Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 253 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pugsley
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5FC8B514-A395-4630-8BC8-DDF8E35035F3 (resized).jpeg
    41461008-27A2-4E17-BAFC-33BE2627A28C (resized).jpeg
    8A416F88-8EF9-4698-B3B2-5E5F712DD5CA (resized).jpeg
    A4C9FD31-56DE-4C23-BFE6-7A4160E2367C (resized).jpeg
    5732D8F3-DCE8-4C51-8595-6356B8202523 (resized).jpeg
    62C43C93-9379-4C70-8835-7027A1E40AA1 (resized).jpeg
    041B15B3-5E35-43A1-9B0F-7CD45CBEB8AA (resized).jpeg
    2271F624-DF95-4561-B36E-744C71AD3CC0 (resized).jpeg
    2AD74C79-4CA8-48DE-8622-1BB7F0908956 (resized).jpeg
    11BD95A8-25BC-4E1D-AC05-72AA9326BCBB (resized).png
    cactus (resized).jpg
    20211029_200416 (resized).jpg
    phone3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jazman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#160 2 years ago

My 2 cents:
    Carpet: If the trend continues to move shows from hotels to convention spaces, the trend from carpet to concrete is a foregone conclusion. The amount they charge to carpet the space is almost as much (in some cases more) than they charge for the space. So it's really a non-starter. I, hands-down prefer the "hotel space" type of show. But if shows continue to grow as they did pre-COVID, get used to concrete.

"Vendor" room/hall: Expo has always had hours where that area had limited access and I understand why. As a vendor, you don't want to be chained to that space for the entire hours of the show. Most vendors are just hobbyists and this is just a hobby business. They want time to relax and enjoy the show as well. However, Expo could learn from other shows and make the "new game" part of the vendor hall part of the free-play hall space. These things generally run themselves (or get powered off if they don't) so there is no need to put them in the with the booths. For those early games that need babysitting, fine put them in a limited play area or let the owner decide.

Berk/Pacak: I'm embarrassed and disgusted by what has gone on behind the scenes. Expo would have died if Pacak had continued to be involved as a number of key vendors/contributors were fed up. A lot of game bringers were also fed up. A change was needed (just ask those that tried to help Pacak organize the free-play hall in the last couple years he was involved). That said, I've heard rumblings the way that the collector community has been treated by the new group may not be much better. It's possible that Expo (as an event) may be better served by new management entirely. But, since the event is owned by an individual now, it will be up to him to figure it out.

Overall: I was there for the day on Friday and had an OK time. But, my main goal was to reconnect with some people I had not seen in a while. I'm not familiar enough with the area to know if there are decent places in walking distance to go off-campus to eat and have some beverages. The Westin was good for that (although that was diminishing). Convention center choices are abysmal and hugely expensive.

Hopefully the organizers keep an open mind and get the issues sorted out. Plus, need to get past this whole COVID things and on to whatever the new normal holds.

Jaz

#190 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

How quick we've forgotten the Wyndham O'Hare dump. Finally reopened as a Hyatt Place Hotel. Where Steve Kordek fell and never fully recovered.....

Um - that was in the parking lot at the Westin right? I was there when that happened. Poor dude got blown over in the wind...

2 weeks later
    #251 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Wait, someone was yelling at people at The Chicago Pinball Expo? No way. Holy shit, next you'll be telling me someone was honking a fucking AIR HORN at people at The Chicago Pinball Expo.
    Crazy talk I tell you, crazy talk.

That's funny s**t right there...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jazman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disappointed-chicago-expo?tu=Jazman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.