Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 253 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pugsley
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5FC8B514-A395-4630-8BC8-DDF8E35035F3 (resized).jpeg
    41461008-27A2-4E17-BAFC-33BE2627A28C (resized).jpeg
    8A416F88-8EF9-4698-B3B2-5E5F712DD5CA (resized).jpeg
    A4C9FD31-56DE-4C23-BFE6-7A4160E2367C (resized).jpeg
    5732D8F3-DCE8-4C51-8595-6356B8202523 (resized).jpeg
    62C43C93-9379-4C70-8835-7027A1E40AA1 (resized).jpeg
    041B15B3-5E35-43A1-9B0F-7CD45CBEB8AA (resized).jpeg
    2271F624-DF95-4561-B36E-744C71AD3CC0 (resized).jpeg
    2AD74C79-4CA8-48DE-8622-1BB7F0908956 (resized).jpeg
    11BD95A8-25BC-4E1D-AC05-72AA9326BCBB (resized).png
    cactus (resized).jpg
    20211029_200416 (resized).jpg
    phone3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Classics_Master.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#216 2 years ago

Something that always bothers me is when games are setup with the wrong legs. I saw plenty of Rob’s games this way. Gottlieb’s that needed 27” legs that had Williams legs, some older games that needed 31” legs have 27” legs (way too short), and some with even mixed legs that wobbled like crazy! It’s like they just set them up as quickly as possible, no care how they’re supposed to be or if games are level. Did anyone else notice this? Then so many cool games I wanted to try were either out of credits and/or not on free play.

#223 2 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

What need to be done so Berks games work?

Hey Mike, he had at least three full time mechanics there working on his games constantly. I believe a lot of the games were probably brought directly from the warehouse as well. The bad part was the mechanics I talked to said they didn’t work on EM’s!? Over half of what Rob brought was EM’s with bad mechanical issues! I go for the tournament and there was a Sea Ray there brought by Rob that was just terrible in the classics tournament, very disappointing. Not only were the flippers very weak, but the feature lights didn’t work on the playfield and the “game over” was always lit on the back, very confusing.
    The ironic part is, since I’ve been coming to expo starting in 1990 back at the Ramada, people were always told to bring reliable, working machines and on free play, yet when Rob brought his games about half were not this way. Anytime I’ve brought games, especially for tournaments, I make sure they are always tested and working as they should. Missed you being there and sorry the way things are there at Expo right now. Was nice seeing you at Cle-Pin!

#231 2 years ago
    Quoted from thetylander:I can’t believe I read this whole thread and felt compelled to post. I kind of just wanted to see what I missed out on. Sounds like a disappointment overall with a few highlights.
    I debated going, driving four hours and spending at least $400 just for me to attend, but I hit a deer and wrecked my car that week. So I decided I’ll take the whole family to District 82 in DePere some weekend instead. Same distance away, amazing place, much cheaper, and we can watch the Packers lose at one of the finer Green Bay bars the next day.
    The majority of this thread is people complaining about how bad the expo was… surprisingly, that might have been in the title of the thread!!!
    … and this was followed by an equal amount of people whining about the people who were saying how bad the expo was!!!
    Wow. Didn’t see that coming! I must be new to this World Wide Web thingy!
    When it comes to expos and conventions, it’s not about celebrating fandom, it’s about using fandom to make money, and lots of it. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, but you still have to put on a good show for the fans who attend.
    Many people were disappointed.
    WELCOME TO CHICAGO!
    In other words, a good Con or Expo is not hard to do unless you’re too busy maximizing your profits while minimizing expenses.
    WELCOME TO CHICAGO!
    Some people nowadays are DEEPLY OFFENDED by different opinions. They scream “Reeeeee!!!” and start typing “How dare you insult this!!!” , “I bet you can’t do a better job!”, “You don’t know how hard it is to do an expo!”, “ “You have no right to attack the people who put it all together you’ll hurt their feelings because they worked really hard!”
    …and so on.
    Believe me, nobody who put the expo together will have hurt feelings. They count the profits, smile, and prepare to do the same thing next year because people will come back next year regardless of how bad it was. After all, it’s the big Chicago Pinball Expo(TM).
    I like to read others opinions, both good and bad. Some people had fun, others didn’t. It’s nice to see these high and low points brought up and discussed intelligently. You get to hear both sides.
    What’s sad is how many easily offended people are into pinball. I’m honestly surprised that they haven’t (yet) attempted to have the more racy and sexy pinball machines cancelled because they’re offensive. Considering that most machines are offensive in some way, why are they even in this hobby???

Great post, and you’re right this hobby has changed a lot over the years. I was surprised how many first time attendees there were at this show, so they have nothing to compare it too...

I’m not a negative person, and I know there was a lot of effort to bring all the machines Rob did. I stayed at the hotel Sunday night and talked to the guys loading up games, I was told by one of Rob’s crew they brought four trucks and 135 pinball machines! That’s a lot of work, but sadly, many of these machines were not show ready, some were, some were not. Would probably have been better “less is more”, by bringing the 50 or so good working shopped games and setting them up correctly with the right legs and so on. It was more a bragging rights, “we have 400 machines”, but does that really matter when so many do not work? Reminded me of a of big game auction room with the concrete floors and such, just very different.

If you had attended the Westin at all, especially the last expo in 2019, just a major difference in what games people brought and the show/vendor area too. The hotel this year was very nice, but the convention center not so much in my opinion.

I think it just didn’t live up to people’s expectations, that’s all.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Classics_Master.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disappointed-chicago-expo?tu=Classics_Master and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.