• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

schematic (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hi all and happy new year !
My Williams system 3 Disco Fever is driving me mad.
As soon as drop target 'E' or 'R' goes down other inputs corresponding to the same column stop working.
Even when drop target E or R are not down the inputs of the same column are not very responsive.
They need to be triggered several time to report 'closed' when in test mode. Other inputs from other columns / lines are responsive as normal.
I checked all diodes and connections for shorts or open circuit (from 2J2 and 2J3), I even checked for ground fault. Nothing found wrong.
I tested the switch matrix from 2J2 and 2J3 using jumpers with diodes (to simulate multiple inputs closed at the same time) and every thing report perfect and in a responsive manner. What can I check next? Any idea what the issue could be? I'm lost :-s
Thanks for your suggestions.

schematic (resized).jpgschematic (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Look for weak wires in the chain where they attach to the switches. The drop target being down doesn't have a switch down they are momentarily activated as they drop, and there's a series switch for however many targets are in the chain of drops for them all being down.

Also, it might be the connectors. They're 41 years old, and are overdue to be replaced. This is my bet on why it's having troubles.

#3 5 years ago

THanks Slochar,

I have ordered new connectors for 2J2 and 2J3 already so I will see when I get them but I don't think it is the issue as I tried hooking up the specific column / row directly and it behaves the same. I read somewhere that it could be related to issues with IC15 or IC16. I have also ordered new ICs and supports.

I have planned to 1st replace the connectors and then do some more testing (disconnecting each contact one after the other until I find something).
Will see...I keep you guys posted.

#4 5 years ago

You said "I tested the switch matrix from 2J2 and 2J3 using jumpers with diodes (to simulate multiple inputs closed at the same time) and every thing report perfect and in a responsive manner." - based on this it sounded like the connector with the wiring attached, since you removed that from the equation.

Based on your latest response it does sound like something else.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Herve:

THanks Slochar,
I have ordered new connectors for 2J2 and 2J3 already so I will see when I get them but I don't think it is the issue as I tried hooking up the specific column / row directly and it behaves the same. I read somewhere that it could be related to issues with IC15 or IC16. I have also ordered new ICs and supports.
I have planned to 1st replace the connectors and then do some more testing (disconnecting each contact one after the other until I find something).
Will see...I keep you guys posted.

If you think you might need some additional help via test software, take a look at these test ROMs that I wrote: http://pincoder.reversion.ca Take a look at the .txt file for each ROM to see if any of them can help you.

The Williams Onboard RAM and CMOS tests are not the greatest at detecting faults.

These tests are more exhaustive. Perhaps some of them will be of use to you. The hard part is sourcing chips to write them to. I'm working on a solution that uses a single, widely available chip to use. More on that later..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

1,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disco-fever-williams-system-3-switch-matrix-issue?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.