• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by balboarules
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello,

I've been encountering trough issues with my Dirty Harry since I purchased it a year ago. There were some other minor problems that were a little more important...so it's taken me a while to get to this one.

The issue is occasionally on multi-ball (I'd say 50% of the time), the game doesn't launch the right amount of balls. Sometimes it doesn't launch any actually. Sometimes, I can bump the game and it will launch the ball

I've tried some suggestions from here - added the trough sleeve to prevent any magnet issues and I also replaced what appeared to be a dead/dying LED transmitter. The problem continued. Recently, I thought I'd tackle the whole thing and replace both transmitter and receiver boards, but the problem remains.

What should I test check now? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your time,
Mike

#2 3 years ago

Hey Mike, I would replace the balls. There is a chance that they have become magnetized, I had a similar problem with my JM and the balls would get hung up in the trough and if you hit the side of the machine they would then kick out. Good luck!

#3 3 years ago

I agree...if the opto board has been changed then take the balls out of your other machine and test them in the DH.

#4 3 years ago

Sounds like intermittent wiring connector problems.
With the machine in switch test, gently push and pull on the connectors to the trough opto boards and see if you can get the optos to open.
Rebuild the connector. Great Plains Electronics has all you need.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from miker_70:

The issue is occasionally on multi-ball (I'd say 50% of the time), the game doesn't launch the right amount of balls. Sometimes it doesn't launch any actually. Sometimes, I can bump the game and it will launch the ball

Sounds like the trough has divots keeping the balls from moving over to the trough upkicker, especially if you have to shake the machine. The trough sleeve I noticed doesn't always help. I think you may need to open the coin door next time and see where the ball are in the trough.

#6 3 years ago

Thanks everyone, I'll try these suggestions and see...

#7 3 years ago

I observed where the balls were getting stuck, then replaced the last ball - it's working fine now.

Thanks everyone,
Mike

#8 3 years ago

..and it's back. Now what? It was working for a day -- I played it a lot (amazing how great a game it is when it's working right).

If I open the coin door and look, the balls are getting stuck at the second spot closest to the plunger...about 60% of the time. It worked when I changed out that one ball. I tried changing out all the balls just now, but that didn't work. Even if it did, I don't really think I should have to change the balls every day

Anyone have any other suggestions?

#9 3 years ago

Ok, so I re-checked all the balls to see which ones were magnetized the most (in all my machines) and put in the least magnetized into DH. It's working again.

Sssso...is there a fix to this? The sleeve is obviously not working. I've heard about de-magnetizing with an old CRT device, or using carbon centred balls - anyone have any luck with either of these..or some other solution?

Thanks,
Mike

#10 3 years ago

What I did once in the past, was on the bottom of the trough the two front screws, I put in a washer between each screw and the trough, to give it just the slightest bit more angle, it worked like a charm.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

What I did once in the past, was on the bottom of the trough the two front screws, I put in a washer between each screw and the trough, to give it just the slightest bit more angle, it worked like a charm.

That's an interesting idea...I'm gonna try that. Thanks!

#12 3 years ago

Sure, no problem, hope it helps, if not enough, you can put 2 washers per screw.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside