• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_20141206_17_02_46_Pro.jpg
WP_20141206_16_48_51_Pro.jpg
WP_20141206_16_42_19_Pro.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider worldofglenn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hello Pinside!

I'm trying to help a friend out with his dirty harry. It's exhibiting some switch behaviors I haven't seen before, when you think it's all about the optics, then one of the physical ones throws you for a loop.

When everything is connected, the switch test shows rows 1,3,6 and 7 all closed (pic1). If we disconnect the optics by pulling off J3 from the 16 Opto Switch board A-169998, all of those rows return to normal (except the opticals that show show normally closed of course). We've traded out that board from my ST:TNG and the behaviors don't change, so we don't believe the problem is in the board.

When we pull the J3 from that board, and then test individual switches, switches 11 through 28 function fine (columns 1 and 2), when we go to test any other physical switches, for example - #61 Left sling, it will show as row 1 completely closed. (pic 2)

I *think* the switch matrix ties back to U18,U19 and U20 on the Security CPU board (Pic3, lower left) - U20 was recently replaced, should we replace U18 and U19, LM339's?

Is it possible to trade out the security CPU board from my ST:TNG with the Dirty Harry one? They are similar, but dirty harry has the batteries off the board and on the side of the back box.

Thanks for the troubleshooting directions!

Glenn

WP_20141206_16_42_19_Pro.jpgWP_20141206_16_42_19_Pro.jpg WP_20141206_16_48_51_Pro.jpgWP_20141206_16_48_51_Pro.jpg WP_20141206_17_02_46_Pro.jpgWP_20141206_17_02_46_Pro.jpg
#3 9 years ago

I really don't know what to suspect, I mention the Security CPU only because of U18 and U19, I think we suspect them more than the CPU on that particular board. The entire CPU security board for dirty harry is A17651, and for ST:TNG A12742.

The manual for dirty harry mentions:

The game uses a new Security CPU Board that is not downward compatible to the CPU boards used in previous games. The new board has an added security chip that can be interchanged between other DIRTY HARRY games and software revision levels. The CPU board itself is interchangeable with later model games, but must be equipped with the correct security chip and software for that specific game. ---- So, as I read that to myself now, it seems like I can't pull the entire CPU board out of ST:TNG and put it in dirty harry......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider worldofglenn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dirty-harry-switch-troubleshooting-help?tu=worldofglenn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.