• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DH sw.jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Picked up a DH recently that has a problem with the gun. If you choose load gun on the skill shot, it will load the ball into the gun but almost immediately the HQ hole fires like it thinks the ball is already in there. A while back I searched the forum topics and owners thread regarding this issue and thought I found something regarding it but can't seem to find it again. As I remember I don't think there was any resolution to the problem that was posted anyway. Any ideas on what to look at regarding this? The gun works perfectly in all other aspects of the game. Thanks in advance.

#2 6 years ago

Sure it isn't a switch matrix issue ? One switch fires a different one ?

I'd look for a switch wired wrong, diode on backwards, a short to switch wiring or switch lugs.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Thanks Lloyd for the quick reply. I took a quick look for the things you mentioned and the only thing I saw that looked a little suspect was the diode on the load gun switch. I'm not sure of the rule of thumb on which way the banded side goes but this one was not consistent with other ones I compared it to. On all the others the banded side went to the lug with no wires attached and this one was reversed. The switch looks like it was re-soldered at some point so they could have put it on backwards. Does photo look like it's wired wrong? Thanks for your help.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from supermatt:

Does photo look like it's wired wrong?

Yes, white wire ( and what ever color stripe ) always goes to the black end of the diode, not the silver band end like in your picture.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks, I will reverse that when I get a chance and hope that fixes the problem. I will post the result.

#6 6 years ago

I turned the diode around, actually put another one on because that one was a mess but still no luck. I took another look at the other switches and everything seems to be wired correct. The only other thing I can think of is the right pop bumper has been broken since I got the machine. It is missing the yoke and the whole thing is collaspsed underneath and not working. I haven't got around to ordering the part to fix it yet. That switch is in the same row as the gun popper. Could that switch, still wired properly but not registering have any effect on the gun?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from supermatt:

I turned the diode around,

try it this way:
DH sw.jpgDH sw.jpg

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from supermatt:

The only other thing I can think of is the right pop bumper has been broken since I got the machine. It is missing the yoke and the whole thing is collaspsed underneath and not working. I haven't got around to ordering the part to fix it yet. That switch is in the same row as the gun popper.

Easy to remove the wires to the switch and tape so they don't short anything and see.

#9 6 years ago

Thanks, I will give that a try.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

try it this way:

Moving the white wire to the other lug did the trick. It works perfect now. Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
$ 37.50
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dirty-harry-gun-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.