View topic image gallery

It Would Be Wrong (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191115-134730~2 (resized).png
The Black Hole Hologram (resized).jpg
D2CCE14D-DC7E-491D-AC3A-0BCACAC2127A (resized).jpeg
83640AD4-CF40-459C-8CA3-43016A323C57 (resized).jpeg
43BCEF11-E5CC-49A5-BD6A-3561A708B55A (resized).jpeg
035a782a9fdaa9d8370aa23ef0dd9595--favorite-quotes-favorite-things (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 2 years ago

When they had that D23 promo this past Summer where it worked out to like $3.90/mo for the first 3 years, it was pretty hard not to sign up, so we did. Watched The Mandalorian last night because I suspected they'd have outages today when everyone tries to log on at once (and they have). Directing was a bit flat, but it looks like "classic" first trilogy Star Wars and has great characters so far. Strong start.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Ive been on the fence about getting it. Do you guys find it worth it so far? Are there lots of movies old and new?

There's a lot of movies, but none of the "controversial" old Disney ones like Song of the South or the racist cartoons. Gotta scrub history.

The original trilogy Star Wars movies look like a new transfer that's very nice, but it's unfortunately the "Special Edition" cut with all the George Lucas screwing around (Greedo shoots first, etc). Too bad they didn't put up the actual original releases with a great transfer. Disney owns it all now, so I don't know why they can't offer "Star Wars Classic" versions with the transfer upgrade.

Mandalorian and a few movies here and there alone looks like it will be worth the $140 we paid for 3 years of Disney plus. They also have the first episode of the Jeff Goldblum travel show up, which looks quirky and fun, but I haven't watched that yet.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Singed way back with D23 offer. 3 years was pretty cheap in the scheme of themes.
Mandalorian not working a few times i clicked today. Didnt see a few films, Solo, new lion king. Dumbo and lady and tramp or up.

Pretty sure at least original Dumbo is there. Thought I saw it on the listing last night...

#28 2 years ago

I wonder if the movie Victory through Air Power will be in there?
If you've never seen it,bits a must watch. I bought it on dvd.

You can watch it anytime for free on archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/VictoryThroughAirPower

#41 2 years ago

First Episode of Mandalorian is Epic!
Whole family loved it. Can't wait for episode 2 to drop.
I also think we shouldn't post spoilers in this thread.

There's another episode this Friday, so two this week.

Holy crap George Lucas is still messing with the original trilogy, too. Checked it out on D+ and when the emperor is shocking Luke at the end of Empire now, rather than just picking up the Emperor and throwing him down the shaft, Vader says a REALLY LAME "No. Noooo" before picking the Emperor up and tossing him overboard, which is out of place and very reminiscent of the terrible scene where he gets off the frankenstein table in the prequels and goes "Noooooooooo..." Ugh.

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Signed up last night. Have yet to watch anything but Mandelorian is on top of list. Crazy good content.

The thing that's kind of shifty is they list content they don't even have. If you select it, you get a "Coming in 20xx" message. If they don't have the show, they shouldn't list it.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

My thoughts exactly. Amazon has a similar if not identical content than Netflix, outside of home made stuff.
That being said the hulu plan with ad included in the Disney bundle shows a lot of ads (People say 5 breaks an hour + before and after ad).

Yeah, we went ad-free with hulu because hulu with ads is TERRIBLE. If you use discounted gift cards to save about 20% and pay annually, ad free is almost the same as with ads. I'd never do hulu with ads again.

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Does anyone know of any kind of discount for Hulu ad-free if you've got Disney+ already?

I'm not aware of any - they want you to watch the ads. We just get it separately and pay about $9/mo ad free.

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Do you have a source for discounted Hulu gift cards? I read that they used to be up on Amazon and eBay, but not seeing anything there now.

You have to wait for deals on them to pop up. BJs and Sams have them pretty often. Costco sometimes. Join some place like slickdeals and set an alert for "hulu gift card" to have a pretty good shot at snagging them.

If Hulu becomes available to subscribe to through Apple TV, you can also use itunes gift cards for the sub, and those are pretty much always on sale at Costco.

#87 2 years ago

I had no idea that George Lucas filmed episodes 2 and 3 of the Star Wars prequels using 1080p digital cameras with NO FILM BACKUP. Disney Plus 4k versions of the original trilogy and the first prequel look very good, but holy crap do the two other prequel movies 4k transfers look terrible! Disney tried to upres it from 1080p to 4k and it got all blurry and weird looking. The only reason the first prequel has a good 4k transfer is Lucas shot with a film backup for the first one.

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Hmm, I’m gonna have to check those two out. LOVE that all the major content is in Dolby Vision and Atmos on D+ How does HBO still get away with max 1080p content? And a 4K enabled sub on Netflix is $16/month. Really pleased with their choices and price right now on D+.

4k isn't as important as HDR, IMO. I'd be fine if they just offered all the 1080p content in HDR. Huge jump in visuals with that.

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Haven’t checked them out yet, are the colors still all jacked up on the 4K original Star Wars trilogy (heavy blue tint, blacks crushed, Leia’s makeup super bright looking)? I’m hoping they at least cleaned that up for the new transfer.

A new hope looks better overall than Return of the Jedi, which is kind of blurry, but the transfers are very nice. I think they're new because the FX added on the messed up original trilogy special editions were also at 1080p and had to be completely re-done for the 4k re-transfer anyway. R2 hiding behind the rocks in A New Hope looks much less ridiculous than the SE release with better rock CG in the D+ transfer. The Jabba bit before the Falcon takes off is STUPID. Han calls Jabba a terrible human (or something like that - the word HUMAN is used) before he gets on the ship. He WAS supposed to be human when it was shot, but became an alien in post, so putting the scene in there with that line is lazy and dumb.

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

HDR is so overrated. Unless you were only watching movies in movie mode HDR sometimes make the movies look even more dull and I have an OLED TV. Prob the biggest pile of overrated garbage I've seen in sometime if not ever. Total market hype that when applied to real content disappoints
Oh and Disney + looks like an absolute hit.

Really? What model year LG OLED do you have? We have a 2016 model and while some HDR looks better than others, it almost always looks amazing. Much bigger difference than 4k for the viewing experience.

In a dim or dark room, calibrated OLED HDR is always better than calibrated LED HDR (more natural brights, substantially better blacks), but in a bright room OLED HDR can look dim.

EVENING EDIT: Wow, Disney+ really screwed the pooch with The Mandalorian HDR. I watched it the night before launch on a 1080p plasma - looked fine, no HDR. But tonight with the family watched in HDR on an OLED. Whoever graded the HDR at the production house HAD to have done it on an LED because on an OLED the title screen with the Mandalorian logo zooming up about 3 minutes in you can SEE THE RECTANGULAR BORDER OF THE LOGO IMAGE zooming up because it's very slightly different black than the background. Really unprofessional HDR grading, and generally bad-looking HDR all around. Very surprised. I was sure it'd look great in HDR. I was wrong. Disney+ fail. They need to take a lesson from 4k HDR Lost in Space on Netflix, which looks amazing.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

On original content there’s no discussion Netflix rules by far although I find the binge watching policy to damage the content.
I remember the week long discussions and theories following each episode of Lost, it was engaging and as much entertaining as the show itself.
Also the word came out that Disney removed The Simpsons episode with Michael Jackson, it seems obvious that purging content for pc reasons is becoming the norm, regardless of my opinion on MJ, I find that to be very questionnable.

Two episodes of Suite Life of Zach and Cody are gone because Chris Brown was a guest star. Really.

#105 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Maybe it's the content I've seen as you mentioned not all HDR is the same.
I have a nice Samsung QLED too and never been impressed with it either. I've also never been that impressed with 4k.
Nothing comes close to the experience of jumping from SD to HD. I still remember the first basketball I watched in HD. It was INSANE

Yes, definitely a case of good and bad HDR. After last night, I would say The Mandalorian is bad/lazy HDR. I you have Netflix, check out their Lost in Space remake in HDR. It's fantastic. Only don't try it on an Apple TV 4k HDR because Netflix recently broke that, I can only assume is was some kind of retaliatory bitrate thing against Apple because it used to be fine, but now it's horrible. Ah, technology.

#119 2 years ago

That imagineer series was really interesting (at least episode 1). Sampled it at random, stayed for the whole thing, looking forward to episode 2 now. It's amazing how much behind-the-scenes video they have of the creation of Disneyland due to the deal they made with ABC way back in the 1950s.

#121 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Cool that someone had the foresight to save that tape, since as I understand it up into the sixties it was common practice to tape over even very popular shows, so lots of great content is gone forever.

They were a movie company, so I'm pretty sure all of the stuff used for the show was film stock. It looks WAY too good to be tape, and there's film stock "blotches" that appear momentarily on some of it. You'll see what I mean if you watch it. Overall, though, it's shockingly good quality archival footage from the 50s and 60s shown so far, all of it very professionally cleaned up and color corrected. Episode 1 runs up to the point Walt dies.

It's funny the stuff they left out, though. No mention or reference to the Disney park guide two-fingered point tradition which came from Walt often having a cigarette in hand when pointing, and zero footage of Walt smoking, even though he smoked like a chimney, and lung cancer killed him (one of the composers interviewed can't even say cancer, he calls it "the big one").

#123 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

As I said in my post, the point isn't specific to the MJ episode, it's about altering the integrity of an artistic work for whatever reason. You might agree with this one, but maybe will disagree with another editing. The point there is that the content you get is not guaranteed anymore and is not left to your decision based on your own moral values.
If I had the DVDs of the Simpsons, I could have decided to throw away the one with MJ, or just skip the episode on Disney+, what matters is that I want to leave that choice to myself, not to another authority.

Seems that Disney+ has messed around with a bunch of shows. Gravity Falls they took the crescent symbol off the guy's Fez because...Turkey sucks? Problem is, that figures fairly prominently in one of the episodes. Oops.

Editing the original early 4:3 Simpsons into fake widescreen has cropped out a bunch of visual jokes across the episodes.

They also made a Spielburg-esque reverse edit to Gargoyles, changing a scene where a gun was edited out in the original broadcast and put the gun back in for Disney+.

I'd love to have a rundown of the thought process on these changes, but that'll never happen. Some (like Gravity Falls) seem SO random. Best practice? Leave the art alone. Air it as it was (with a disclaimer if necessary) or don't air it at all.

#130 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Way more lol? For $50 month you could have 4 streaming services (or more) with WAY more content than cable.

If you don't care about news or sports, you can have a ton of content for $50:
$20 Philo (most channels)
$17 Netflix 4k
$4 Disney+
$9 Hulu ad-free

HBO Max next spring has the potential to maybe knock out Philo, add news, and add HBO for no additional charge.

#142 2 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

It won’t be long before the internet creates a list of everything that is missing from Disney+. It’s marked as “they opened the vault” but, no. It’s not all there, this is a curated list of content.
You’ll never see song of the south streaming by Disney

I'm more okay with curated, what bugs me is them changing the shows by editing stuff out, changing stuff, or making fake widescreen, losing part of the 4:3 screen content.

#145 2 years ago

My son decided Disney hadn't made any truly bad, commercially unsuccessful movies, so I brought up The Black Hole, which was well before his time and he wasn't familair with it. I couldn't believe Disney+ had it, but since they did, I played a bit for him, jumping around, and for context reminded him it came out two years AFTER Star Wars. Needless to say, it disabused him of the notion that Disney can do no wrong. The whole movie is wrong.

#147 2 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Han shot first.

I don't like that, either, but that's George Lucas, and supposedly they can't touch his edits, even after they bought Lucasfilm.

#150 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I could not disagree more. The Black Hole is an excellent movie on so many levels. It has a great story, fantastic effects, a stellar cast that ranks right up there with Star Wars(it's probably a bit better), an excellent soundtrack, one of the best evil robots in history, and an ending that still gives me shivers when I see it. It was slight of a deviation from Disney at that time with it's theme. Sure it has a bit of campiness, but it has been on my annual watch list since it came out on laser disc. That last pull away shot in the finale...hell I can't think of any other scene that is done as well with as much effect as that one.

You liked the final pullaway shot of their ship flying to a new planet on the other side of the Black Hole best?

There is a market for everything, I guess. I always regarded it as a clunky, very talkative, ultimately unsatisfying movie.

#154 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

No, the shot of Reinhart and Maximilian merged together, overseeing the fires of hell.
We all have different opinions, and if you didn't like it, that's fine. But to say it is "wrong" just isn't accurate.

Oh, THAT part. That was weird and dumb, too, since it was mixing religion (heaven/hell) with science (black holes). Very unimaginitive. That part specifically, my son asked aloud how high they were when they wrote that scene.

But where did I say "wrong"? I said it was bad (which 40% rottentomatoes and general reviews of the time agree with), but there clearly was a market for it if you liked it and it managed a 40% aggregate review.

But hey, I like my share of bad movies, too. Still have a soft spot for Xanadu, a movie I openly admit is bad and has only 25% aggregate at Rottentomatoes.

#162 2 years ago
Quoted from shepP:

I’m guessing no 4K treatment for us Black Hole aficionados?

It's a super-grainy transfer. They list it as HD, not 4k, but the excessive grain makes it look worse than it should.

#166 2 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Disney says they're going to crack down on subscription sharing and I'm wondering how they plan to do that.

Some combination of MAC address and geo-location lock?

2 weeks later
#181 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Netflix is what, $12?

Try $16 if you want 4k HDR streams. The worst part is Netflix seems to have been playing with the compression making some of the 4k HDR content look worse than 1080p.

#184 1 year ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Every time I search for something, it's not on Netflix. It's like they have originals, but that's it.

We pretty much just use it for originals and comedy. They have a massive lineup of comedian standup specials now, with a steady flow of new ones. Everyone else is trying to catch up. Chappelle's latest one was definitely worth a rewatch. There was a lot in it to unpack, and I got more out of it the second time. It was laugh out loud funny at numerous points on both watches.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside