(Topic ID: 55485)

Disaster strikes my game room!!! Has this ever happened to you?????

By Honch

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Honch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sexy_maid.jpg
100_0976.JPG
100_0978.JPG
100_0975.JPG
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

In the middle of a game on my Monster Bash, the solenoids stopped working. It was during Drac attack (Dracula stopped working too) so I took the glass off to check plugs under the playfield and everything looked like it was snug. I then decided to check fuses next. I never put the playfield glass back on (big mistake) and removed the back glass box. I checked all the fuses and they all checked out fine with my DMM. As I'm putting the plug for the lights back into the box back , I'm holding the box across my forearm kinda like you carry a pizza. Without warning it suddenly shattered into thousands of pieces. Now the real pain in the ass begins, As I have no choice but to rip this game all the way down to get all the glass out. On the bright side, I was eventually going to get this game cleared anyway, it just looks like I'm on an accelerated schedule now.I have seen this happen to guys with their playfield glass, but this is the first time I've seen the back glass explode. Anybody else experience this before? Oh yeah, I never did get to figure out what was wrong in the first place.

100_0975.JPG100_0975.JPG 100_0978.JPG100_0978.JPG 100_0976.JPG100_0976.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Happened to me once....you'll be cleaning up glass forever!

#3 10 years ago

Ive had back glass and Ive had playfield glass do it.. Each time my techs laughed at me and said well that just cost you 8 hours minimum of your time to clean up. It sucks

#4 10 years ago

That blows

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from mezzblue:

you'll be cleaning up glass forever

I was amazed at how much more glass there was under and around the game too.

Quoted from Gexchange:

that just cost you 8 hours minimum of your time to clean up

unfortunately, I have a feeling it's going to take me a lot longer than that.

#6 10 years ago

Wow, man. I am really sorry to hear this. I did see this happen to a Jurrasic Park at an auction. Good news was my brother got it for a song...allthough, he and I had to clean the glass out as well. Grab a low suction vacuum and use a crevice tool....don't worry, it will clean up!

#7 10 years ago

Sorry it happened but I think Elvira next door may be the perp.Good luck with it tho

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

but I think Elvira next door may be the perp

She was getting a bit jealous. At the end of the day, it's not that big of a deal. I just figured I'd post it, that way people are aware of the potential disaster next time they pull off the glass.

#9 10 years ago

Yes it totally sucks!, also happened on a video game I was working on while on location at a regal cinema , glass shot all the way across the lobby floor. Not a good day

#10 10 years ago

Sorry man, you have my sympathies. ,

#11 10 years ago

It happened to the guy I bought my bingo from. But it was the original plate glass. He got a lot of stitches in his hand. I cleaned some glass out of it still. Cheap vacuum that has a bag worked pretty well.

Plate glass seems to make less of a mess, but it's a lot more dangerous.

#12 10 years ago

Holy cow, that sucks big time.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Sharon:

No doubt. The broken glass pieces on my game really aren't very sharp.

#14 10 years ago

Bummer Honch, Do you need cleaning assistance?

sexy_maid.jpgsexy_maid.jpg

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

That would work. I'm assuming cash is ok.

#16 10 years ago

I've never heard of the backglass exploding, but man, I hope that your MB gets cleaned up ASAP!!

#17 10 years ago

Sorry for your loss. Not to be funny but would a shop vac work?

#18 10 years ago

Perspex sheet replacement instead of glass for the win.

Happy cleaning.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I'm holding the box across my forearm kinda like you carry a pizza. Without warning it suddenly shattered into thousands of pieces.

Did this really happen or did you say something offensive to your spouse and dodge a flying dish?

Good luck with that clean up man; this happened to a buddy of mine and he said even after a total tear down he was finding glass in his game for months.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I think I would break my glass on purpose fir that assistant......

#21 10 years ago

Hi painbrother,

in the first days of 2013, I would check the timestamp of the batteries on my machines. As you, I took the BG in one hand. On the LotR, suddenly the BG slip out of my fingers and crashes in the $$-invisible-Cabinetglass. It crumbling in some razersharp peaces (maybe it wasn´t savity glass). Because stern glue the translites to the BGs, the LotR-translite was further badly scratched by the fragmented BG and the $$-invisi-cabinetglasses became deep scratches too. Luckly for me, the CG don´t broke. Anyway, not a good day for my pinball ardor.

The conclusion for me: take even more care by handling brittle glasses and replace the translite/broken BG with a non-reflective non-destructible polycarbonat sheet.

#22 10 years ago

If it gets to be too much to clean it you could always sell it to me extra cheap "disaster edition MB". I will have it proffesionally cleaned by a huge monster movie fan.

Crappy stuff and no that has never happend to me....yet.

#23 10 years ago

Feel your pain. Busted a PF glass on my FT once. Totally blows.

Definetly hire centerflanks assistant though.

#24 10 years ago

cleaning broken glass what a nightmare of a job, hope it all works out for you

#25 10 years ago

Watch out for the glass edges, thats were the risk is, a slight bump on the edge of the glass is when it will explode, also rapid temp change will explode glass.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

That would work. I'm assuming cash is ok.

Don't think much glass would get removed with an assistant like that

#27 10 years ago

I bought a Breakshot that had obviously had happened to before I got it. I found glass down in the pop bumpers and other places. Good thing I shopped it!

#28 10 years ago

Wow, that really stinks. I have this very fear with playfield glass, it never occurred to me that it could do the same with a back glass. I mean, it makes perfect sense, but for some reason I never thought of it.

Hope you can get it cleaned up and there are no scratches on the play field!

We have first world problems for sure!

Chris

#29 10 years ago

wow that sucks bigtime! Ok, note to self...dont hold back glass like a pizza box.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Sharon:

That's what i'm starting to use,You will never 100% get all that tempered glass out.

#31 10 years ago

It's like little diamonds everywhere. Except their worthless.

Pretty shitty, hope I never have to deal with that, unless it comes with a French maid to help cleanup

#32 10 years ago

I had the bg on a SOF explode in the middle of the night, I went to grab something out of the gameroom on the way to work in the morning and noticed glass everywhere I still find a piece every once in a while.

#33 10 years ago

Would a shop-vac be bad to use to clean up the majority of it?

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

That's the best thing to use cause they are such tiny pieces everywhere

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I'd hang playfield upside down on a rotisserie or across 2 sawhorses, remove plastics and shop vac away.

Be aware of subways, speakers, pops and other places where glass may hide.

Tap pieces loose at different angles as you work.

#36 10 years ago

That sucks that it ended up on the pf...be careful not to scratch it!

Has happened to me many times over the years and just happened to me on arcade glass which had art which really sucks!

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

That's what i'm starting to use,You will never 100% get all that tempered glass out.

I would heavily advise against that. Yeah, tempered glass shatters sometimes, but it will never kill anybody. Plate glass of that size can kill.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

I would heavily advise against that

I agree, it broke exactly how it is designed to avoid danger.

#39 10 years ago

If anything people who are willing to go with plate glass might consider laminated tempered glass. If done right that won't shatter into a million little pieces. It will break more like a windshield.

#40 10 years ago

I think about this every time I see a TNT amusements video advertising a restored game. the guy (Todd, i guess) slams the BG's in and out and puts them down on the sloped pf glass where they seem like they could slide and fall easily. but hey, he's owned a helluva lot more pins than me so who's to say.

#41 10 years ago

Just stick with tempered glass.

You won't believe what the price of laminated is in custom sizes.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

We have first world problems for sure!

So true, if this is the worst thing I deal with this year, I'm golden.

Quoted from vid1900:

Just stick with tempered glass.

What about plexiglass? Anybody ever use that before?

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

What about plexiglass? Anybody ever use that before?

Sags like a mofo.

#44 10 years ago

Sorry.

Yes I've had it happen. Once on a MB too. I was sliding the glass out to replace a couple bulbs and about 2/3rds of the way out it crumbled. All over floor and inside of game.

And most recently had one from AFM blow up on me at my Spring Pinball Circus.

Crap happens. This crap can be vacuumed up.

LTG : )

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

also rapid temp change will explode glass.

+1. That is the only time I saw a spontaneous explosion. Moving a pin, buddy leaned the glass up against side of garage on sunny day, 2 minutes later BOOM.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sags like a mofo.

Thanks, that's good to know before I waste my time.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Crap happens.

It was a first for me, but I figure it comes with the territory.

Quoted from Patofnaud:

buddy leaned the glass up against side of garage on sunny day, 2 minutes later BOOM.

I heard this can happen easily to the old plate glass BG's, especially if you sit them on a damp floor.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Sharon:

And cuts into the playfield like a huge wood chisel. Very nasty, I've seen it many years ago.

LTG : )

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

I would heavily advise against that. Yeah, tempered glass shatters sometimes, but it will never kill anybody. Plate glass of that size can kill.

Nah!! You Gotta have Ballz Man...

#50 10 years ago

Meh. There's a difference between having balls and having someone put their wrist through an oversized piece of plate glass that is supposed to be tempered.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 75.00
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disaster-strikes-my-game-room-has-this-ever-happened-to-you/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.