Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 253 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pugsley
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5FC8B514-A395-4630-8BC8-DDF8E35035F3 (resized).jpeg
    41461008-27A2-4E17-BAFC-33BE2627A28C (resized).jpeg
    8A416F88-8EF9-4698-B3B2-5E5F712DD5CA (resized).jpeg
    A4C9FD31-56DE-4C23-BFE6-7A4160E2367C (resized).jpeg
    5732D8F3-DCE8-4C51-8595-6356B8202523 (resized).jpeg
    62C43C93-9379-4C70-8835-7027A1E40AA1 (resized).jpeg
    041B15B3-5E35-43A1-9B0F-7CD45CBEB8AA (resized).jpeg
    2271F624-DF95-4561-B36E-744C71AD3CC0 (resized).jpeg
    2AD74C79-4CA8-48DE-8622-1BB7F0908956 (resized).jpeg
    11BD95A8-25BC-4E1D-AC05-72AA9326BCBB (resized).png
    cactus (resized).jpg
    20211029_200416 (resized).jpg
    phone3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#164 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

People must realize that playing a collector quality machine once a month in your collection does not mean it will work at all for a 3 day show or tournament.

The vast majority of people that own pinball machines either don't know, or don't care that their game is janky.

#167 2 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

The Harlem seemed inverted me. I think the front legs were taller than the rear. How can the person who setup that game not have known?

This is simple. Nobody cared to check, or cared at all.

#204 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

The folks bringing games to LAX and Cincy and just about everyone I know into pinball around here cares bud. Most of the time I repair games on service calls people do want their game to play as well as possible. I love your attitude and blanket majority statement though, you probably make friends easily everywhere you go. I suppose it could just be a West coast I don’t give a shit thing and I just don’t encounter those people in the Midwest.

The majority of pinball owners couldn't tell you if a flipper was a little weak or a slingshot switch wasn't registering. They couldn't tell you if an inlane switch was busted or if a ball feed wasn't aligned right. They couldn't tell you if a scoop was erratic or misaligned. They couldn't tell you if a game was 2 degrees off level or the playfield was warped in a particular direction. I've also never been to a show where all the games worked and were set up well, even the PAPA collection when they still had their building open, which at the time, was easily the best playing public collection I've ever visited overall, had lots and lots of problems outside the tournament banks, and they had full time techs working for them. So while I'm sure you and your friends are doing great work, the majority of the pinball owners are not in tune to this stuff. They're just not. It's not me be cantankerous, it's just the reality of pinball. This stuff is hard, it's esoteric, it requires years of tinkering to learn.

#205 2 years ago
    Quoted from jay:

The majority of pinball owners couldn't tell you if a flipper was a little weak or a slingshot switch wasn't registering. They couldn't tell you if an inlane switch was busted or if a ball feed wasn't aligned right. They couldn't tell you if a scoop was erratic or misaligned. They couldn't tell you if a game was 2 degrees off level or the playfield was warped in a particular direction. I've also never been to a show where all the games worked and were set up well, even the PAPA collection when they still had their building open, which at the time, was easily the best playing public collection I've ever visited overall, had lots and lots of problems outside the tournament banks, and they had full time techs working for them. So while I'm sure you and your friends are doing great work, the majority of the pinball owners are not in tune to this stuff. They're just not. It's not me be cantankerous, it's just the reality of pinball. This stuff is hard, it's esoteric, it requires years of tinkering to learn. Show me 100 pinball machines and I'll find something wrong with 90 of them. Most people would probably find something wrong with 10 of them.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disappointed-chicago-expo?tu=jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.