View topic image gallery

IMGP0579.JPG
coil-mount-closeup-w-text.jpg
disappearing-post-assembly-profile_w_t.jpg
doodle.JPG
disappearing-post-guts.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Picked up a Doodle Bug machine on Saturday (my 2nd pin! yay!) for dirt dirt cheap.

But, cheap has its drawbacks....

The disappearing post between the flippers is curious.

As well as being installed 180-degrees backwards and jammed into the "on" position at the time of purchase, the plastic armature is being pressed incredibly tight against the metal assembly structure; requiring quite a large amount of physical force to move the coil plunger up and down.

Is this normal? I've attached a photo.

I haven't played the machine yet as 95% of the playfield is covered in black yuck but thought I'd just write to you all just to get some initial thoughts.

Thanks.

-Bob

disappearing-post-guts.jpgdisappearing-post-guts.jpg

#2 11 years ago

The smaller coil shown locks it in place (down). You may know this already I just want to be sure your not trying to force it up when it's locked down. Once the small plate on the smaller coil is pulled in I think the post should move freely up and down.
Alex

#3 11 years ago

That doesnt look right at all

doodle.JPGdoodle.JPG

#4 11 years ago

Just noticing one of the coil bracket screws is missing.. Maybe your bracket is slightly bent? I have a couple of games with this feature and there is some VERY minor contact between the coil bracket and the armature, but not enough to stop it from moving.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Like the illustrations (way2wyrd) It looks like that fin shaped plastic is just there to keep its solenoid shaft from rotating? If similar to a BX relay/coil assm. that spring #10-96a could be tweeked a little for easier engagement? Plus there is a screw missing on one of your brackets ,possible alignment issue causing binding?

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Jeff, I have just done a re build on my PC and forgot to keep a copy of Favorites. Can you please resend the link to me for the bally repair book, the one you got the image above from.

#7 11 years ago

Thanks for the help so far, everybody.

I'm attaching two more photos because, after looking at the image that way2wyrd posted, the mounting bracket for this coil is not a flat bracket, it's angled a little off the middle and I'm wondering if this is what's causing the problem. Should it be bent or flat like in way2wyrd's photo.

Also, looking at the mounting screw holes, it's actually not possible to screw in the left and right screws because there's a major alignment problem in respect to the middle screw (which I can't remove because the bracket's bent in such a way that even a ratchet set can't get to it).

The profile photo shows the post resting at not a straight angle and will not mount the orange circular ball-stopped flush to the playfield. It appears that the plastic armature is pushing the post's rod off true alignment.

The coil's sleeve was removed in this photo in order to show a little more detail on what I'm dealing with.

disappearing-post-assembly-profile_w_t.jpgdisappearing-post-assembly-profile_w_t.jpg coil-mount-closeup-w-text.jpgcoil-mount-closeup-w-text.jpg

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from bklossner:

The coil's sleeve was removed in this photo in order to show a little more detail on what I'm dealing with.

Your dealing with a very bent bracket for what ever reason. Time to hammer it flat and you will be good to go.

Ken

#9 11 years ago

I think you've found your problem. That bracket should not be bent. The frame that holds the coil is also likely bent in a way that is jamming the movement.

Here is a photo from one of my games showing the flat bracket.. IMGP0579.JPGIMGP0579.JPG

#10 11 years ago

Awesome. Thanks for the help folks.

It's whacking day!

// Error: Image 51957 not found // // Error: Image 51958 not found //

#11 11 years ago

Chris,

Heres the link
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=BOOK

Yeah the bent bracket has got to be it. I did a dipsy doodle with the same assy and the bracket was flat

#12 11 years ago

Wow! That parts supply reference website is amazing.

Spectacular! Thanks.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Heres the link

Thanks Jeff

1 week later
#14 11 years ago

Update:

After some hammering and pulling on the mounting bracket with some vice grips, the disappearing post works perfectly! Thanks for the tips everyone.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from bklossner:

After some hammering and pulling on the mounting bracket with some vice grips, the disappearing post works perfectly!

Awesome.

Enjoy your game!

Ken

#17 11 years ago

hey great- glad to see you got it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disappearing-post-assembly-jammed-doodle-bug-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.