on trips when school is out. The busiest times at wdw are always during school breaks. Spring break times are always slammed, along with Xmas/ new year week. And really any weekend with a school holiday sees heavier crowds.

#1889 2 years ago

I’m not against taking kids out of school.

I’m only against it right after a 2 week break from school.

I don’t get all these parents who don’t bring their kids back to the hotel in the afternoon. These kids are either passed out or having meltdowns.

#1890 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I’m not against taking kids out of school. I’m only against it right after a 2 week break from school.

Or when it happens to coincide with your Disney trip.

#1891 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Or when it happens to coincide with your Disney trip.

I expect it for the April races during spring break.

But they shouldn’t be here right after Christmas break.

#1892 2 years ago

After a long hiatus, I've decided to participate in my first runDisney event in 5 years.

Screenshot_20220105-203605_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220105-203605_Gallery.jpg
#1893 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I’m not against taking kids out of school.
I’m only against it right after a 2 week break from school.
I don’t get all these parents who don’t bring their kids back to the hotel in the afternoon. These kids are either passed out or having meltdowns.

When you drop this much cash to be in the park you tend to want to remain there as long as possible. We always parked our kids at noodle station in MK for naps and then back at it.

#1894 2 years ago

Hey, Trekkie! Get me one of those shirts above in x-large. That's hysterical. I'm going to wear it while I'm snacking on popcorn and watching my wife sweat it out on the Peloton. It's all fun and games until I'm dead before she is.

#1895 2 years ago

I figure some of you Disney fans might not have seen but would appreciate this! In case you missed the thread, Jjlp is an absolute master craftsman in his near perfect recreation of the original Disneyland Indiana Jones pinball machine…

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-goes-to-custom-disneyland-special-facsimile-edition-

45CF3F29-2D1A-4BD6-8031-E8B6D3FEF42E (resized).jpeg45CF3F29-2D1A-4BD6-8031-E8B6D3FEF42E (resized).jpeg7A0DD517-0597-470D-8D06-47D3F7ED5DD7 (resized).jpeg7A0DD517-0597-470D-8D06-47D3F7ED5DD7 (resized).jpeg
#1896 2 years ago

I keep checking to see if the DDP Disney Dining Plan will return for 2022… so far nothing.

#1897 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I keep checking to see if the DDP Disney Dining Plan will return for 2022… so far nothing.

It hasn't had value for many years now anyway.

#1898 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey, Trekkie! Get me one of those shirts above in x-large. That's hysterical. I'm going to wear it while I'm snacking on popcorn and watching my wife sweat it out on the Peloton. It's all fun and games until I'm dead before she is.

If I see it in the parks, I’ll grab it.

#1899 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I've added up our food costs on a few trips and i don't even come close to the cost of the dining plan for a family of five. I think if half of your vacation is eating for the week it might make sense though.

#1900 2 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I've added up our food costs on a few trips and i don't even come close to the cost of the dining plan for a family of five. I think if half of your vacation is eating for the week it might make sense though.

To me the DDP Disney Dining Plan Deluxe is great with an appetizer, entree & a dessert & snacks. Also you can use additional meal “credits / points” towards the more expensive character dining experiences etc. I don’t do any of the quick serve meals etc. Any unused snack credits we cash in at the end of the trip and bring home lots of wrapped treats / goodies. It lets you splurge on all of the menus throughout the property. But to me the DDP is most worth it from a convenience factor of only needing to bring tip money with the meals all pre-paid. I prefer an all inclusive payed for upfront trip.

Please Disney bring back the DDP !

There are 2,627 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 53.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disney-fans-thread/page/38 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.