You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

02_layout.jpg
01_schematic.jpg

#1 3 years ago

Hey guys,

Call me crazy, but I thought I read somewhere, or someone told me I should pull the one of the fuses out of my pin if I am using LED's throughout. Does this make any sense?

I am running a DE Back To The Future game with all fuses in...but I thought I came across something saying to disable the high voltage. I might just be crazy lol.

Thanks!
Jim

#2 3 years ago

I know if your using a ColorDMD display than you can/should pull the fuse from the DMD controller board that controls the high voltage section. At least on WPC games, not sure about Data East

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Hey guys,
Call me crazy, but I thought I read somewhere, or someone told me I should pull the one of the fuses out of my pin if I am using LED's throughout. Does this make any sense?
I am running a DE Back To The Future game with all fuses in...but I thought I came across something saying to disable the high voltage. I might just be crazy lol.
Thanks!
Jim

Has to be the DMD display, you can’t kill power to your GI or switch matrix. It is already low voltage anyway.

#4 3 years ago

No, LEDs are direct replace with incandescents. No further mods neede unless you want to control flashing/brightness then you might want an OCD board.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Has to be the DMD display, you can’t kill power to your GI or switch matrix. It is already low voltage anyway.

Ah, now that you guys mentioned the DMD I believe that Is what I remember hearing /reading. I do have an aftermarket Xpin DMD. Is it NECESSARY to pull the fuse? Or, what is the purpose because it is still working fine....

Thanks,
Jim

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Is it NECESSARY to pull the fuse?

No

Quoted from jimgravina:

Or, what is the purpose because it is still working fine....

Reduces power draw on the game, and reduces stress on HV components that aren't being used anyway.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

No

Reduces power draw on the game, and reduces stress on HV components that aren't being used anyway.

But does this apply to the OP’s DE Back to the Future + X-pin setup.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

But on his DE + X-pin setup isn’t the high voltage section still being used (though stepped down to 5v by XPin). So if he did pull the fuse, it wouldn’t still work.

The question took a detour into DMD games.

I'm not familiar enough with DE alphanumerics to say off the top of my head.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The question took a detour into DMD games.
I'm not familiar enough with DE alphanumerics to say.

I edited my question, and I’m not familiar with DE alphanumerical either.

#10 3 years ago

Yes, I actually meant my alpha numeric. I do not have a DMD like I said earlier.

#11 3 years ago

System 11 / Data East alphanumeric plasma displays require +100V and -100V. There is no +65V that the HV version of the X-Pin DMD regulates down to +5V. An image of the board doesn't show any components that would do any sort of voltage regulation.

Pull fuse F3 on the power supply board. Give the HV section of that power supply a well earned rest.

01_schematic.jpg01_schematic.jpg02_layout.jpg02_layout.jpg
#12 3 years ago

Thank you all very much!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disable-high-voltage-if-using-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.