Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by MXV
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

Dave & Busters sucks, they advertise "adult games", but no pins, first time at a D&B, I asked the manager where are the pins? His reply was "pins" whats that? Lame frickin redemption games and HUGE crane games, really,, why? Got bored there fast, went to local goofy golf where they had 9 pins to play. Also our GameWorks don't have pins either, atleast last time there they did not.

#53 9 years ago

The company I am with switched their annual holiday party to Dave & Busters a couple years ago. We got a catered meal and each of us received a card with $25 credit on it. After eating, I circled the entire place twice before asking where the pinball machines were and being advised that...they weren't. I went home without using the card.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

I agree with you and so did they. The problem was solved by pulling the games. The only remark I have made and will make again is that sometimes its better to keep the little things to yourself and have something to play than hound an operator or location and have nothing to play at all.
At my location every single problem is documented through an online maintenance log. Its documented with the game, date, time, person who found the problem, person who remedied the problem, date and time they did, how they fixed the issue, etc. It has worked well for us.

Half working games aren't worth playing. I'd rather move on and find a place that cares instead of wasting my money on crap. In this case of Gameworks having no games is preferable to the disappointment of a location full of broken games and them not giving a shit. Good riddance to Gameworks, there's other places more deserving of people's money and time.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

That situation was not different. Gameworks had league play as well. The problem is that location pins generally aren't good candidates for league play. Management in both places understand what league play is and meant, however when you have one of those stupid redemption games earn more in a week than all the pins in a month combined, they could care less. The pins were put in both locations as a courtesy, not money makers.

Unfortunately, this wasn't that hard to see coming.

I can tell you from personally supporting league play on location for 5 seasons it is hard to keep everything in 100% working condition. Games that get played a lot will break, especially the newer Sterns. I'm a pinball enthusiast, so I understand that games break and need constant attention. Still, the amount of time I have had to spend to fix newer Sterns vs 90s Bally/Williams, System 11, classic Stern, classic Bally is way out of balance. I have had classic Bally games that were almost set it and forget it, with only light maintenance required. I can't recall ever having a game with a known switch issue or gameplay problem last more than a week before being addressed. Anyone that thinks it is easy to keep location games running 100% all the time needs a reality check.

I always appreciate being notified if there is a problem with a game. That doesn't mean that I look forward to running out and fixing something if I was just at the location the day before.

Full time operators need equipment that isn't going to break so often, and makes enough money to justify the investment. Coin op is their livelihood and if the games don't make enough money to cover the investment in asset, time, and service, then out it goes. If pins were making a lot of money, the ops would be out there fixing the games as needed because the effort would be cost effective. Ops need lots of casual players playing their games to make it worth their while. Maybe pins should cost $2.00 per play with a 75/25 split to make it worth it for the full time ops?

#56 9 years ago

That would be going head to head with Gameworks. Also, their games would have to be free play or utilize a card system. Coin-op machinery is illegal in Schaumburg, you can get away with vending machines, photo booths, and juke boxes, just not arcade games.

I've heard Gameworks has been on the decline and almost dead the last several years but they still hang around...

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from justfury:

Coin-op machinery is illegal in Schaumburg ...

Are you serious? What possible justification can the city have for banning coin-op devices?

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Are you serious? What possible justification can the city have for banning coin-op devices?

You do realize that Pinball was illegal in Chicago, where they were all made. Well, Gottlieb already moved out to Northlake.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

You do realize that Pinball was illegal in Chicago, where they were all made.

Of course. There were a lot of laws enacted years ago against stuff like that, but it boggles the mind that a city like Schaumburg never reversed its stance on coin-op.

#62 9 years ago

Many years ago when I use to work for Namco I was told they had, at one point, purchased a spot in Woodfield to open an arcade based on the idea they were going to get the coin-op ban overturned. Didn't work out so well for them.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from justfury:

I've heard Gameworks has been on the decline and almost dead the last several years but they still hang around...

But yet they get rid of the one part of coin-op that is trending upward... It's not always about revenue per square foot. Maybe the pinball players and their friends/family were bringing in additional revenue that they wouldn't have seen without pinball.

Buh-Bye!

#64 9 years ago

There are U.S. towns that still exist where Pinball is illegal to play on Sundays.

#66 9 years ago

My son and I visited the Gameworks a couple years ago, they had 24, Sopranos, a new ACDC PRO and an Iron man and a TROn on lower level. The Iron Man PF was completely worn down around the magnets. They all played and 24 played the best of them. There were these two Douchebags that showed up that were picking the games up, slamming and dropping them, just being unnecessarily rough as hell on them. I hate to see games abused like that. I felt like hitting the dumb asses with one of their F-ing beer bottles. No wonder the games have issues. I mentioned it to a manager type on the way out.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

There were these two Douchebags that showed up that were picking the games up, slamming and dropping them, just being unnecessarily rough as hell on them

Two words: Tilt Sensor.

8 months later
#68 9 years ago

Went to game works today... Down to three pins upstairs... 24, family guy and iron man... They also had mustang but it was setup as a 2 minute challenge for tickets (downstairs)... Less and less every time I go..

1 month later
#69 9 years ago

Wait till level 257 opens, gameworks is really gonna hurt and probably pull all the pins

#70 9 years ago

Apparently it is open now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
$ 12.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disappointed-with-selection-schaumburg-gameworks/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.