View topic image gallery

It Would Be Wrong (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191115-134730~2 (resized).png
The Black Hole Hologram (resized).jpg
D2CCE14D-DC7E-491D-AC3A-0BCACAC2127A (resized).jpeg
83640AD4-CF40-459C-8CA3-43016A323C57 (resized).jpeg
43BCEF11-E5CC-49A5-BD6A-3561A708B55A (resized).jpeg
035a782a9fdaa9d8370aa23ef0dd9595--favorite-quotes-favorite-things (resized).jpg
There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 4 years ago

My guess is pretty soon movie theaters are out of business, and if you want to a Disney movie, you'll have to pay handsomely. Either limited to full year subscription, or monthly plus additional fee.

Non availability otherwise.

For this thread, no, no Disney+.

We do Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and FuboTV. I run Plex with a ton of purchased content as well. I'm good.

Honestly, I'm not a Star Wars guy, and the rest of the outdated content seems like a flash in the pan. That said, I'm happy for everyone that finds it helpful.

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

My guess is pretty soon movie theaters are out of business, and if you want to a Disney movie, you'll have to pay handsomely. Either limited to full year subscription, or monthly plus additional fee.
Non availability otherwise.
For this thread, no, no Disney+.
We do Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and FuboTV. I run Plex with a ton of purchased content as well. I'm good.
Honestly, I'm not a Star Wars guy, and the rest of the outdated content seems like a flash in the pan. That said, I'm happy for everyone that finds it helpful.

I wouldn’t even consider it if I didn’t have kids right in the Disney sweet spot. They are in heaven lol

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You liked the final pullaway shot of their ship flying to a new planet on the other side of the Black Hole best?
There is a market for everything, I guess. I always regarded it as a clunky, very talkative, ultimately unsatisfying movie.

No, the shot of Reinhart and Maximilian merged together, overseeing the fires of hell.

We all have different opinions, and if you didn't like it, that's fine. But to say it is "wrong" just isn't accurate.

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

No, the shot of Reinhart and Maximilian merged together, overseeing the fires of hell.
We all have different opinions, and if you didn't like it, that's fine. But to say it is "wrong" just isn't accurate.

Oh, THAT part. That was weird and dumb, too, since it was mixing religion (heaven/hell) with science (black holes). Very unimaginitive. That part specifically, my son asked aloud how high they were when they wrote that scene.

But where did I say "wrong"? I said it was bad (which 40% rottentomatoes and general reviews of the time agree with), but there clearly was a market for it if you liked it and it managed a 40% aggregate review.

But hey, I like my share of bad movies, too. Still have a soft spot for Xanadu, a movie I openly admit is bad and has only 25% aggregate at Rottentomatoes.

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Oh, THAT part. That was weird and dumb, too, since it was mixing religion (heaven/hell) with science (black holes). Very unimaginitive. That part specifically, my son asked aloud how high they were when they wrote that scene.
But where did I say "wrong"? I said it was bad (which 40% rottentomatoes and general reviews of the time agree with), but there clearly was a market for it if you liked it and it managed a 40% aggregate review.
But hey, I like my share of bad movies, too. Still have a soft spot for Xanadu, a movie I openly admit is bad and has only 25% aggregate at Rottentomatoes.

If you think that scene was "dumb", I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. And stop using rottentomatoes to judge the quality of a film, that's for the masses.

Love Xanadu, or more specifically the soundtrack. I just listened to it the other week.

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That imagineer series was really interesting (at least episode 1). Sampled it at random, stayed for the whole thing, looking forward to episode 2 now. It's amazing how much behind-the-scenes video they have of the creation of Disneyland due to the deal they made with ABC way back in the 1950s.

I really enjoyed the first episode. I kind of wish someone other than Disney would make a balanced documentary about Disney and the city of Anaheim because they have been at odds the last few years and Disney had really been taking advantage of them for a long time. Of course, it's not all take on Disney's part, but it would make a great topic to get into just how much special treatment Disney gets.

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I could not disagree more. The Black Hole is an excellent movie on so many levels. It has a great story, fantastic effects, a stellar cast that ranks right up there with Star Wars(it's probably a bit better), an excellent soundtrack, one of the best evil robots in history, and an ending that still gives me shivers when I see it. It was slight of a deviation from Disney at that time with it's theme. Sure it has a bit of campiness, but it has been on my annual watch list since it came out on laser disc. That last pull away shot in the finale...hell I can't think of any other scene that is done as well with as much effect as that one.

Excellent? Hardly. I had some great designs and a great cast, but it just didn't deliver to well. Sad part is, if you ever see any of the production designs for the movie They are way better than they look in the movie. Even V.I.N.C.E.N.T. and B.O.B , though very similar to the way they look in the movie were a lot more impressive than what ended up on the screen.
There are some great parts in the movie, like the ending, but also early on when the Palomino first encounters the black hole and the crew views it as a hologram. It was a practical effect of projection on a plate of glass on the set, and is really convincing.
The Black Hole Hologram (resized).jpgThe Black Hole Hologram (resized).jpg

But the directing, and script leave a lot to be desired. And John Barry's score is like a collection of bad cuts from his Bond movie scores (except the title music, which is great).

#158 4 years ago

I’m guessing no 4K treatment for us Black Hole aficionados?

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Excellent? Hardly. I had some great designs and a great cast, but it just didn't deliver to well. Sad part is, if you ever see any of the production designs for the movie They are way better than they look in the movie. Even V.I.N.C.E.N.T. and B.O.B , though very similar to the way they look in the movie were a lot more impressive than what ended up on the screen.
There are some great parts in the movie, like the ending, but also early on when the Palomino first encounters the black hole and the crew views it as a hologram. It was a practical effect of projection on a plate of glass on the set, and is really convincing.
[quoted image]
But the directing, and script leave a lot to be desired. And John Barry's score is like a collection of bad cuts from his Bond movie scores (except the title music, which is great).

It ain't perfect, but for me, it's close. Agree on the black hole shot via hologram, and it happens only like 5 minutes into the film. Like Predator, it's a lean film and gets to the story immediately. For the score, I always think of the main theme and title credits. And to think this was released 3 years prior to TRON.

As I've aged, I find the best part to be Maximilian Schell's performance, he leaves nothing behind, even for a silly space opera film for Disney.

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

My guess is pretty soon movie theaters are out of business,

This is a terrible guess.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Oh yeah? How many record stores do you see around any more? Why would it be any different for movie theaters?

#162 4 years ago
Quoted from shepP:

I’m guessing no 4K treatment for us Black Hole aficionados?

It's a super-grainy transfer. They list it as HD, not 4k, but the excessive grain makes it look worse than it should.

#163 4 years ago

Mandalorian ep2 was pretty good. Liking the series so far!

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Relax, it's only an opinion. Sheesh.

#165 4 years ago

Disney says they're going to crack down on subscription sharing and I'm wondering how they plan to do that.

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Disney says they're going to crack down on subscription sharing and I'm wondering how they plan to do that.

Some combination of MAC address and geo-location lock?

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from tjprice222:

Oh yeah? How many record stores do you see around any more?

There’s dozens in my city. Poor choice since vinyl is cool again.

Also, movie theatres will always offer an experience you can’t get at home or from your living room. Sort of like how pinball works.

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from tjprice222:

Oh yeah? How many record stores do you see around any more? Why would it be any different for movie theaters?

There are no record stores but there are a lot of live venues. Both a concert and a movie theaters are experiences you can’t have at home.

#169 4 years ago
Screenshot_20191115-134730~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191115-134730~2 (resized).png
#170 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Mandalorian ep2 was pretty good. Liking the series so far!

We are really enjoying the visuals. It is a gorgeous show. I personally love the storyboards during the credits.

I do find some plot points irritating thus far. Like he can only get to point A to get the mcguffin via route 1. But then 5 minutes later they toss that concept out the window and are like “screw it, you do you mando. All we really wanted was a pretty scene. Take any route you want do we can get a different pretty scene”.

But man is it pretty.

Moving on...the wife and I are really enjoying the “Forky Asks A Question” toy story 4 shorts. Far more than our kids I suspect.

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

We are really enjoying the visuals. It is a gorgeous show. I personally love the storyboards during the credits.
I do find some plot points irritating thus far. Like he can only get to point A to get the mcguffin via route 1. But then 5 minutes later they toss that concept out the window and are like “screw it, you do you mando. All we really wanted was a pretty scene. Take any route you want do we can get a different pretty scene”.
But man is it pretty.
Moving on...the wife and I are really enjoying the “Forky Asks A Question” toy story 4 shorts. Far more than our kids I suspect.

Ya, watching the credits, just the music is great, then the art on the screen is lovely. HA I didn't even think of that stuff, I just kind of take in the show and don't try to think too hard, I missed that.

Forky...I think I watched one episode and it was pretty funny. He was interviewing the pig haha. I didn't realize there were more. I'll have to check them out. I also saw sequels I've never heard of, like Aladdin 2.

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

There are no record stores but there are a lot of live venues. Both a concert and a movie theaters are experiences you can’t have at home.

No record stores? What about Amoeba and Rasputin?

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Forky...I think I watched one episode and it was pretty funny. He was interviewing the pig haha. I didn't realize there were more. I'll have to check them out. I also saw sequels I've never heard of, like Aladdin 2.

One Forky episode was available at launch. Another dropped sometime after (Friday?). There are supposed to be 10 episodes in total so I am keeping my eye out.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I had no idea that George Lucas filmed episodes 2 and 3 of the Star Wars prequels using 1080p digital cameras with NO FILM BACKUP. Disney Plus 4k versions of the original trilogy and the first prequel look very good, but holy crap do the two other prequel movies 4k transfers look terrible! Disney tried to upres it from 1080p to 4k and it got all blurry and weird looking. The only reason the first prequel has a good 4k transfer is Lucas shot with a film backup for the first one.

Yep, Episode I was shot on Arriflex 435Es, but I think he did editing all digitally, which means the film was telecined to the best digital res at the time... 1080p I guess.

Episode II however WAS stupidly shot on the Sony HDW F900. At least it shot in 24P. Insanity. He was just being lazy though, he wanted to film and edit digitally as fast as possible. Totally ridiculous. And ironic that the worst of the Prequels ends up looking the nicest.

1 week later
#175 4 years ago

Saw they are up to 15 million people. I don’t think it’s been rolled out to the rest of the world yet.

#176 4 years ago

Based on my stock reports, it’s pretty clear that Netflix was right when they said they were not worried. Checking both sites, Netflix is focusing on teen/adult content much more heavily than their competitor. Disney still has a way to go - I am skeptical but it will be interesting to see if they can hit the 100 million mark eventually.

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Based on my stock reports, it’s pretty clear that Netflix was right when they said they were not worried. Checking both sites, Netflix is focusing on teen/adult content much more heavily than their competitor. Disney still has a way to go - I am skeptical but it will be interesting to see if they can hit the 100 million mark eventually.

I think there's room for all of them currently, especially if they each continue to produce quality content.

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/this-disney-show-dethroned-stranger-things-as-most-streamed-show-in-the-us-news.96625.html

#178 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think there's room for all of them currently, especially if they each continue to produce quality content.
https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/this-disney-show-dethroned-stranger-things-as-most-streamed-show-in-the-us-news.96625.html

That’s what I’m thinking too - I just scrolled through Disney + for an hour, and I love all the Marvel stuff from when I was a kid - but I’m not spending a ton of time watching it. After The Last Jedi, I’ve lost all interest in Star Wars (amazing feat, really - I was an original trilogy Star Wars Kid growing up), and I’ve seen the Marvel movies. My son isn’t into the Princesses, My wife hates the Muppets ( though I keep trying); there’s not a lot of content we’re connecting with here.

But clearly there is room for both!

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I dunno,
I very rarely find myself watching Netflix. Stranger Things was great, but now have to wait. We watched Santa Clarita Diet, but that got cancelled. Their movie selections are slim. I sometimes used it when I traveled, but very little I could download worth watching for plane rides. Probably going to cancel and resubscribe when ST season 4 comes out, binge it, and cancel again. Due to me wanting to do that, I can see why other services (Disney & Apple) are going with weekly programming.

Trying to work my family through a good portion of the older Disney movies we've never seen, or haven't seen in a long time. Will take a while.

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

I dunno,
I very rarely find myself watching Netflix. Stranger Things was great, but now have to wait. We watched Santa Clarita Diet, but that got cancelled. Their movie selections are slim. I sometimes used it when I traveled, but very little I could download worth watching for plane rides. Probably going to cancel and resubscribe when ST season 4 comes out, binge it, and cancel again. Due to me wanting to do that, I can see why other services (Disney & Apple) are going with weekly programming.
Trying to work my family through a good portion of the older Disney movies we've never seen, or haven't seen in a long time. Will take a while.

Netflix was a wasteland for me for a while too - sure Stranger Things yeah, but what else?

Lately, we've checked out "Money Heist" which is AWESOME. I think that's one of the best shows I've ever seen. Yes it's in spanish with subtitles, but DAMN. "Dark" is also good (also subtitled), much like Stranger Things and "Marianne" which is Stephen King's favorite new show. There are a bunch of french shows too which are great. They're taking the best of the best.

Agreed on the movies - TV series seems to be where they're spending time. Anyway, I only subscribe to Netflix currently, Disney+ since I got it free from Verizon, and Shudder. Shudder is like $4 a month and 100% worth it. Netflix is what, $12?

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Netflix is what, $12?

Try $16 if you want 4k HDR streams. The worst part is Netflix seems to have been playing with the compression making some of the 4k HDR content look worse than 1080p.

#182 4 years ago

No disney+ for me, I've given them, and the Beatles, enough money for one lifetime.
Not that Netflix is that great either. I don't really wish to support the disney corporation.
We need an all good/great Movie channel without disney films included.

#183 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Try $16 if you want 4k HDR streams. The worst part is Netflix seems to have been playing with the compression making some of the 4k HDR content look worse than 1080pm

Every time I search for something, it's not on Netflix. It's like they have originals, but that's it.

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Every time I search for something, it's not on Netflix. It's like they have originals, but that's it.

We pretty much just use it for originals and comedy. They have a massive lineup of comedian standup specials now, with a steady flow of new ones. Everyone else is trying to catch up. Chappelle's latest one was definitely worth a rewatch. There was a lot in it to unpack, and I got more out of it the second time. It was laugh out loud funny at numerous points on both watches.

#185 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Chappelle's latest one was definitely worth a rewatch. There was a lot in it to unpack, and I got more out of it the second time. It was laugh out loud funny at numerous points on both watches.

It wasn't bad live, either!

#186 4 years ago

Same here. I will probably cancel after watching the Irishman.

#187 4 years ago

Disney+ free with Verizon is OK, but we haven't found much to watch. Here there has been a somewhat substantial collection of DVD and Blu-ray Disney movies going back for years so we have pretty much all of those already. I could conceivably even rip them all and put them on a server so we could conveniently watch them any time we want.

It Would Be Wrong (resized).jpgIt Would Be Wrong (resized).jpg

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We pretty much just use it for originals and comedy. They have a massive lineup of comedian standup specials now, with a steady flow of new ones. Everyone else is trying to catch up. Chappelle's latest one was definitely worth a rewatch. There was a lot in it to unpack, and I got more out of it the second time. It was laugh out loud funny at numerous points on both watches.

Good point- they are definitely the new HBO in that respect. We really dug the Ali Wong specials (I thought I’d hate it) and her movie was really funny too. Not usually my cup of tea but damn were there some scenes that had me laughing my ass off.

Season 1 of Derry Girls is funny as hell too. Season 2 was just dumb teenage stuff but they nailed the pre-ceasefire northern Irish catholic scene in season 1.

#189 4 years ago

On Netflix, they have a series about toys from the 70’s and 80’s....an awesome series.

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

On Netflix, they have a series about toys from the 70’s and 80’s....an awesome series.

The toys that made us...

Also, check out the movies that made us that's a good series as well.

Netflix has a lot of great original content.

#191 4 years ago

Timely article:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/its-not-your-imagination-netflix-doesnt-have-as-many-movies-as-it-used-to-2019-12-04?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disney-/page/4?hl=raegor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.