Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Ibex101
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hey all I just finished up installing new flipper mechs in my disco fever. After what I thought was a good clean install and with the play field installed I tried starting up a game. Right off the bat there were display issues (missing digits 2-4 on player 1), Credit and ball in play digits were fading in and out, and the game would not start. I toggled the power on and off a few times and was able to start a game. Flippers worked great and all the targets activated however the switch that indicates ball over was intermittent and would often just kick the ball back out without ending the ball. The biggest issue is that it does not end the game after ball 3 like it dig before but goes all the way to ball 10 or higher. I ran a the onboard diagnostic which passed with 2 quick LED flashes. I also did the coin door tests which all passed. I unplugged and then plugged back in each wire harness and checked the PF for any debris that may have resulted from the flipper install but the issues continue.

I did upgrade the flippers to the newer mechs with different coils but left off the EOS caps that often come on later games. Could that be causing the issues?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Ibex101:

I unplugged and then plugged back in each wire harness

Did you pull the boards and look for solder joint problems? This era machine is notorious for cold solder joints.
Wiggle the connections and see if your problems go away.
Example of old cracked solder joint, reflow should resolve many issues...

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:BallySoundFracturedHeaders.jpg

#3 5 years ago

Ill have to look at which board I have on there. I know I reflowed of the joints on one of my system 4 boards. I guess that's next on my list. Ill update when done.

3 weeks later
#4 4 years ago

Swapped out driver boards and everything works good. Looks like I need a new interconnect.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

1,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disco-fever-issues-after-flipper-mech-install and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.