Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Magicmike0
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Ive been slowly battling this dirty harry magnet issue. Optics were replaced. continuity checked. In test mode, door closed, it wont grab the ball.
But in gameplay on first ball if you choose ramp shot it will grab the ball. in the rest of the game, and in test mode, when the rollover switch is activated it will not grab the ball. I bought a new magnet assembly, but before I replace it, is there anyway I can test if the rollover switch is actually powering the magnet?

#2 3 years ago

If the magnet does work sometimes it isn’t bad.

#3 3 years ago

The magnet gets its power from the fliptronic board. Good place to start.

#4 3 years ago

Is the magnet controlled by its own flipper type button or by something else

#5 3 years ago

so the magnet can be activated by a rollover switch, or the game can activate when you shoot the ball out. there is an option to ramp shot, which goes to the magnet

#6 3 years ago

The magnet is controlled by the cpu board via a ribbon cable to the fliptronic II board. Since this problem is data related, the ribbon cable is suspect. With the machine off unplug the ribbon cable and reseat it to help clean its connections. All it takes is 1 wire bad or bad connection to keep the magnet from working.

#7 3 years ago

would that be true if it works on the first shot, then wont activate after? does the rollover switch have aconnection to the fliptonicsboard as well

#8 3 years ago

Rollovers are part of the switch matrix that get connected to the cpu. The fliptronic board still might data processing problems.

#9 3 years ago

I tried unplugging and reseating the two ribbon cables on the flip and cpu. It didn’t have any effect. I guess
I could just replace he magnet coil, easier to get to then the core and coil. If it works after that then at some point I can replace the core to get a
Smooth one back in
I went back to switch test and during the magnet test the opto registers but the magnet never turns on..

2 weeks later
#10 3 years ago

Any update on fixing the issue?

3 weeks later
#11 3 years ago

I haven’t made real progress. It got moved back on to do list. It is strange the when you first turn the game on it tends to work but after a few games it stops. It puts up the broken magnet code
If it wasn’t such hard to reach spot I would have just replaced the core and coil already to try..but it’s a lot of pieces to remove to get the mushroomed core out

1 week later
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I haven’t made real progress. It got moved back on to do list. It is strange the when you first turn the game on it tends to work but after a few games it stops. It puts up the broken magnet code
If it wasn’t such hard to reach spot I would have just replaced the core and coil already to try..but it’s a lot of pieces to remove to get the mushroomed core out

You can remove the two ramps and upper right plastic with a little bit of maneuvering the metal bracket that holds the optos are held in by 2 nuts. Chances are it might be a broken wire to an opto more than anything else.

Its hard to imagine the coil going bad but if you had a spare you could just plug it in and see if it stops complaining.

#13 3 years ago

The optos were definitely bad we replaced. I know the core is mushroomed. Strangely I was having issues with the ball heading all the way up from shooter lane. I switched out the shooter plunger and coil. Now that it launches it up consistently the magnet works better. Still gets hung up on the mushroom head but it seems the mechanism is working. Maybe it wasn’t timing it right with how it shot it up

4 months later
#14 2 years ago

Finally got a fix for my dirty harry magnet issue. Hopefully this will help another at some point. (SECURITY CHIP)
If you have problems with your magnet not working in test mode, or when the magna save is activated check your security chip on the mpu. I replaced everything that was related to the magnet and nothing helped. Chris "pinball pirate" took my mpu to a working dirty harry and when he installed it in the machine, it then had the same issues. To further test the theory, he then put my security chip on the working mpu and it then had the same problems. IF you are having issues make sure the security chip is from a licensed distributor .
Of course this was the only thing I didn't replace before..

1 week later
#15 2 years ago

Hmm. I’m having an issue with mine too. It shoots all the way up passes the magnet(when I select the ramp skill shot), and other times the magnet catches the ball and it gets stuck. During gameplay, the magnet gets activated when it rolls down the left in-lane, but fails to catch the ball at times. I will try the ribbon cable method, and look for the security chip too, I guess.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside