(Topic ID: 111526)

Dirty Harry right loop gate always open!

By Fireside

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Changed both transistors and it works fine during test mode.
So what can I do?

Any help is really appreciated

#2 9 years ago

Make sure your loop optos and switches are working. Go into switch edge test. Roll a ball up the loop and make sure the switches are registering. Chances are there's a switch that's not working or registering that may need a diode, wire soldered back on or adjusted.

#3 9 years ago

I had a Dirty Harry. The only time the gate ever closed was only for about 5-10 seconds at the start of multiball and a few other instances. Otherwise, its always supposed to be open to allow for the full loop shot. Does it close when you start multiball?

#4 9 years ago

That is the way Dirty Harry operates. It will close while in letter bomb mode.It will stay open most of the game.

#5 9 years ago

i had an issue like this. i believe mine was stuck closed if i remember correct.

there is a spring behind the back board that controls the gate that is very difficult to reach.
the spring can detach or have issues. in test mode i would hear the solenoid fire but not see the gate move.

it's best to use a power drill and unscrew the back board to reach this area of the game.

hope that was useful.

m.

3 months later
#6 9 years ago

Anyone else have this issue? I just got this error a couple of weeks ago

#7 9 years ago

depending on the amount of gameplay, the coil itself could need to be replaced (I had to replace a toasty one on mine). as others mention, it should be open most the time and this small coil gets a lot of work.

6 years later
#8 2 years ago

My right gate loop is stuck open. In test mode the opto sensor works correctly. I replaced the coil with no luck. In test mode the coil is seeing voltage and I can hear a slight sound when voltage is sent to the coil. I checked the molex plugs in the head and swiiped them but still no luck. I'm thinking it's acting like the voltage is too low. Any ideas?

Thanks, JB

3 months later
#9 2 years ago

Turns out the opto sensor was registering if I rolled the ball through slowly or passed my finger through but would not register if I rolled the ball through at play speed. Replaced opto sensor and problem solved. The noise was the spring on the gate resting in the wrong position.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 37.50
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
7,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dirty-harry-right-loop-gate-always-open and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.