(Topic ID: 6193)

Disappointment at PPE 11

By The_Dude_Abides

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_dude_abides.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

Okay, I did not get a chance to stay the whole weekend but for the day I did play I was seriously disappointed. They not only kept the amount of older pins they had on display they extended it this year thoroughly trumping the DMD section.

All my friends felt the same frustration and I am seriously thinking of skipping PPE next year. Their selection of new DMD pins that most people want to play was non-existent when compared to this years epic California Extreme. Sorry to be a downer but in my opinion it was a sad showing for an event that has such great potential. I mean no disrespect to those that love older EM pins I just don't see the reasoning behind having them out number the newer pins almost 3 to 1.

On a lighter note I finally got to play Tron for the first time and thought it was pretty fun machine. Very unpredictable but fun nonetheless. And the color DMD on AFM was pretty cool as well!

#10 12 years ago

I forgot to give a shout out to Marco for bringing 2 TRONS (one LE one Pro) with great sound system and display your efforts were much appreciated!!!

Quoted from davewtf:

yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion... man.

Quoted from NimblePin:

Let's take a road trip up to Seattle next year and Chicago as well!
    I like the Pinsider easter egg hunt.

That could be pretty fun I was kind of thinking of Seattle this year I just couldn't swing
    it.

Quoted from jay:

So while I wouldn't say I was disappointed in CAX I was hardly blown away.

Although there were many pins that could use some work there were still a huge amount of pins to play and I really liked the way they set it us this year at CAX. I thought overall it was great especially when comparing it to this years PPE. But like Dave mentioned that's just like my opinion man....

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Was it an LCD screen then?

It looked exactly like the regular dot matrix display but in color. I thought it looked pretty cool and that they did a good job on it.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, it is not a LCD screen then? When the score flashes up in crystal clear blue, it looks like an LCD?

It is a LCD simon I guess they kept the animations looking like dot for authenticity with color of course. Here is their site for further info.

http://www.colordmd.com/

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

C'mon nimble and TDA, you know you're always welcome. I would love to show you the town.

Thanks gm451 tempting sounds like it is a great show. I guess we will have to see how things go next year. If I do end up making plans to go up I will definitely let you know.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Yeah, if DMDs are mainly your thing, PPE may not be your show. There are more modern games than in the past, but if your sole reason for going is to play modern games and the others are just taking up space then you might want to skip it.

It seems to me they had even less modern pins this year compared to the past 3 years. By modern I was referring to 80's and up. It really did seem like 80's and newer pins were outnumbered 3 to 1 by pins made before I was born. I was just frustration with the lack of selection of more modern pins. They had no Taxi, MB, SS, SM, LOTR, TOM, TSPP, The Dark Knight, TS, FT, NGG, Tommy, and many many more. (edit thanks NP I did not remember seeing CC, POTC and two MM some may have arrived after I had to take off Friday night).

With the exception of a very few older ones I played I really only come for more recently made pins 80's and up. Maybe I should take your advice, it would likely be less frustration if I passed on next years PPE and tried to make a trip up north for the Seattle Expo.

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Hey, Dude! What game(s) did you bring? []
    Only slightly kidding ya.

You know as well as I do that many times they turn away newer pins once they reach a certain number. I paid for a weekend pass (3 years in a row) and bought multiple raffle tickets which is a contribution to the event. That is in fact a big aspect of what keeps it going (attendance). And in my opinion does grant me a right to express my opinions on the event.

Don't get me wrong I am glad we have good people staffing and making this event happen. And much props to those who brought pins for our enjoyment. But at the same time I see no reason not to let others in on what I thought of the event. It may help prevent someone was making a long trip to make it and then find out it is not what they expected. Just throwing it out there you can throw it right back if you prefer I have no problems with that.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Whoa. I got your vibe, dude. Now, before I bail the hell out of here let me address a couple things;

I respect your opinion and hold no anger within regardless of what was said. My opinion remains the same, sorry it seemed to ignite your anger/spitefulness the way it did. Maybe someone is having a bad day and that's okay. I see no reason to try and attack me for voicing my opinion but I will let it go with no negativity held within like a twig blowing in the wind. Hope you all have a good day.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from tk375:

I thank you for your honest opinion on this show and will look forward to shows where people and companies bring they DMD machines to the shows.

Thanks for the kind words tk. I think you would love California Extreme. If you have never attended that one it is one heck of an event you may want to look into it next year. It would be great to see you there.

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

I do see where I was getting increasingly sarcastic when I should have just stepped back. Sorry, man. Olive branch extended........

No problem Cliffy it happens to all of us at one time or another no hard feelings here. Olive branch gladly accepted my friend. Different viewpoints are the spice of life. I do agree 100% that those that put the event together and bring the machines deserve the communities thanks for all the hard work. I was just trying to throw out my honest take on the event compared to others and did not want to create any sort of animosity. One thing I did love at PPE was those huge nostalgic posters they had hanging they were beautiful!

Quoted from jonnyo:

I didn't really get into EMs until I had to play one in a tournament and really think about how to play the game instead of just batting the ball around. O

I honestly don't think I will ever get into playing EMs to the point I would want to own one or play for extended periods on them. I can understand why some are attracted to them though. I have put some time on them and they are just not my cup of tea. To each their own.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_dude_abides.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disappointment-at-ppe-11?tu=the_dude_abides and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.