Dirty Harry gun problems...anyone help?

By Pinballer22

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Working on the finishing touches of a nice dirty Harry however the playfield gun is not working. Thinking it might be a board issue but also wanted to check coil wiring. Mine has solid purple and purple with yellow strips leading to the coil however the manual says the wiring should be purple and red? Can anyone take a look at their and possible post a pic? Once I determine the wiring is goo on to the board

#2 11 years ago

I don't have a game to check. But your game can help you.

Go into solenoid test, stop on that coil. Hit the start button, and then start hitting the + diagnostic button. This will step you through coil name, wire colors, fuse, transistor, and connector info.

Manuals can have mistakes, I haven't seen one yet in the game's software.

If that is the only wires in the area, your game worked at one point so I doubt wire color will be the issue.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

You can always ground the tab on it's transistor briefly and see if it fires. If not from the transistor legs to the coil and including the tiny wires from the lugs to the coil itself, you have a break.

#4 11 years ago

It has never work since i got the machine.
Thanks ltg, didn't know about that...will test ASAP. Pulled board today and tested q78 transistor and it tests ok for it has to be something else or is there anything else on the board to check before I put it back in and run the tests you advised?

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

It has never work since i got the machine.
Thanks ltg, didn't know about that...will test ASAP. Pulled board today and tested q78 transistor and it tests ok for it has to be something else or is there anything else on the board to check before I put it back in and run the tests you advised?

Time for board back in.

#6 11 years ago

Just put it back in...very cool feature I didn't know about! Now back to same problem...wire colors it says are violet-orange and red-brown and my wire colors are solid purple and purple-yellow.

Also tested q77 and q72 and they seem fine as well.....dang gun anyway

Back to square one...any ideas? Thanks

#7 11 years ago

Just took whole gun of again and found the purple wire had a break...will be fixing that and testing all other wires.

Still not sure how to wire the coil though....anyone?

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

Just took whole gun of again and found the purple wire had a break...will be fixing that and testing all other wires.

Still not sure how to wire the coil though....anyone?

Fix break and see if it works.

#9 11 years ago

Lol...will but trying to remember how it was originally hooked up...will see in a few

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

Lol...will but trying to remember how it was originally hooked up...will see in a few

One wire to each side, doesn't matter which side, no diode, so you can't possibly blow anything up. Let her rip !

#11 11 years ago

All that headache and all I had to do is cut open the heat shrink to find a broken wire...when I first tested the coil in test mode it made a loud buzz so I figured it was getting juice....guess not?

Did learn the whole start and up arrow for info...very cool.
Also learn that the colors for the wires were wrong

All and all by thanks to LTG and his help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dirty-harry-gun-problemsanyone-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.