D2479C87-4F69-4993-8867-80E122D4EF1E.jpeg
Super_Nintendo_World_(Universal_Studios_Japan) (resized).png
Stan Mikita (resized).jpg
cry.jpg
pasted_imageWhat was I thinking  (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
0FB828AF-2DEC-4FB8-A425-A070389F1FE5 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 2,627 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 53.
#1751 2 years ago

What’s with the ponchos???

I ran in the Star Wars 2019 5K in the rain.

#1752 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

We still bring ponchos (these ones are great and have proven durable amazon.com link »)

Hey thanks these look great. Do they fold up pretty small? Like, think two would fit in a 1-gallon ziplock bag?

#1753 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

What’s with the ponchos???

We usually go in winter. Being wet and cold, no bueno!!

#1754 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

We usually go in winter. Being wet and cold, no bueno!!

I won’t do the River rapids ride in Animal Kingdom…I don’t want to be soaked.

I don’t consider splash mountain a ride where you get wet.

#1755 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Hey thanks these look great. Do they fold up pretty small? Like, think two would fit in a 1-gallon ziplock bag?

Yes. The poncho folds up and slides into a small pouch that is probably 3”x3”x9” if I remember right. We easily fit 2 into one of those small string back packs along with our dopp kit with plenty of room for other stuff.

#1756 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I won’t do the River rapids ride in Animal Kingdom…I don’t want to be soaked.
I don’t consider splash mountain a ride where you get wet.

You really don't get wet on either of those rides. The ponchos are for the short rain bursts they get down there.

If you want to get wet on rides, go over to Universal. They are brutal.

#1757 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

You really don't get wet on either of those rides. The ponchos are for the short rain bursts they get down there.
If you want to get wet on rides, go over to Universal. They are brutal.

You don’t get wet on River Rapids??? It looks just like all the other ones where you get soaked.

#1758 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

You don’t get wet on River Rapids??? It looks just like all the other ones where you get soaked.

I’ve been on this ride several times and was fairly dry and I’ve been on several times where I was absolutely soaked. There isn’t really many spots where you get wet on this ride, but if you are lucky/unlucky you can get soaked. I believe that they also turn down or off some of the water when it’s colder out as I have ridden at Christmas and didn’t notice as much water as when I ride it in august

#1759 2 years ago

This is a pretty good representation of the current state of Disney Parks.

Screenshot_20211104-132850_Brave.jpgScreenshot_20211104-132850_Brave.jpg
#1761 2 years ago

https://allears.net/2021/10/03/things-you-never-realized-were-totally-abandoned-in-disney-world/

There are times where things in Disney World have been left (and are still to this day) TOTALLY abandoned. Curious to know what Disney has built and then simply left behind? Actually quite a few real attractions have been built and then abandoned (and in one case buried!) We’ve just the thing for you.

Who Knew?

#1762 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

https://allears.net/2021/10/03/things-you-never-realized-were-totally-abandoned-in-disney-world/
There are times where things in Disney World have been left (and are still to this day) TOTALLY abandoned. Curious to know what Disney has built and then simply left behind? Actually quite a few real attractions have been built and then abandoned (and in one case buried!) We’ve just the thing for you.
Who Knew?

I went to Hollywood studios years ago and couldn't believe the original trilogy star wars vehicles that were just rotting out in the sun.

#1763 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Who Knew?

I saw the plane on the last year that the backlot studio was open. The train went past it and I couldn't believe that the actual plane was just sitting there.

#1764 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:https://allears.net/2021/10/03/things-you-never-realized-were-totally-abandoned-in-disney-world/
Who Knew?

I'm surprised that article didn't mention the huge wave machine in seven seas lagoon.

That's right, the seven seas lagoon in front of the magic kingdom has a giant wave machine in it. I'm pretty sure that at least part of it is still in there, rotting away.

#1765 2 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

I'm surprised that article didn't mention the huge wave machine in seven seas lagoon.
That's right, the seven seas lagoon in front of the magic kingdom has a giant wave machine in it. I'm pretty sure that at least part of it is still in there, rotting away.

"Had" a wave machine. Original idea was to be able to surf at the polynesian. It caused massive erosion and didn't last very long. It was briefly tested again after sitting for 14 years, before being scrapped back in '85. Only the concrete wall remains and some plumbing below the waterline.

https://www.extinctdisney.com/polynesian-wave-machine/

#1766 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

"Had" a wave machine. Original idea was to be able to surf at the polynesian. It caused massive erosion and did last very long. It was briefly tested again after sitting for 14 years, before being scrapped back in '85. Only the concrete wall remains and some plumbing below the waterline.
https://www.extinctdisney.com/polynesian-wave-machine/

I never knew that, that is so cool

#1767 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I never knew that, that is so cool

Only reason I knew anything about it is that I did an engineering project on Barr + Wray wave system at Typhoon lagoon back in my early days of college. There was a Disney forum rumor that they repurposed the 7 seas lagoon system at typhoon, but that's not true.

#1768 2 years ago

I knew about the wave machine back in the 80’s when I was young. My mom told me about it.

The other thing my mom taught me back in 1984, when I was 6, was to not go into the lakes there, because there all alligators in the water.

Still boggles the mind that the family let their child wade in the water like that. Such an easy tragedy to avoid.

#1769 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I knew about the wave machine back in the 80’s when I was young. My mom told me about it.
The other thing my mom taught me back in 1984, when I was 6, was to not go into the lakes there, because there all alligators in the water.
Still boggles the mind that the family let their child wade in the water like that. Such an easy tragedy to avoid.

People tend to think that since it's Disney, that everything is perfectly safe and there is no need to watch too closely. I feel horrible for them because the likely didn't know any better. If you don't know much about Florida, you might not know to stay out of pretty much all fresh water due to snakes (water moccasins), alligators, and brain eating amoebas.

#1770 2 years ago

Except Disney used to allow and encourage people to go into the lakes. It was an activity of the resorts.

Hell, even up until very recently they still had water sports out there like water skiing and such.

#1771 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

That kid wasn't wading in the water. He was building a sand castle, while attending a Disney-run event on the beach. He went close to the shore to get wet sand for his sand castle.

#1772 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

If you don't know much about Florida, you might not know to stay out of pretty much all fresh water due to snakes (water moccasins), alligators, and brain eating amoebas.

You must be on the FLA tourism board.

#1773 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

because there all alligators in the water.

I think it was the brain eating amoebas that made them stop using the lakes first, before that alligator attack.

https://www.mamamia.com.au/disney-river-country-theme-park-deaths/

#1774 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

If you don't know much about Florida, you might not know to stay out of pretty much all fresh water due to snakes (water moccasins), alligators, and brain eating amoebas.

Eh... it's not THAT bad. You are much more likely to die from a bee sting than an alligator attack, and thousands of times more likely to die in a car accident.

Here in Louisiana, people are in the water all the time and we have all the same critters. The biggest problem here is alligators that get tame and follow your boat around wanting to be fed. People go out fishing and bring a pack of hot dogs to feed the gators at the dock, so theyve learned to hang around the dock to eat.

#1775 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

People go out fishing and bring a pack of hot dogs to feed the gators at the dock, so theyve learned to hang around the dock to eat.

People are idiots. Not just gators but all wildlife. Someone either gets hurt or the animal has to be put down. Morons.

#1776 2 years ago

If you want to see idiotic behavior, go watch the Yellowstone Cubs on Disney plus. It’s an old Disney nature film and what they used to do in Yellowstone with Bears is beyond comprehension.

#1777 2 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

People are idiots. Not just gators but all wildlife. Someone either gets hurt or the animal has to be put down. Morons.

The state actually pays people to cull around 30,000 alligators a year here due to over-population. They used to be considered near extinction, but everyone that lives around here always knew that was total bullshit.

#1778 2 years ago

So it has been decided that we are going to make our first visit to Disneyland. We're WDW veterans, but the attractions at DL have made the family want to make the primglage.

I have two immediate questions -

Coming from Chicago - would it be better to fly into LAX or John Wayne?

Also - are the hotels directly across from the DL park ok to stay at? i see there are quite a few, and the price difference between the few park hotels and these are pretty substantial. Never been to Anaheim before, so any feedback is much appreciated.

#1779 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

So it has been decided that we are going to make our first visit to Disneyland. We're WDW veterans, but the attractions at DL have made the family want to make the primglage.
Also - are the hotels directly across from the DL park ok to stay at? i see there are quite a few, and the price difference between the few park hotels and these are pretty substantial. Never been to Anaheim before, so any feedback is much appreciated.

john Wayne is better. Take Uber (skip the rental car) get and stay right across the street at best Western park place inn and suites.

#1780 2 years ago

Definitely John Wayne. LAX is a nightmare all the time and John Wayne is usually devoid of people during slow hours. Also look into the Candy Cane Inn right down the road (walking distance) from the entrance to the park. It's supposed to be one of the best small hotels in the area and usually sells out first when I go there for NAMM shows at the convention center. Ride the Matterhorn for me. Almost 60 years old. Still awesome.

#1781 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Definitely John Wayne. LAX is a nightmare all the time and John Wayne is usually devoid of people during slow hours. Also look into the Candy Cane Inn right down the road (walking distance) from the entrance to the park. It's supposed to be one of the best small hotels in the area and usually sells out first when I go there for NAMM shows at the convention center. Ride the Matterhorn for me. Almost 60 years old. Still awesome.

Candy Cane use to have free popcorn too in the rooms. My kids loved that.

#1782 2 years ago

Stay away from the Desert Palms but go eat at Mimi"s!

#1783 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Since I live right up the street, I can confirm the choices mentioned above are all good.
The past 3 years we've seen 5 new hotels built close to the park. The one at Gardenwalk is very nice. Anaheim Hilton and Marriott are dated.
Up Harbour Blvd in the city of Garden Grove there are also 5 bigger nice hotels. So use G.G. in hotel searches for perhaps slightly better rates.
There is also Long Beach airport, not a far Uber ride. It has great rates with southwest. Jet blue moved out.
What time of year you coming?

#1784 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Dates are not locked down - but probably will be around the first week in June. We are going to visit for 4 nights, then swing down to Orlando for a week.

#1785 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

are the hotels directly across from the DL park ok to stay at?

I stayed at the Howard Johnson across the street four or five years back and it was great. It’s a budget hotel of course so pretty basic, but it was clean and quiet and a very quick walk back and forth to the park with little kids (as I recall it’s actually closer to the entrance than the on-site hotels). And it even has a pool. I’d definitely look at that again if we were going back to DL.

#1786 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I've done both and like others have said, John Wayne is way less stressful and the better choice (though our last trip was into LAX and it was quite easy ... but I wouldn't chance it if you have the choice)

#1787 2 years ago

For the Disneyland vets, if price is no object, what is your preferred hotel?

#1788 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Stay on campus at Grand California.
Used to come with early hours if you stayed there.

#1789 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Both times we went to Disneyland we stayed at the grand californian; it was very nice. The first time it was because of some crazy good offer, the second time it was just because we liked it so much the first time we wanted to stay there again. The direct entrance into california adventure was handy too.

#1790 2 years ago

If money were no object, concierge level @ Grand California.

Not sure if covid has affected it, but I love their PB&J sandwiches. Yummy!

#1791 2 years ago

i would love to stay at the Grand Californian, but the differences in price is significant.

At this time, - my thought is we arrive on day 1 - visit DL on day 2, Ca Adventure on day 3, then DL again on day 4 and fly out for Orlando on day 5.

We have never been to DL before and want to make the most of this trip.

#1792 2 years ago

Residence Inn has always been our go to.

#1793 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

i would love to stay at the Grand Californian, but the differences in price is significant.
At this time, - my thought is we arrive on day 1 - visit DL on day 2, Ca Adventure on day 3, then DL again on day 4 and fly out for Orlando on day 5.
We have never been to DL before and want to make the most of this trip.

I don't know if I'd do Anaheim and Orlando back to back. There's so many attraction duplicates that you might feel like the overlap makes WDW redundant. Especially now that they're very limited in shows and entertainment, with no real sign of things going back to precovid levels of offerings, I would just do Disneyland and then save your time and money for WDW another time.

#1794 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I don't know if I'd do Anaheim and Orlando back to back. There's so many attraction duplicates that you might feel like the overlap makes WDW redundant. Especially now that they're very limited in shows and entertainment, with no real sign of things going back to precovid levels of offerings, I would just do Disneyland and then save your time and money for WDW another time.

I have to agree with this knowing both parks very well. I would rent a car and enjoy some California. Beaches are close, San Diego 90 min south, LA 60-90 min north.
Lots to do out here, especially in June.

#1795 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Especially now that they're very limited in shows and entertainment,

Things are gearing up that most shows will be back by next summer. Not the Hyperian, going to be a new show there late 2022/ early 2023.

#1796 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

We are going to stay at our new condo for a few days, and not visit any of the WDW parks this trip. Probably do Sea World, the Space Center, Disney Springs, etc.

#1797 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

We are going to stay at our new condo for a few days, and not visit any of the WDW parks this trip. Probably do Sea World, the Space Center, Disney Springs, etc.

You can also head over to Tampa and check out Busch Gardens. I'm a pass member there and Sea World.

#1798 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Things are gearing up that most shows will be back by next summer. Not the Hyperian, going to be a new show there late 2022/ early 2023.

I'm moving out of state so I wasn't going to get a new annual pass anyways, but I've never seen Disneyland fans so unhappy with the state of the parks as they are now. I feel like people just complain all the time about what's not there anymore and what's not ever coming back. NPR even coined the term "skimpflation" to describe Disney's Park cutbacks amidst growing inflation. I get the sense that the new normal is going to continue to be a lot less entertainment options than before shutdowns... Whether that's parades, shows, character interactions, decorations, etc... I think the expectation is that budget cutbacks and staffing shortages are going to establish a new, inferior normal.

#1799 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I'm moving out of state so I wasn't going to get a new annual pass anyways, but I've never seen Disneyland fans so unhappy with the state of the parks as they are now. I feel like people just complain all the time about what's not there anymore and what's not ever coming back. NPR even coined the term "skimpflation" to describe Disney's Park cutbacks amidst growing inflation. I get the sense that the new normal is going to continue to be a lot less entertainment options than before shutdowns... Whether that's parades, shows, character interactions, decorations, etc... I think the expectation is that budget cutbacks and staffing shortages are going to establish a new, inferior normal.

WDW's state of skimpflation is based more around the benefits of staying on site, which has pretty much been all erased. Are there any major attractions at DL that are still not up and running? That is what we really are coming to experience.

#1800 2 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

You can also head over to Tampa and check out Busch Gardens.

I plan to get passes for that park again in a couple of months.

There are 2,627 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 53.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disney-fans-thread/page/36?hl=fizz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.