(Topic ID: 255559)

Dirty Harry Double Tap Both Flippers Game Reset

By MikieHead

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I know this is not an uncommon issue and have read multiple theories. I have done the low hanging items, like re-seating the power cables. Before I pull the power board and start reflowing solder or replacing capacitors I am hoping someone with more knowledge than me can narrow this down based on specific symptoms.

The game will reset Consistently if both flippers (all 3) are activated at the same time, TWICE in a row.
If both are activated one time, the reset is seemingly random.

My question is, does this point toward the capacitors as it seems that the stress of the double press twice in a row triggers it every time??
One of the capacitors has been replaced with a 35v, so it may have been an issue in the past.

Thanks for any insight/opinions/experience or even just jabbing me for my naive expectation of an easy absolute diagnosis!

#2 4 years ago

WPC game resets are fairly common, and can have several possible causes. There is a troubleshooting procedure here:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from MikieHead:

I know this is not an uncommon issue and have read multiple theories. I have done the low hanging items, like re-seating the power cables. Before I pull the power board and start reflowing solder or replacing capacitors I am hoping someone with more knowledge than me can narrow this down based on specific symptoms.
The game will reset Consistently if both flippers (all 3) are activated at the same time, TWICE in a row.
If both are activated one time, the reset is seemingly random.
My question is, does this point toward the capacitors as it seems that the stress of the double press twice in a row triggers it every time??
One of the capacitors has been replaced with a 35v, so it may have been an issue in the past.
Thanks for any insight/opinions/experience or even just jabbing me for my naive expectation of an easy absolute diagnosis!

This is commonly seen when the 5v is dipping too low because the power supply is weak. A way to troubleshoot this possible issue if you wish to stay cheap is to buy the daughterboard that supplements the 5v to the CPU off the 12v GI, it has an LED indicator if the voltage is dropping.

However there are many other good suggestions and this is not always the case, pinwiki has a list of other possible causes

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This is 100% the 5v dipping too low because the power supply is weak

If you have a dmm you could test tp2 for 5v. On the driver board.

#5 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/machine-powering-down-after-hitting-both-flippers

May have already read through this but if you read down their is a DH with the same problem.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

If you have a dmm you could test tp2 for 5v. On the driver board.

Yes but it’s hard to measure that split second drop when you’re trying to hit the buttons.
Not sure why the downvote TheLaw
Maybe I shouldn’t suggest it so certainly but I had the same issue with the 1995 JM and it was intermittent when 3 solenoids were activated it would reset the game.

I JUST dealt with it so that’s why I’m so confident. These PS are dying at this point and need to be rebuilt.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Not sure why the downvote thelaw
Maybe I shouldn’t suggest it so certainly but I had the same issue with...

Because this issue is far from a slam dunk, it can look exactly the same on 2 same machines and end up being diff'rent.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Because this issue is far from a slam dunk, it can look exactly the same on 2 same machines and end up being diff'rent.

There, I have amended my previous statement and removed the absolute. I have also added that other suggestions could be plausible as well.
Does that make you happy?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
7,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dirty-harry-double-tap-both-flippers-game-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.