(Topic ID: 175491)

Discussing pricing in For Sale threads... right or wrong?

By pinlink

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Whysnow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

totally fair game and EXPECT comments if you make a FS ad and forum topic with it.
    The thing that matters is how you say it or your motives behind it. For example, certain people are well known for crapping on a thread to try and push people off a game or down play its value because they are actively hunting for the title.
    I just prefer some linking of actual sales (like forceflow did in the Jolly thread once called out for lack of it). It is especially important when dealing with a rare deck and few sales. Just saying "do your research" is passive aggressive BS which can call a seller or game into question without merit.
    TLDR... intent of your comment is just as important and using facts/past sales makes your opinion have some value.

Lets be honest here you are talking about me. I would also say you have a tendency to price pump machines you already own, but then if we get into this debate I will get another long winded rant of a pm from you that will just get ignored.

You don't back up your opinions on sales unless called out and even then from experience you have used only ones that support your view. So before you start pointing fingers at me why don't you live up to your own expectations.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Saying do your homework is just an underhanded way of either implying the price is high or the seller has a bad reputation. If you are going to say something just say it so the seller can respond to your exact issue with the game or their reputation.

Versus what other way? If you say anything except *great price* or *great seller* keyboard warriors on here take up arms.

The hilarity of the situation is that I don't think the guy is entirely out of line in is price. Yes, it can be had much cheaper. I in fact was contacted by the guy two months ago and offered it for the same price and passed. Then, I was offered one off rgp for 4k and passed as well, but only because I got offered a game I wanted more, Mystery Castle.

However, if you want the game it does not come up for sale often. Its near impossible to restore unless you want to fabricate it yourself so buy a nice one. All I said is for people to "do their homework" so they can decide if paying now is worth waiting for something that might take ages to come across. Yet, because this is pinside and I didn't blow rainbows and sunshine out of my rear a couple of you took this as an affront.

It is *underhanded* to suggest people look into a potential 6k purchase. It is a *scumbag move* to remind folks that there is a whole internet of information out there. It is *trolling* to say anything except how amazing the seller is and how much a joy it should be for you to fork out your cash regardless of the price.

What a bunch of sheep.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I wasn't involved in whatever thread or sale you are talking about. So not really sure what has you upset. But in general it is a lot more helpful to say something directly so buyer's know what your issue is and the seller can directly respond. Do your research means nothing as anyone buying a 5k toy should be doing some research. Just say what your issue is or don't say anything at all. Being indirect is not helpful.

And on here even if you show proof that a game is overpriced you get inundated with keyboard warriors screaming troll. So there isn't a way to be *helpful*.

Being helpful is having a real meaningful discussion about the pros and cons of a particular sale. Here on pinside you do not get that. If someone has a terrible reputation then people who have never dealt with them will hound the person mercilessly. They will go on there own little crusade which would be great if they had any first hand experience.

Short of that anything that is not purely positive sparks a nerd rage which quickly derails a sale thread.

You can't say, well this game is overpriced and here is why I think that and spark meaningful discussion. You can't tread the middle ground either which is what I was trying to do or else you are a scumbag.

Frankly, they need to just disable commenting on sales threads. The mindless idiot that post great price even when its clearly overpriced and the game ends up sitting for months do more harm than anything. The only useful comments are from those that have dealt with the person in question and can attest to their character. At least then there is some meaning for a potential buyer that isn't pandering or geared toward inflating prices.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I think a lot of threads get out of hand, but if I'm selling a game I would much rather you point out exact issues with my game or reputation. Saying do your home work brings all kinds of things into question. Direct examples why my price is high allows me to respond and consider if I need to lower the price, ignore it because I disagree, or possibly accept an offer that turns out to be inline with the market. Many of us can take it and are not offended. Maybe we are the minority though.

It doesn't tend to be an issue with most sellers. Its the white knights on here that think they are somehow helping, but just derail the entire thread into nonsense that ruin it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/discussing-pricing-in-for-sale-threads?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.