7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by The_Dude_Abides
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images.jpeg

#1 7 years ago

Okay, I did not get a chance to stay the whole weekend but for the day I did play I was seriously disappointed. They not only kept the amount of older pins they had on display they extended it this year thoroughly trumping the DMD section.

All my friends felt the same frustration and I am seriously thinking of skipping PPE next year. Their selection of new DMD pins that most people want to play was non-existent when compared to this years epic California Extreme. Sorry to be a downer but in my opinion it was a sad showing for an event that has such great potential. I mean no disrespect to those that love older EM pins I just don't see the reasoning behind having them out number the newer pins almost 3 to 1.

On a lighter note I finally got to play Tron for the first time and thought it was pretty fun machine. Very unpredictable but fun nonetheless. And the color DMD on AFM was pretty cool as well!

#2 7 years ago

Everything's a bleepin' travesty with you, man!

#3 7 years ago

I kinda agree with you TDA on CAX being the better CA show this year.
    I will say they are two completely different shows. However, I did enjoy playing our checkered history for a little while, since Saturday was pretty much a wash for anything DMD related. Friday and Sunday though were awesome, foot-traffic wise.
    I give the nod to PPE for the seminars/speakers and variety of pins and CAX for the sheer amount of games (plus bands).
    Let's take a road trip up to Seattle next year and Chicago as well!
    I like the Pinsider easter egg hunt.
    Guymontag you're next up!

#4 7 years ago

The Seattle show is awesome...been there a few years in a row now..

Plus Portland/Seattle are pretty much the pinball capitals of the world. Practically every bar/store/whatever has pinball in them...

#5 7 years ago

yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion... man.

#6 7 years ago

Did they give a price for the color DMD yet at the show?

#7 7 years ago

I think it was $399.99.
    But sooooooo worth it.

#8 7 years ago

I wasn't able to attend PPE unfortunately so I can't comment on it but I didn't think CAX was so great. The lines were long and for each properly set up pin there was at least one that was a mess... some so bad I had to walk away from games. So while I wouldn't say I was disappointed in CAX I was hardly blown away. I might have felt differently had I not had to constantly wait for games to find out a flipper barely worked, it was multiple degrees out of level, a flipper was so poorly aligned shots were un-makable, etc.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from jay:

but I didn't think CAX was so great.

I also agree with the pin maintenance at CAX, jay. That is why next year I am bringing a pocket level and a wrench, ala Cliffy. I think TDA was just disappointed in the lack of newer machines. Plus it is a much smaller venue at PPE. You didn't miss too much buddy. I knew that it would be EM and woodrail heavy going in- so I wasn't sad. I bet HDC would have been in heaven!
    For expos, I love going in around 10:30PM to play until midnight anyway. It is usually MUCH quieter, no matter the day!
    Just some headphones and some quiet pin time. (Oh yeah, clothes help too! )

#10 7 years ago

I forgot to give a shout out to Marco for bringing 2 TRONS (one LE one Pro) with great sound system and display your efforts were much appreciated!!!

Quoted from davewtf:

yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion... man.

Quoted from NimblePin:

That could be pretty fun I was kind of thinking of Seattle this year I just couldn't swing
    it.

Quoted from jay:

So while I wouldn't say I was disappointed in CAX I was hardly blown away.

Although there were many pins that could use some work there were still a huge amount of pins to play and I really liked the way they set it us this year at CAX. I thought overall it was great especially when comparing it to this years PPE. But like Dave mentioned that's just like my opinion man....

#11 7 years ago

Yeah, if DMDs are mainly your thing, PPE may not be your show. There are more modern games than in the past, but if your sole reason for going is to play modern games and the others are just taking up space then you might want to skip it.

If you are looking at it as "modern games vs..... everything else" then yes, they were outnumbered 3 to 1 (or worse). But there are many eras of pinball. There are bagatelle, pre-flipper, woodrail, wedgehead, 80s solid state, late-80s pre-dmd (example: fun house), AND THEN dmd. So no era was outnumbered. It's just how history played out.

I suggested to them to mix all eras because it gets the DMD snobs at least trying the older games while they wait for their turn (like on a 4-player game). Likewise, by breaking up the DMDs, you can hear the sound better.

It takes a little while but the EMs start to grow on you. They are simple but clever. Pop bumpers and drop targets still mean something, and the alley pass is a fun skill to learn. I also think it's cool to compare games that were 40+ years apart to each other.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

And the color DMD on AFM was pretty cool as well!

Was it an LCD screen then?

Any blur, dots, lines or did it rock?!

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Was it an LCD screen then?

It looked exactly like the regular dot matrix display but in color. I thought it looked pretty cool and that they did a good job on it.

#14 7 years ago

So, it is not a LCD screen then? When the score flashes up in crystal clear blue, it looks like an LCD?

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Guymontag you're next up!

That could be pretty fun I was kind of thinking of Seattle this year I just couldn't swing
    it.

C'mon nimble and TDA, you know you're always welcome. I would love to show you the town. If you guys made a commitment to next years Chicago expo, I would be down to go as well. And I am definitely gonna be back at the Seattle show, and hopefully drink some beers with the Laughing Otter this time.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, it is not a LCD screen then? When the score flashes up in crystal clear blue, it looks like an LCD?

It is a LCD simon I guess they kept the animations looking like dot for authenticity with color of course. Here is their site for further info.

http://www.colordmd.com/

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

C'mon nimble and TDA, you know you're always welcome. I would love to show you the town.

Thanks gm451 tempting sounds like it is a great show. I guess we will have to see how things go next year. If I do end up making plans to go up I will definitely let you know.

#18 7 years ago

It is a LCD simon I guess they kept the animations looking like dot for authenticity with color of course. Here is their site for further info.

http://www.colordmd.com/

Just signed up - thanks

Very tempted to get one.

#19 7 years ago

Thanks, wondered how the show was, hype for the colorDMD grows!

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Yeah, if DMDs are mainly your thing, PPE may not be your show. There are more modern games than in the past, but if your sole reason for going is to play modern games and the others are just taking up space then you might want to skip it.

It seems to me they had even less modern pins this year compared to the past 3 years. By modern I was referring to 80's and up. It really did seem like 80's and newer pins were outnumbered 3 to 1 by pins made before I was born. I was just frustration with the lack of selection of more modern pins. They had no Taxi, MB, SS, SM, LOTR, TOM, TSPP, The Dark Knight, TS, FT, NGG, Tommy, and many many more. (edit thanks NP I did not remember seeing CC, POTC and two MM some may have arrived after I had to take off Friday night).

With the exception of a very few older ones I played I really only come for more recently made pins 80's and up. Maybe I should take your advice, it would likely be less frustration if I passed on next years PPE and tried to make a trip up north for the Seattle Expo.

#21 7 years ago

I'd be happy playing Wizard or Royal Flush almost all day so I think I'd have a blast at PPE. Unfortunately, CAX might be the better place to play those games because I'll never have to wait in line for them like MM or AFM.

Has anyone seen the tourny results for PPE yet? Wondering how the SoCal folks did.

#22 7 years ago

From another forum I frequent:

"Kevin Martin, of PAPA fame, Champion. Keith Elwin 2nd, and Cayle George 3rd. (I believe that's the order, but will not swear on a stack of bibles. Not sure who came in 4th."

Kyle Seller from VRPA got 6th...

#23 7 years ago

Hey, Dude! What game(s) did you bring?
    Only slightly kidding ya. In reality if people wanna see modern games at ANY show WE are the ones who have to bring them! There is no central repository of DMD games that the PPE staff can just pull from. They do have such a repository of EM's though because they are a museum, the PPM.

I brought my Dredd. I usually try to bring two games but only had room for one but hey, I brought one!

#24 7 years ago

They had no Taxi,MM, MB, SS, SM, LOTR, TOM, TSPP, The Dark Knight, POTC, TS, CC, FT, NGG, Tommy, and many many more.

Seriously???????? Well, hopefully they have more modern pins next year.

#25 7 years ago

I would be very happy to help fellow Pinsiders find accommodations and amenities (and other goodies for the Dudes amongst us) in Seattle. Just let me know if you're coming this way and I'll take you on the Big Tour, which will probably include a couple of collector's caves!

Julie Gray of Seattle got 9th in the Open Competition. Cayle George lives here too.

There were a few pinballers who were miffed that videogames and pinballs were being mixed at the Seattle show this year, but big deal! That's how the arcades were back then. Mix of DMDs and EMs. Every Bally System 11 game was there this year.

#26 7 years ago

for all the pinsiders in northern california there is also pin a go go. every may in dixon ca. a great little expo with close to 100 pins. its a lot of fun and a very laid back atmosphere.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Hey, Dude! What game(s) did you bring?
    Only slightly kidding ya. In reality if people wanna see modern games at ANY show WE are the ones who have to bring them! There is no central repository of DMD games that the PPE staff can just pull from. They do have such a repository of EM's though because they are a museum, the PPM.

I was reading this wondering who brings the machines and sets the shop up. I am impressed due to the amount of work that would take. Props to anyone here that may be involved. I only wish I was closer to help in any way I could

Thank you for the show

#28 7 years ago

Of the 3 California shows, I personally like PAGG, and CAX better. I want to make sure this is understood though: PPE IS AN AWESOME SHOW. I just enjoy the other 2 more.

Each show has its own personality, so it is not a slam liking a show for whatever criteria you go to a show for.

I look at PAGG as a get together of pinheads. Really laid back type of gathering. Feel like your helping out charity by playing pins. Flea market in the morning. BBQ in the parking lot. The smallest of the 3, but the most intimate. Really like the feel of this show. For me, it is the start of summer.

CAX is the full on arcade experience. Not just for pinheads, but anybody that hung out at an arcade. Retro laser disk music, unique vids, and pinballs. Gives me the biggest nostalgia feel. Stayed up until 2:00 playing Centaur, JJP, NGG, then jumped on a game of cocktail Warlords with my buddies. Chocolate + Milk, Peanut + Butter, Jessica Alba + Scarlett Johanson, Pins +Vids, 2 is always better than one.

PPE is the historical show. Older wood rails, exhibitions, seminars, etc.... I was playing an older pin and a group of people were following a curator that was explaining the significance of the pin I was playing. Definitely something you would not see at the other shows.

I think people that come from out of town should know what each show is like, especially if they can only afford one show. I don't see the problem liking one show over the other as they are different.

And, THANKS TO ALL THAT HELP MAKE THEM HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

And, THANKS TO ALL THAT HELP MAKE THEM HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A GIANT +1!!!!!!
    Event though EM's and woodrails are not most people's "cup-o-tea". I still enjoyed them a lot.
    The seminars were my reason for going in the first place. I even went to the Wayne Neyens interview (on DVD ).
    Talk about an illustrious career!
    The man is simply amazing.
    Great job PPE staff and thanks for having a show so diverse.
    (P.S. TDA, they did have CC, POTC and two MM's. )

I look forward to meeting more Pinsiders, as well as going to more shows across the country.
    Hopefully, like Pokemon, I can catch them all!

C'mon nimble and TDA, you know you're always welcome. I would love to show you the town.

Thanks Guymontag,
    I would love to see Portland's pin scene...
    And Cliffy, your JD is fantastic!

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Hey, Dude! What game(s) did you bring? []
    Only slightly kidding ya.

You know as well as I do that many times they turn away newer pins once they reach a certain number. I paid for a weekend pass (3 years in a row) and bought multiple raffle tickets which is a contribution to the event. That is in fact a big aspect of what keeps it going (attendance). And in my opinion does grant me a right to express my opinions on the event.

Don't get me wrong I am glad we have good people staffing and making this event happen. And much props to those who brought pins for our enjoyment. But at the same time I see no reason not to let others in on what I thought of the event. It may help prevent someone was making a long trip to make it and then find out it is not what they expected. Just throwing it out there you can throw it right back if you prefer I have no problems with that.

#31 7 years ago

Whoa. I got your vibe, dude. Now, before I bail the hell out of here let me address a couple things;

You know as well as I do that many times they turn away newer pins once they reach a certain number.

Yeah, so? I posted here and called down there to see if they had room for any games and what they preffered to see. Nimblepin here wanted to see my Dredd. Helm said they had room so I brought it. Check in, ask, easy as that. Did the same last year. Called ahead, no more pins allowed so I didn't bring one. It ain't rocket science.

I paid for a weekend pass (3 years in a row) and bought multiple raffle tickets which is a contribution to the event.

Thanks. What the heck does that have to do with complaining there are no games but not bringing one yourself?

And in my opinion does grant me a right to express my opinions on the event.

Absolutely. And I have an equal right to question your opinions and motivations.

But at the same time I see no reason not to let others in on what the event is like. It may help prevent someone was making a long trip to make it and then find out it is not what they expected.

Wow. How magnanimous of you! Here's the bottom line - and this is not an opinion, it's just the way it is - the PPE, CAX and PAGG shows are ALL made up from machines brought by individuals. We are happy to share our games. We set them on free play and after sometimes months of work restoring them we turn them loose for the attendees to play play play, play their little hearts out. It brings us JOY to see them being enjoyed by others. Now, I am so so sorry I didn't bring the game(s) *YOU* wanted to play. I'm sorry Brad didn't bring the game(s) YOU wanted to play. I'm sorry Chris didn't bring the game(s) YOU wanted to play. I'll apologize on Steve's behalf as I'm sure he's kicking himself in the ass for not bringing the one game YOU wanted to play out of all the ones he did bring.

Just throwing it out there you can throw it right back if you prefer

Thank you, Pinball MASTER, for your permission...

#32 7 years ago

It seems to me they had even less modern pins this year compared to the past 3 years. By modern I was referring to 80's and up. It really did seem like 80's and newer pins were outnumbered 3 to 1 by pins made before I was born

Well, the whole left side of the hall was basically SS and newer. Additionally, there was a row of ultra wide bodies which are also SS at the back right. It was a lot closer to 50/50.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Whoa. I got your vibe, dude. Now, before I bail the hell out of here let me address a couple things;

I respect your opinion and hold no anger within regardless of what was said. My opinion remains the same, sorry it seemed to ignite your anger/spitefulness the way it did. Maybe someone is having a bad day and that's okay. I see no reason to try and attack me for voicing my opinion but I will let it go with no negativity held within like a twig blowing in the wind. Hope you all have a good day.

#34 7 years ago

WARNING! THIS COMMENT CONTAINS NO DRAMA! hehehe J/K

I really trust your judgement and this one TDA. too bad this event disappointed you. I was thinking about flying over next year at least for one day to see what goes on. but it is very hard for me to just take a flight and go.

I hate to be disappointed to events I go when I get my chance and I expect more. I did not know that EMs dominated this event. I guess I should informed myself better since I almost made it there last minute, but I am glad I didn't. Did the responsible thing and worked.

I thank you for your honest opinion on this show and will look forward to shows where people and companies bring they DMD machines to the shows.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from tk375:

I thank you for your honest opinion on this show and will look forward to shows where people and companies bring they DMD machines to the shows.

Thanks for the kind words tk. I think you would love California Extreme. If you have never attended that one it is one heck of an event you may want to look into it next year. It would be great to see you there.

#36 7 years ago

WARNING! THIS COMMENT CONTAINS NO DRAMA! hehehe J/K

Seriously guys... Do I have to start separating you two?!?

images.jpeg

(I was talking about these two... )

So I was playing LOTR this evening...

and I got to TABA on the second ball!!!!
    It was awesome!

Oh and for the thread...
    TK, I think you would love CAX as well!
    Good times when it is all contained in one hotel.
    You never have to leave! Plus you can play until 2AM!!!
    I hope to see more Pinsiders there next year!

#37 7 years ago

And the color DMD on AFM was pretty cool as well!

Thanks for the update TDA!

#38 7 years ago

I respect your opinion and hold no anger within regardless of what was said. My opinion remains the same, sorry it seemed to ignite your anger/spitefulness the way it did.

No spite or anger, Dude. Just sayin', it's all of *US* who makes the shows wat they are.

Maybe someone is having a bad day and that's okay.

Not really a bad day but admittedly I got a little defensive. I apologize for the over-reaction. It's immediately apparent we both have a true passion for the hobby. In all honesty I don't think we have a disagreement at all. Just different (but not opposing) viewpoints. I also apologize for making you feel attacked. Not my intention at all. I do see where I was getting increasingly sarcastic when I should have just stepped back. Sorry, man. Olive branch extended........

#39 7 years ago

Olive Garden's Never Ending Pasta Bowl???
    Count me in Cliffy!

#40 7 years ago

Gotta be careful at OG, Nimble, or you'll end up looking like me

#41 7 years ago

I had fun at the show. I wish that I would have had more time, but Saturday AM was my only chance, so we were there at 10 AM. Bringing the kids was important to me, but they ended up being "bored" before I was really ready to go, so we left after 4 pm.
    I am "into" the newer Solid State DMD machines too. I was able to play a MM for the first time and I pulled out a can of whoop @$$ on it my first time I had about 3 multi-balls, and as many extra-balls, the guy behind me asked me if I played the game alot - LOL - It was all that Hyperpin training that paid off
    I also played a Tron, CV, POTC, and TOTAN for the first times too. I didn't enjoy the POTC as much as I anticipated. There was a really "pimped out" firepower with all LEDS, Under Cabinet LED and a LED Airplane Topper all running synced to different playfield flashers. It was impressive, but there were many other games with overkill of LEDs that were too much for me like the CV with about 10 RGB LEDS. It kinda naturall as a player to keep scanning the playfield for whats lit up - with 10 RGB LEDS cycling through different colors - it's distracting. All-in-all I had fun to be able to experience "real" games.
    I loved the really old non-electrical pinballs that were in the back. I would love to see underneath the playfield of one of them - they had a baseball one that kept track of balls, strikes, runs, outs. Another with canons that were firing, AMAZING technology for 1930's era. Loved the voluntere staff that would come over and explain a little bit of the history. I only found 1 bingo game, wich I was hoping to find more. I was trying to get my kids into the history of it all, explaing the gambling darkside of the silver ball.
    Ahh, all good things have to come to an end. I would love to pick up one of those old pre-electrical pins cheap - maybe one day.

Oh Yeah, IMO, that AFM with the colorDMD was really cool looking. It added another level of awesomeness. With my Hyperpin experiences, it was quick to see that it was an LCD. By glancing in at the left side of the backbox (the monitor was not flush mounted - just a hair, not bad), you were able to see into the backbox. I could see an decased LCD, but could not tell how large - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT to me. I would pay 399 for an LCD that was the size of a DMD, non-oversized. The monitor appeared to "drop down" further than a DMD, but I could not tell how much. If this colorDMD is a 17 Widescreen, it would probably stop the backbox from folding down regularly, and the size should to be disclosed before anyone should purchase.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Gotta be careful at OG, Nimble, or you'll end up looking like me

C'mon buddy, I thought you looked fine...
    Let's get a gelato and discuss current events!

#43 7 years ago

Well when I first got into pinball I was only interested in the modern pins also

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

I loved the really old non-electrical pinballs that were in the back. I would love to see underneath the playfield of one of them - they had a baseball one that kept track of balls, strikes, runs, outs. Another with canons that were firing, AMAZING technology for 1930's era. Loved the voluntere staff that would come over and explain a little bit of the history. I only found 1 bingo game, wich I was hoping to find more. I was trying to get my kids into the history of it all, explaing the gambling darkside of the silver ball.

This guy restores really old flipperless games. Some good stuff on his channel. I like Cannonfire!

http://www.youtube.com/user/animecrash2

Also, The Pinball Collector dvd is basically a rundown of many significant pre-flipper and woodrail games. Very beautifully shot.

Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Well when I first got into pinball I was only interested in the modern pins also []

Same here. I didn't really get into EMs until I had to play one in a tournament and really think about how to play the game instead of just batting the ball around. Once I did I realized it was quite clever and addicting. Also, there are certain flipper skills such as the alley pass and tap pass that are much more effective on EMs, and add to the appeal. Lastly, some EMs are super fun to play one-handed. Playing a DMD one-handed is extremely hard (too fast) but quite doable on some EMs.

#45 7 years ago

When's the Seattle show?

#47 7 years ago

this whole thread was totally "un-dude" except for the dude's part.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

I do see where I was getting increasingly sarcastic when I should have just stepped back. Sorry, man. Olive branch extended........

No problem Cliffy it happens to all of us at one time or another no hard feelings here. Olive branch gladly accepted my friend. Different viewpoints are the spice of life. I do agree 100% that those that put the event together and bring the machines deserve the communities thanks for all the hard work. I was just trying to throw out my honest take on the event compared to others and did not want to create any sort of animosity. One thing I did love at PPE was those huge nostalgic posters they had hanging they were beautiful!

Quoted from jonnyo:

I didn't really get into EMs until I had to play one in a tournament and really think about how to play the game instead of just batting the ball around. O

I honestly don't think I will ever get into playing EMs to the point I would want to own one or play for extended periods on them. I can understand why some are attracted to them though. I have put some time on them and they are just not my cup of tea. To each their own.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 32.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11,500.00
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    Electronics
    TheDudeMods
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 4.99
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 199.99
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside