View topic image gallery

It Would Be Wrong (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191115-134730~2 (resized).png
The Black Hole Hologram (resized).jpg
D2CCE14D-DC7E-491D-AC3A-0BCACAC2127A (resized).jpeg
83640AD4-CF40-459C-8CA3-43016A323C57 (resized).jpeg
43BCEF11-E5CC-49A5-BD6A-3561A708B55A (resized).jpeg
035a782a9fdaa9d8370aa23ef0dd9595--favorite-quotes-favorite-things (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Disappointed there are only 25 or so cinema shorts out of the 500-ish they made. But that's Disney nowadays, at the parks, too. Moving out the things that made them famous to make more space for the things that sell now. They have the resources a thousand times over to take care of both. Hopefully more will be added in time.

They are taking the “Vault” approach that they do with their Blu-ray’s and DVDs (and previously VHS). Controlled scarcity, to keep you subscribing beyond the first month or so. Pretty good idea between this and the new content. Netflix kind of does this too, because content expires, but in their case they don’t generally own the actual content which disappears.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I had no idea that George Lucas filmed episodes 2 and 3 of the Star Wars prequels using 1080p digital cameras with NO FILM BACKUP. Disney Plus 4k versions of the original trilogy and the first prequel look very good, but holy crap do the two other prequel movies 4k transfers look terrible! Disney tried to upres it from 1080p to 4k and it got all blurry and weird looking. The only reason the first prequel has a good 4k transfer is Lucas shot with a film backup for the first one.

Yep, Episode I was shot on Arriflex 435Es, but I think he did editing all digitally, which means the film was telecined to the best digital res at the time... 1080p I guess.

Episode II however WAS stupidly shot on the Sony HDW F900. At least it shot in 24P. Insanity. He was just being lazy though, he wanted to film and edit digitally as fast as possible. Totally ridiculous. And ironic that the worst of the Prequels ends up looking the nicest.

1 week later
#176 4 years ago

Based on my stock reports, it’s pretty clear that Netflix was right when they said they were not worried. Checking both sites, Netflix is focusing on teen/adult content much more heavily than their competitor. Disney still has a way to go - I am skeptical but it will be interesting to see if they can hit the 100 million mark eventually.

#178 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think there's room for all of them currently, especially if they each continue to produce quality content.
https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/this-disney-show-dethroned-stranger-things-as-most-streamed-show-in-the-us-news.96625.html

That’s what I’m thinking too - I just scrolled through Disney + for an hour, and I love all the Marvel stuff from when I was a kid - but I’m not spending a ton of time watching it. After The Last Jedi, I’ve lost all interest in Star Wars (amazing feat, really - I was an original trilogy Star Wars Kid growing up), and I’ve seen the Marvel movies. My son isn’t into the Princesses, My wife hates the Muppets ( though I keep trying); there’s not a lot of content we’re connecting with here.

But clearly there is room for both!

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

I dunno,
I very rarely find myself watching Netflix. Stranger Things was great, but now have to wait. We watched Santa Clarita Diet, but that got cancelled. Their movie selections are slim. I sometimes used it when I traveled, but very little I could download worth watching for plane rides. Probably going to cancel and resubscribe when ST season 4 comes out, binge it, and cancel again. Due to me wanting to do that, I can see why other services (Disney & Apple) are going with weekly programming.
Trying to work my family through a good portion of the older Disney movies we've never seen, or haven't seen in a long time. Will take a while.

Netflix was a wasteland for me for a while too - sure Stranger Things yeah, but what else?

Lately, we've checked out "Money Heist" which is AWESOME. I think that's one of the best shows I've ever seen. Yes it's in spanish with subtitles, but DAMN. "Dark" is also good (also subtitled), much like Stranger Things and "Marianne" which is Stephen King's favorite new show. There are a bunch of french shows too which are great. They're taking the best of the best.

Agreed on the movies - TV series seems to be where they're spending time. Anyway, I only subscribe to Netflix currently, Disney+ since I got it free from Verizon, and Shudder. Shudder is like $4 a month and 100% worth it. Netflix is what, $12?

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We pretty much just use it for originals and comedy. They have a massive lineup of comedian standup specials now, with a steady flow of new ones. Everyone else is trying to catch up. Chappelle's latest one was definitely worth a rewatch. There was a lot in it to unpack, and I got more out of it the second time. It was laugh out loud funny at numerous points on both watches.

Good point- they are definitely the new HBO in that respect. We really dug the Ali Wong specials (I thought I’d hate it) and her movie was really funny too. Not usually my cup of tea but damn were there some scenes that had me laughing my ass off.

Season 1 of Derry Girls is funny as hell too. Season 2 was just dumb teenage stuff but they nailed the pre-ceasefire northern Irish catholic scene in season 1.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disney-?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.