Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by yzfguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Put a new set of balls in WOZ a couple of days ago that I had laying around from one of my other pins and it did not take long for them to start disappearing. They would be stuck together down in the ball trough and did not want to roll out of there. I had already ordered a new carbon set for WOZ but figured these would make it through the holiday before becoming magnetized. Wrong! Only took a few games before they started sticking to each other and the ball trough. So if you've changed balls and then lost them, check in the trough. It happened super quick.

#2 8 years ago

Hhhmmm, I never had this problem. I am not super technical, but do you think that maybe your magnets might have more juice going to them than other people? I know coils can have this problem because they are not regulated. When I put a voltage regulator on my machine, my flippers weren't shooting balls like crazy and breaking things. Wonder if the same principal could apply to magnets. If there is extra power going to them, maybe they get magnetized quicker than average?

Just a thought....

#3 8 years ago

Just the wrong balls for the machine I'm sure. The standard steel balls get magnetized pretty quickly VS the carbon type that came in the game originally. The set I threw in there were for my Who Dunnit and it doesn't have any magnets on the playfield. Put the old ones back in till the new ones get here and all is back to normal.

#4 8 years ago

Didn't know there were carbon based balls to put in machines. My WoZ needs a new set. Where did you get yours from?

#5 8 years ago

I had the same problem with my Lost In Space. I put in the expensive, mirror balls and it took only three games to magnetize them.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Didn't know there were carbon based balls to put in machines. My WoZ needs a new set. Where did you get yours from?

Trying these. Not sure they are the best but I'll give them a go. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PB116

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

I'd recommend these, worked great on my metallica and never got magnetized. Also they really shine http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Krorghar:

I'd recommend these, worked great on my Metallica and never got magnetized. Also they really shine http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325

Thanks. I'm going to order a set of these too. You can't ever have to much balls

#9 8 years ago

I wonder if those demagnetizer machines work? Or ever think of taking your balls to register at walmart and asking to run it across the demagnitizer panel they use on their security tags? Dunno just throwing ideas around.

#11 8 years ago

What about passing them through a degaussing loop. Like the kind they put around CRT tubes. Build a small one into the outhole so it passes through the loop every game.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

What about passing them through a degaussing loop. Like the kind they put around CRT tubes. Build a small one into the outhole so it passes through the loop every game.

This is a really good idea. Maybe even in the ball trough. Hmmm, would a tiny degausser work? Definitely like your thinking here.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from FXR:

This is a really good idea. Maybe even in the ball trough. Hmmm, would a tiny degausser work? Definitely like your thinking here.

Thanks. I have had magnetized balls over the years. But not often enough where something like this would be necessary. But if it is a real problem this could be a nice mode to sell.

So I want royalties

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

So I want royalties

Damn..., their goes the profits.

#15 8 years ago

Instead of passing it through a coil if something sitting in the trough like a VHS tape erase head would work that could be put in many places. But I'm not sure if that would remove the magnetic field or just try to align it.

#16 8 years ago

VHS bulk tape eraser sounds like a really good possibility. But you do bring up a good question on will it demagnetize or just realign the magnetic field. Degausser would definitely demagnetize but not sure on the tape erase head. Get down here to Arizona quick and will work it out over a few beers. Looks like you have the right hat on for the visit

#17 8 years ago

Find out what this is based on.

http://www.amazon.com/IIT-90262--Magnetizer-Demagnetizer-Tool/dp/B005N8X1WI/ref=sr_1_1

These are for screwdrivers so they are way too small. But at $5 there is not much in it and no power needed reducing liability of a powered product. There are ones that are flat. So I wonder if something could be made that can clip on the side of a wire ball habitrail for every time a ball passes by it degrades the field.

#18 8 years ago

Go to sleep, it's Christmas eve!!

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Go to sleep, it's Christmas eve!!

Oh...okay. But back to this in the morning. Merry Christmas !!

#20 8 years ago

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.95
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 24.50
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
13,000 (OBO)
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disappearing-magnetized-balls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.