(Topic ID: 36748)

Dirty Harry pinball machine-no optos work at all-any ideas on problem?

By Cash_Riprock

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Going to look at a Dirty Harry pinball machine and owner states none of the optos are working. Any one have any ideas what could be the problem or cause or fix? Slightly 'fresh' to working on SS pins but thought I could get this one to learn on....or learn not to try and fix SS pins. ; )

Also, owner states game is in pretty good shape and it used to work. Not sure of price yet but was thinking of $700-$800 range. Any input on that?

Thank you in advance.

#2 11 years ago

Check the fuses, and connectors

#3 11 years ago

Uff...under the PF DH has an opto board were all the optos leave from...it's a PCB screwed into the wood....it will have a led on it, look if it's lit to understand whether it's getting power.

DH is up and down but if you can get it for $700 no one would pass that up.
Look for chunks out of the playfield from the gun...which is up to you if it matters or not. Mine has a little damage and plays fine.

#4 11 years ago

Don't fix it there. If you can get it for $700 or $800 ( doubtful ) grab it and run.

Not much to it really - opto power leaves the power driver board - goes to an opto driver board hanging under the playfield - goes to optos, their switch lines run back to the opto driver board, through your switch matrix, to the CPU.

So checking power at power driver board, to opto driver board, off of opto driver board, will really narrow it down.

LTG : )

#5 11 years ago

Thanks everybody for the input/answers, much appreciated. Going to look at it today.

#6 11 years ago

UPDATE:(slightly long, sorry) The good>>> Looked at game today and really not in bad shape. No broken plastics/ramps, pf is in nice condition, cabinet has some scruffs/scrapes/gouges etc.. Translite is in good shape. He said game played about 3 years ago and has been sitting and slightly worked on when he had time.

Now the bad>>>(which I would like some input on if anybody has any) Owner LEFT THE PF UP IN PROPPED POSITION FOR ABOUT 2-3 YEARS NOW...YIKES! Looks to be like some warpage may have occured in pf. : ( I think I have read about ways to be able to bring it back but will have to look around again.

Turned game on and horrible loud hum/screech sound from speakers...no idea on that and either did he and he knows some about repair on these games...or used to Unplugged sound board to check other things out. Confirmed DMD board is bad(swappped w/another board from a Judge Dredd) Will need new or have to have it fixed...which is what I'm trying to learn about by getting this pin but don't want to get in over my head/ability.

It ended up not being an opto problem. It is a problem w/the optos/switches in the trough. Guess I will need a new trough board or repair. We did get the game to somewhat operate which was a plus, but no sound and balls kept kicking out.

I did get his 1977 Gottlieb Bronco EM running for him...that was a positive! If only Dirty Harry was an EM...I'd have a chance. : )

There you have it. Thanks again in advance for any input.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Owner LEFT THE PF UP IN PROPPED POSITION FOR ABOUT 2-3 YEARS NOW...YIKES! Looks to be like some warpage may have occured in pf. : ( I think I have read about ways to be able to bring it back but will have to look around again.

So new trough optos are what...40ish IF you need them...new DMD is 140ish IF you needed a new one.

But jesus man I don't know anything aboot a raised/warped PF like that.

#8 11 years ago

If the playfield is warped, I'd just pass. Those sound boards can't be purchased. You'll have to fix it or send it out to repair. If it were me I'd pass on this unless you get it so cheap that you could part it out and profit.

#9 11 years ago

$500 out the door and I'd do it. The ramps and boards could help people out. I know someone has been trying to get ramps of this and plastic pieces lately.

#10 11 years ago

OR, if you really can get it at that price, you can part it out for some decent cash and come out ahead. I've literally spent a fortune on parts for my DH. Hey, I'd be first in line to buy the ramps.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

$500 out the door and I'd do it. The ramps and boards could help people out. I know someone has been trying to get ramps of this and plastic pieces lately.

Yeah, me!

#12 11 years ago

Grab it, worst case part out will get your money back.

Send boards to Rob http://www.lockwhenlit.com/ gGet GLM trough boards.

Leave playfield down for awhile and it may straighten on it's own.

Cleaning and stuff you can do.

And you end up with a nice game.

LTG : )

#13 11 years ago

Thanks everybody for the help/education/replies...much appreciated.

I know about the process to straighten EM pf's so it should work w/newer ones but may take longer because of weight. I was hoping in the long run it would flatten itself out if such a thing....as Lloyd mentions also. This game would be for me to learn about board work repair...stripping pf down...troubleshooting etc. EM's I've done many but never an SS pin. I've been into SS pins for about 4 years now and have some knowledge, but not enough yet for me to be comfortable.

Thanks again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dirty-harry-pinball-machine-no-optos-work-at-all-any-ideas-on-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.